• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I was never a fan of Samsung really, main reason was/is because everyone seems to own one. But now that Huawei is the new "favourite" (yuck) and the S10 line looks really neat plus my SO's S7 still recieving updates - they gained some plus points in my book.
If Nokia is not shoing something interesting I will sure consider the S10e this summer.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
I'm getting exciting again on smartsphone...

Mmmm...the the Fold, I might just go for it, but it might be too thick.

Hmm..Xperia 1, I'm a sucker for 4k xperia phones...and this time it's oled!!

No more Chinese phone!!

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I just updated to Android Pie on my Galaxy S9+ and then disabled the navigation buttons by turning on the gestures and I've noticed I can't bring up the task manager from the home screen. Is that normal?

Works for me. Have uou rebooted/updated all the Samsung apps?

Anyone has experience with this Samsung backup and switching/restoring phones? Like, does it backup your whole phone including launcher, settings etc., like an iPhone iTunes backup would do?
If not - is there anythig that can do that?

Backs up everything except app data/obb files.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Works for me. Have uou rebooted/updated all the Samsung apps?

It turns out Samsung Pay had to be killed and relaunched even though it had updated. It was taking over the swiping up area in the old version but the new version narrows that region to allow space on the side for that gesture. Killing it made sure it was using the new version.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Question about RCS messages: one of the benefitsnis being able to send larger file sizes to people, so would still work if I send a message with images to someone using iMessage? (or does it have to be between two phones with RCS?)

My fiancé uses an iPhone and she's always asking me to send her photos I take of us, but texting them in the past has noticeably lowered there quality, and she doesn't use Google Photos Soni can share them that way.
I don't like losing out on RCS though. It know it only works up between T Mobile phones that have it, it was really nice..
If that's the case I think I might actually cancel my S10 order and switch to a T-mo version.

I wanted it in the first place, but they were out of the 128gb S10's when u was pre-ordering. Says it might take an extra week to get to me, but that's not bad at all.

Last edited:

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about RCS messages: one of the benefitsnis being able to send larger file sizes to people, so would still work if I send a message with images to someone using iMessage? (or does it have to be between two phones with RCS?)

My fiancé uses an iPhone and she's always asking me to send her photos I take of us, but texting them in the past has noticeably lowered there quality, and she doesn't use Google Photos Soni can share them that way.
it has to be two phones with RCS.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Huawei should make a phone model called "Man" to market to Newcastle in the UK.
The entire population of the city would buy a phone called the "Huawei Man"

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

Best way is using Google Photos, it can't be that difficult for her to install it... I have my account set up to share photos of my gf with her automatically and her account send me my photos automatically. We don't need to be asking each other to send this or that photo. It only shares those photos so there really is no privacy lost.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Best way is using Google Photos, it can't be that difficult for her to install it... I have my account set up to share photos of my gf with her automatically and her account send me my photos automatically. We don't need to be asking each other to send this or that photo. It only shares those photos so there really is no privacy lost.

Google photos made sharing stuff with my family mad easy. We can all contribute to one album by adding photos we took for an event or holiday.

Unless your wife is firmly against using Google apps, there's no reason why she shouldn't have photos. Same thing applies to any iOS user. They are always shocked when I explain you can back an unlimited amount of photos at high quality. They really do live in their own land and do not give a fuck anything not iPhone (talking most users here).

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Verge link

Here is your complete Xperia lineup. Highly interested in Xperia 1
Sony_XPeria_1_grey_and_silver.jpg

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish my S8+ would hurry up and get Pie.

I think Samsung's One UI is a massive step forward, and I want the dark mode.

It being 2019 and I'm still waiting for a 9 month old OS makes me just shrug and say this will never be fixed until Fuschia.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
How do I fix apps not being able to get updates/notifications while sleeping since Pie?

Mostly talking about GMail, I want to feel the vibration and see my notification light when I get the email, not 15 seconds after I wake my phone hours after actually getting the email?

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Wish my S8+ would hurry up and get Pie.

I think Samsung's One UI is a massive step forward, and I want the dark mode.

It being 2019 and I'm still waiting for a 9 month old OS makes me just shrug and say this will never be fixed until Fuschia.

On the one hand, OneUI is legit. It may be the best Android skin, pixel launcher included. On the other hand, the update sucks up battery. This is why, despite the whining, I would prefer to get the .1 releases on new Android versions. I may need to do a full wipe but I'm kinda lazy. I have everything set up how I like it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have a Mobile World Congress thread? Or are we using this thread?

Anyway, I probably have to upgrade my phone soon. I'm on a Huawei P9 Lite 16GB which have pleased me well, but the storage space is turning out to be an issue, since I have to empty my photo folders once in a while. So I should be looking for a phone with at least 128GB storage and a great camera.

I'm probably gonna end up with either a cheap Pocophone F2, a Nokia 9 Pureview or Samsung Galaxy S10. Dunno how Huawei P30 Pro is doing.

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal
We don't have a Mobile World Congress thread? Or are we using this thread?

Anyway, I probably have to upgrade my phone soon. I'm on a Huawei P9 Lite 16GB which have pleased me well, but the storage space is turning out to be an issue, since I have to empty my photo folders once in a while. So I should be looking for a phone with at least 128GB storage and a great camera.

I'm probably gonna end up with either a cheap Pocophone F2, a Nokia 9 Pureview or Samsung Galaxy S10. Dunno how Huawei P30 Pro is doing.

You can grab a P20 Pro for quite cheap, and you'll get a better battery than the S10, fantastic camera, great sound and screen, at a quite cheap price. 128GB, 6GB of RAM. Around here it's 589 euros already, it came out costing 900 euros.

S10 is a nice choice I like the device as well, albeit more expensive than P20 Pro and not a clear cut better device in *every* aspect. You'd more than be happy with it tho, surely.

Pocophone is a great phone with a few concessions but an incredible price. Camera is not as good as P20 Pro or the S10. Miles better than the P9 Lite in everything, and much cheaper than P20 Pro and S10.

Can't comment on the Nokia 9 as I have to use it and try it to give any sort of opinion.

But you have 3 great choices (including my P20 Pro suggestion), at 3 completely different price points. You can't go wrong with any of them.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
You can grab a P20 Pro for quite cheap, and you'll get a better battery than the S10, fantastic camera, great sound and screen, at a quite cheap price. 128GB, 6GB of RAM. Around here it's 589 euros already, it came out costing 900 euros.

S10 is a nice choice I like the device as well, albeit more expensive than P20 Pro and not a clear cut better device in *every* aspect. You'd more than be happy with it tho, surely.

Pocophone is a great phone with a few concessions but an incredible price. Camera is not as good as P20 Pro or the S10. Miles better than the P9 Lite in everything, and much cheaper than P20 Pro and S10.

Can't comment on the Nokia 9 as I have to use it and try it to give any sort of opinion.

But you have 3 great choices (including my P20 Pro suggestion), at 3 completely different price points. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Thanks for these recommendations and impressions. Something for me to think on.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a shot without the deceptive wallpaper so we can see the actual bezel size?

That's all I got right now, I believe most previous images have been renders.

In that pic though you can see the line of the top bezel, and it seems the bottom bezel is either the same size or a bit smaller if renders are to be believed.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, the LG G8 looks awful. Now more than ever it looks like LG is just phoning it in and releasing a phone every year just to say they released a phone that year.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about the sound on screen thing. I imagine it's like what Sony does with it's OLED TV's
Doesn't mean it's good though

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played around with the S10 line today at Best Buy. The S10e feels pretty good in-hand. And it's really light. Don't know how it would be with a case, though.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's there a way to bring my Hangouts stuff to messages? How is Messages btw? I thought Google was going to do away with Hangouts.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
5 cameras on a phone seems as terrible as having two phones stick together and make it foldable.
Everyone saying "phones got interesting again" - nope. Phones got clumsy and silly again.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm disappointed Nokia didn't announce a midrange device.
Midrange is boring as fuck this MWC. Sony Xperia 10/10+ are great packages with questionable SoC choices, Lenovo Tab V7 would be great if it was a Snapdragon 636, but the aging 450 tanks any prospects of buying it, and while the new A-Series looks luscious, Samsung can fuck right off with that Glasttic bullshit considering the phones will sell for about 400€. Alcatel and Archos are at least trying to be creative, but that means nothing if there is no value for money.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Xperia 1 looks good, but I know it wouldn't be enough to sway me to reconsider. The only phones that can make me do that at this point is the Note 10, One Plus 7, or Google Pixel.

Unless Android Q addresses one handed use, I really won't care much about it. The only thing from the Pixel software I actually envy is the call screening tech. Also, since the Google Camera APK keeps getting ported, I don't know how much that will matter even if I still use Google's software there.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, OneUI is legit. It may be the best Android skin, pixel launcher included. On the other hand, the update sucks up battery. This is why, despite the whining, I would prefer to get the .1 releases on new Android versions. I may need to do a full wipe but I'm kinda lazy. I have everything set up how I like it.

For anyone new major Android update you should be doing a factory reset. I did the same after going through 4 beta updates and battery life is back to the good days where it definitely took a hit during the beta period. Still closer to 6 hours of on screen (I'll typically end the day around 3 hours or so, with 50% left).