• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, it's really annoying me that all of these deals I see are tied to activation and activation on carriers I'm not on anyway.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I am using iPhone 6S Plus for the past 3 years. The battery is dead, the screen shat itself. Need to change it and I narrowed the list to these four phones but I can't decide:

Honor 10
Huawei Mate 20 Lite
Honor 8X
Honor Play 64

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/...-8x-l29,huawei-honor-play,huawei-mate-20-lite

I can't see any significant differences between the devices. I want:

1) Good battery life.
2) Decent camera.

What can you recommend?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I am using iPhone 6S Plus for the past 3 years. The battery is dead, the screen shat itself. Need to change it and I narrowed the list to these four phones but I can't decide:

Honor 10
Huawei Mate 20 Lite
Honor 8X
Honor Play 64

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/...-8x-l29,huawei-honor-play,huawei-mate-20-lite

1) Good battery life.
2) Decent camera.

What can you recommend?
Why didn't you get the cheap battery replacement last year?

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Why didn't you get the cheap battery replacement last year?

I am sure we even had that in Turkey. If we did, I must have missed it.

Honor 10
Huawei Mate 20 Lite
Honor 8X
Honor Play 64

1) Good battery life.
2) Decent camera.

What can you recommend?

I bought the 8X.

Ok how about this: Huawei Mate 20 Lite vs. Honor 8X. Would any of them be comparable to my old man-iphone 6s plus? I guess they are basically the same phone. But Lite is 290₺ ($46) more expensive.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
D5-7u_8XsAA2Bhk.jpg

Realme coming to Europe sooner than expected. Press event planned for May 24th in Paris.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you've had the S8 since launch, probably, just due to battery life degregation and general wear and tear.
Yeah, I have. No wear and tear tbh other than smudges since I'm really protective of it but yeah battery life is awful compared to how it was.

EDIT: Considering the S10 Plus too

Last edited:

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Put my money where my mouth is and grabbed a Pixel 3A today. I think it'll probably be the best value around the $400 price range and many retailers are including $100 GC's which sealed the deal. My first impression setting it up is how incredibly light it feels in the hand.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
D5-7u_8XsAA2Bhk.jpg

Realme coming to Europe sooner than expected. Press event planned for May 24th in Paris.
Micro USB aside, if this lands for less than 300 I am so fucking in. Only other SD710 phone worth it and available here is the Nokia 8.1 which has that ugly ass Notch, and Nokia has the notch ears as the notification bar only, making its usage pretty weird.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Put my money where my mouth is and grabbed a Pixel 3A today. I think it'll probably be the best value around the $400 price range and many retailers are including $100 GC's which sealed the deal. My first impression setting it up is how incredibly light it feels in the hand.
What is a GC?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I also just ordered a 3a from BB to take advantage of the $100 gift card.

What settings do I have to set on my current phone/account to keep the new phone from auto-downloading any apps when I sign it into my Google Account? Last time I set up a new phone it downloaded a bunch of apps and I'd rather not have that happen this time.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
My S8+ will have to last until the Fold release or the Note 10 release. Whichever comes first.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is looking for a way to make web apps out of your most used site -- like ResetEra --, download Hermit from the Play Store. I've been looking for something to replace the functionality I lost in between one of Samsung's browser updates. Since then, I could never keep the board contained in its own wrapper and every time I opened my web app, it would open a tab in my main browser instead of keeping to itself like it used to. Right around the S10 release, as a matter of fact. Hermit is keeping things contained so far, which is good.

Only bad thing I've noticed is that it refreshes back to the main page if you open it back up from the home page instead of keeping its place like a native app (or like the Samsung app used to), but that's a relatively minor inconvenience.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
So I didn't know about the kiwi browser until I read about the news that it was blocked by google App Store.

It's a chromium based browser that can use actual Chrome extension. That means you can use unlock origin and do selective blocking and hiding with web contents. I find it very easy to use since I am already using UFO on desktop and I don't have to learn an adblock mobile browser.

You can download it from xda.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, the 3a was so close... then they decided to give it a 3Ah battery. After being spoiled by 3.8Ah and higher batteries on SD600 chipsets, I'm not looking back. For reference, my Nokia 7 Plus still gets north of 7 hours SOT (almost two days of light use or one and a half of intensive use) one year after I bought it without any kind of battery micromanagement, just regular use. The fact that The Verge review mentioned "4 hours SOT" as an "all day battery"... sweetie, no. I really like picking up my phone at 50-60% and know it will handle a whole evening and night out just fine, and that I don't have to panic and rush to an outlet ASAP if it goes below 25%, which on most phones with a 3Ah battery it means "I'm going to die in the next half an hour".

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I installed the Android Q dev preview 3 last night and now my Pixel 3 is back to having the older three button navigation system. I am delighted by this (I hate the gesture crap they added with Pie) , but trying to temper my enthusiasm. A friend of mine has the same phone and also installed DP3 last night, but he still has the gesture controls. I thought it might be because I use Nova Launcher Prime and he uses the Pixel launcher, but I switched back to the Pixel launcher and it stayed the same. Not sure why they're different, but I'll make hay while the sun is shining. Also, loving dark mode.

The Verge review mentioned "4 hours SOT" as an "all day battery"... sweetie, no.
No judgment, but I really don't understand you folks who spend that much time staring at your phone in one day. It's rare for me to hit two hours SOT.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
No judgment, but I really don't understand you folks who spend that much time staring at your phone in one day. It's rare for me to hit two hours SOT.

With 4 hours, if you have for example ~2 hours commute on public transit you already fried half of it in those literal two sittings. The other half must survive calls, messages, social media, music playback, the random Pokémon Go walk... the most minor inconvenience or unplanned event means you will be panicking for a wall outlet and charger before arriving home. And after battery degradation kicks in (which is much earlier on phones you have to charge daily or even twice a day) those 4 hours turn into barely 3, making things much MUCH worse and forcing you to carry a portable battery everywhere and/or arriving late at places because you forgot to plug your phone before leaving and that "35%" won't last for more than a couple of hours even with minimal use. Trust me, been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I installed the Android Q dev preview 3 last night and now my Pixel 3 is back to having the older three button navigation system. I am delighted by this (I hate the gesture crap they added with Pie) , but trying to temper my enthusiasm. A friend of mine has the same phone and also installed DP3 last night, but he still has the gesture controls. I thought it might be because I use Nova Launcher Prime and he uses the Pixel launcher, but I switched back to the Pixel launcher and it stayed the same. Not sure why they're different, but I'll make hay while the sun is shining. Also, loving dark mode.

There's an option in settings to choose between the 3 button nav, older gesture system, and new gesture system.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
There's an option in settings to choose between the 3 button nav, older gesture system, and new gesture system.
Sweet, thank you so much. In the dev previews for Pie they allowed you to pick between the classic nav menu or the gesture thing, but took the option away with the final release. I hope they let you keep using the three button system when the final Q build releases this fall.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 3A's prices are good when converted to our local currencies.
Still sad there's no way buy.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Micro USB aside, if this lands for less than 300 I am so fucking in. Only other SD710 phone worth it and available here is the Nokia 8.1 which has that ugly ass Notch, and Nokia has the notch ears as the notification bar only, making its usage pretty weird.
Realme 3 Pro sells for the equivalent of 180 up to 220 Euro (6+128 GB variant) in India, so sub 300 Euro should be a given.

It's quite a compelling offering at that price point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, thank you so much. In the dev previews for Pie they allowed you to pick between the classic nav menu or the gesture thing, but took the option away with the final release. I hope they let you keep using the three button system when the final Q build releases this fall.

It's definitely going away completely eventually. Better get used to it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely going away completely eventually. Better get used to it.

Or just get phones with custom ROMs or find apps that restore it with root. No need to get used to anything when you can restore things to how they should be.

Thankfully on the Razer phone 2 in Pie, I've tweaked the volume button behaviour back to ringtone, got the vertical app switcher back and still got nav buttons without root even.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
the Nokia 8.1 seems the better deal tbh.

Unless you really need a damn good camera on your phone.
My mom bought a 5.1 plus, and I absolutely hate the way Nokia implements the notch. The 8.1 looks good but the Realme 3 Pro has a more subtle notch, and I would think trying to compete with Redmi would mean more surprising features and support than the Nokia.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Does anyone know how Android Auto updates work? I see that Google is updating it finally, but I have no idea which cars get the update or if it should come only on newer vehicles?

Edit. Wait, is it just the phone app being updated and then boom, its updated? Nothing needed in the car itself?

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So I didn't know about the kiwi browser until I read about the news that it was blocked by google App Store.

It's a chromium based browser that can use actual Chrome extension. That means you can use unlock origin and do selective blocking and hiding with web contents. I find it very easy to use since I am already using UFO on desktop and I don't have to learn an adblock mobile browser.

You can download it from xda.
So does that mean there's no more updates for it? At least via the store?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know how Android Auto updates work? I see that Google is updating it finally, but I have no idea which cars get the update or if it should come only on newer vehicles?

Edit. Wait, is it just the phone app being updated and then boom, its updated? Nothing needed in the car itself?

Correct. Everything really runs on the phone — the car is just for input/output.

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the Q Beta for my Pixel 2. Works fine, but I don't think I got everything.

Dark mode for me works, but it's not native to everything like I've seen on other videos about it.

Calendar white. Message app white. Chrome white. Gmail white. Don't see anything in the settings to change. What's that about?