• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
So, why is it so easy to delete cache files on android phones? Was using the default file manager on my Redmi 5 plus and it has a file cleaner built in. I pressed it to see what is taking up so much space that's not needed, and apparently it also treats cache files as useless junk. And I accidentally wiped 3 gigs worth of app data in the process, leading to about 20 games progress disappearing. So again, why is it so easy to just delete such important data in a matter of seconds? And why doesn't google or at least the OEM offer cloud storage for cache backups?
That's more Redmi's fault than Google's--the option to wipe all cached files simply shouldn't be surfaced. You'd normally have to go into each individual app's system settings screen to wipe its cache.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Google Trips. It was actually really useful when planning trips and wanting to save info offline.

Man, Google really is terrible

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat tempted to replace my Pixel 3 with something a bit bigger and with (preferably, much) better battery life, hm...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's just absolutely no point getting involved in a Google product until it's lasted 5 years at this point.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know Google Trips existed until yesterday. I do find using Google Flights to track flight pricing very useful for planning trips (just google search "Google Flights" I see there's a trips button on the side bar included along with the flights, explore, hotels, and packages button. Maybe Google is just fully integrating all the features into one?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Q Beta 4 is up.

Running it on my Pixel 3a -- the animations for the new gesture navigation option are hilariously bad.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Q Beta 4 is up.

Running it on my Pixel 3a -- the animations for the new gesture navigation option are hilariously bad.

Just turn your animations to twice as fast. I'm either blind or I don't even know what you're talking about. The gesture nav is awesome. And so is the dark theme. On a 3a xl. Loving it.

And I dunno those with speed complaints about the 3a, just tweak the animation speed. It feels as fast as my 6T was.

.5 animations should really be the standard imo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just turn your animations to twice as fast. I'm either blind or I don't even know what you're talking about. The gesture nav is awesome. And so is the dark theme. On a 3a xl. Loving it.

And I dunno those with speed complaints about the 3a, just tweak the animation speed. It feels as fast as my 6T was.

It's not a speed thing, but it may be a Nova Launcher incompatibility.

1. The current app flashes (post-animation) when using the home gesture.
2. On the home screen, the task switcher is drawn under the icons/widgets until releasing the activating finger.
(3. Swiping back feels disconnected, but that's limitation of how Android handles back.)

Edit: Going back to the Pixel launcher resolves 1&2. Although I can't seem to pull up the multitasking cards from the Pixel home screen at all (yes, I know you can swipe right on the indicator to switch apps instead).

Last edited:

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
Hey gang, my Xperia Z5C is playing up and I don't know what to do :(

I left it charging the other night while it was updating some apps and in the morning I came back to it completely dead. I tried the power button + volume bumper method I know and got the three vibrations but since then I've had nothing, no response to charging or anything.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a speed thing, but it may be a Nova Launcher incompatibility.

1. The current app flashes (post-animation) when using the home gesture.
2. On the home screen, the task switcher is drawn under the icons/widgets until releasing the activating finger.
(3. Swiping back feels disconnected, but that's limitation of how Android handles back.)

Ah, yeah I don't feel the need to use Nova on OP or pixel phones.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The best part about Q on Pixels is that the phone goes to the real lock screen (with full, actionable notifications) on wake again. The awful "ambient display" intermediate screen is gone.

Lots of broken apps for me, though, including Firefox Focus.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
OK the navigation in Q Beta 4 is much better. It's also a near iOS clone specifically for when you multitask. The actual multi task interface is still dumb through as it's laughably inefficient. Still prefer my goodlock set up on my S10. The gestures I have set up there are perfection.

The dark mode is very nice I can see it through the Google Photos and Drive apps - do not yet have that option on my S10. I hope Google keeps the options for custom accent colors and icons. That would be great and set a good precedent going forward.

The only thing that's severely missing from a navigation aspect is the ability to pull down the notification shade by swiping down on the home screen. I don't not understand they refuse to add this.

From an interface aspect, Google needs to still do a better job of designing items so they can be reachable at the bottom of the app. For some reason they're all over the place here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Arun knows what's up. Evie Launcher is still top for me, there are a lot of interesting launchers out.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Wear OS watch; got the Fossil Explorist cause it's currently ~$100 off. My only experience with smartwatches at this point has been playing with an Apple Watch for a few minutes at the store, and very briefly owning a Galaxy Watch before returning it due to its pathetic app selection and lack of Google integration.

So this has been my first time with Wear OS, and whoo boy, people really weren't kidding about Wear OS. This watch, which as far as I can tell is one of the better options on the market, completely falls apart if you try to do anything other than glance at it. Updating or downloading new apps? Enjoy waiting ten minutes for it to respond. Changing the watch face? Yeah that's gonna cause a small lockup. Battery life seems pretty poor too, even with NFC and WiFi turned off.

So I don't know at this point. The Galaxy Watch is clearly a much, much better product with good battery life and the kind of performance you'd expect in 2019... or 2009 for that matter. But god, the fact that you have to be fully bought into the Samsung ecosystem of apps and services to get the most out of it sucks. It doesn't need to have the Play Store on it or anything, but not even having Google apps is such a handicap. There just doesn't seem to be any winning if you own an Android phone and want a smart watch right now.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IMO, the benefits of an Android Wear device over something like a Fitbit Charge 3 just aren't substantial, whereas the downsides are significant.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Just got my Xperia 1 and its amazing!
Screen is insane and form factor is great.

Camera is still meh...but not trash.
Viewing angles can be better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Wear OS watch; got the Fossil Explorist cause it's currently ~$100 off. My only experience with smartwatches at this point has been playing with an Apple Watch for a few minutes at the store, and very briefly owning a Galaxy Watch before returning it due to its pathetic app selection and lack of Google integration.

So this has been my first time with Wear OS, and whoo boy, people really weren't kidding about Wear OS. This watch, which as far as I can tell is one of the better options on the market, completely falls apart if you try to do anything other than glance at it. Updating or downloading new apps? Enjoy waiting ten minutes for it to respond. Changing the watch face? Yeah that's gonna cause a small lockup. Battery life seems pretty poor too, even with NFC and WiFi turned off.

So I don't know at this point. The Galaxy Watch is clearly a much, much better product with good battery life and the kind of performance you'd expect in 2019... or 2009 for that matter. But god, the fact that you have to be fully bought into the Samsung ecosystem of apps and services to get the most out of it sucks. It doesn't need to have the Play Store on it or anything, but not even having Google apps is such a handicap. There just doesn't seem to be any winning if you own an Android phone and want a smart watch right now.

My s3 frontier does everything I want it to. And it does plug into Google maps. Can take calls, messages, and Samsung pay is actually a killer app (really only on the frontier as it has the chip that makes it work on old card readers with just swipe/chip). You can put music on it too. It's super nice and I got it on sale for $109.

Fitness stuff works great too.

You don't need any Samsung apps in it other than that.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
My s3 frontier does everything I want it to. And it does plug into Google maps. Can take calls, messages, and Samsung pay is actually a killer app (really only on the frontier as it has the chip that makes it work on old card readers with just swipe/chip). You can put music on it too. It's super nice and I got it on sale for $109.

How's the battery life on your S3? That's a pretty chunky watch, and I have pretty thin wrists. The contactless payment tech in that thing is incredibly slick and it's bizarre they didn't put it in the Galaxy watch.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

I really liked my S3 Classic. Looked great, I loved the watch faces I could get for it (had a TNG Star Trek one that had weather info and stuff like that).

Sadly I didn't end up keeping it because I wanted to use it more as a phone replacement when I worked out, and at least at the time (6-8 months ago) there wasn't a single easy way to get podcasts on it. Only way I could find was to manually transfer it to the watch itself to do it, which took forever to do over bluetooth.

I think I could probably deal with Wear OS's jankiness due to it having a larger app ecosystem and probably has at least ONE decent podcast app.

Oct 25, 2017
So for ppl that bought a phone that came out this year... what ya get. What are the good and bad bits from owning a phone that reviewers didn't mention?

Only new phone I got this year was the op7 pro and the most surprising thing for me is just how reliable and smooth rotating from portrait to landscape is. Feels like every android and ios phone ive owned, there is that hesitation before the phone can decide if it wants to rotate or not. Battery life has also been better than my note 9 which is surprising. Guess the disappointing bit is that the UFS 3.0 storage isn't that noticeable in day to day usage... and i think it might add some loading times to some of the less optimized games i've had compared to my note 9. Also the phone got more screen than my note 9... the lack of a 1 hand mode in oxygenOS is getting more and more annoying.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for ppl that bought a phone that came out this year... what ya get. What are the good and bad bits from owning a phone that reviewers didn't mention?

Only new phone I got this year was the op7 pro and the most surprising thing for me is just how reliable and smooth rotating from portrait to landscape is. Feels like every android and ios phone ive owned, there is that hesitation before the phone can decide if it wants to rotate or not. Battery life has also been better than my note 9 which is surprising. Guess the disappointing bit is that the UFS 3.0 storage isn't that noticeable in day to day usage... and i think it might add some loading times to some of the less optimized games i've had compared to my note 9. Also the phone got more screen than my note 9... the lack of a 1 hand mode in oxygenOS is getting more and more annoying.

Recently I've had the OP 6t, pixel 3a xl, and G8.

6t I'd say was just too big and bulky.

3a xl crapped out on me randomly, wouldn't boot up. Getting it fixed now. Overall I really liked it.

G8 right now I have to decide if I will return it or keep it once I get the pixel back. I'm leaning towards keeping it. The screen speaker tech is actually super cool. Like it's the nicest phone I've actually talked on I think ever. It's like a very surprising feature that's hard to describe. Same size screen as the pixel 3a xl but much smaller form factor. I just put nova prime on it and I'm fine with the UI. Very snappy. It's on April security update which is actually pretty good for LG. That's I guess the only downside is just a bit slower updates. For $420 after a 6s trade in though I'm very impressed with it. It's extremely sleek and well built. Feels like a flagship where the 6t (missing wireless charging and the fp sensor was annoying), and 3a xl (build and specs), don't.

I kinda think I'm gonna sell the 3a xl.

Last edited:

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
This has been bugging me so hopefully someone can help. I've been using Google Pay for a while, I love the convenience and wish I could use it in more locations. Anyways recently when using it with my One Plus 7 Pro, I'm starting to get an issue where it'll ask me for a finger print even though I already face and finger print unlock on. It's just a minor inconvenience that I don't want to deal with because I never had this issue with my Moto Z2 Force for the past year and half.

Funny thing is that this started happening when I required finger print for sending money just to test it. When I remove it, it would work at first but then require it every time after that. Or is it because I'm unlocking my phone with my face rather than my finger? I'm not sure which I've used at the check out line but I know I use face unlock a lot more between the two overall. This is just bugging me because I really love the convenience and don't want to deal with that when unlocking my phone is enough for me.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Had a full 24 hours with the Xperia 1, I must say that its a pretty solid device.
The screen is amazing and probably the best screen out right now along with the op7 pro.
No stupid notch or hole punch! I would take small bezel any day instead of the notch/hole punch. The 21:9 screen is fine, for me I still like the traditional aspect ratio.
The performance is typical Xperia, which is always super fast. Battery is surprisingly decent even with the smallish battery.
Camera is decent now but nothing special.
OS is a very clean pie, very simple and stock like. So far I've gotten every 4k premium device from Sony, I think this is their 2nd best yet....the XZ premium is still my fave.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got an S10e.
Good:
  • Battery life is better than I would have expected for a smaller phone, on par with my previous XS Max.
  • Size is pretty much perfect for me. Small enough to be light and comfortable in my hand and pocket, but a big enough screen to type well and watch videos without holding it closer to my face or squinting.
  • The Camera holepunch is less intrusive than a notch IMO, I don't mind it at all, even in full screen watching videos or playing games. The pre-installed screen protector makes the camera more noticeable since it makes a cutout for it instead of covering it, which lets you feel it and tiny amounts of dust can build up at the edge of the circle. Once I took that off and got a full screen glass protector it was way less noticeable.
  • Something reviews didn't mention is that when using Galaxy Buds with the S10e (or any S10 i think) there's zero audio lag on videos, something I've noticed on nearly all wireless buds I've used.
  • $750 for flagship 2019 specs, great camera (I really like the fisheye camera), headphone jack, and 128gb of internal storage (with SD card slot) is really great. The XS Max was a nice phone, but stupid expensive for only 64gb of storage and no headphone jack.
Bad:
  • There was a weird bug where the "Accidental touch protection" on the S10e's (and other S10's I've heard) screen did't detect if it's in your pocket. The proximity sensor works too, since it'll work when you have a call and it's near or against your face, but in my pocket it would occasionally bring the notification pane down and press some of the buttons like the flashlight or turn on airplane mode. And once it wasn't locked and it browsed though a ton of webpages without me realizing. I haven't had the issue in a long time so it might have been patched in a recent firmware update.
  • I'm not the biggest fan of the side-mounted fingerprint reader. I like it better than the S10's in-screen one, but I still often need to readjust my finger to get it to unlock but it's still better than Face ID was on my XS Max. Thankfully the face unlock is pretty fast so it's a nice backup if my finger isn't registering (faster than the iPhone's, yes I know it's less secure, but it's secure enough for me).
  • Clicking in the power button also doesn't feel the best it barely moves when you click it, sometimes I can't even tell if I've clicked it in or not. I wish it stuck out a little more and felt more like a regular power button.
  • Probably due to the large rectangular camera bump, but when using a case I seem to get a lot more dust and particles in the back of the phone. I took it out after a few weeks and I had two fairly large scratches on the back of the phone. After that I bought a Dbrand skin so it won't happen again.
Been loving the phone so far. First one I've owned in a long time that feels like I wasn't compromising something.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Got an S10e.
Good:
  • Battery life is better than I would have expected for a smaller phone, on par with my previous XS Max.
  • Size is pretty much perfect for me. Small enough to be light and comfortable in my hand and pocket, but a big enough screen to type well and watch videos without holding it closer to my face or squinting.
  • The Camera holepunch is less intrusive than a notch IMO, I don't mind it at all, even in full screen watching videos or playing games. The pre-installed screen protector makes the camera more noticeable since it makes a cutout for it instead of covering it, which lets you feel it and tiny amounts of dust can build up at the edge of the circle. Once I took that off and got a full screen glass protector it was way less noticeable.
  • Something reviews didn't mention is that when using Galaxy Buds with the S10e (or any S10 i think) there's zero audio lag on videos, something I've noticed on nearly all wireless buds I've used.
  • $750 for flagship 2019 specs, great camera (I really like the fisheye camera), headphone jack, and 128gb of internal storage (with SD card slot) is really great. The XS Max was a nice phone, but stupid expensive for only 64gb of storage and no headphone jack.
Bad:
  • There was a weird bug where the "Accidental touch protection" on the S10e's (and other S10's I've heard) screen did't detect if it's in your pocket. The proximity sensor works too, since it'll work when you have a call and it's near or against your face, but in my pocket it would occasionally bring the notification pane down and press some of the buttons like the flashlight or turn on airplane mode. And once it wasn't locked and it browsed though a ton of webpages without me realizing. I haven't had the issue in a long time so it might have been patched in a recent firmware update.
  • I'm not the biggest fan of the side-mounted fingerprint reader. I like it better than the S10's in-screen one, but I still often need to readjust my finger to get it to unlock but it's still better than Face ID was on my XS Max. Thankfully the face unlock is pretty fast so it's a nice backup if my finger isn't registering (faster than the iPhone's, yes I know it's less secure, but it's secure enough for me).
  • Clicking in the power button also doesn't feel the best it barely moves when you click it, sometimes I can't even tell if I've clicked it in or not. I wish it stuck out a little more and felt more like a regular power button.
  • Probably due to the large rectangular camera bump, but when using a case I seem to get a lot more dust and particles in the back of the phone. I took it out after a few weeks and I had two fairly large scratches on the back of the phone. After that I bought a Dbrand skin so it won't happen again.
Been loving the phone so far. First one I've owned in a long time that feels like I wasn't compromising something.
Sounds pretty awesome. I'm sort of considering switching to the S10e. I have a Pixel 3 right now and I'm getting pretty fed up with the shitty battery life and the constant hardware/software issues (at least that's my experience), limited RAM included. Would be nice to get a headphone jack again too..... but not sure yet.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can start claims for the Nexus 6p settlement starting today. I tried to get my chat logs from google support, but without telling them why they just told me straight out that they were unable to provide me my logs because of the settlement. The claim form requests chat logs, so I don't know how they expect people to get them unless you asked specifically for them to be emailed to you when you got your 6p replacement. They even refused to send me a transcript of the log I had with them today.

I submitted my RMA emails and a screenshot of my phone's battery falling to 0% from 40%, so hopefully that's enough. Google refusing to give me details about support chats seems very shady, though. I'm disappointed.

Edit: not to mention, the claim email was mysteriously delivered to my spam directory. Google, come on.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Man, GCam on the S9+ is amazing. It makes some photos amazing even without (or barely any) editing. I also find the Night Sight to be also sometimes better than the one on the Pixel 3 (compared with my friend though not really controlled testing). I guess the f/1.5 aperture on the S9 augments the Night Sight mode

Some photo samples with it:
IMG_20190606_211005-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

IMG_20190606_203200-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2019-05-25 08.11.44 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, the benefits of an Android Wear device over something like a Fitbit Charge 3 just aren't substantial, whereas the downsides are significant.

Yeah, I have two Android Wear watches that I was given as gifts unprompted. I wear the Moto360 when I want to wear something that looks more formal, but day to day I wear my Fibit Versa and love it.

In other news, updating my Pixel 3a to the latest security update that I got a prompt for today. It's certainly taking its sweet old time "optimizing apps", I never had it take this long on my Moto Z Play (which was also EMMC, so I can't imagine it's that).

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I think the reviewers were on point for the most part. I picked up the S10 and everything about it is excellent except the fingerprint scanner can be a little finicky and slow compared to a rear one. I would still take it everyday over the rare because it's just much easier/comfortable to unlock especially when it's laying on a desk.

Design wise the phone is amazing and the hole punch is not noticeable. I don't feel like I'm missing much from a OnePlus 7 design. Performance has been excellent too and I say this as someone who uses the iPad Pro almost every other day.

My main disappointment is that I feel like my S9+ and S7 Edge both had slightly better battery life. It lasts me the entire day easily, but on the really hard days where I'm going on the camera, I definitely have to charge at some point.

For the camera, I honestly think that S10's day light photos are superb most of the time. I don't really have to do much to get a great photo. In night, they are excellent, but I'm not sure if I actually have a night mode up? This would be something I would need to switch to right?

I also picked up the Pixel 3A. It's a great phone on it's own and Android Q is definitely better than P so far in terms phone navigation and features. The phone takes stunning photos, but I haven't felt like it was that much better than the S10. During my travels, I haven't tried to do the whole comparison thing so it's probably just me being clueless about the differences. Not having 4K/60 FPS capabilities really sucks though. The way they come out on my S10 are really good. Performance wise, the 3A has been more than good enough. I'll to decide whether I want to hold on this as a back up phone or sell it for an overall profit. I intend on keeping the S10 for as long as possible, so I'm not sure if it makes sense to keep this

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Probably mentioned already but I just enabled the Android web contents dark mode in chrome://flags and I really like the output. I haven't really found a downside to this yet. I actually like it's implementation to Era than the embedded dark theme to be honest:

bKU5i5z.jpg

Edit: Some quirks already found. Some gifs and pictures are inverted but not all... Strange.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Man, GCam on the S9+ is amazing. It makes some photos amazing even without (or barely any) editing. I also find the Night Sight to be also sometimes better than the one on the Pixel 3 (compared with my friend though not really controlled testing). I guess the f/1.5 aperture on the S9 augments the Night Sight mode

Some photo samples with it:
IMG_20190606_211005-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

IMG_20190606_203200-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2019-05-25 08.11.44 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr
Any directions for this? I can't get it to work on the note 9. I follow the steps on the reddit post and make the changes, yet all of my low light photos are horrendous and have a red tint.