• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I just found more situations where it doesn't work, or work as well as a fingerprint sensor.

Waking up in the morning and having my face be all smushed and squinty would make it not register.

I also like to keep my phone sitting on a desk or counter and just open it with my finger rather than having to awkwardly stand over it so it can see my face, or pick it up and point it at myself.

And when Face ID fails to register, it's harder to know why exactly compared to a fingerprint sensor. With a fingerprint you either have gunk or water in your finger, or you didn't put your finger on just right. Whatever the reason, all you have to do to fix it is try tapping again which is pretty much immediate.
With Face ID you can have too dramatic of an expression (yawning, smushed in the morning, etc) or you can have the phone at the wrong angle. These issues just take a little too long to try to fix, you have to move your head or phone around to get it to register just right, which takes longer than just quickly retalpjng a fingerprint sensor.

I also wish Apple gave an option for it to unlock and go straight to the home screen, instead of swiping every time.
I actually like the S10's face unlock because it does have that option and it makes it feel a lot faster (I know it's less secure than Face ID, but who is going to steal my phone AND make a printout of my face?). Only issue I have with the S10's is that it doesn't work as well when I have sunglasses on.

I am making Face ID sound worse than it is, though. It is really cool when it works and it makes putting in passwords super easy.
Most of these complaints are pretty nitpicky, but I just found that at least once a day I couldn't get the phone to unlock with Face ID and had to punch in a code. When I have a 4 digit code it's not bad, but if I have my phone synced with my work they require a 6 digit one which is more time consuming to type in.
I just wish Apple had the option for a fingerprint reader too. Hopefully when in-screen ones get good enough they'll start having that as an option too.
I've so far not really had an issue with face id so far. It needs some distance which I always get wrong waking up, but apart from that it's always been just point the phone my direction for it to work. There is apparently an issue in strong sunlight, but I haven't encountered that yet.

With the fingerprint sensor I found it impossible to open the phone after a shower, even when I dried my hands for the third time. It was also hard if my fingers got sweaty.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I consider getting a "Budget" phone, I usually need the phone to have at least 1 feature that still makes it worth it.

I went from an S7 to the Moto Z Play for about $400 and it was more than worth it to me because it had such a fantastic battery life, and I really like Motorola's gesture commands (shake to turn on flashlight, twist to get to camera). The camera was weaker and it didn't have waterproofing, but it's performance was totally fine.

These Pixel 3a's seem solid, and will probably have a great camera which will probably be enough for most people, but I'm loving my S10e, which has all the flagship features I want for not TOO much money (waterproof, great camera, Samsung Pay, SD Card Slot, 128gb built in storage, etc)
Since the Pixels still don't have expandable memory, I probably wouldnt consider getting the lower storage model, which means to upgrade I'll probably be paying $50-100 more than the base price, which will probably put these closer in price to the S10e anyways.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
It's looks good but curved screen. :(

gsmarena_002.jpg

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's looks good but curved screen. :(

gsmarena_002.jpg
Yeah not a fan, but I'll have to see how bad it is. Curve on something like Note 9 didn't bother me, but if it's really deep like earlier Samsung curved displays it will suck. Curious where they are getting this panel from. Didn't think Samsung made a 90hz display.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not a fan, but I'll have to see how bad it is. Curve on something like Note 9 didn't bother me, but if it's really deep like earlier Samsung curved displays it will suck. Curious where they are getting this panel from. Didn't think Samsung made a 90hz display.
Think ice universe says its samsung. Can't wait for this tech to trickle down to the note line. Pencil on the iPad Pro is a difference vs ones without promotion screen.

IMG_20190502_195959.png

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...lready-put-out-some-pixel-3a-xls/#ap-lightbox
Lol some Best Buy already stocked up the pixel 3a on shelves.

Think the 3a will be a solid buy once they drop in price. $200 off in a few months i bet, which would be a good buy.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Think ice universe says its samsung. Can't wait for this tech to trickle down to the note line. Pencil on the iPad Pro is a difference vs ones without promotion screen.

IMG_20190502_195959.png

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...lready-put-out-some-pixel-3a-xls/#ap-lightbox
Lol some Best Buy already stocked up the pixel 3a on shelves.

Think the 3a will be a solid buy once they drop in price. $200 off in a few months i bet, which would be a good buy.

Lol. That puts it at $200. That's not going to happen.

You aren't going to see Pixel 3 level discounts on the 3a unless you are signing up for a new line at a carrier.

The 3a at 400 with 3+ years of updates, no bloat, best camera on the market, great battery life is going to sell on its own. Especially since it looks like it will be in Sprint, TMobile and Verizon.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. That puts it at $200. That's not going to happen.

You aren't going to see Pixel 3 level discounts on the 3a unless you are signing up for a new line at a carrier.

The 3a at 400 with 3+ years of updates, no bloat, best camera on the market, great battery life is going to sell on its own. Especially since it looks like it will be in Sprint, TMobile and Verizon.

I do wonder. Google phones have no sex factor. And no one cares about camera that much outside of youtubers.

Hope it does well though.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I said it in the Pixel 3a leak thread, 400$/€ for everything Pixel 3/3 XL with a SD670, headphone jack and no notch or pinholes for the front camera is a great offer, no matter how you put it. The 670 is miles ahead the 660, and lets not forget that early 2018 660 phones also started at 400, and it its only now that they are close to 200, after being in the market nearly 3 years. I honestly see the 3a as a well spent investment.

Oct 25, 2017
j5Ovbtj.jpg

... what? Loads of people care about camera quality in their phones because it's the only camera they have. Hell, my friend, who has never watched a tech video in her life, has wanted a Pixel phone for over a year exclusively because of its camera's reputation.

Dude. Your average Joe doesn't care. I've been on Facebook before and oh god man I wish ppl cared! Would be nice!

As long as they can slap on some ugly filters. It's all the same.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
He's not wrong. As long as the camera is decent to good, most people are content.

If the camera was as important as you think, the Pixel wouldn't be struggling.

Samsung and Apple are both struggling with growth as well. That is not Pixel specific and you know it

If the pixel didn't have an amazing camera it would be dead in the water by now. Like HTC level.

Everyone keeps saying all cameras are fine now. Go take a photo in dark bar with weird lighting or next to a Christmas tree.

90% of them will be trash but phones that are awesome at complex lighting (Pixel).

Lastly, even IF cameras were all good enough now people still fall for the camera marketing hype. It's very important to consumers.

Oct 26, 2017
Samsung and Apple are both struggling with growth as well. That is not Pixel specific and you know it

If the pixel didn't have an amazing camera it would be dead in the water by now. Like HTC level.

Everyone keeps saying all cameras are fine now. Go take a photo in dark bar with weird lighting or next to a Christmas tree.

90% of them will be trash but phones that are awesome at complex lighting (Pixel).

Lastly, even IF cameras were all good enough now people still fall for the camera marketing hype. It's very important to consumers.
None of this refutes my point. A great camera isn't a top priority for most people. A decent to good camera is.

Oct 25, 2017
Also its pretty freaking hard to market the camera on the pixel. Like... 'using ai to make the picture pretty' isn't really easy to sell. Which is why LG and huawei are using the 'scene selector' icons to at least have users feel like there is some fancy ai doing fancy stuff.

Pixel also lacking on the extra lenses doesn't help either.

You can pretty easily demonstrate the dopeness of an ultra wide angle lense... or the dopeness of a telephoto zoom lense.

Hopefully google gets on this stuff.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to move Pixel units with that design. Doesn't matter how cheap they make them, or how much people do or don't care about camera quality. The 3a is a waste of time. It looks so antiquated it's hilarious. And what's even more troubling is that Google is evidently still shopping around for a Pixel 4 design.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
They're not going to move Pixel units with that design. Doesn't matter how cheap they make them, or how much people do or don't care about camera quality. The 3a is a waste of time. It looks so antiquated it's hilarious. And what's even more troubling is that Google is evidently still shopping around for a Pixel 4 design.

Lol. Some 14 year old posts on Twitter there are 4 design teams fighting it out and you believe it and assume Google is doomed.

And yes the Pixel 3a is going to sell bucket loads by having the best still camera camera on the market at $400.

Last edited:

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
The cheapest iPhone Apple is currently offering is the $450 iPhone 7 and it almost certainly still says pretty well (Alongside the $600 iPhone 8). I think ya'll are deluding yourselves if you think a $400 Pixel isn't going to sell well.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The cheapest iPhone Apple is currently offering is the $450 iPhone 7 and it almost certainly still says pretty well (Alongside the $600 iPhone 8). I think ya'll are deluding yourselves if you think a $400 Pixel isn't going to sell well.
In what universe is the Pixel on the same level as an iPhone?

Not to mention that to this day you can't officially buy a Pixel almost anywhere in the world.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand Google's strategy here, are they releasing the Pixel 3a for a year long shelf live or will they release a Pixel 4a with the Pixel 4 (which would make sense to me) giving the 3a a short lifespan.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Deciding between a OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro. I dislike notches, and I never use a front facing camera. What do you guys think? Is it worth paying more?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Text messages dont go through when the phones screen is off or when the phone itself is off, I always have to download them. What can I do to fix it?

Oneplus 5t Google Fi.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
I love that you think that was about specs.

A Pixel phone had not gone EOL yet so you can't be talking about long term support since we dont know. I guess if you're referring to customer service than yes than you are correct since Apples is much better.

Text messages dont go through when the phones screen is off or when the phone itself is off, I always have to download them. What can I do to fix it?

Oneplus 5t Google Fi.

You can always contact your carrier or OnePlus. Which messaging app are you using? If you are using the OnePlus one you should switch to Google Messages since you are on Fi.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Pixel phone had not gone EOL yet so you can't be talking about long term support since we dont know. I guess if you're referring to customer service than yes than you are correct since Apples is much better.
must be talking about fanbase or ... i dunno? Apple ecosystem? like how Android Wear gets dinged for not working as good on iPhone, but Apple Watch gets handwaved for not working at all on iPhone.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
must be talking about fanbase or ... i dunno? Apple ecosystem? like how Android Wear gets dinged for not working as good on iPhone, but Apple Watch gets handwaved for not working at all on iPhone.
The argument I replied to says that a 450 dollar iPhone sells well, so a Pixel will as well.

Where as a Pixel has tons of competition. None of the allure attached to it's name. Sells fairly poorly compared to it's competition in the premium market (as per Alphabet's own quarterly report), and if they finally launch in more than a dozen countries worldwide, being a newcomer there as well.

A "budget" iPhone sells at a relatively high price of 450 because if you want an iPhone and you don't have much money, that is your option.

A budget Pixel at a fairly high price with lower mid-range specs and a great camera isn't guaranteed to sell like mad, and that isn't about "deluding" ourselves as the OP said, but about being in an entirely different position and market.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
The argument I replied to says that a 450 dollar iPhone sells well, so a Pixel will as well.

Where as a Pixel has tons of competition. None of the allure attached to it's name. Sells fairly poorly compared to it's competition in the premium market (as per Alphabet's own quarterly report), and if they finally launch in more than a dozen countries worldwide, being a newcomer there as well.

A "budget" iPhone sells at a relatively high price of 450 because if you want an iPhone and you don't have much money, that is your option.

A budget Pixel at a fairly high price with lower mid-range specs and a great camera isn't guaranteed to sell like mad, and that isn't about "deluding" ourselves as the OP said, but about being in an entirely different position and market.

Your statement was so generic how did you expect people to react? It's impossible to come to this conclusion based on your previous reply.

The Pixel 3a will most likely sell far better than any Pixel before it. It's coming to more carriers at launch and fills a huge void in the mid range in the United States.

I know I'm being ignorant for only thinking about the us blah blah blah.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Your statement was so generic how did you expect people to react? It's impossible to come to this conclusion based on your previous reply.

The Pixel 3a will most likely sell far better than any Pixel before it. It's coming to more carriers at launch and fills a huge void in the mid range in the United States.

I know I'm being ignorant for only thinking about the us blah blah blah.
Not ignorant, but mistaken. The smartphone market for budget phones is not US centric, if you expect a Pixel budget phone to make serious numbers, I would expect it to be outside of the US, not within.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
In the US, if the thing is not being pushed by the carriers in their stores, it's not selling well.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
In the US, if the thing is not being pushed by the carriers in their stores, it's not selling well.
That, but also the US still does subsidized sales, allowing for more expensive phones to be sold to people with not the biggest budgets.

Where as most non-US countries either never had such systems, or have banned and/or regulated those systems (mostly EU for the latter). Increasing demand for budget offerings.

But even then, the competition is fierce, and companies like Samsung have competing offerings that Pixel will have to contend with while arguably being a less well known brand than them. Pixel will have a hard time in that competitive space.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
That, but also the US still does subsidized sales, allowing for more expensive phones to be sold to people with not the biggest budgets.

Where as most non-US countries either never had such systems, or have banned and/or regulated those systems (mostly EU for the latter). Increasing demand for budget offerings.

But even then, the competition is fierce, and companies like Samsung have competing offerings that Pixel will have to contend with while arguably being a less well known brand than them. Pixel will have a hard time in that competitive space.

The subsidizing is very different now. Before it was buried in the monthly contract. Now there is no contract but people see the line item for the phone seperately on their bill. They are well aware of how much they are paying. Times have changed.

The Pixel is a well known brand now due to the Verizon contract. It was advertised like crazy.
https://www.strategyanalytics.com/s.../02/12/google-pixel-is-starting-to-catch-fire

As I mentioned before there is a huge void in the mid range in the US. Those popular chinese handsets that sell well in Europe barely exist here. People either buy a dirt cheap moto or samsung or jump all the way up to a S10 or iPhone.

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OnePlus 7 series is confirmed to have ufs 3.0. this is going to be blazing fast

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Psyched about the One Plus 7 Pro. Reasons:

6.64" screen. Hard to believe a bigger screen STILL holds sway over me, I mean, it's GOT to stop at some point, right (I thought we'd reached that point when 4.3" screens were "too big", lol at my unbelievable naivety)? but here we are in 2019 and I still want that bigger screen. S10 only goes to 6.4. The 6.7" S10 is only on Verizon, the worst network and one I'll never be on AND costs 1400...

5G, not even sure about this part. Not really relevant but might be a cool checkbox.

All the latest specs.

All for a now reasonable rumored 749, vs 1k for the s10+?

Also, as long as I've been into phones, I've never really had the "latest and greatest" day 1 or thereabouts. I always wait, score a deal on last years flagship or something. Just one time in my life, I want to (admittedly, waste money) and be on the cutting edge for a few weeks. Just once.

That said I might have to sell a few other toys to not feel too bad about it!

I must say though I have one big worry about the Pro coming from Samsung (currently using a S8+ for about the past year). Which is with a Samsung flagship I know I can send it to them if I drop and crack the screen, and they'll fix it for ~200. With oneplus, first well, they're chinese, and while the chinese are making strides they still seem to often lack in customer service (a fact I learned owning a Huawei phone previously). They have a price list on their websites for repairs, but it doesn't give a simple all in price like Samsung. Evidently you basically have to send it in and then see how much they're gonna charge...

My nightmare scenario is always buying some super expensive new phone, and dropping it and cracking it like in the first week. So yeah. This is worrisome, but overall still kinda psyched and strongly considering purchase.

The pixel 3a XL also somewhat interests me, the camera is really nice on the flagship pixels, and this from a guy who poos-poos all the concern over smartphone cameras (been known to type "all smartphone camera pics look the same" or "if you want a camera, buy a camera" in a comment field or two lol. That said, only a 6.0 screen is my biggest issue with it.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I have a quick question regarding a broken android tablet. It's been almost a month now and the thing will not come back to life after it suddenly shut down while in use so I'm just going to buy a new one at some point. Before I try flogging the broken one on eBay for parts or whatever though, I want to make sure my google account is signed out if possible, so if I revoke access to the account from the device in a browser, will this ensure a future owner will not be signed in on my profile if they were able to revive it?

If that method does work, would it also sort out my apps too like facebook etc. or would somebody be able to get into those accounts even if the google account is no longer tied to it (pretty much all my apps are set to remember my password)?

I would really appreciate the help if anybody has an answer, and since I feel like I've worded this post really poorly, please ask if there's anything you want me to clear up.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Not sure if this is where I should be posting. Butttt, I'm looking to get a new phone. Right now I have a Galaxy S7 which was sent to me by insurance ( for my Blackberry Priv, rest its soul ). My biggest things I'm looking for are camera, screen, and battery. $500 range is where I'm looking at, on ATT too if that helps.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is where I should be posting. Butttt, I'm looking to get a new phone. Right now I have a Galaxy S7 which was sent to me by insurance ( for my Blackberry Priv, rest its soul ). My biggest things I'm looking for are camera, screen, and battery. $500 range is where I'm looking at, on ATT too if that helps.
If you are on an unlimited plan, and are willing to take a 2 year contract, you could get a S10 for $499

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Man, nothing would piss me off more than a company taking money from me they weren't owed.

Last edited:

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dunno why people don't use burner accounts with them after knowing these YEARS OF ISSUES WITH CONDUCTING COMPLETELY NORMAL RETAIL BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS but yeah, go ahead and use your proper account buying or leasing phones from Google.