• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Bah, no 256GB model for the Xiaomi 9T, which is the Redmi K20 in China. It really sucks that they are so intent on regional differences, the K20 series and especially the pro could have been something magical for the sub 500€ category.

Oct 25, 2017
Google is actually real good at making an uglier iPhone knockoff for years. It's fascinating.

Everyone else copies apple, but do their best to do one better, Google seems fine at not giving a shit about that.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Nova launcher still trash at animations? That's literally the one thing that they have a massive opportunity to improve on. Yet I never see anyone criticize how bad they are at this

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Nova launcher still trash at animations? That's literally the one thing that they have a massive opportunity to improve on. Yet I never see anyone criticize how bad they are at this
Maybe animations cause more lag or something? I got onto Nova with me S10e because even the launchers that are supposed to be great felt slightly less responsive to Nova.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Android Q is great and all on Pixel, but I desperately need a swipe down to toggle notifications option. I hate having to reach to the back of the finger print sensor just to do that. They way I hold my phone, it just doesn't feel naturally. This is one of the reasons why I still strongly prefer to use the S10. One UI also makes the difference much more drastic.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Anybody in here play around with Google Home devices? I don't see a dedicated thread about that.

I'm wondering how to get my Home to use my Android TV's apps instead of casting everything to the TV. When I try to use Netflix or Hulu, it tries to get me to sign in again even though I'm signed in on the TV, it casts Google Music instead of using the TV's app, etc.

The Google Home support page suggests Google Home is built entirely around casting:

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody in here play around with Google Home devices? I don't see a dedicated thread about that.

I'm wondering how to get my Home to use my Android TV's apps instead of casting everything to the TV. When I try to use Netflix or Hulu, it tries to get me to sign in again even though I'm signed in on the TV, it casts Google Music instead of using the TV's app, etc.

The Google Home support page suggests Google Home is built entirely around casting:

AFAIK, Google Home can only cast, not control Android/AndroidTV apps.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
My son asked me for a new phone for his birthday (he'll be 11 years in July). Right now he has a hand me down Galaxy J7 2016 edition. Budget is 250 maximum and I'm thinking about getting him a Samsung A20, which is on budget. Any ideas about a better phone for the price or is that phone the best one I can score for the price?

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
I recently upgraded from a galaxy s7 to an s10e and I am a happy camper. The fingerprint scanner on the power button is my favorite feature.

I also enjoy the size, the other models are way too damned big.

Oct 25, 2017
My son asked me for a new phone for his birthday (he'll be 11 years in July). Right now he has a hand me down Galaxy J7 2016 edition. Budget is 250 maximum and I'm thinking about getting him a Samsung A20, which is on budget. Any ideas about a better phone for the price or is that phone the best one I can score for the price?

if you are outside of the US, look into xiaomi. Way better specs for that price range.

Or if you are cool dad, find a cheap Essential Phone haha

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Recently I've had the OP 6t, pixel 3a xl, and G8.

6t I'd say was just too big and bulky.

3a xl crapped out on me randomly, wouldn't boot up. Getting it fixed now. Overall I really liked it.

G8 right now I have to decide if I will return it or keep it once I get the pixel back. I'm leaning towards keeping it. The screen speaker tech is actually super cool. Like it's the nicest phone I've actually talked on I think ever. It's like a very surprising feature that's hard to describe. Same size screen as the pixel 3a xl but much smaller form factor. I just put nova prime on it and I'm fine with the UI. Very snappy. It's on April security update which is actually pretty good for LG. That's I guess the only downside is just a bit slower updates. For $420 after a 6s trade in though I'm very impressed with it. It's extremely sleek and well built. Feels like a flagship where the 6t (missing wireless charging and the fp sensor was annoying), and 3a xl (build and specs), don't.

I kinda think I'm gonna sell the 3a xl.

One thing I will add about the LG G8. Buying a case or skin with some grip on it is an absolute must. The G8 is the slipperiest phone in the history of human existence.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a software update for my S10e here in Australia. Only about a month after it landed for everyone else!

Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
This is my first Android phone :(

And it came out ages ago in other regions, just that Australia got screwed :/

Staggered releases are a thing on Android. In Samsung's case, staggering means waiting months on updates if you happen to be in the wrong region. Sometimes you can install a different regions manually, if you don't wish to wait.

Don't expect Apple type of releases though, where everyone and every device gets updated when a new Android version is out.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, you can just turn off animations completely under accessibility options. Pie feels so much faster that way, I especially hated the lockscreen animations for my podcast app. It's just like a second, but it shouldn't exist at all.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, you can just turn off animations completely under accessibility options. Pie feels so much faster that way, I especially hated the lockscreen animations for my podcast app. It's just like a second, but it shouldn't exist at all.
Yeah I love how much you can customize android. You can also adjust the animation/transition durations under dev options.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
https://mobile.slashdot.org/story/1...old-is-now-ready-for-launch-company-exec-says

Samsung Galaxy Fold is Now Ready For Launch, Company Exec Says (theinvestor.co.kr)
Posted by msmash on Thursday June 20, 2019 @06:01PM from the not-dead-after-all dept.

Samsung Electronics' first foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Fold, will launch soon, as "most" issues linked to the screen have been solved, a Samsung Display executive has revealed. From a report:"Most of the display problems have been ironed out, and the Galaxy Fold is ready to hit the market," said Samsung Display Vice President Kim Seong-cheol in his speech at a conference held by industry organization The Korean Information Display Society on June 18 in Seoul. Samsung Display, a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics, is the main supplier of the folding screen. The Fold was initially scheduled to hit the shelves in April in the US and in May in Korea, but the launch has been delayed after reviewers complained of flickering screens and creases in the middle of the screen made after repeated folds.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
When I pause my web and app activity under "My Activity" it renders my Insignia Bluetooth speaker useless.

Under the My Activity page, it shows the following note:

"Your Web & App Activity includes the things you do on Google services, like Maps, Search, and Play. It can also include things you do on sites, apps, and devices that use Google services. The activity you keep is used to give you more personalized experiences, like faster searches and more helpful app and content recommendations."

All asked the device to do is set an alarm for a certain time. It's response is that I need to go settings and change them in order to be able to do this.

What the fuck is this shit Google?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
When I pause my web and app activity under "My Activity" it renders my Insignia Bluetooth speaker useless.

Under the My Activity page, it shows the following note:

"Your Web & App Activity includes the things you do on Google services, like Maps, Search, and Play. It can also include things you do on sites, apps, and devices that use Google services. The activity you keep is used to give you more personalized experiences, like faster searches and more helpful app and content recommendations."

All asked the device to do is set an alarm for a certain time. It's response is that I need to go settings and change them in order to be able to do this.

What the fuck is this shit Google?
Ad with soothing voice: "Google wants to always be there, next to you. From when you wake up, to when you get ready to sleep. Getting ready to leave home? Google knows. Having kinky sex with the wife in the bedroom? Google can give you ads based on your performance. We are there for you. Google."

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I got some 25 euro discount codes for the Pixel 3a and 3a XL. I assume it only works in European Google Stores. If anyone needs one, PM me. Valid till 3rd of July.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

This doesn't speed things up though. does it? I've tried it on my 6T and thought that it's just my mind playing tricks.

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely speeds up a few small things. Like I said, this lockscreen fade-in animation for my podcast app is completely being skipped now. Might be less than a second, but it's gone. Even unlocking has a small fade animation that is gone. But it's all small stuff. Sems4arsenal

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
It definitely speeds up a few small things. Like I said, this lockscreen fade-in animation for my podcast app is completely being skipped now. Might be less than a second, but it's gone. Even unlocking has a small fade animation that is gone. But it's all small stuff. Sems4arsenal

I have it at 0.5 but still feel a middle ground between it and 1 would be perfect.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Looks like Google is making some more policy changes and may break the email app Nine on the 15th of July. I got this email today,

Google said:
Although you don't need to do anything, we wanted to let you know that the following apps may no longer be able to access some data in your Google Account, including your Gmail content. If these apps are unable to meet the deadline to comply with our updated data policy requirements, they'll lose access to your Account starting July 15th, 2019.

Nine

We are making this change as part of ongoing efforts to make sure your data is protected and private.

You can always view, manage and remove apps you've given access to your account by visiting your Google Account.

Thanks,
The Google Accounts team

Does anyone know anything about it?