• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone new major Android update you should be doing a factory reset. I did the same after going through 4 beta updates and battery life is back to the good days where it definitely took a hit during the beta period. Still closer to 6 hours of on screen (I'll typically end the day around 3 hours or so, with 50% left).

Yeah, I finally reset it. We'll see how it goes. I kinda want an S10 anyway.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

how the fuck do I never here about these issues from people who champion stock android? what are these guys doing on their phone?

my S9+ has almost never ran into similar issues (I say almost never because there have been a few select times where there was a weird hiccup and everything ran slow because of 1 act app acting up). But I also do things like factory reset after every major upgrade. Not sure if they do the same.

Deleted member 1299

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baltimore, MD USA
Just had all three Galaxy 10 phones in my hands.

Think the hole punch looks much better in person than in images or videos online.

The white on the 10E is very pearl looking. It's nice and definitely the one I would gravitate towards if I were in the market and wanted to jump back into bed with Samsung.

Don't entirely love their skinned over Pie os, but I'm sure I could easily adjust.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck do I never here about these issues from people who champion stock android? what are these guys doing on their phone?

my S9+ has almost never ran into similar issues (I say almost never because there have been a few select times where there was a weird hiccup and everything ran slow because of 1 act app acting up). But I also do things like factory reset after every major upgrade. Not sure if they do the same.

Because the phones work great till (if) they crap out on you. My (multiple) Nexus 5xs and 6P both worked great till they hit their respective hardware issues and started showing all these weird symptoms. Hardware issues on a certain percentage of products are expected, but Google phones just seem to have a very high rate of failure.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Decided it's time for an upgrade, as my S7 Edge's battery is embarrassing at this point, and the screen has permanent pink lines now (and it's been smashed for like a year and a half)

I'm quite keen to go back to pure ish Android, have always planned to get a pixel next but the 3 is currently a bit more expensive than I'd like to pay.

The Nokia Pureview for £549 seems pretty good.

I guess I'm after as pure Android as possible, a p good camera and at least the battery my S7 had when it was new

IDGAF about headphone jacks or notches

What are the best options in the Pixel 3 downwards price bracket?

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really curious about what performance and improvements the Note10 will have, cause that's probably going to be my next phone. Do Notes share the same Exynos as the S line of the same year?

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Xiaomi just had their launch event for the Redmi Note 7. The Redmi Note 7 Pro was officially revealed, Snapdragon 675 and Sony IMX586 camera sensor confirmed. 4GB/64GB Rs. 13,999 ($196.77), 6GB/128 Rs. 16999 ($238.94).

Ordering one of these things international is gonna be a fucking madhouse.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Xiaomi just had their launch event for the Redmi Note 7. The Redmi Note 7 Pro was officially revealed, Snapdragon 675 and Sony IMX586 camera sensor confirmed. 4GB/64GB Rs. 13,999 ($196.77), 6GB/128 Rs. 16999 ($238.94).

Ordering one of these things international is gonna be a fucking madhouse.
Its likely that the Redmi Note 7 Pro will be the international Redmi Note 7, with the Redmi Note 7 being the Redmi 7 Plus in the west. I would just wait instead of importing.

DrAg0nBoY

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know. I wanted my next phone to be the One Plus 7, but I am not sure I like the pop-up selfie camera. Should I rather wait and buy the 6t when/if a price drop happens?

Oct 27, 2017
OnePlus phones always feel a bit behind the times with their phones but it hasn't been a big deal usually. Having a pop up camera when we're already on small cut outs feels full on archaic tbh. One would hope the OP7T will go with that design.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
OnePlus phones always feel a bit behind the times with their phones but it hasn't been a big deal usually. Having a pop up camera when we're already on small cut outs feels full on archaic tbh. One would hope the OP7T will go with that design.
Punch holes versus cutouts are a tossup, though both are better than the notch. Given how little I use front cameras, I'd rather have a popup or slider camera and just have a full screen phone.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Cutouts and the notch are exactly the same thing. Just because you can now draw a pretty circle around the hole, doesn't mean you gained anything useful by having some extra pixels around the camera that do nothing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Cutouts and the notch are exactly the same thing. Just because you can now draw a pretty circle around the hole, doesn't mean you gained anything useful by having some extra pixels around the camera that do nothing.
Cutouts still provide usable real estate behind and around where the hole , going a longer way of preserving the scene of whatever you're viewing. it's still annoying, but in the same way channel logos are, versus someone standing in front of the screen.

At least the S10/Huawei Nova 4/V20 hole punches, the S10+ camera hole is maybe 5-10% better than an iPhone/Pixel styled notch. Best notch is the teardrop tho, because at least it looks nice.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Cutouts still provide usable real estate behind and around where the hole
Pointless real estate that just emphasises the fact there's a big hole in your screen.

the S10+ camera hole is maybe 5-10% better than an iPhone/Pixel styled notch
Come on lol...

Best notch is the teardrop tho, because at least it looks nice.
There you go.

Doesn't change the fact that none of this is an improvement over the OnePlus 7 solution.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Not even slightly. It looks so much better than any cut out that I would finally consider OnePlus above a lot of the big boys for the first time.

Oct 27, 2017
If OP were trying to be cutting edge, they'd be going for a rear screen approach. I don't dislike pop-up camera but we've already found more elegant solutions. It feels like OP are 8-10 months behind the trend here.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That camera looks so gimmicky. I think Samsung got it right with the hole punch and everyone else just looks a bit silly now.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
One Plus unfortunately has to work with whatever upper-midrange parts Oppo provides them in order to upgrade them to a flagship snapdragon and call it a day. Same as removing the headphone jack and having a notch, if that's what Oppo is having, One Plus will have to go with it as well even if it paints them as hypocrites (don't forget One Plus criticised other OEMs for removing the jack like 6 months before)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone has excuses when Samsung can pack a 4100mah battery, 90% screen to body ratio qhd display + expandable memory + heart rate sensor that most ppl don't even know exists, triple cameras + 2 cameras, stereo speakers on the front in a 170g package.

yet still have room for a headphone jack.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to say I'd probably get a S10e over the OP7, even with the Samsung bloat. I don't use the front facing camera, but I don't want another thing that could break, and at least Samsung had the courage to bring back the headphone jack.

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard enough horror stories working with oneplus customer support that I'm probably good with not getting a OP phone with finicky parts.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone has excuses when Samsung can pack a 4100mah battery, 90% screen to body ratio qhd display + expandable memory + heart rate sensor that most ppl don't even know exists, triple cameras + 2 cameras, stereo speakers on the front in a 170g package.

yet still have room for a headphone jack.
THINK ABOUT THE SHAREHOLDERS!!! 15 cents per device!!!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Pie update is rolling out on the Razer Phone 2. Also updates the camera to allow 4K 60fps video.

Also has a price drop to $499

Last edited: