• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Xiaomi Mi 9... Probably the nicest phone that you can't get of you live in the US (well you can get it, but we know that it's pointless due to band support among other things)

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm more interested in LG's mid-range offerings they just announced. If the chipset is something not starting with a 4 this year maybe it could be interesting, especially that triple cam. Shame that we are somehow back to the nightmare of shiny glossy plastic frames, we are somehow back to the nightmare of 2014 samsung aesthetics in the 400 and under price range.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
It looks too tall and thick to be very portable which is supposed to be one of the big selling points of a foldable phone. It looks super cool and the specs are insane but yeah....I'm not feeling it this generation.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
4 different S10 models, Samsung is crazy with those tiers. Even the 3 Apple XS models are ridiculous, but one entire separate 5G model that steps on the Note Series' toes is asking for trouble.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'd prefer a normal sized phone that folds down to be half the height, rather than a tablet sized device that folds down to a weirdly sized phone.

A full-on 10in+ tablet that folds would be cool, I just don't like that shitty little screen Samsung put on the outside of the clamshell.
4 different S10 models, Samsung is crazy with those tiers. Even the 3 Apple XS models are ridiculous, but one entire separate 5G model that steps on the Note Series' toes is asking for trouble.
I already thought it was weird back in the S7 days when Samsung started having two sizes for their S series, the larger of which is basically as big as the Notes are.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think Samsung is counting on the 5G model selling about as many units as the Galaxy Fold. The S10/S10+/S10e will account for 95+% of the S10 devices actually stocked and sold.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Ruddock finally managed to paint himself into a corner

I dunno, my 6T scanner works quite well, even with a non official glass screen protector. Doesn't not register any more than multiple iPhone 8 series or gs9 series did. Not noticably slower either. I'll take it for the front scanner + not needing bezel.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Ruddock finally managed to paint himself into a corner
indeed.

he hates Sam more than the iBoys do.

meanwhile, in actual video footage of the reader...

jOKK8b9.gif

Oct 25, 2017
wonder if any the fat cats gonna get the Fold?

$2k is a bit too much for impulse buy for me haha.

I really need to see the durability tests, and the case and screen protector options.

I do switch between flagships often, and often got a few around (currently got a 512gb note 9 and a iphone x and op5t), but keeping them in good condition is quite important for me for resale purposes.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I really need to see the durability tests, and the case and screen protector options.

I do switch between flagships often, and often got a few around (currently got a 512gb note 9 and a iphone x and op5t), but keeping them in good condition is quite important for me for resale purposes.

don't you dare do it. Just leave this one

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'll wait for reviews,but I'm excited for the Samsung Buds more than any of the phones they announced.

I love my Icon X's so any improvements to them would be great. Double the battery on the Buds themselves is great and wireless sharing should be convenient.

The outer screen shouldnt be hard to get a screen protector for, but not sure if it would even be possible for the tablet part.

Even if a bendable protector existed that was as sturdy as the screen itself, it seems like the Fold folds so tightly there might not be space for one.
That fact that it does fold should help protect the screens when folded, just don't drop it in tablet form, haha.

Really want to play with one of these in a store someday. Once they can get the price down on these to like $1000 (and hopefully once underscreen cameras are a thing so no Notches) I'd definitely be interested in something like the Fold.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wait the S10 fingerptint Sensor is considered below average to average? It I saw tons of hands on videos, and it looks like the best under screen out there, on par with a traditional one. No screen on then flash, almost instant process, and it doesn't fail to read as much as other under screens.!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait the S10 fingerptint Sensor is considered below average to average? It I saw tons of hands on videos, and it looks like the best under screen out there, on par with a traditional one. No screen on then flash, almost instant process, and it doesn't fail to read as much as other under screens.!

Average compared to physical fingerprint readers. It is slower than those, but it is the best under screen one.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

I'll probably get it. I read a lot on the go on my phone

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I purchased an unlocked Note 9 thinking it would update faster. Guess I'll go with the ATT version next go around for wifi calling and visual voicemail.

Oh, what happened to the canary yellow S10E? I only see the flamingo pink. Oh, and I can't go with prism white unless I go to the 256gb version? WTF

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I purchased an unlocked Note 9 thinking it would update faster. Guess I'll go with the ATT version next go around for wifi calling and visual voicemail.

Oh, what happened to the canary yellow S10E? I only see the flamingo pink. Oh, and I can't go with prism white unless I go to the 256gb version? WTF
Some colors (like the green S10+ and the yellow S10e aren't (or will not be) available yet.

As for the Fold, I can appreciate it, but $2k for a Gen 1 product is too much for my blood. I remember jumping on the Note 1 and showing it to gaf back in the day...but it was only $600 at the time lol

Oct 25, 2017
samsung_koh_hold_fold.png

like idk man...

feel like realworld usage outside of sitting in that ideal situation of that demo... things can be rough. Definitely needa see it in person.

Also give me a s pen!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I just updated to Android Pie on my Galaxy S9+ and then disabled the navigation buttons by turning on the gestures and I've noticed I can't bring up the task manager from the home screen. Is that normal?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done a Samsung trade in? I think I'm about to go through this due to how good of a deal I'd be getting after stacking EPP discount, Samsung Rewards, and the fact that I can just sell the Galaxy Buds.

Oct 26, 2017
Dxomark has a short review of the S10+ camera for those interested.

Please note: We wanted to share the results of our tests with our readers as soon as possible and therefore produced and posted this short version of the Samsung Galaxy S10+ camera review. We will expand this to a full-format review in the coming days, so please check back soon for more comprehensive results and sample image sets.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The S10e looks really neat I have to say, as I am not a fan of those over-the-edge screens.
It's a bit cuter, more balanced looking.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I can barely justify 4K on my 55" screen. So no, pointless. The HDR is lovely, but hardly a novelty when there are phones with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision out there.
The main benefit I can see to having a full 4K screen is that digital movie apps like Vudu should finally support 4K HDR on mobile (not counting streaming stuff like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon).

To my knowledge only the iPhones X's do HDR with movies and even then only on iTunes movies. Ideally Vudu and other digital movie apps would do what Apple does and allow HDR for sub-4k phone screens, but until then I guess having a 4K screen is probably the only way to do that on Android.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done a Samsung trade in? I think I'm about to go through this due to how good of a deal I'd be getting after stacking EPP discount, Samsung Rewards, and the fact that I can just sell the Galaxy Buds.
The comments over on Slickdeals talk about it being hellish for what it is worth.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Does T-mobile Wifi-Calling work on unlocked Samsung phones?
Looking online it sound like it does, I just want to double check.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
works on my unlocked note 9, pixel 2xl, oneplus phones since 3. main reason I switched to tmobile
Sweet.

Already pre-ordered the S10 from Samsung, even if the trade-in process is a pain I'm still getting about $200 more for my iPhone 8 than I would selling it on Swappa.
Already wanted the Samsung Buds so that's a nice bonus.

Don't really need a new phone at all (currently have an XS Max I'm fairly happy with except that it's a bit large and heavy), but worst case I can always just flip it on Swappa and still come out on top.
I do miss Samsung Pay and Android's version of SwiftKey (I suck at typing on iPhones).

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
The main benefit I can see to having a full 4K screen is that digital movie apps like Vudu should finally support 4K HDR on mobile (not counting streaming stuff like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon).

To my knowledge only the iPhones X's do HDR with movies and even then only on iTunes movies. Ideally Vudu and other digital movie apps would do what Apple does and allow HDR for sub-4k phone screens, but until then I guess having a 4K screen is probably the only way to do that on Android.

Netflix does HDR on several devices.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon do HDR for a few shows and movies. I was talking more specifically about digital movie libraries like Vudu or Movies Anywhere.

Youtube does HDR on my Xperia XZ Premium as well and is quite lovely.

I do like the design of the Xperia 1 more than the 2018 units, glad they went back to a more classic Xperia design. Also glad they've changed up the naming scheme. Looks like they're going to follow their point and shoot camera naming scheme where the 1 is the high end, and the 10 is either a mid or low end phone. If the 10 is a mid range then I expect a low end model might get the 100 name. It's a better, easier to understand structure to build off I think.

Still curious to see if there will be a Premium variant announced. Only a couple more days to go.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Anyone has experience with this Samsung backup and switching/restoring phones? Like, does it backup your whole phone including launcher, settings etc., like an iPhone iTunes backup would do?
If not - is there anythig that can do that?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone has experience with this Samsung backup and switching/restoring phones? Like, does it backup your whole phone including launcher, settings etc., like an iPhone iTunes backup would do?
I was told by someone who used it that it does back up everything.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

If you're using Samsung's launcher you should be fine.

If you're using something like Nova etc then it might be best to back up your launcher settings separately if you can because unless I was doing something wrong restoring from backup would not restore my third party launcher to exactly how it was.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So is the S10E going to have 8gb too? Samsung apparently said the S10 devices would have 8gb minimum across the board. Is the S10E included in that statement?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually super interested in the S10+. If after 6 months or so, performance seems good and the battery doesn't seem to go to shit I can see myself picking up one on the cheap after the prices crater.