• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Google is making some more policy changes and may break the email app Nine on the 15th of July. I got this email today,

Does anyone know anything about it?

Google is requiring that a number of apps be updated to comply with data protection/management requirements.

The Nine devs will probably make the necessary changes before the cutoff date (assuming that the product is still under active development -- I don't know much about Nine).

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Google is requiring that a number of apps be updated to comply with data protection/management requirements.

The Nine devs will probably make the necessary changes before the cutoff date (assuming that the product is still under active development -- I don't know much about Nine).

It's still being updated, they released a new version on the 12th.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

IQ is gonna take a hit in the first few years, but its finally happening. Under Display cameras are gonna be a game changer, and possibly let companies finally focus on other areas of import when it comes to phones.

In other news, I hate how Xiaomi handled the international launch of the K20 series. The base model with a SD730 goes for as much as a Mi 9, which has flagship level specs and double the internal storage, which is very important considering the lack of an SD card slot. Not even the headphone jack in the K20 is noteworthy in this case for me to even give it a glance. Damn shame too, cause if they launched both models at the same time and made the flagship tier K20 Pro sell at the same price as the Mi 9 they would have had a hit on their hands.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
How's using a Nexus 7 (2012) nowadays? Thinking of reviving mine with a custom ROM for casual media stuff but last time I used it, it was unbearably slow. Will the custom ROM save it somehow?

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Xiaomi unvealed the Xiaomi CC9 earlier today in China.

It's an upgraded version of the Mi 9 with new color schemes, a headphone jack and a bigger battery. It comes with a Snapdragon 710 chipset and still has NFC.

CC is their new series targeting young people. It's essentially their answer to Realme. They also announced the Xiaomi CC9e and a special version with Meitu.

Xiaomi CC9 is rumored to be sold as the Mi A3 outside China.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Xiaomi unvealed the Xiaomi CC9 earlier today in China.

It's an upgraded version of the Mi 9 with new color schemes, a headphone jack and a bigger battery. It comes with a Snapdragon 710 chipset and still has NFC.

CC is their new series targeting young people. It's essentially their answer to Realme. They also announced the Xiaomi CC9e and a special version with Meitu.

Xiaomi CC9 is rumored to be sold as the Mi A3 outside China.

The CC9 is finally the sweet spot phone I have been looking for this whole time.
SD710
3.5mm Jack
Metal+Glass Build no Plastic
Micro SD
NFC

There are little to no compromises for me, unlike the K20 and other OEMs midrangers. I have been posting other midrangers throughout the year as potential buys, but this is finally the phone I can say is a 100% buy, even at 300. If it launches as their Android One phone of the year, even better.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
The CC9 is finally the sweet spot phone I have been looking for this whole time.
SD710
3.5mm Jack
Metal+Glass Build no Plastic
Micro SD
NFC

There are little to no compromises for me, unlike the K20 and other OEMs midrangers. I have been posting other midrangers throughout the year as potential buys, but this is finally the phone I can say is a 100% buy, even at 300. If it launches as their Android One phone of the year, even better.

And what are the K20 compromises?, because I find it better than the new CC9 in most of the aspects except the Micro SD card

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I dropped my S8 and it bounced off the carpet and the screen hit something sharp and cracked :( Now 75% of the screen isn't working =/

Looks like there is a place nearby that can do screen replacements while you wait

I'd buy a new phone but there are no good promos on right now for the s10 (there was a really good one a couple months ago, if that price was available now I'd be all over it)

Is there anything I can do to check if more than just the screen is damaged? Touch controls seem to still be working

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
And what are the K20 compromises?, because I find it better than the new CC9 in most of the aspects except the Micro SD card
For me its exactly that. A missing jack here, no expandable storage there, it matters to me. That one feature is exactly what separates a buy from a no buy. Otherwise yeah its a great phone, but its lacking that one feature. And the fact that its priced exactly the same as the Mi9 over here, where the CC9 will likely come at 280-330€, which is a far more fair price.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest compromise I find is always the NFC chip. I do a lot of mobile payments (especially in summer when my wallet is usually in my backpack) and the combination of NFC + SD600 or SD700 + 35mm jack + >3800mAh battery + Android One is really hard to find, with NFC almost always being the odd one out. I had to settle with a Nokia 7+ last year even if I didn't like the fuckhuge screen and outrageous price tag, and if the 9CC ends up being the A3, that's great news.

DrAg0nBoY

Oct 28, 2017
I am looking for a new phone. Wanted to buy a one plus 7 pro but I don't have the money at the moment. So I was thinking about buying a phone and pay per month for it.

So I am thinking either a Samsung S10+ or Google Pixel 3XL. Both cost almost the same here so I don't know which one to pick.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The biggest compromise I find is always the NFC chip. I do a lot of mobile payments (especially in summer when my wallet is usually in my backpack) and the combination of NFC + SD600 or SD700 + 35mm jack + >3800mAh battery + Android One is really hard to find, with NFC almost always being the odd one out. I had to settle with a Nokia 7+ last year even if I didn't like the fuckhuge screen and outrageous price tag, and if the 9CC ends up being the A3, that's great news.
NFC is definitely not commonplace in the lower end, I think only Samsung and Huawei implement it. Xiaomi releasing a fully fledged A3 when last years model skipped both the jack AND the micro SD card would definitely be a great thing, we are talking proper competition to the Nokia Effort which hasn't seen an upper midranger in months now.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
What I find super ridiculous is that the more you approach the 1000€ price tag, the more compromises you find. Suddenly, getting the "premium experience" has you compromising in sub-par battery life (anything under 3400 will barely give you a single, non-intensive, day on SD8xx), no 3.5mm jack, no expandable memory, no dual SIM... while a midranger will more often than not just compromise in NFC for the lower end and that's all (besides top-end gaming performance, but you know that's what you get with a midrange SoC) and give you everything else.

Seriously, I just cannot live with under 7-8 hours SOT anymore. Picking up your phone before leaving your house at 60% and knowing it will last the whole day and that you won't be panicking for a charger or a wall outlet in less than 3-4 hours is awesome.

I mean, the 15% "low battery" warning in my phone means it will last the whole 30-45 minutes commute back home on social media and Spotify, while in most other phones it means "plug me immediately or I will die in the next 15 minutes even if left untouched"

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The midrange is starting to become problematic in this department too. Motorola is all but running on fumes, Lenovo ditched the west while in China its still offering some serious value for money, Xiaomi is offering great phones but beyond the Redmi Note 7 their western offerings are lacking, and Huawei has taken a nosedive for me. Samsung is still Samsung, and ridiculously so. They consolidated into the M and A series for the midrange, but the M series is reaching Galaxy Core levels of mediocre, and the A series is segmenting features left and right with far too many variations, while being overpriced. I may be too nitpicky and expecting too much, but compared to 2016 and 2017 which had Huawei and Xiaomi firing on all cylinders with Motorola and Lenovo also making great strides for Value for Money and even 2018 which had some excellent surprises and a great start with Nokia, 2019 is very problematic. I mean it when I say that the Mi CC9 potentially being the A3 in the west is my best possible option for an upgrade and likely the only phone I will consider for the rest of the year.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
For me its exactly that. A missing jack here, no expandable storage there, it matters to me. That one feature is exactly what separates a buy from a no buy. Otherwise yeah its a great phone, but its lacking that one feature. And the fact that its priced exactly the same as the Mi9 over here, where the CC9 will likely come at 280-330€, which is a far more fair price.

Xiaomi k20/9T has 3,5 jack. It only lacks expandable storage and the price is 330€ too.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Xiaomi k20/9T has 3,5 jack. It only lacks expandable storage and the price is 330€ too.
Base model is sols for 30€ more than the Mi 9 over here, which is 70€ more than the price you mention. And expandable storage is far too important for me which is I mentioned it, I am one of the weirdos with 40GB of personal cd rips carried around all day long.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell is Android Bluetooth still a POS?!?!

To this day I still can't reliably automatically connect to the two bluetooth devices I need to in my car (I have one that needs to be connected for phone calls and another for media audio, music, etc.). I can't do it all with stock, but I used to be able to kind of work around this using the app "Bluetooth Auto Connect" but that's slowly gotten less reliable and seems at its worse with Pie so I don't even bother anymore.

Is there some reason they won't implement this? Anyone know of another work around to get this to happen?

Bluetooth on Android is always frequently a PITA with my fitbit watch too.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never had those issues on my Nexus 6P or Razer Phone 2 either. Constantly using my watch Nd headphones at the same time.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I am looking for a new phone. Wanted to buy a one plus 7 pro but I don't have the money at the moment. So I was thinking about buying a phone and pay per month for it.

So I am thinking either a Samsung S10+ or Google Pixel 3XL. Both cost almost the same here so I don't know which one to pick.
You can buy the 1+7pro and pay per month directly from oneplus themselves. Go to their website and see the details.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
The new Sony truely wireless earbuds WF-1000XM3 seems pretty good. 6 hrs with ANC on and 8 hrs with it off. Each buds connects directly to the device.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The Mi 9T seems like a good phone. It checks most of the boxes regarding what I want in a phone. AMOLED+no notch+decent battery and under $400 is really appealing. I've been eyeing the Zenfone 6 as well, which has a ton of great qualities but the mediocre display is kind of a dealbreaker.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Never had those issues on my Nexus 6P or Razer Phone 2 either. Constantly using my watch Nd headphones at the same time.

I don't have any problems with my actual Google Wear watch oddly enough, it can pair fine in conjunction with audio. Seems to only be an issue with having more than one device using audio of any kind.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
Though they do say they have improved latency. Will have to see from reviews.

Coupled with the new optimized antenna structure, this results in a highly stable connection, so nothing gets in between listeners and their music. Additionally, latency improvement means consumers can immerse themselves in the latest films on a paired device.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
time to go back to regular notches.
D-8ySwTWwAYSU73

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

We all knew, but it's nice to see official pics

Edit: Design cues from Huawei? Imagine that

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Hello, im looking for a used old flagship phone under $200. I keep hearing the LG v30+ is the best used premium phone on the market for the money. Should i buy a used lg v30+ or get a brand new budget phone released in 2019?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello, im looking for a used old flagship phone under $200. I keep hearing the LG v30+ is the best used premium phone on the market for the money. Should i buy a used lg v30+ or get a brand new budget phone released in 2019?

Depends on how you value performance (and camera) against updated software (and warranty/battery lifetime).

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can get a used Pixel 2 around $200. That's probably the way to go.