• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's about time Google start to support its phones for 3 years... 2 years is pathetic when Apple supports their iPhones/iPads for 5+ years (maybe even more?).

We always hear that Google is working to make it easier for other brands to update quicker, and the reality is here: same day Note users get the update to Pie, Pixel users get update to Q (beta, but still). A phone that launched in August, P launched in October, update coming in March. And it is a flagship! Joke.
congrats on the Dark theme beta!

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Q installed on my Pixel 1. Everything seems to work fine, multitasking/closing/changing apps seems faster than before. Once I had a feeling that the font from notifications changed a little (seemed a bit more spaced). No real deep changes yet, but everything works great so I am happy with it.

congrats on the Dark theme beta!
No dark theme yet.

Winterblink

Oct 26, 2017
Google Photos on Q seems to pay attention to dark mode, but the UI breaks a bunch.

Definitely seeing app closes a lot, live wallpaper dies frequently enough that I switched to a static wallpaper for now. Definitely an early beta, but overall more stable that I was expecting for the first one.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I've always used Nova launcher in every single one of my phones. This time however I have not installed it at all with my OnePlus 6T. I don't have any complaints about the stock launcher so far.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
Got around to do the update to One UI on the Note 9. I switched to Samsung keyboard with the new floating popup option. I always hated how in split screen using the keyboard caused havoc. Now it's no problem.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Do you guys use NFC payments? My bank had it's own app for that and it was an ok to bad experience: had to hold the phone 1-3 seconds near the terminal, if you were to move away it would kind of crash and you would need to restart the operation again. It was unreliable and I always had my cars with me if needed.

Recently Revolut added support to Google Pay and I started using it instead. It seems like a complete new system: when I am approaching the terminal it usually gives me the confirmation, if move it away too quick it justs says "move closer", so you move and that is it, payment made. No errors, no delays, "it just works".

I wonder if all other NFC payment apps have this delay, because the Google Pay actually feel like magic. Also curious if Apple Pay is this fast.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Do you guys use NFC payments? My bank had it's own app for that and it was an ok to bad experience: had to hold the phone 1-3 seconds near the terminal, if you were to move away it would kind of crash and you would need to restart the operation again. It was unreliable and I always had my cars with me if needed.

Recently Revolut added support to Google Pay and I started using it instead. It seems like a complete new system: when I am approaching the terminal it usually gives me the confirmation, if move it away too quick it justs says "move closer", so you move and that is it, payment made. No errors, no delays, "it just works".

I wonder if all other NFC payment apps have this delay, because the Google Pay actually feel like magic. Also curious if Apple Pay is this fast.
I use it on my bankcard, because Apple Pay (nor Google Pay) are available in my country. But that's the only ones I'd use. Something like that just works better on the OS level, which is where the speed over an app comes in.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

I use my own Bank's NFC payments app and it's good enough, it rarely fails. The problem in my case is that Google Pay came too late to my country so by the time it launched, most banks already had their NFC pay apps up and running and I doubt they want to migrate to Google Pay now.

Oct 25, 2017

yep. I've used Samsung apple and Google pay.

Stuff has always been relatively painless. Don't think bank apps in the US have had their own NFC pay systems though, so never experienced that.

We also... still are limited in terms of where nfc is accepted though. Pretty much zero sit down restaurants accept nfc payment. many places are pretty cheap on upgrading their old payment systems that accept nfc. the last place I've used nfc was at the Cafe at work, mcdonalds, and panera bread.

When I visited Australia, it was dope that literally every place I went to accepted nfc. brought some Aud and didn't even have to use it anywhere.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Google Pay and Apple Pay work flawlessly for me. Samsung Pay is more finicky, sometimes it'd ask for a weird code generated on the app itself, I eventually just gave up using it.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just upgraded to a phone with NFC, because I don't really carry money on me and I tend to forget my bank card when I go out, so Google pay has been great so far. I've used it alot.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
My Note8 got the Pie update a couple of days ago and now it's kinda laggy and the battery life sucks. On Oreo it lasted almost a full day [I don't use my phone a lot when I'm at work] and now I have to charge it at least twice before my shift is over. The battery percentage just keeps dropping.
Guys with Note8 + Pie, have you had similar experiences after the update?

Edit: it also gets just slightly warm during normal use (Twitter, some browsing). It didn't do that before the update.

Last edited:

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,
What's the current state of Android phones for the US market? The phone I have now seems to be on its last legs battery-wise, and seeing as it's nearing four years old, I figure it's time for me to move on.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,
What's the current state of Android phones for the US market? The phone I have now seems to be on its last legs battery-wise, and seeing as it's nearing four years old, I figure it's time for me to move on.
It depends on how much you want to be spending. I think the S10 family of devices (S10E, S10, S10+) are the best high-end Android phones of the year, until we see the Note 10. Also, there's OnePlus, but they likely won't unveil a new device until the end of Summer.
There are rumors Google will announce the mid-range Pixel phones in May/June but it's all up in the air how much they'll cost, how good they will be for the price, etc.

I'm not really sure what's on the horizon for mid-range/lower end options. The Moto G7 is probably going to be the only solid option at the $300 price range, or you could pick up an older Moto X4 for around $150-$200.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how much you want to be spending. I think the S10 family of devices (S10E, S10, S10+) are the best high-end Android phones of the year, until we see the Note 10. Also, there's OnePlus, but they likely won't unveil a new device until the end of Summer.
There are rumors Google will announce the mid-range Pixel phones in May/June but it's all up in the air how much they'll cost, how good they will be for the price, etc.

I'm not really sure what's on the horizon for mid-range/lower end options. The Moto G7 is probably going to be the only solid option at the $300 price range, or you could pick up an older Moto X4 for around $150-$200.
Well, I can certainly afford to splurge a bit if it makes for a better phone, though I don't do a ton of graphics-intensive gaming or video watching on the go. Definitely would like to try to get something relatively soon rather than try to last several more months on my current phone. Are Google's current Pixel offerings not a safe bet, since you didn't mention them?

And to be honest, while it's not a deal-breaker, I'm still wary of notches, especially on Android where it feels like there's no guarantee how apps might handle them (especially in landscape). The forces of the market seem to be against me in this regard, unfortunately.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and yet
Well, I can certainly afford to splurge a bit if it makes for a better phone, though I don't do a ton of graphics-intensive gaming or video watching on the go. Definitely would like to try to get something relatively soon rather than try to last several more months on my current phone. Are Google's current Pixel offerings not a safe bet, since you didn't mention them?

And to be honest, while it's not a deal-breaker, I'm still wary of notches, especially on Android where it feels like there's no guarantee how apps might handle them (especially in landscape). The forces of the market seem to be against me in this regard, unfortunately.
do you want to be a beta tester on a 4GB RAM phone? get a Pixel 3.

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah.... totally just bought the $200 airpod 2. I liked the first gen ones, but was a pain to have to carry around lightning cables to charge. I would get some Samsung ones if they actually are sold anywhere.

Hi all,

get a note 9. I see ones with US warranties for $700ish on amazon. headphone jack, big battery, big no notch screen, wireless charging etc. crazy splitscreen stuff so you can fgo and be on discord or something.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, I'm sure many people have fine experiences with their Pixel phones I just didn't mention it because there's been a consistent mess of software issues with them. It started with the Pixel 2 having performance issues, software bugs, etc and the Pixel 3 is having those same issues and Google doesn't seem to care enough to fix anything. It makes it hard to recommend their phones.

If you want the best that money can buy phone right now grab either the S10E/S10/S10+ depending on your preferences (IE Do you want the larger screen of the S10+ or the smaller display on the S10E). If you want the best bang for your buck phone get the OnePlus 6T. If I was buying a phone today it'd be a tough choice between S10E and the OP6T.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm sure many people have fine experiences with their Pixel phones I just didn't mention it because there's been a consistent mess of software issues with them. It started with the Pixel 2 having performance issues, software bugs, etc and the Pixel 3 is having those same issues and Google doesn't seem to care enough to fix anything. It makes it hard to recommend their phones.

If you want the best that money can buy phone right now grab either the S10E/S10/S10+ depending on your preferences (IE Do you want the larger screen of the S10+ or the smaller display on the S10E). If you want the best bang for your buck phone get the OnePlus 6T. If I was buying a phone today it'd be a tough choice between S10E and the OP6T.
Hmm, that's unfortunate to hear about the Pixel. Why does Google seem to have such a difficult time managing quality control with their own flagship devices? In general it just feels like every flagship phone these days has some kind of downside.

I'll have to do a bit of research on the S10 family.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after million years my verizon note 9 got the Pie update but honestly, i don't want it. Simple multi-tasking is big with me and fell in love with list view and from what i hear, they fucking removed it for the stupid horizontal cards. Shouldn't be an issue to keep ignoring it right? I don't see anything in Pie worth updating.

Oct 25, 2017
So after million years my verizon note 9 got the Pie update but honestly, i don't want it. Simple multi-tasking is big with me and fell in love with list view and from what i hear, they fucking removed it for the stupid horizontal cards. Shouldn't be an issue to keep ignoring it right? I don't see anything in Pie worth updating.

blame pie.

Also you should dl Good lock from the galaxy store. Basically Samsung's R&D team making additional customization widgets.

You can sorta bring back list view, or a decent alternative with the 'task changer' module.

Screenshot_20190307-093325_Task_Changer.jpg

Multistar brings back all the split window functionality.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
blame pie.

Also you should dl Good lock from the galaxy store. Basically Samsung's R&D team making additional customization widgets.

You can sorta bring back list view, or a decent alternative with the 'task changer' module.

Screenshot_20190307-093325_Task_Changer.jpg

Multistar brings back all the split window functionality.

Whoa, played with it and seems like something i can get use to but doesnt seem to work with secure folder apps? none of them seem to be popping up.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Wife's iphone SE has been having issues and not a lot of space. Been trying to get her on the android side as there's many better options for hundreds less than an iphone. She knows nothing about phones or specs, but showed her the oneplus 6/6t, and the razer 2. Going to best buy later today to check out the razer since it's a great deal at 300 off currently. My only issue w/ the phone is the power button finger scanner. Seems like there would be scanning issues since it's a smaller button. Has anyone used phones with side button scanners? Does it have a lower success rater vs back/front buttons?

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 70% bought in on the S10, but I'm still just a bit wary of all the proprietary stuff they preload on the phone. How much of it can I disable/ignore and just use normal Google apps instead of the Samsung ecosystem?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 70% bought in on the S10, but I'm still just a bit wary of all the proprietary stuff they preload on the phone. How much of it can I disable/ignore and just use normal Google apps instead of the Samsung ecosystem?
many of those Samsung apps predate the Google Apps. you can disable quite a bit or you could just get a Pixel 3 beta?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung has been making their Browser, Email, Messaging, etc for 10 years now and the google apps like Chrome and Messages were actually made well after the Samsung apps and they aren't the same and even gmail, which did exist for a while only supported Google emails for many years so many people used the Samsung email app, and Samsung email still handles multiple accounts better. many people for many years now have used and still use use the Samsung apps, and Samsung as the OEM has metrics on that so they keep making and including them.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung has been making their Browser, Email, Messaging, etc for 10 years now and the google apps like Chrome and Messages were actually made well after the Samsung apps and they aren't the same and even gmail, which did exist for a while only supported Google emails for many years so many people used the Samsung email app, and Samsung email still handles multiple accounts better. many people for many years now have used and still use use the Samsung apps, and Samsung as the OEM has metrics on that so they keep making and including them.
Still a bit hard to understand your point, but the gist I'm getting is that Samsung's apps are perfectly functional and don't really get in the way of anything. I'll admit the last time I really used their phones in any real capacity was almost five years ago, so I'm sure a lot changed since then.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Wife's iphone SE has been having issues and not a lot of space. Been trying to get her on the android side as there's many better options for hundreds less than an iphone. She knows nothing about phones or specs, but showed her the oneplus 6/6t, and the razer 2. Going to best buy later today to check out the razer since it's a great deal at 300 off currently. My only issue w/ the phone is the power button finger scanner. Seems like there would be scanning issues since it's a smaller button. Has anyone used phones with side button scanners? Does it have a lower success rater vs back/front buttons?
I went from an SE to the S10e and I couldn't be happier. As for the fingerprint scanner, it's crazy how much faster it is than my SE. It's almost instantaneous, sometimes I feel like it's just letting me unlock it, but then I test another finger and it doesn't unlock so it's definitely working.