• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
should I buy a 3a or an s10e

or a used iphone x. .. . . .
US correct? I would just wait till tuesday if I was gonna buy a 400-500$ cell phone, Redmi is gonna go even harder than Xiaomi with the Pocophone last year with a flagship level device at an uber low price. I'm talking glass and metal build, OLED screen with UD-FPR, 6GB ram, SD855, Full screen display with a motorized selfie cam, stereo speakers, 3.5mm jack and micro SD support, and the rumored price is not gonna be higher than 500 for the base models. Even could be lower than 400. But I dunno if it can support US carriers.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
US correct? I would just wait till tuesday if I was gonna buy a 400-500$ cell phone, Redmi is gonna go even harder than Xiaomi with the Pocophone last year with a flagship level device at an uber low price. I'm talking glass and metal build, OLED screen with UD-FPR, 6GB ram, SD855, Full screen display with a motorized selfie cam, stereo speakers, 3.5mm jack and micro SD support, and the rumored price is not gonna be higher than 500 for the base models. Even could be lower than 400. But I dunno if it can support US carriers.
Europa and I want something a bit smaller (even though 3a isn't that small) hence me ignoring many of the chinese midrange options. You're talking about the K20 though right? Looks nice.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Europa and I want something a bit smaller (even though 3a isn't that small) hence me ignoring many of the chinese midrange options. You're talking about the K20 though right? Looks nice.
Yep. With a 6.3in screen with no bezels and what not, its roughly gonna be the size of a Pixel 3a, so maaaaybe its gonna be small enough. But yeah, that's definitely an issue these days, one of my friends wants a small 130€ phone with nothing larger than a 5.5in screen, and I couldn't find anything worth it at that price with that screen size.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way I'd buy a 3a at full price. It's way worse than the S10e in every way apart from camera (slightly) and software updates (but I'd rather have Samsung's software at this point).
The only reason (aside from the camera) I'm considering the 3a is it's cheaper so if I wanted a "stop gap" phone for like a year+ (since I usually use the same for several) it would make a sooner upgrade not make me feel like I wasted as much money lol. It's like a 200eur + difference between the s10e and the 3a, but still leaning towards the s10e.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The only reason (aside from the camera) I'm considering the 3a is it's cheaper so if I wanted a "stop gap" phone for like a year+ (since I usually use the same for several) it would make a sooner upgrade not make me feel like I wasted as much money lol. It's like a 200eur + difference between the s10e and the 3a, but still leaning towards the s10e.

Id get the Pixel because I really value having pure Android and quick updates (I even use the beta ones). And the camera is great. If you area already buying a phone thinking about an upgrade in a year or so, better get the cheaper one, which in this case doesnt even mean that it is a 'worst' phone, it has pros and cons.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Id get the Pixel because I really value having pure Android and quick updates (I even use the beta ones). And the camera is great. If you area already buying a phone thinking about an upgrade in a year or so, better get the cheaper one, which in this case doesnt even mean that it is a 'worst' phone, it has pros and cons.
Yeah I'll see. I'd be fine with any of them I'm sure. Want to delay a bit to see if post launch pixel jank reports appear lol.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Im very happy with my S10e, it's the first phone I've had in a while that I feel like I won't need to upgrade in a year (or at least WANT to upgrade).

Great camera (really like the fisheye lens mode), perfect size (small, but still has a large screen), Samsung Pay, surprisingly solid battery life, great performance, and large 128gb internal storage (AND SD Card slot).
And the Samsung Buds have perfect audio sync for videos in the S10, which is really great.

I can't really think of any upgrades in the next year or two that would tempt me to upgrade. 90hz+ screens are nice, but they seem to hurt battery life. Foldables are cool, but too expensive and "gen 1". Performance improvements I couldn't really care less about (my several year old Moto Z Play still runs fine to me).

About the only thing that could get me to upgrade would be if iOS finally gets split screen app multitasking, and brings back a fingerprint sensor again, I'm not the biggest fan of Face ID.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Im very happy with my S10e, it's the first phone I've had in a while that I feel like I won't need to upgrade in a year (or at least WANT to upgrade).

Great camera (really like the fisheye lens mode), perfect size (small, but still has a large screen), Samsung Pay, surprisingly solid battery life, great performance, and large 128gb internal storage (AND SD Card slot).
And the Samsung Buds have perfect audio sync for videos in the S10, which is really great.

I can't really think of any upgrades in the next year or two that would tempt me to upgrade. 90hz+ screens are nice, but they seem to hurt battery life. Foldables are cool, but too expensive and "gen 1". Performance improvements I couldn't really care less about (my several year old Moto Z Play still runs fine to me).

About the only thing that could get me to upgrade would be if iOS finally gets split screen app multitasking, and brings back a fingerprint sensor again, I'm not the biggest fan of Face ID.
Yeah it seems great. I like the form factor and screen ratio. I was hesitant because it's harder to get a snapdragon version here but I found one.

My major loss from an iOS switch would be the lack of NTS radio app which I use all the time. Only reason I'm still considering a used X despite the scam pricing lol.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Okay ResetEra, I need help.

My Gear S3 was working and receiving updates flawlessly until I updated it 2 days (Tizen 4.0.02 / R765TUVU3DRL6) And now I don't have receive any notifications. Only thing it seems to be receiving is the default SMS notifications which I was previously using Textra as my default SMS app on my phone and I would get notifications of it on my Gear S3. I'm not getting WhatsApp, Snapchat, Instagram notifications or anything else for that matter.

I have attempted a factory reset and somehow it's still the same software version, please advise how to to fix it.

Thank you.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Night mode updates seem to be coming to all the lens and it looks like it's a good improvement.

I'm very satisfied with my S10 so far. The only thing lacking for me is the lack of a faster charging speed and missing out on the telephoto lens improvements. Neither of which will have me running out to get a new phone. 90 Hz screens are great, but I don't really care that much about getting a new phone just for that as I own a iPad Pro, which has a higher refresh rate.

Everything has been buttery smooth and I haven't had one issue. My launcher set up is perfect and I can do everything with one hand thanks to superior gesture controls possible through the use of Good lock + one handed operation + with Samsung's gesture navigation enabled.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never settle
Okay ResetEra, I need help.

My Gear S3 was working and receiving updates flawlessly until I updated it 2 days (Tizen 4.0.02 / R765TUVU3DRL6) And now I don't have receive any notifications. Only thing it seems to be receiving is the default SMS notifications which I was previously using Textra as my default SMS app on my phone and I would get notifications of it on my Gear S3. I'm not getting WhatsApp, Snapchat, Instagram notifications or anything else for that matter.

I have attempted a factory reset and somehow it's still the same software version, please advise how to to fix it.

Thank you.
doublecheck the notification settings in the Galaxy Wearable app?

factory reset clears user data, it won't clear an OS update.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Just under a week of using the OnePlus 7 Pro now and I have to admit, it has absolutely ruined other phones for me. Every time I look at my XS Max, or watch a YouTube review of a phone with a notch or a cut-out camera in the display, or even something with moderate bezels, it just looks like it's outdated to me. As someone who hardly ever uses the "selfie-cam" and certainly doesn't ever take selfies, it was ridiculous to me that we were stuck on making sacrifices for them for so long. Add to that the overall minimalist bezels all around and a chin that rivals the iPhone's, it just looks like the future in every way.

I'll gladly take the few shortcomings of the OnePlus (for me mostly the lack of wireless charging tbh) and forgive them just for the display. It's just so stunningly smooth and gorgeous. Still not a fan of curved displays, but it does help in making the screen seem massive, I won't lie.

Either way, just ranting, but I hope this time next year we'll see fewer and fewer bezels, notches, or cut-outs on the flagship models, because anything coming out after this will look immediately last-gen if it doesn't follow suit.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just under a week of using the OnePlus 7 Pro now and I have to admit, it has absolutely ruined other phones for me. Every time I look at my XS Max, or watch a YouTube review of a phone with a notch or a cut-out camera in the display, or even something with moderate bezels, it just looks like it's outdated to me. As someone who hardly ever uses the "selfie-cam" and certainly doesn't ever take selfies, it was ridiculous to me that we were stuck on making sacrifices for them for so long. Add to that the overall minimalist bezels all around and a chin that rivals the iPhone's, it just looks like the future in every way.

I'll gladly take the few shortcomings of the OnePlus (for me mostly the lack of wireless charging tbh) and forgive them just for the display. It's just so stunningly smooth and gorgeous. Still not a fan of curved displays, but it does help in making the screen seem massive, I won't lie.

Either way, just ranting, but I hope this time next year we'll see fewer and fewer bezels, notches, or cut-outs on the flagship models, because anything coming out after this will look immediately last-gen if it doesn't follow suit.

I have yet to use a OnePlus 7 Pro, let alone see it in person, and am still inclined to agree with you. I'm an iPhone guy through and through, but picked up a Pixel 3a shortly after release to get a feel for how Android has progressed since Marshmallow. The device I was using at that time was a Nexus 6P, so I was also keen to see how different the experience offered by a Pixel was. The phone has been treating me well so far, and given its relatively low cost, I can't necessarily knock its tried-and-true design. I would take this smaller screen sandwiched between two bezels over the abysmal notch that Google green-lit for the Pixel 3 XL any day of the year. But, I will absolutely be yearning for something better if Apple and Google continue to make unsightly concessions to the design of their next flagship devices later this year.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
My contract is up for renewal today - currently on a OP 5T, which I'm happy with but the camera does leave some to be desired.

Really not sure whether to upgrade now (7 Pro or S10, I guess) ir wait until later this year for the next Pixel.

Is there any other options worth considering in the UK? Conscious that 5G is launching soon too, although not on my provider yet (Three).

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My contract is up for renewal today - currently on a OP 5T, which I'm happy with but the camera does leave some to be desired.

Really not sure whether to upgrade now (7 Pro or S10, I guess) ir wait until later this year for the next Pixel.

Is there any other options worth considering in the UK? Conscious that 5G is launching soon too, although not on my provider yet (Three).

I've just upgraded to the Xperia 1. Think its releasing this week, Im on EE. My XZ Premium has hit the end of its life

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I really like Samsung's One UI on their phones.

On the flip side got the One UI update for my watch and I'm not really a fan. I feel like every is washed out color wise, and some parts of the interface feel worse off now.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as that FFC remains as good as the 3 series, not particularly bothered if it's a little chunky. As has been said, still a huge improvement on the notch. And keeping front-firing stereo speakers is a huge win.

(Under-display cam can't come soon enough)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Pixel's iconic ridiculously huge notch cut-out
I edited this out right after, looking at the actual render of the protector, it seems like a regular size. I think the screenshot of the OS just makes it seem bigger and it's probably more regular sized like Samsung.

Not that I'm a fan of cut-outs over notches, especially dual camera ones, since I'd much prefer that kind of stuff centered than to the side, but it's hopefully not too bad.

I'm just glad it makes the OnePlus 7 Pro look like it'll be the best option for a while.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
If the Note 10 ditches the headphone jack, they should make the stylus have a jack and use it as some sort of Bluetooth receiver. That'd be kinda cool

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
After spending 2 days heavily using the Pixel 3A, I can agree with reviewers that's an excellent phone for the price and the camera's photos are outstanding.

With that said, my experience of using the stock pixel software confirms my belief that it's over rated in certain aspects. Going back to my S10 with full gesture navigation + good lock w/ one handed operation+ has felt so much better for navigating the phone, especially with one hand.

At least Q beta brings side swipes for back key.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
After spending 2 days heavily using the Pixel 3A, I can agree with reviewers that's an excellent phone for the price and the camera's photos are outstanding.

With that said, my experience of using the stock pixel software confirms my belief that it's over rated in certain aspects. Going back to my S10 with full gesture navigation + good lock w/ one handed operation+ has felt so much better for navigating the phone, especially with one hand.

At least Q beta brings side swipes for back key.

It's not just side swipes for the back key. It's full gestures and it's incredible. You should be able to opt the pixel 3a into Q this week and turn it on.

Glad Google copied apple / webOS here

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So, why is it so easy to delete cache files on android phones? Was using the default file manager on my Redmi 5 plus and it has a file cleaner built in. I pressed it to see what is taking up so much space that's not needed, and apparently it also treats cache files as useless junk. And I accidentally wiped 3 gigs worth of app data in the process, leading to about 20 games progress disappearing. So again, why is it so easy to just delete such important data in a matter of seconds? And why doesn't google or at least the OEM offer cloud storage for cache backups?