• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blooddimond

Oct 25, 2017
So my original Pixel XL appears to have just died out of nowhere. Left it charging when i went to bed, woke up and it won't boot or reset :\
That being said, anyone have a preferred phone on Verizon to? I'd prefer a headphone jack but that seems to be a losing battle for most phones

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So my original Pixel XL appears to have just died out of nowhere. Left it charging when i went to bed, woke up and it won't boot or reset :\
That being said, anyone have a preferred phone on Verizon to? I'd prefer a headphone jack but that seems to be a losing battle for most phones
A Galaxy would solve that. You could go for a S9 for cheap.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Samsung didn't remove the selfie camera's for the folding display and make it all screen without the ugly notch. There is no reason they couldn't have put the "best" selfie shooter on the folded side (And it would have been easier to use versus taking a selfie with a tablet).
they really need to must have the normal "back" camera layout on the front and nothing on the inside on the next one. take selfies when closed and normal photos when open. cuts the amount of cameras they would have in half.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Google Pixel kicks LG out of 3rd place for top premium device sales in the US and it's still on only one carrier.

Google's coming for Samsung next when the Pixel launches on TMobile and Sprint.

Hopefully it starts doing more damage to Apple instead of Samsung but I'm not seeing it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone and their mother knows about the Galaxy line.

Remember the rumor about Samsung dropping the Galaxy name? LOL

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Google Pixel kicks LG out of 3rd place for top premium device sales in the US and it's still on only one carrier.

Google's coming for Samsung next when the Pixel launches on TMobile and Sprint.

Hopefully it starts doing more damage to Apple instead of Samsung but I'm not seeing it.

I need Pixel to release on Tmobile. When is that ever going to happen?

Oct 25, 2017
It is Christmas early!

dont get the 3 man. all i read are issues lol. 4gb ram is really way too little for a flagship android phone.

Are galaxy phones still easy to root? I've never really liked samsung's OS changes and would prefer stock (or close to stock) android if possible.
times have changed. everyone loves the current samsung theme (oneui), and stock pie is kinda trash, like it was one of the main reasons i stopped buying google phones and got a note 9 instead.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
dont get the 3 man. all i read are issues lol. 4gb ram is really way too little for a flagship android phone.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion on it and I will read about the phone some more. I just really like the idea of pure Android. I really want a small pure Android phone that is built well. I liked the idea of the Essential phone.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I respect your opinion on it and I will read about the phone some more. I just really like the idea of pure Android. I really want a small pure Android phone that is built well. I liked the idea of the Essential phone.

Even that's changing now that google is doing their own thing with their pixel rom. There was a time where pure android had legit benefits, as in being the smoothest option, and less nonsense, but most oem roms have trimmed the fat and only left the good stuff (that google will eventually roll into stock android years later), and modern processors + butt load of ram basically bridges the gap in terms of performance.

Currently with pie, i'm just not a fan of the god awful pill, and on pixel 3 phones you don't even get the option to change to 3 buttons, while every other company is experimenting with full screen gestures to varied levels of success.

I'd recommend you wait for the pixel 4 which is rumored to have 6+gb ram, which hopefully should fix the lag issues people are talking about, especially on the camera, which is its one main selling point. Unless you are fine with Jumping to the 4 in a few months.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Hows the portrait mode on pixel 3? I can still take a portrait mode using the superez x2? Which would make the pseudo focal length around 56mm? Anyone has some samples they could share?

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Intel Modems.

All Hail our Qualcomm overlords.

Apple must've paid a pretty penny for the deal with Qualcomm, Qualcomm had all the leverage in the lawsuit and Apple probably saw the writing on the wall(not to mention that Intel modems were lacklustre compared to Qualcomm's).

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

So the 7 Pro is tipped to have a 90hz screen, stereo speakers, and a QHD screen. Looks like $649+

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Damn.

I saw a post from someone on here who claimed to have inside information and that no one should be buying this. I thought he was bullshitting but maybe not.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Damn.

I saw a post from someone on here who claimed to have inside information and that no one should be buying this. I thought he was bullshitting but maybe not.

I saw that too. It would be incredible if he was right. That's some straight insanity to push through a $2000 phone that breaks after one day. Even those nicks appearing on the Verge's phone after a day is disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
man I love how there apparently is a SUPER IMPORTANT PIECE OF FILM ON THIS FOLDABLE SCREEN THAT YOU SHOULDN'T REMOVE that is easy enough to remove that 2 reviewers did it assuming it's a screen protector lol.

Like what.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Might get the P30 Pro next year... I'm tired of Samsung.

The kirin 980 any good? It has 8gb ram so Huawei's aggressive ram management shouldn't be an issue anymore

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say....issues aside I'm super-hyped for the foldable phone future. The more Galaxy Fold videos I watch and impressions I read the more I'm wishing I could afford one at launch. I think it is the most hype I've ever been for a phone. It feels like the biggest "wow" jump we've seen in mobile technology in a long time.

Also, I have to say between the Galaxy Fold and Mate X I really prefer the way Samsung did it. I think the Mate X visibly looks better (IE no goofy notch on the inside), but what I like about the Galaxy Fold is Samsung's whole idea with a smaller display on the front to do the essentials like taking a phone call, quickly looking something up, or answering a text and then having the tablet when you have more time to sit and browse. The Mate X still has a really large display on the front and it's more of an experience you'd have today with the option of a tablet alongside it.

Oct 25, 2017

seems like this warning is on the retail unit packaging but not the review units... someone in PR in trouble.

Still, there are 2 other issues not related to this film... so Samsung seem to be pretty unlucky with their retail units... usually you send the cream of the crop to reviewers lol.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Does not bode well for longevity, if the only thing warding off self-destruction is a 'special protective film.'

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
As a Gen 1 device with new bendy screen tech, I'm sure there'll be a bit higher failure rate with this vs. regular new phone.

Beyond that aspect, I definitely want to wait 2-3 more releases before jumping in one of these.

Should be durable enough by then, hopefully a bit cheaper, and they'll probably ditch that huge bezel and have s-pen functionality. Once it has that I'll basically finally have that folding Microsoft Tablet they canceled years ago that I aways wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
if I was samsung, it would be a good pr move right now to offer some guarantees for people buying this.

I mean it's $2000 for a brand new form factor, at least include applecare+ equivalent for 2 years, and have issues related to the screen be fixed for free.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Does waranty covers broken screen?

I was so looking forward getting the fold cause there's no other exciting alternative.

Don't want any huawei garbage EMUI and snapdragon > kirin.

I guess I'll be getting the Xperia 1.
4k OLED should be nice...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Might get the P30 Pro next year... I'm tired of Samsung.

The kirin 980 any good? It has 8gb ram so Huawei's aggressive ram management shouldn't be an issue anymore
Huawei can have 20gig ram on their phones and still be aggressive with ram management that is never gonna change. Otherwise, Huawei phones from personal experience do better than samsung in terms of having an in house chipset+a custom rom and balancing things out. The Kirin 980 is roughly the same powerhouse the 855 is, but the experience in terms of OS, no lag, animation smoothness, etc will feel far superior to any other android phone out there right now.

Edit: Pocophone is 250 and LG G7 is at 300 here. I am super tempted to go for the G7 but I don't trust LG with android updates. But good lord that performance with LG sound quality and cameras at that price, its a freaking steal.

Last edited:

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Can someone point me to a decent 6-foot / 1.8 meter USB-A-to-USB-C cable for my phone (that I can buy in the US)? I've tried three cables so far, and none of them support USB debug functionality. i.e. when I use them to plug my phone into my PC, adb won't recognize the device and I can't transfer data. If I swap to the 3-foot cable that came with the device, it is recognized just fine. I don't want to take the chance that these cables might destroy the battery in my phone, since that happened with my last phone (I don't know if it was the cable or not, but don't want to take the chance with my new phone).

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recall the last time I looked into it, the general consensus was "doesn't exist." However.... since then, are there any decent android tablets worth getting that doesn't have an iPad-level price. Just looking for something to browse with and read comics. Hoping to avoid spending $600+ CAD.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I recall the last time I looked into it, the general consensus was "doesn't exist." However.... since then, are there any decent android tablets worth getting that doesn't have an iPad-level price. Just looking for something to browse with and read comics. Hoping to avoid spending $600+ CAD.
Look into last year's Huawei Mediapad line, or the Xiaomi MiPad 4 line.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah mi pad 4 is great for the price.

But if you wanna read comics ipad aspect ratio still probably the best bet.

$250 for the 9.7" is such a steal.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Huawei can have 20gig ram on their phones and still be aggressive with ram management that is never gonna change. Otherwise, Huawei phones from personal experience do better than samsung in terms of having an in house chipset+a custom rom and balancing things out. The Kirin 980 is roughly the same powerhouse the 855 is, but the experience in terms of OS, no lag, animation smoothness, etc will feel far superior to any other android phone out there right now.

Just saw that it has no jack so it's a no go for me :(

Hopefully next years Exynos/S11 is performs/looks better than this year's model