• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Between the M-Series, Redmi Note 7, and the Moto G7s, somehow phone makers are back at it with plastic built phones. Metal is somehow forbidden and all phones need to copy the premium glass sandwich look. Better yet, besides camera and USB type-c, everything bar the SD660 in the Note 7 means that phones are becoming overpriced again for the available chipset. 2019 is quickly becoming garbage for the midrange outside of Nokia, and even they are with their faults considering the Notch frenzy they have going on.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You'd almost think there was this popular feature that phones have nowadays that require the back to not be metal. I wonder.
In the midrange which is between 150-300$/€, wireless charging is non-existent, and none of the phones I mentioned has it as a feature. I would agree if it was a plastic build with wireless charging and a better chipset because of the lower cost, but when the spec sheet is identical to last years midrange with only a noticable bump in the camera, there is no reason for the build quality decline.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Midrange phones have and will always follow flagship design cues, though. For obvious reasons.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Between the M-Series, Redmi Note 7, and the Moto G7s, somehow phone makers are back at it with plastic built phones. Metal is somehow forbidden and all phones need to copy the premium glass sandwich look. Better yet, besides camera and USB type-c, everything bar the SD660 in the Note 7 means that phones are becoming overpriced again for the available chipset. 2019 is quickly becoming garbage for the midrange outside of Nokia, and even they are with their faults considering the Notch frenzy they have going on.

I was looking at that Nokia 7.1 at Best Buy tonight. It's a pretty phone but...tiny. 5.8 aint cutting it in 2019. Honestly putting my S8+ next to it, my screen was both much larger and brighter (I'm pretty much OCD about screen brightness). Plus 349 is a touch high. When the G7 has a 6.2" model with the same chipset coming for 299 now. Plus for that matter the LG G6 is 349 now at Best Buy now and kinda looks better too.

Honestly the budget phone on display that held up best to my S8+ was one people dont talk about, the Z3 play. Big, vibrant AMOLED screen. Really only a minor step down from my S8+. I guess priced higher than the others at 399, but I think it sales for less.

What's annoying to me is how few mid range phones come to the USA nowdays. Half (most) the good budget ones dont even show up here. Like the Pocophone F1. Doesn't help the Huawei being blacklisted nonsense.

About the S10 I'm actually a bit excited unlike the S9. It looks like a major design change with the no bezel, camera hole in screen look. And I was looking, the Snapdragon 855 is now about 2x as fast as the 835 in my phone, single core geekbench being ~3400 855 vs ~1800 835. Thinking about it that way kinda drove it home. Although really, I dont really see a need for more power than my S8+, as it's fine in day to day use.

just dont know if i could stomach spending near a grand on a new s10 near release. probably not. especially when if i drop it and the screen cracks, which is a very decent possibility, it's ruined to me.

Honestly the fear of droppage and cracked screen keeps me from high end phones as much as anything. I cant abide a cracked phone. At least if it's a mid ranger, then I"m only out 200-400.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I was looking at that Nokia 7.1 at Best Buy tonight. It's a pretty phone but...tiny. 5.8 aint cutting it in 2019. Honestly putting my S8+ next to it, my screen was both much larger and brighter (I'm pretty much OCD about screen brightness). Plus 349 is a touch high. When the G7 has a 6.2" model with the same chipset coming for 299 now. Plus for that matter the LG G6 is 349 now at Best Buy now and kinda looks better too.

Honestly the budget phone on display that held up best to my S8+ was one people dont talk about, the Z3 play. Big, vibrant AMOLED screen. Really only a minor step down from my S8+. I guess priced higher than the others at 399, but I think it sales for less.

What's annoying to me is how few mid range phones come to the USA nowdays. Half (most) the good budget ones dont even show up here. Like the Pocophone F1. Doesn't help the Huawei being blacklisted nonsense.

About the S10 I'm actually a bit excited unlike the S9. It looks like a major design change with the no bezel, camera hole in screen look. And I was looking, the Snapdragon 855 is now about 2x as fast as the 835 in my phone, single core geekbench being ~3400 855 vs ~1800 835. Thinking about it that way kinda drove it home. Although really, I dont really see a need for more power than my S8+, as it's fine in day to day use.

just dont know if i could stomach spending near a grand on a new s10 near release. probably not. especially when if i drop it and the screen cracks, which is a very decent possibility, it's ruined to me.

Honestly the fear of droppage and cracked screen keeps me from high end phones as much as anything. I cant abide a cracked phone. At least if it's a mid ranger, then I"m only out 200-400.
Actually, despite the Amoled Screen, the Z3 Play is a rubbish deal at 400. The Nokia 7.1 you mention is basically the same phone but with a smaller screen as you said, and if you find that high priced at 349, then the Z3 Play is ludicrous. The Nokia 8.1 however if it launches at 400 would be an excellent deal. Other than that there really isn't anything superb for the asking price on the horizon, and MWC so far is looking to be a pretty boring one.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Renders of the Xperia XA3 have apparently surfaced showing off a 21:9 'Cinemawide' display

http://www.xperiablog.net/2019/02/06/xperia-xa3-render-leaks-with-cinemawide-219-display/

Xperia-XA3-1-640x640.jpg

Not too shabby looking for a mid-range phone. Glad the side mounted fingerprint sensor is coming back. Looks like they're separating it from the power button to get around the issues in the USA they had with past models. IMO it is the best place to put it, moreso than the back or in the screen.

Excited to see how the flagship turns out. We already have a lot of possible leaked info, but there seems to be some degree of doubt on that.

EDIT.

And just like that the XA3 apparently got leaked in someones Youtube video:

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The reverse Mi Mix is an interesting design choice, dunno if I agree with it wholeheartedly however. The metal chassis reminds me of 2015-2016 Sony though, which is great cause I loved that smooth pebble phase they went through for their metal/plastic phones when not doing a glass back.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
How tf do I remove the side nav bars on S9 Pie? So annoying

And the icons are massive now, even on the smallest setting

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Actually, despite the Amoled Screen, the Z3 Play is a rubbish deal at 400. The Nokia 7.1 you mention is basically the same phone but with a smaller screen as you said, and if you find that high priced at 349, then the Z3 Play is ludicrous. The Nokia 8.1 however if it launches at 400 would be an excellent deal. Other than that there really isn't anything superb for the asking price on the horizon, and MWC so far is looking to be a pretty boring one.

disagree. in person it's night and day. the 7.1 is tiny, screen is not that bright. $50 more is 14% more cost.

just saying the z3 was the only "budget" phone on display that didn't kinda pale when i pulled out my s8+ and put it next to it.

but at that price you might be better off spend a 550 for a one plus 6t. Mainly with the 6t you get a SD 845

i'm assuming the 8.1 is a big screen. then yeah, it'd be a contender. Is it coming to the US for sure?

i'm kind of looking at budget phones because may be giving my s8+ away soon, so i'd need a replacement for myself. all kind of hypothetical. plus i'm, just a nerd who loves gadgets.

So far the G7 looks strong, checks all the boxes for 299, mid range chipset, ~6.2 screen, modern design...

I dont love how moto phones look though and really the wallpaper...nokia has that pretty blue default wallpaper and Moto is sticking with that lackluster green background...I know you can change it but it affects all the marketing materials and makes the phone seem old IMO.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Should he interesting to see how well the S10 lineup fares considering everyone is upgrading less and less. The projected prices are really gonna turn people off.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Should he interesting to see how well the S10 lineup fares considering everyone is upgrading less and less. The projected prices are really gonna turn people off.

Why do I feel like every year, the prices end up being lower than the project prices? (for the main size at least). I'm only talking about a US perspective here. Didn't the S8 and S9 start at $720? Then the price just decreases a few months after. Bloggers and tech sites are stupid and useless.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Samsung. Wait a few weeks and it's oneplus prices
Even with the starting price after launch, it always ends up being cheaper than whatever the currency translated prices are that these tech sites posts as if it's confirmed, final information. Then in the comments people start complaining about the pricing like they have the memory of a goldfish and don't remember the past two years.

The Samsung S10e isn't going to be fucking $850 dollars.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Samsung you can guarantee within 2 weeks it will be $300 less on Craigslist or swappa

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Samsung owners always regret their purchase and dump on Craigslist a week later. Their marketing still gets people every year. Poor faceless.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even talking about the inevitable price drop. I'm talking about Samsung's own US pricing. None of these bloggers, YouTube personalities, or tech sites seem to be keeping up:

1) it's going to launch cheaper than what they're reporting (they have reporting false information the past two years and will again this year)

2) they never mention anything about the possibility of trade in deals for people with older Samsung phones (I received $350 for my S7E when getting the S9+, which was the same proceeds I would have gotten for selling to Swappa)

3) Samsung stuff always ends up selling for hundreds cheaper within the next following months

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a Note 8 Duos for $~300 yesterday. Did I screw up by not paying extra for the US version? US version would have cost me an extra $100 or so.

I wanted the 9, but didnt want to pay $700 used for one in decent condition. Probably just going to use this until the next Note.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a Note 8 Duos for $~300 yesterday. Did I screw up by not paying extra for the US version? US version would have cost me an extra $100 or so.

I wanted the 9, but didnt want to pay $700 used for one in decent condition. Probably just going to use this until the next Note.
Nope. That Exynos is fine.

The Exynos in the S/Note 9 is the one that is not that good, even less with that price difference.

Oct 25, 2017

No wifi calling on tmobile or AT&T. No Samsung pay without doing something extra. Really only difference

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So what's a good app to sync text messages between 2 Android phones.

Probably will jump between my S8+ and my Unihertz Atom depending on where I am.

It works with Verizon, so I'd use my AT&T SIM there too sometimes.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Anyone more excited about the S10E than the S10? I miss flat glass panels and smaller size. Tired of my Note 9 already.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
My GF does use a used S7 now and boy the battery life seems really bad. Samsung is offering a battery exchange for 50€ but I am not sure this will solve the issue (and they want the phones data for this... wtf.). I searched a bit and Oculus apps was an issue at one point but I deactivated all of that. Any more I can do?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
My GF does use a used S7 now and boy the battery life seems really bad. Samsung is offering a battery exchange for 50€ but I am not sure this will solve the issue (and they want the phones data for this... wtf.). I searched a bit and Oculus apps was an issue at one point but I deactivated all of that. Any more I can do?

The facebook app has always been one of the biggest offenders re: staying active in the background slowing down phones and eating battery like there's no tomorrow. If your gf can live without the app on her phone, it's the next one that has to go.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you live near a ubreakiFix store, just take it to them. They're sanctioned by Samsung and will only change what's wrong with the hardware.

Any software tests required that may or may not pull data will be done in front of you and they will state everything they're doing. When I had my S8 screen fixed, they even left my phone skins installed when they did it.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did she get it around launch? If so it's basically 3 years old. You're gonna get some battery degradation.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Did she get it around launch? If so it's basically 3 years old. You're gonna get some battery degradation.
We got it used so I guess that also comes into play. I wonder how much a new battery would improve - is there such a thing to see the battery health on Android/Samsung?

If you live near a ubreakiFix store, just take it to them. They're sanctioned by Samsung and will only change what's wrong with the hardware.

Any software tests required that may or may not pull data will be done in front of you and they will state everything they're doing. When I had my S8 screen fixed, they even left my phone skins installed when they did it.
I don't think those exist over here in Austria :)There are plenty of phone shops that offer repairs and such but honestly I dont really trust them.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for that foldable phone reveal. I know it'll be costly but I'm quite ready for something different after having the S8+ for 2 years.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Galaxy Notebook is too perfect of a name for them not to use it, or maybe it's TOO perfect of a name for them to use it and it'll be called the Note S Max or something.
i just want the Galaxy Buds to be even better than the IconX 2018 so they can be my next
Oooo, I hadn't heard about those.

If the case is a little smaller, better battery, and the price isn't bad I'd definitely upgrade too.
Maybe give it a slightly stronger+faster bluetooth signal and a slightly comfier rubber wing thing.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, this new Gmail is white white white. It's pretty nice, but would be so much better with a dark theme. I mean, it's not that complicated to make people happy.

The only thing I can think of is Google figures if they go with the white color scheme that means all of their apps can easily flip from white to black based on a system wide Android dark mode in the future.

It sucks total ass right now doe.

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
I have a choice to make.

Currently rocking the Ocean Blue Note 9 128gb (exynos as I am UK)

Somebody has offered me a Twilight Mate 20 Pro as a straight swap and I dunno what to do.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have been using Nine for a bit now (because of the Outlook calendar sync) and it is pretty good - I only miss some notification settings for some accounts like GMX where it only supports on or off, but not individual settings like Notification Dot. Also switching between accounts can be a bit confusing.
Is there any good alternative to this app that supports mail/calender/contacts sync for outlook+google and imap? I also gave DigiCal a shot but despite saying they support Outlook calendar sync, it does not work.