• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it kind of obvious? There isn't anything Pie is doing that should make it run that badly on anything high end from the last few years. Samsung just botched the initial release with software hangups in One UI. Supposedly on Reddit some people have already gotten at least a 2nd build that improves things. Expect more fixes to come over the next few months.

They'll finally have Pie ironed out around the time Google makes Q go official. LOLOLOL
Link to the Reddit posts/thread? I searched and couldn't find anything.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of any good browser apps that are good for making a wrapper for web pages? I used Samsung's browser on Oreo for ResetEra bookmarking to my homepage, and it kept the site in its own individual instance so I could open the browser and do things, and then open ResetEra without it being its own tab and without the url bar and all of that extra stuff. For some reason, this is no longer possible on Pie or with the latest version of Samsung's browser (haven't bothered to experiment), and even before then, I've found the compatibility to be spotty on different sites. Likewise with doing it with Chrome and Firefox.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it looks like Google Pixel 1st generation will get Android Q. My Google Pixel XL is working just fine for my needs. I will upgrade in 2020 no matter what.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep this fall the Pixel 1, 2, 3 and 4 will all be on Android Q. Creeping into Apple support territory. Pretty dope.
I'm dreading losing that headphone jack. I have been looking at Bluetooth headphones and they are all earbuds or over the ear headphones. I don't like earbuds since I don't like sticking things into my ears and over the ear headphones are not good for when I work out and sweat. I want something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-...ic+headphones&qid=1553791325&s=gateway&sr=8-4 for working out or casual use at work, only with Bluetooth.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I'm dreading losing that headphone jack. I have been looking at Bluetooth headphones and they are all earbuds or over the ear headphones. I don't like earbuds since I don't like sticking things into my ears and over the ear headphones are not good for when I work out and sweat. I want something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-...ic+headphones&qid=1553791325&s=gateway&sr=8-4 for working out or casual use at work, only with Bluetooth.
Just keep the dongle on the headphones you already have

Alternatively, these are the only similar ones I could find, it does seem an underrepresented style in BT

https://www.amazon.com/SoundBot¨-SB...-Secure-Fit/dp/B01AKSJUH0?tag=headphcompar-20

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any easy way to record a call on Pie? Right now the only way I can tell is to record the speaker thanks to Google removing the ability to record calls on Pie 😔

I need to save some important voicemail messages that I have and my carrier doesn't support visual voicemail(on the phone or PC), so I need to dial in to my voicemail number to access my messages.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
S8+ pie update for me.

Trying to figure out what I like and don't after I updated this morning. Gesture controls are weird for me, but I think I just need to adjust.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
S8+ Pie installed. God damn, this UI is trash

Notifications take twice the space they used to
I can't just open the top panel from the lock screen to see notifications like before
Font size is bigger and wastes space
clock on the top left is ugh

Everything is "pretty", but makes it a chore to navigate. Were they trying to copy the iPhone UI with this?

Last edited:

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can't just open the top panel from the lock screen to see notifications like before

Everything is "pretty", but makes it a chore to navigate. Were they trying to copy the iPhone UI with this?

Its actually easier for one handed use. The point is you can't easily get to the top half of the screen as it stands with one hand. Hence why they shifted the whole UI around.

That being said its def not as smooth as it should be. Feels very 1.0.

Dark mode rules obviously.

Oct 25, 2017
Its actually easier for one handed use. The point is you can't easily get to the top half of the screen as it stands with one hand. Hence why they shifted the whole UI around.

That being said its def not as smooth as it should be. Feels very 1.0.

Dark mode rules obviously.

wonder if its due to the older software?

i have my issues with oneui, mostly design wise, but its definitely smoother on my note 9 than samsung experience 9.5/oreo. They finally fixed some of the legacy stutter areas thats been going on for years.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you can move the clock with Good Lock

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Ordered a refurbed note9 for under 500. Don't want to go for a S10 yet and saw the note used in person. Seemed the right phone for me.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
So Anandtech says the Exynos S10 has worse camera image processing than its Snapdragon counterpart.

You know, I don't think it's a coincidence that the quality of the Exynos SoC has taken a hit since Apple moved from Samsung to exclusively using TSMC to manufacture their SoCs.

There was a time where the Exynos version of a Samsung phone was clearly superior to its Qualcomm counterpart.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

It really is a fucking train wreck.

Huge gaps everywhere, a massive reduction of information on screen. Everything looks like it was made by Playmobil. Why is the text so large everywhere? The poor gallery app has been ruined, from being the best one on Android. No more pictures, just huge gaps for the date in a font four times larger than it needs to be.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is a fucking train wreck.

Huge gaps everywhere, a massive reduction of information on screen. Everything looks like it was made by Playmobil. Why is the text so large everywhere? The poor gallery app has been ruined, from being the best one on Android. No more pictures, just huge gaps for the date in a font four times larger than it needs to be.

Preface - You can disagree with the fundamental design idea.

The idea is the screen gets filled with info as you scroll, but on larger screens you can't functionally access the top half of the screen without two hands. It's the same logic people have as moving the URL bar in browsers to the bottom.

The average person with one hand on these new big 18:9 phones can't reach with their thumb beyond about half way up the screen unless you slide the phone down in your hand.

I'm not sold yet if I like their approach or not, but it's not a disaster if you actually understand software UI design language.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Preface - You can disagree with the fundamental design idea.

The idea is the screen gets filled with info as you scroll, but on larger screens you can't functionally access the top half of the screen without two hands. It's the same logic people have as moving the URL bar in browsers to the bottom.

The average person with one hand on these new big 18:9 phones can't reach with their thumb beyond about half way up the screen unless you slide the phone down in your hand.

I'm not sold yet if I like their approach or not, but it's not a disaster if you actually understand software UI design language.

I'm aware of the point, but there many, many parts of the OS that have been ruined that are nothing to do with one handed operation. The Gallery folder view turning from a list to chunky, childish thumbnails doesn't make the content at the top of the screen easier to reach, it's just uglier. The enormous text for the date in every row of the gallery app main page, likewise. Split screen is literally harder to get into using one hand than it used to be. The drop down divs for selecting wifi and bluetooth aren't even aligned correctly vertically on the quicksettings menu. The main settings menu has significantly more padding in all areas.

I do despise the large gaps when first opening certain apps, but that is far from the only problem kiddifying the entire OS with huge horrible text.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
dont get why samsung spend all this effort bringing shit to the bottom for 'one handed use', yet move the freaking power button higher every year.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder when those midrange Pixels will be coming out, or if those are even coming to the US.

I usually never consider Google phones, but if they're affordable and can get at least 128gb of storage (since they never include SD card slots), I might finally consider them.
dont get why samsung spend all this effort bringing shit to the bottom for 'one handed use', yet move the freaking power button higher every year.
Yeah, that was definitely something I noticed, even on the non-plus S10 when I was trying it out. Most of the time I just ended up doing the double tap the screen or raise to wake instead of hitting the button.

Hopefully with enough people mentioning it in reviews will lead to them moving it down in the next Note or at least the S11's.
It worked when Samsung put the rear fingerprint reader in that stupid place in the S8, then they put it in a better spot with the S9 when everyone complained about it.

I hope they get the in-screen fingerprint sensor working better with their next phones. Even after updating the phone it just wasn't a consistent experience. One of my thumbs worked better than the other, I had to hold it for longer than I'd like, half the time I'd miss the exact spot so it didn't register, etc.
I know it's less secure, but the S10's face unlock was super fast and I preferred that over the ultrasonic fingerprint reader.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The new Bubbles multitasking in Android Q beta looks pretty good! A formalization/extension of what the phone app does now I guess.

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/04/android-q-beta-2-update.html

8wpMNq7.png

Bubbles help users prioritize information and take action deep within another app, while maintaining their current context. They also let users carry an app's functionality around with them as they move between activities on their device.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Got the Beta 2, some differences in multitasking are the first thing I notice. I guess Whatsapp doesn't have bubbles yet.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Man, that refurbished Note9 I got has to go back.
Hardware buttons not working sometimes and battery drains like CRAZY. I knew that price was a bit too good...

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
so any phone (the newer ones at least) will be compatible with stock android? Great way of ruining the Android One project LOL That's very Google, but actually great.

It wont kill android one. Most people have no idea how to flash an os that are buying a new cheap phone. Google will probably kill it for other reasons though.