• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
so any phone (the newer ones at least) will be compatible with stock android? Great way of ruining the Android One project LOL That's very Google, but actually great.
It wont kill android one. Most people have no idea how to flash an os that are buying a new cheap phone. Google will probably kill it for other reasons though.
They did a similar thing with the Pie beta last year. You could flash the stock image on a Mi Mix 2S and Vivo X21 (e.g.).

The final release was never made available to those devices. It was just for beta testing purposes.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
so is group messaging just useless on Android if the people you are texting are on iPhone?

Honestly I kind of DON'T CARE because group texting is annoying, but I just compared a group text with my wife and our two friends and like half the convo was never sent to my phone. All three of them have iPhones and I have a Pixel XL 2. I use the Google Messages app.

is it possible Apple does something with iMessage where it is causing this? Like on purpose to encourage people to switch?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
so is group messaging just useless on Android if the people you are texting are on iPhone?

Honestly I kind of DON'T CARE because group texting is annoying, but I just compared a group text with my wife and our two friends and like half the convo was never sent to my phone. All three of them have iPhones and I have a Pixel XL 2. I use the Google Messages app.

is it possible Apple does something with iMessage where it is causing this? Like on purpose to encourage people to switch?
IMG_1319.png

They need to enable "Send as SMS" in the Messages settings.

Just go to Settings -> Messages.

And yes, it is intended that group messages on iPhones are iMessage only, until that setting is manually turned on.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IMG_1319.png

They need to enable "Send as SMS" in the Messages settings.

Just go to Settings -> Messages.

And yes, it is intended that group messages on iPhones are iMessage only, until that setting is manually turned on.

That's not what that setting does. The "Send as SMS" toggle on iOS enables sending what would be iMessage messages as SMS when there's no data connection (or the iMessage servers are down). Messages sent to non-iOS/iMessage devices are always sent as SMS/MMS messages, regardless of the toggle.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what that setting does. The "Send as SMS" toggle on iOS enables sending what would be iMessage messages as SMS when there's no data connection (or the iMessage servers are down). Messages sent to non-iOS/iMessage devices are always sent as SMS/MMS messages, regardless of the toggle.
I believe you. But that's what fixes it. Already had to do it twice.

And no, Androids get fucked by iMessage unless that thing is enabled because it does not send it as SMS. It happens.

/shrug

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they hijack messages that you should receive by the SMS protocol. it is known.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I think I'm going to throw my phone away. I can't seem to access Google Drive anymore, the phone doesn't sync. All others Google products are fine, just not Drive, which means I can't upload files, and it works just fine on a computer. I tried everything from account removing to cache wiping in recovery... Fuck it is annoying when it doesn't work.
EDIT : finally flashed another rom. Works. Joys of Android !

Last edited:

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Going off of Reddit it looks like Google accidentally had the name "Pixel 3A" on the Google Store before taking it down. It might point towards an imminent announcement/launch since IIRC rumors suggested a May launch period.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to throw my phone away. I can't seem to access Google Drive anymore, the phone doesn't sync. All others Google products are fine, just not Drive, which means I can't upload files, and it works just fine on a computer. I tried everything from account removing to cache wiping in recovery... Fuck it is annoying when it doesn't work.
EDIT : finally flashed another rom. Works. Joys of Android !
Wait, what phone is that? o.o

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
My wife had her phone destroyed, but the USB/charging port still works. The screen is totally shattered, and does not work. We have lots of baby photos on it.

Can we access the internal memory anyway?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having issues with the Prime Video app? I keep getting connection issues with the latest versions, but if I roll back to an older version (Shield TV) things work fine.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, it would be a lot easier to help if you posted more details, like what kind of phone your wife has and what kind of steps you have tried.
Oneplus 5t. Port is good, screen and power button don't work. We have windows based computers and an iPad.

Currently charging it under observation so it doesn't die. After an hour or so it can standby for a day.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung totally ruined their browser, the latest version of it is total shit. The video assistant was the best feature of any mobile browser and they got rid of it 😡

My wife had her phone destroyed, but the USB/charging port still works. The screen is totally shattered, and does not work. We have lots of baby photos on it.

Can we access the internal memory anyway?

Honestly, the simplest solution might be to replace the screen. It's not trivial to retrieve data that hasn't been backed up(even if your wife had USB debugging enabled).

Good reason to start using Google Photos from now on(which will automatically backup your pics and videos to the cloud).

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung totally ruined their browser, the latest version of it is total shit. The video assistant was the best feature of any mobile browser and they got rid of it 😡

Honestly, the simplest solution might be to replace the screen. It's not trivial to retrieve data that hasn't been backed up(even if your wife had USB debugging enabled).

Good reason to start using Google Photos from now on(which will automatically backup your pics and videos to the cloud).

The body is crushed, so that's probably not going to happen. It would be nice if could cloud sync through website.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Android Q Beta 2, anyone else having problems with photos not showing up on Google Photos? I take them with the default camera app, I can preview them normally from there (and share etc), if I go in the Files app I can also see the photos in the folder, but they just dont appear on the Google Photos app (they just dont show there). I tried taking photos with another app and the problem still persist. I also cleared cache/cookies of Google Photos and Camera.

On top of that: after Google killed Inbox I am now forced to use Gmail but Inbox used to silence the Gmail app so I wouldn't get double notifications. For some reason I cant see Gmail notifications yet (they are enabled inside the app and in the settings)... I already uninstalled Inbox but I still cant get any notifications :(

Deleted member 20295

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Anyone elses S8 running like crap after the most recent firmware update?, It feels like the memory management has been buggered up - even switching between just 2 apps has a reload now on mine (plus the Samsung browser feels horrible and sluggish now).

After the main Pie update it seemed fine, but the most recent one made my phone so much worse to use - but I feel it could be the recent browser update causing it and it mainly happens when switching with that.

Last edited:

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Oneplus 5t. Port is good, screen and power button don't work. We have windows based computers and an iPad.

Currently charging it under observation so it doesn't die. After an hour or so it can standby for a day.
If you're just looking to retrieve photos, they should back up to Google Photos by default. Have you checked her Google account?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Anyone elses S8 running like crap after the most recent firmware update?, It feels like the memory management has been buggered up - even switching between just 2 apps has a reload now on mine (plus the Samsung browser feels horrible and sluggish now).

After the main Pie update it seemed fine, but the most recent one made my phone so much worse to use - but I feel it could be the recent browser update causing it and it mainly happens when switching with that.
Have you tried clearing the cache in recovery after the update?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wish I received an update to know if there were any issues. Still stuck on December security patch and build. I thought buying an unlocked phone would mean better software support. Always got quick updates on my xperias. Selling my S8 but maybe try a factory reset or clearing your system cache.

ajpw

Oct 27, 2017

make sure you have the permissions enabled for photos and camera app

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey, so I'm on Android Pie now. Can anyone tell me how to toggle the notification sound per app? For example, I want gmail notifications to be displayed but not play the alert sound, while I still want other apps to use alert sounds. Can I do that?

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I'm on Android Pie now. Can anyone tell me how to toggle the notification sound per app? For example, I want gmail notifications to be displayed but not play the alert sound, while I still want other apps to use alert sounds. Can I do that?
I've found app sounds are usually handled in the app settings

If you want to find global app notification settings it's in Settings > Apps & notifications > [app] > Notifications

if you then click "Advanced" it should say "Additional settings in the app" and take you to what you're looking for most of the time

for Gmail if you go to Menu > Settings > [your email account] > Manage notifications > Advanced

You'll see some options for sounds there

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

If you want to find global app notification settings it's in Settings > Apps & notifications > [app] > Notifications

if you then click "Advanced" it should say "Additional settings in the app" and take you to what you're looking for most of the time

for Gmail if you go to Menu > Settings > [your email account] > Manage notifications > Advanced

Cheers, that works.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The OPPO Reno was shown off in Zurich (video is in Italian):

Phone has a pop-up camera wedge and supports 10x hybrid zoom, alongside the usual specs you'd expect from a flagship.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
gsmarena_002.jpg

https://m.gsmarena.com/antutu_tests...good_and_bad_news_respectively-news-36495.php

The SoC midrange is a fucking mess for some reason in 2019. 665 theoretically its got better battery efficiency but is worse in overall performance than its predecessor while being offered in phones higher priced. Meanwhile the 670/675 is for some reason a split between general performance and gaming performance. The only thing that makes sense is the 730 which acts a s the sucessor for the 710, but there are like onoy 5 710 phones out there and it hasn't had time to mature for OEMs like the 660.

dorikyasu

Oct 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI

Thank you for this. Forced to switch back to GMail app after Inbox app was discontinued and took me a while to notice that I wasn't getting notifications on new emails.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
gsmarena_002.jpg

https://m.gsmarena.com/antutu_tests...good_and_bad_news_respectively-news-36495.php

The SoC midrange is a fucking mess for some reason in 2019. 665 theoretically its got better battery efficiency but is worse in overall performance than its predecessor while being offered in phones higher priced. Meanwhile the 670/675 is for some reason a split between general performance and gaming performance. The only thing that makes sense is the 730 which acts a s the sucessor for the 710, but there are like onoy 5 710 phones out there and it hasn't had time to mature for OEMs like the 660.

This is what happens when qualcomm has a monopoly

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
gsmarena_002.jpg

Like to know where the Exynos used in the S10 series fits on that scale. Perhaps it's written in the article.
Edit: Nup.