• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I went from an SE to the S10e and I couldn't be happier. As for the fingerprint scanner, it's crazy how much faster it is than my SE. It's almost instantaneous, sometimes I feel like it's just letting me unlock it, but then I test another finger and it doesn't unlock so it's definitely working.

Oh I didn't know the 10e had it on the side.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I didn't know the 10e had it on the side.
Yup!
EzOy6RHl.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 70% bought in on the S10, but I'm still just a bit wary of all the proprietary stuff they preload on the phone. How much of it can I disable/ignore and just use normal Google apps instead of the Samsung ecosystem?

its easy enough. Easier than living in a google bubble on ios at the very least. You can always set the default apps for calendar/browser/etc. Google assistant is integrated fully, don't have to touch bixby ever.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Hmm, that's unfortunate to hear about the Pixel. Why does Google seem to have such a difficult time managing quality control with their own flagship devices? In general it just feels like every flagship phone these days has some kind of downside.

I'll have to do a bit of research on the S10 family.

There are plenty of happy problem free pixel owners like myself. Google Pixel hating is excessive bc lately tech nerds find hating on Google the cool thing to do these days.

Faceless for example is heavily biased towards Samsung products but then again I'm the opposite of him and am biased towards Google products. For me I have strong reasons why I wouldn't get a Samsung over a Pixel.

Anyway you look at it you have to decide for yourself by looking at what the major differences are between the phones. If you ask in some Android forum you are going to get someone who might think the new fingerprint scanner on the S10 is a bad thing while another might think Google's speedy updates are a bad thing. Same thing with Samsung vs Google apps.

Not saying you shouldn't ask but sometimes you have to take some of this feedback pretty lightly. Like I said figure out what you want and decide for yourself because they are all great phones.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Still a bit hard to understand your point, but the gist I'm getting is that Samsung's apps are perfectly functional and don't really get in the way of anything. I'll admit the last time I really used their phones in any real capacity was almost five years ago, so I'm sure a lot changed since then.

If you're bothered by that kind of thing I would skip Samsung phones. There are duplicate apps for everything and they do get in the way, you'll have multiple notifications for stuff (even weather) and a lot of things like that.

You could waste a bunch of time disabling things and tweaking but then again you could also just buy a phone that's designed to offer a seamless experience out of the box.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Asking again cause it's driving me nuts how little the battery lasts on Pie.
Anyone having this issue on their Note8 with Android 9?

My Note8 got the Pie update a couple of days ago and now it's kinda laggy and the battery life sucks. On Oreo it lasted almost a full day [I don't use my phone a lot when I'm at work] and now I have to charge it at least twice before my shift is over. The battery percentage just keeps dropping.
Guys with Note8 + Pie, have you had similar experiences after the update?

Edit: it also gets just slightly warm during normal use (Twitter, some browsing). It didn't do that before the update.

Deleted member 10611

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Random question about my Pixel 3 and the lock screen. Starting about a week ago, the lock pattern (or any lock method) has been popping up automatically when I wake the screen - instead of when I swipe up - covering up my notifications. Obviously I can just dismiss the pattern and carry on as usual, but it's kind of annoying having my notifications covered up the moment I wake my screen to check them. Am I dumb or is this a bug.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to buy one and see if I can get used to using a larger phone coming from my iPhone 7. I think the screen issues were overblown at launch, but the two year warranty is a nice thing to have.
For hardware issues, or for something else?
If you want a Pixel device don't let us talk you out of it. I have no doubt there are plenty of people using them without issue. The biggest thing is the occasional software hiccup and I am sure at *some* point Google will have it all worked out. It is worth noting (In regards to what Jeff said) that the Pixel 2 XL had a huge controversy with the screen quality when it came out and that led to Google giving all Pixel 2 units a two-year warranty instead of the standard one year as a means to control the bad press. Honestly, given the Pixel 2 XL sale at Best Buy I would grab one if you think you can handle the larger phone size. I don't think there's enough difference between the Pixel 2/Pixel 3 to justify the $200-$300 more you'll end up paying and if you plan to keep the phone long-term the two year warranty might come in handy.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The Black Shark 2 gaming phone was unveiled earlier this week. Looks to be a decent upgrade from the original model (which is available in Europe).

Last edited:

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem I ran into whenever I considered buying a new Android phone for the past few years -- every time I go to look it seems like every phone has some major negative point and I can never decide what would be the least problematic thing to have to work around.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
This is the problem I ran into whenever I considered buying a new Android phone for the past few years -- every time I go to look it seems like every phone has some major negative point and I can never decide what would be the least problematic thing to have to work around.

Than just stop asking tech nerds online and pick the device you want. The general public doesn't notice most of the shit we do.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Than just stop asking tech nerds online and pick the device you want. The general public doesn't notice most of the shit we do.
I guess that's the best option... if I survived this long into the current smartphone era with a clunky, outdated 3GB RAM mess, given that I'm not a real mobile multitasker I can probably survive on a 4GB phone...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of an electronic where that isn't the case.

Just for phones I have a hard time choosing between Android or iPhone, iPhone and iPhone (XS Max vs XS vs XR vs 8), Android and Android (S10 vs S10e vs One Plus 6t vs whatever else).

I was looking into affordable laptops and even there I was finding a ton of options with lots of pros and cons. I like Windows laptops, but for cheap prices they don't have enough power to do everything that's good with them (gaming, stuff like Photoshop, etc). Then there's Chrimebooks which I hadn't considered previously, but could get a great quality one for $500 that does 99% of what I'd use a laptop for, but would I miss that 1% of Windows stuff?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm planning to buy a new android phone asap, my honor 8 is officially dead, and I wanted to buy one with a snapdragon 855 because I like to use my phones for emulation purposes, what should I buy with a budget of 500€?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm planning to buy a new android phone asap, my honor 8 is officially dead, and I wanted to buy one with a snapdragon 855 because I like to use my phones for emulation purposes, what should I buy with a budget of 500€?
Nothing, because you can't get anything at that price with the 855 yet.

Pretty much a Galaxy S10e is the closest.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
If you ask in some Android forum you are going to get someone who might think the new fingerprint scanner on the S10 is a bad thing while another might think Google's speedy updates are a bad thing.

Apples vs Oranges, Hardware vs Software. Nice awful comparison there.

Had you said One UI vs updates, that would be more accurate :(

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The Xiaomi Mi 9 is currently the only Snapdragon 855 phone at that price point.

There should be some more options come May-June.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, 3 years ago I got my first experience with the Apple ecosystem by buying a 13" MacBook Pro (2015). During that time all I dreamt of was getting an iPhone, but you know how expensive those can be and I was pretty happy with my Huawei during the time. But this year I was given the opportunity to buy an old iPhone (iPhone 6) for only 30€. I was like "Why the hell not, might as well try and go full Apple ecosystem now".
It's been a few nice months, I love the synchronization and all that but lately I've been thinking on completely switching again to the Android side, but this time to Xiaomi.

This thought started when I was going to purchase the AirPods and saw the price... goddamn, 180€ for a pair of bluetooth earphones? Like, REALLY? I'm not an audiophile by any means and I still use some cheap 10€ Sony earphones that I bought 3 years ago. I was just looking for a pair of wireless earphones, cheap, nothing to expensive. My brother bought the AirDots from Xiaomi and from there I started exploring their array of products... and holy shit. They have lots and lots of things, and it seems people LOVE them.

I'm kind of conflicted now if I should sell my Macbook + iPhone and buy a Xiaomi PC + a phone (the mi mix 3 is my favorite phone ever, esthetically speaking) + some wireless earphones from them (thank you Apple reselling value).

Anyone here with a Mi Mix 3, or Airdots, or even a Xiaomi laptop that could give some feedback? Or just any kind of Xiaomi products.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda suprised there aren't more solid controller options that are Joycon style for cell phones. :/

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
These all screen and notchless phones look good. But I'm not feeling the motorized pop up selfie camera.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what does that mean?

Link?

Isn't it kind of obvious? There isn't anything Pie is doing that should make it run that badly on anything high end from the last few years. Samsung just botched the initial release with software hangups in One UI. Supposedly on Reddit some people have already gotten at least a 2nd build that improves things. Expect more fixes to come over the next few months.

They'll finally have Pie ironed out around the time Google makes Q go official. LOLOLOL

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Isn't it kind of obvious? There isn't anything Pie is doing that should make it run that badly on anything high end from the last few years. Samsung just botched the initial release with software hangups in One UI. Supposedly on Reddit some people have already gotten at least a 2nd build that improves things. Expect more fixes to come over the next few months.

They'll finally have Pie ironed out around the time Google makes Q go official. LOLOLOL

As someone thats owned the Pixel 2 and 3. Pie runs worse than Oreo and I would even say Q beta 1 runs smoother than Pie in some ways.

However, this just further prove that everyone saying Pixel users are just android beta testers are just full of shit.

Samsung Android releases arent just automatically stable just because they are so late.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how late you are, if the underlying base is slow, can't really fix that by adding stuff on top of it like Samsung does.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
No matter how late you are, if the underlying base is slow, can't really fix that by adding stuff on top of it like Samsung does.
Just keep adding RAM, it'll be fine.

To be fair to Samsung, my brother was complaining he couldn't justify the S10 to his boss, because for the first time ever, his old Samsung S8 isn't slowing down after two years.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to get a galaxy s10e. Had my fun going back to iOS for a few years with the iPhone X but I'm ready to go back to the ol droids. Anyone not happy with their s10e?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Just keep adding RAM, it'll be fine.

To be fair to Samsung, my brother was complaining he couldn't justify the S10 to his boss, because for the first time ever, his old Samsung S8 isn't slowing down after two years.
I'm on the same boat. My S8+ works just fine, no slowdown at all.