• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
My mom bought a 5.1 plus, and I absolutely hate the way Nokia implements the notch. The 8.1 looks good but the Realme 3 Pro has a more subtle notch, and I would think trying to compete with Redmi would mean more surprising features and support than the Nokia.

they did release the X71 in taiwain which has the punchole camera. I'm holding off to see if that comes to the west soon.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
they did release the X71 in taiwain which has the punchole camera. I'm holding off to see if that comes to the west soon.
That phone is gonna burn a hole in my wallet if I were to ever buy it. Its gonna be a 400€ using the SD660, no amount of new camera tech and thin bezels is gonna make me agree with that decision, it should have been an SD710.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
that post had so many typos, woops.

It'd be a bit weird to release a 8.1 Plus model (as rumoured) with a lesser CPU than the previous.

Guess we'll see soon enough if they stick with the SD660

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Downloaded the Q Beta for my Pixel 2. Works fine, but I don't think I got everything.

Dark mode for me works, but it's not native to everything like I've seen on other videos about it.

Calendar white. Message app white. Chrome white. Gmail white. Don't see anything in the settings to change. What's that about?
The apps need to be updated. My Contacts and Photos are dark already.

brassica

Oct 26, 2017
France
Hi Everyone!
I have an issue with sound notifications, on my Oneplus 5T, both on latest OOS 9.0.5 & LineageOS 16 : some apps I have have their own notifications sound, but it is replaced by the default system sound, making it difficult to know when heard, which app is giving the notification. In some apps you can, in the setting, change the sound notification to the app one, but in others it is not possible to do so. Any idea where to do that in the system settings?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Anyone using Outlook and also sync contacts? Every now and then my OP6 just loses every contact and I have to reset my Outlook account Really terrible...

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So been playing with my 3A that I picked up yesterday (I haven't moved my SIM yet since I don't have a case and don't want to carry it around), and really like it in comparison to my Moto Z Play. Much smoother experience, screen is much nicer, but the size will take some getting used to between the two.

Coming from what was essentially a mid-range phone as well, I don't really think it feels slow or anything at all, but as I said, I'm not coming from a high powered flagship.

One thing I've noticed on reviews of this thing is that I've seen like three videos where people say it feels fine despite the processor in comparison to the regular Pixel 3, but then note the 4GB of RAM potentially being an issue - as if the regular Pixel 3 doesn't also only have 4GB of RAM.

In any event, need to figure out if I want to stick to stock launcher or customize with Nova or something else. I like vanilla Android, but that non-removable "At-A-Glance" widget on the homescreen is kind of bugging me.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
My credit union finally allowed Google Pay and Samsung Pay beginning today. I have access to both.

Which one should I use?

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Pixel 3 on Q beta 3 with full gestures turned on is just a joy to use. The gestures are great and the os is just smoother than pie.

I actually hated the gestures at first but now I'm so glad Google copied IOS / WebOS.

Excited for the final release. Just hope they get battery up as that took a hit imo.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just as soon as I got myself a Pixel 3a, Moto leaks the Moto One Vision, which has equal/better specs (microSD, bigger battery, better camera hardware, much bigger screen in the same sized package) at a lower price (at least in Europe). Yay.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...h-219-display-exynos-chipset-and-48mp-camera/
motorola-one-vision.png

Available next week.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Just as soon as I got myself a Pixel 3a, Moto leaks the Moto One Vision, which has equal/better specs (microSD, bigger battery, better camera hardware, much bigger screen in the same sized package) at a lower price (at least in Europe). Yay.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...h-219-display-exynos-chipset-and-48mp-camera/
motorola-one-vision.png

Available next week.

I'm assuming you got the Pixel for it's camera and updates though which both will suck on this Moto.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 3 on Q beta 3 with full gestures turned on is just a joy to use. The gestures are great and the os is just smoother than pie.

I actually hated the gestures at first but now I'm so glad Google copied IOS / WebOS.

Excited for the final release. Just hope they get battery up as that took a hit imo.

Just installed it on my P2XL. Using the new gestures, and I'm definitely not sold yet. The main thing that bugs me is that it's a much bigger effort to get to Recents now. Before it was just a quick swipe up, now I have to swipe up and stop, then release. Just not nearly as smooth, and I'm constantly going to Home by accident. I almost never actually want to do that, as I keep my most used apps in Recents and just switch between them there. Quickly "alt-tabbing" is also not nearly as fast and easy now. So yeah, these changes have made my typical flows more of a chore.

I'm liking not having to reach for the back button (especially when using the phone one-handed), and also just the general increase in screen space available to apps. So it's a mix of good and bad for me. Sticking with it, and hopefully I'll get used to it. The old gesture navigation is going away completely in the final release, and I don't want to go back to no gestures at all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
The camera's up in the air, but the Moto One Vision is an Android One device, so updates are pretty regular, if a few weeks after what Pixel devices.

I'd definitely trade the Pixel 3a's awful screen for those small delays.

Pixel 3a does not have an awful screen. It's a Samsung OLED. Moto cameras suck period.

I missed that this Moto was Android One but if it is those devices are not just a few weeks behind Pixel devices. Android One is clean Android software but it's not the same update experience. They've shown to fall extremely far behind and get abandoned early.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Just installed it on my P2XL. Using the new gestures, and I'm definitely not sold yet. The main thing that bugs me is that it's a much bigger effort to get to Recents now. Before it was just a quick swipe up, now I have to swipe up and stop, then release. Just not nearly as smooth, and I'm constantly going to Home by accident. I almost never actually want to do that, as I keep my most used apps in Recents and just switch between them there. Quickly "alt-tabbing" is also not nearly as fast and easy now. So yeah, these changes have made my typical flows more of a chore.

I'm liking not having to reach for the back button (especially when using the phone one-handed), and also just the general increase in screen space available to apps. So it's a mix of good and bad for me. Sticking with it, and hopefully I'll get used to it. The old gesture navigation is going away completely in the final release, and I don't want to go back to no gestures at all.

As I said I did hate it at first. I get your annoyances though but give it some time. It's very elegant once you get used to it. It's also beta some maybe they will fill in some of that missing functionality yet.

Last edited:

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
The new Moto gestures are as good as I can imagine they could get. Google should just copy that.

No back button at all.
Press for home.
Swipe up for Recent.
Swipe left to go back, from anywhere.
Swipe right to switch between last two apps repeatedly.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pixel 3a does not have an awful screen. It's a Samsung OLED. Moto cameras suck period.

I missed that this Moto was Android One but if it is those devices are not just a few weeks behind Pixel devices. Android One is clean Android software but it's not the same update experience. They've shown to fall extremely far behind and get abandoned early.

I have a Pixel 3a. The screen is objectively awful. Whites shift to Galaxy 4-like greens at even a 30 degree angle. Due to the nature of AMOLED subpixels, it also looks fuzzier than FHD. This stuff is blantantly obvious within just a few moments of use. (Samsung makes a lot of different panels, some awful, some good.)

Both my Android One phones have April security patches (the Pixel 3a is stuck on March) and were updated to Pie pretty quickly, despite one being a year+ old at the time. I expect both will get Q, the Nokia shortly after Q's official release and the Moto within a few months at most (although the phone will be over two years old at the time, so maybe not). I'm not aware of any Android One devices being abandoned early or falling really far behind, at least not in the US.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said I did gate it at first. I get your annoyances though but give it some time. It's very elegant once you get used to it. It's also beta some maybe they will fill in some of that missing functionality yet.

Yeah, hopefully. It also just plain doesn't work from the homescreen for me sometimes, I just get the app drawer but no Recents. But yeah, I know it's a beta.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Moto gestures are as good as I can imagine they could get. Google should just copy that.

No back button at all.
Press for home.
Swipe up for Recent.
Swipe left to go back, from anywhere.
Swipe right to switch between last two apps repeatedly.

Press where to go home? Not familiar with how their solution looks. But the problem with Google's first gesture nav attempt, which did have a home button to press, was that the nav bar still took as much space on the screen as the old nav. So it didn't really achieve much (although I personally liked it).The new solution lets apps fill up the entire screen, like on an iPhone.

But yeah, there is still the tiny horizontal bar at the bottom, and while it's small it could work as a home button. I think I would prefer that, and swipe up just being Recents. But I guess they want it to be 100% gestures, no "buttons".

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I usually rock Samsung browser for the most part now. I do keep my Chrome Beta installed. I have to say, I think they finally are close to nailing down the proper speed. Browser scrolls pretty slick and they moved the taskbar to the bottom. Just wish it would hide when scrolling.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Before I buy the S10 Plus, is there anything I should know? Coming from an S8 Plus.

If you used AdHell Samsung limits who can get the key (have to be a dev/business working on Android apps and provide proof now). I switched to Adguard (not on Play Store or obvious reasons) and it's pretty much the same. I did notice a decrease in battery life though.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Press where to go home? Not familiar with how their solution looks. But the problem with Google's first gesture nav attempt, which did have a home button to press, was that the nav bar still took as much space on the screen as the old nav. So it didn't really achieve much (although I personally liked it).The new solution lets apps fill up the entire screen, like on an iPhone.

But yeah, there is still the tiny horizontal bar at the bottom, and while it's small it could work as a home button. I think I would prefer that, and swipe up just being Recents. But I guess they want it to be 100% gestures, no "buttons".
Yes sorry. On Moto, There is a single small horizontal bar at bottom of screen... (u have to enable in settings, off by default)

Press for home and Swipe for all other gestures as noted.

Left to back, up recent, right rotate last two apps

Last edited:

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
I have a Pixel 3a. The screen is objectively awful. Whites shift to Galaxy 4-like greens at even a 30 degree angle. Due to the nature of AMOLED subpixels, it also looks fuzzier than FHD. This stuff is blantantly obvious within just a few moments of use. (Samsung makes a lot of different panels, some awful, some good.)

Both my Android One phones have April security patches (the Pixel 3a is stuck on March) and were updated to Pie pretty quickly, despite one being a year+ old at the time. I expect both will get Q, the Nokia shortly after Q's official release and the Moto within a few months at most (although the phone will be over two years old at the time, so maybe not). I'm not aware of any Android One devices being abandoned early or falling really far behind, at least not in the US.

Maybe you have a bad OLED and need to exchange? I thought it looked great in the store. Youre an owner and I'm not so I guess I will take your word for it.

Moto X4 on Google Fi was a few months late on the Android Pie release. Also Pixels have 3 year support minimums and Android One phones do not.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If you used AdHell Samsung limits who can get the key (have to be a dev/business working on Android apps and provide proof now). I switched to Adguard (not on Play Store or obvious reasons) and it's pretty much the same. I did notice a decrease in battery life though.
Wait, you can't get the 3-month trial key anymore? Is that a new thing, because I put Adhell on my S10e as soon as I got it with one of those keys I generated myself.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Maybe you have a bad OLED and need to exchange? I thought it looked great in the store. Youre an owner and I'm not so I guess I will take your word for it.

Moto X4 on Google Fi was a few months late on the Android Pie release. Also Pixels have 3 year support minimums and Android One phones do not.

You've been spouting some shit man.

Android one gets 3 years of security updates and 2 years of major updates. The moto X4 is not android one and has no relevance to the discussion.

Yeah, if you want a high end camera in a cheaper phone the Pixel will win out but in most other avenues the moto phone (as currently leaked at least) is a better deal.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I'm also not liking the new swiping navigation from Android Q. My case is a bit tall on the sides so it sucks to swipe "back". But that is not my main issue, if I have my keyboard up it thinks I am writing y swiping, if I have WhatsApp open it usually thinks I am swiping to reply to a message, if I have Google photos it thinks I am swiping to the next/previos photo. The solution is "swipe and hold", so now every "back" take long negra than it ever did or that it was meant to take. Add to that when you open a page on Chrome and accidentally hit those annoying ads and need to hit back a few times to go back and you spent 5 seconds when you used to spend less than one. Or if I am on YouTube in landscape and want to scroll from the beginning of the video it thinks I want to alt+tab to another app... lots of inconsistency.

One good thing is that moving from open apps is a lot better, sliding back and forth is great, in the last Android it wasn't as intuitive. I believe they expect us to use this a lot more than the swipe up and hold that takes more time. Anyway, I keep swiping up and going to the home screen all the time, need to get used to it.

Another small complaint, the small thin bar on the bottom looks ugly as hell. If I am on Era the entire screen is black (dark theme), the top is purple (the color the system defaults for the Chrome skin) and the bar is white. The bar should be transparent or match the color of something on the screen.

I believe apps will be updated to support gestures decently in the future, but for now it is a shitshow, there are 3 different ways of using the back functionality and there is no way apps will prioritize the one method that the least people use.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Android one gets 3 years of security updates and 2 years of major updates. The moto X4 is not android one and has no relevance to the discussion.

Yeah, if you want a high end camera in a cheaper phone the Pixel will win out but in most other avenues the moto phone (as currently leaked at least) is a better deal.

The Moto X4 was the first Android One phone in the US and offered directly by Google on Fi. There's also a non-A1 version, but even it was upgraded to Pie not-too-late and has recent security updates.

Incidentally, the Android One X4 is on sale for a great price at Best Buy this week ($120-something, including $50 of airtime credit and a bonus junk phone). Outside of the camera, it's a really good budget/midrange phone at a bottom-dollar price.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018

Telling me Im spewing shit when im not? Nice.

As you saw by the other poster. The X4 is in fact available in Android One. I specifically said it was for Google Fi so that should have triggered you to think of the US variant since Google Fi isnt in the UK.

Also, Pixel phones get three years minimum of actual OS updates while Android One phones get two and like I said earlier they can be very late.

Android One is not in the same league as Pixels when it comes to update support.

Last edited:

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Telling me Im spewing shit when im not? Nice.

As you saw by the other poster. The X4 is in fact available in Android One. I specifically said it was for Google Fi so that should have triggered you to think of the US variant since Google Fi isnt in the UK.

Also, Pixel phones get three years minimum of actual OS updates while Android One phones get two and like I said earlier they can be very late.

Android One is not in the same league as Pixels when it comes to update support.

Uh huh. You did proceed to completely talk down the updates despite being corrected twice regarding Android One. You've now conveniently changed the goal posts to 'actual OS updates'. That's some spewing of shit.

security updates are still updates, and having 2+ years of support is something that's usually restricted to a very small set of OEM flagship phones.

More mid range phones doing this is a good thing, so yeah I welcome a phone that doesn't have a premium like the Pixel 3a being feasible in the long term.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Uh huh. You did proceed to completely talk down the updates despite being corrected twice regarding how Android One works. You've now conveniently changed the goal posts to 'actual OS updates'. That's some spewing of shit.

security updates are still updates, and having 2+ years of support is something that's usually restricted to a very small set of OEM flagship phones.

What? LOL. I have not been corrected twice on how Android One works. I was corrected that the Moto leak was an Android One device. Nothing about how the program works.

And no i did not shift the goal posts to os updates. When I said updates I always meant os updates. Not once did I specify them as security. It was you who took it as security updates. It doesn't take a genius to realize I was talking about OS since like I said the One devices do not get three years.

You literally told me I was spewing shit when you had false information yet you continue to say I am spewing shit. You are in a hole. Just stop.

Last edited:

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
What? LOL. I have not been corrected twice on how Android One works. I was corrected that the Moto leak was an Android One device. Nothing about how the program works.

And no i did not shift the goal posts to os updates. When I said updates I always meant os updates. Not once did I specify them as security. It was you who took it as security updates. It doesn't take a genius to realize I was talking about OS since like I said the One devices do not get three years.

You literally told me I was spewing shit when you had false information yet you continue to say I am spewing shit. You are in a hole. Just stop.

I've posted corrections to your assumptions. That's where I'll leave it.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also not liking the new swiping navigation from Android Q. My case is a bit tall on the sides so it sucks to swipe "back". But that is not my main issue, if I have my keyboard up it thinks I am writing y swiping, if I have WhatsApp open it usually thinks I am swiping to reply to a message, if I have Google photos it thinks I am swiping to the next/previos photo. The solution is "swipe and hold", so now every "back" take long negra than it ever did or that it was meant to take. Add to that when you open a page on Chrome and accidentally hit those annoying ads and need to hit back a few times to go back and you spent 5 seconds when you used to spend less than one. Or if I am on YouTube in landscape and want to scroll from the beginning of the video it thinks I want to alt+tab to another app... lots of inconsistency.

One good thing is that moving from open apps is a lot better, sliding back and forth is great, in the last Android it wasn't as intuitive. I believe they expect us to use this a lot more than the swipe up and hold that takes more time. Anyway, I keep swiping up and going to the home screen all the time, need to get used to it.

Another small complaint, the small thin bar on the bottom looks ugly as hell. If I am on Era the entire screen is black (dark theme), the top is purple (the color the system defaults for the Chrome skin) and the bar is white. The bar should be transparent or match the color of something on the screen.

I believe apps will be updated to support gestures decently in the future, but for now it is a shitshow, there are 3 different ways of using the back functionality and there is no way apps will prioritize the one method that the least people use.

Apps need to be updated to use the full screen, including the part behind the bar, and that includes Chrome. Once it has been, you will see the page scrolling behind it. Should look a lot better.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good car charger that they like? I need a new one for my Pixel 3, as my years old one doesn't charge normal speed, much less rapid or faster charging.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Late as hell response, I don't use this but I do appreciate the heads up :)

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how often system software is updated on Android devices? I have a Moto X Pure on Android version 7.0 and it is completely unable to make or receive any phone calls, the phone only able to take voicemails but not able to dial or contact for those messages to be listened to. I've tried various fixes for this known issue from others online already including attempting backing up and factory resetting my phone (I'm currently unable to force the phone to back itself up so resetting it now is impossible), wiping the cache partition, everything, but the voicemails keep piling up. Should I wait for Samsung/Google to fix the issue, or is this model fully depreciated? Is it time for a new phone only three years in? I just bought a new battery for it, too, and I'm thinking it might be pointless to install it with this issue plaguing it.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looked at the s10e and s10. Like holy shit my 6T is massive in comparison to them. Like to the point I'm kind of considering going back down to a 5.5ish size phone.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know how often system software is updated on Android devices? I have a Moto X Pure on Android version 7.0 and it is completely unable to make or receive any phone calls, the phone only able to take voicemails but not able to dial or contact for those messages to be listened to. I've tried various fixes for this known issue from others online already including attempting backing up and factory resetting my phone (I'm currently unable to force the phone to back itself up so resetting it now is impossible), wiping the cache partition, everything, but the voicemails keep piling up. Should I wait for Samsung/Google to fix the issue, or is this model fully depreciated? Is it time for a new phone only three years in? I just bought a new battery for it, too, and I'm thinking it might be pointless to install it with this issue plaguing it.

Long since deprecated. Three years is an eternity in Android land (with the exception of a few devices like the Pixel 1).

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Long since deprecated. Three years is an eternity in Android land (with the exception of a few devices like the Pixel 1).
So does that mean the issue isn't ever going to be fixed? I read that this happened due to a recent update, but I don't remember my phone installing anything past 7.0.