• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I just registered my unlocked Note8 for the One UI beta but haven't gotten a notification or anything to download it. Should it be available to download immediately, or is it normal to have to wait?

Edit: I tried to check for an update manually again and this time it worked.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
After using an iPhone for a few months I went back to my older Android phone and was surprised how sluggish and chuggy it was performing, so much so that I decided to do a factory reset on it and now it feels like a new phone again!

Dont know if the last update messed things up a bit, or my tweaking of the PPI in the dev settings, or some rogue apps, but whatever it was is fixed now and it's performing as well as I remembered.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
YES! OneUI (and Android Pie) has finally dropped for the Note 9 in the UK. Been waiting weeks for this.

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
S10 is tempting but I think I'm going to hold onto my S8+ until holiday season comes around. The only new feature that's impressed me with phones since 2 years ago is the Pixel 3 camera, so I want to see the Pixel 4 and Apple's next line before upgrading.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
YES! OneUI (and Android Pie) has finally dropped for the Note 9 in the UK. Been waiting weeks for this.
I just updated and I gotta say it isn't great. It's slower and clunkier, with seemingly no added benefits.

And why ON EARTH is the clock in the upper left? 😡 This is important.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
My S9+ just updated to Android Pie and they've removed the option to hide the navigation bar.
The only way to hide it now is to turn on gestures instead.

You can't even change the colour so it not only consumes screen real estate from some apps, but it's always this big obnoxious white bar even when using dark background websites.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
My S9+ just updated to Android Pie and they've removed the option to hide the navigation bar.

You can't even change the colour so it not only consumes screen real estate from some apps, but it's always this big obnoxious white bar even when using dark background websites.

Couldn't you just use one of the apps in play store that hides the navigation bar?

Oct 27, 2017
Folks, I'm on the verge of jumping from a Moto G5 Plus to (I'm thinking) a Pocophone F1 in a few weeks. I've been watching a lot of glowing review vids on Youtube, but one dude said something that scared me kinda. Does anyone who has one on here have any problem with the notification system? It would be a huge red flag, but he said some stuff that alluded that it doesn't function like a typical Android notification system. I think it was like notifications showed up in the app drawer or something crazy like that. Any insight?

Lots of folks have said that their UI is a freaking mess, but I've been using stock Android (I believe) for years and years from the Nexus 4 to various Moto G phones. Can't I just use like Google Now launcher to give the Pocophone essentially a stock Android experience? I heard that Google might not be supporting that anymore, so maybe like Rootless launcher? I don't want any crazy UI bullshit, so I'm hoping just choosing a new launcher will essentially make everything cool. Am I living in a fool's paradise here? I can't like change the firmware or anything crazy like that, I've got to use this for work stuff too, and I'm pretty sure IT would frown on some nutty custom ROM or something.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, it sucks. Even worse for me since I use the magnification button which doesn't even work with gestures. I can also no longer quickly bring back the navigation bar by swiping from the bottom of the screen while zoomed in on videos, since that only worked when the navigation bar were hidden.

Is there somewhere that I can send feedback for accessibility problems like the one above? Calling support in Sweden does nothing.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, it sucks. Even worse for me since I use the magnification button which doesn't even work with gestures. I can also no longer quickly bring back the navigation bar by swiping from the bottom of the screen while zoomed in on videos, since that only worked when the navigation bar were hidden.

Is there somewhere that I can send feedback for accessibility problems like the one above? Calling support in Sweden does nothing.
Tweeting at them so that it's out in public is probably one of the best methods of giving feedback that I can think of.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

The Samsung Members app (might be called Samsung+ in the US?) Has a bug reporting feature. I'd submit it there.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but with Google+ shutting down, what are my options for seamless photo backup from my phone? My wife and I have relied on Google Photos for quite some time now, so we need to figure something out soon.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but with Google+ shutting down, what are my options for seamless photo backup from my phone? My wife and I have relied on Google Photos for quite some time now, so we need to figure something out soon.

Google Photos is tied to our Gmail accounts right? I don't think it should be affected at all?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Right, Google+ was their attempt at social networks. The other services are still going to be there.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google Photos, although debuting as a feature of Google+, is not affected by the depreciation of Google+. Just the social networking "pages"/messaging parts are going away.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
OK thanks. I was worried since I typically access my photos through plus.google.com -> photos. Good to know we're not losing that!

Oct 28, 2017
My phone's battery is dying but I understand we're in new phone announcement season. What should I be on the lookout for? Mind you, trying to stay below €250.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Mfw I want to have VoLTE, WiFi Calling with AT&T but also use a Verizon SIM for CDMA in certain remote areas when I travel, in a dual Sim phone.

Only phone that can do both is the iPhone Xs thanks to Apple holding complete control over carrier features working on all their phones.

Or I get an unlocked android phone that can do Verizon LTE, but no VoLTE nor WFC on AT&T, like the Blackberry Key2 LE.

Fucking sucks.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to pick up a Galaxy Note phone (would think the pen is useful for using the phone as a small note pad, rather than carrying one around). Is the Note 9 worth an additional $350 over the note 8?

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
How to get info on if the idea of an app is feasible without unveiling the concept too much ?
I'm a complete ignorant in app building but have an idea I like...

How much control can an app have on listening to incoming notifications ?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i used it today to take a great full framed photo of myself.

but if you aren't worried about the battery/spec bump save the $350

there's also the blood pressure monitor!!!

Bloodember

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Well, I just got back into Android. Got a Moto X4 Android One edition for Google Fi. So far so good. Haven't had any issues with it, except for all the updates it needed. Plus it's already on Pie. Google Fi seems to be solid in Columbus, OH.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017