• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I received a Blackberry Key2 LE for work and.... I actually like it?

For one, the battery life is great, the overall performance is good, the keyboard feels good especially when typing emails, and the phone feels overall premium and very business-like. Not sure I'd ever get it as my personal phone because I prefer full screen phones and on-screen keyboards for texting and whatnot, but for a work phone it's perfect. The camera is balls but don't need a good camera on my work phone.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I commend them for not trying to hide that cutout, but boy does it just ruin the entire phone for me. It's like having a big red popping pimple right on the tip of your nose.
They might as well just have the notch/divot if it's going to be that obvious. At least with the S10 series it's kind of out of the way.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
There are 250 euros discount on the Pixel 3 and 3XL on the Google Store (in Spain, at least). 599 and 699 are the current starting prices.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
have no idea what to use this $100 Google store credit for. I have no interest in anything in there (Google WiFi seems like it would be a small upgrade from my current router, but I don't know if I want Google to be managing this). What's the easiest item that's under $100 to just buy and resell? Lol..

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think the off-center cutouts in the S10's are WAY better than the centered cutout in the Note 10.

It may be more symmetric, but when watching videos full screen it puts the cutout in a much more noticeable position IMO.

I really like my S10e's camera position since it's just tucked away in the corner, and area where pretty much nothing important is placed.
have no idea what to use this $100 Google store credit for. I have no interest in anything in there (Google WiFi seems like it would be a small upgrade from my current router, but I don't know if I want Google to be managing this). What's the easiest item that's under $100 to just buy and resell? Lol..
Do you like digital movies? If you sync your Google Play account with Movies Anywhere you can buy a lot of movies (just check if they're Movies Anywhere before buying) and have them sync between Google Play, Vudu, Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Otherwise, you might be able to buy a Chromecast with that credit and sell it, not totally sure but might be worth looking into.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also done with phones for now, my Note 9 is fine except for the camera and I don't wanna lose the headphone jack or the S Pen

I don't like the cutouts. Cutouts and notches are dumb shit.

I was watching Xperia 1 review ... I hope that the next itineration will have a better battery and ergonomic

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So the rumor mill is churning out fresh Mi A3 info and apparently it'll be based on the Mi CC9e, not the CC9. Which is dissapointing because that's barely an upgrade over the Mi A2, other than the AMOLED display.

If that's the case that pretty much settles it for me, and I'll be getting the Mi 9T. That notchless display is just to tempting to pass up. Hopefully Amazon Mexico will have a sweet deal on Prime day.

I'm also done with phones for now, my Note 9 is fine except for the camera and I don't wanna lose the headphone jack or the S Pen

I don't like the cutouts. Cutouts and notches are dumb shit.

I detest notches and the like. It's the worst trend in smartphones, ever, probably. Unbelievable that $1000+ flagships like the Note and iPhone still feature such abominations in 2019 while >$500 Xiaomi and Asus phones don't.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to the Note 10 as an alternative to the Fold if it had a headphone jack.

Yeah, gonna ride this S8+ until either the Fold comes out, or I get a good deal on the S10+ 12GB RAM/1TB.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to the Note 10 as an alternative to the Fold if it had a headphone jack.

Yeah, gonna ride this S8+ until either the Fold comes out, or I get a good deal on the S10+ 12GB RAM/1TB.

Ayye me tooo lol the other day my S8+ power button just broke off. God it took me some strength to not just get a new phone lol. Turning off my screen through shortcuts is annoying af.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
So my honor 7x is pretty much dying. I don't have the money to buy a brand new one right now. I was thinking about getting a used Pixel 2. I was wondering how those were holding up.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
To be perfectly honest even if its a SD665, the A3 is more than enough for my needs. 200€ for an Oled display, 3.5mm jack, NFC, MIcro SD, a capable triple camera and a proper glass and metap build is great. It also has the smaller bezels and FHD+ display of the CC9 and not the CC9e. And it comes with Android One, its really all I need and want.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
My pixel 2 seems to be bootlooping randomly whilst on Bluetooth and the battery fluctuates from 80% to ~25% then back to 50% etc. Is this a known issue?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

On one hand 250 for a SD665 processor is stupid. On the other hand, its a proper metal and glass build, with an oled screen and UD FPR, 3.5MM Jack and Micro SD, NFC and an Infrared Blaster, and that sweet sweet triple camera, all wrapped up in Android One. Its a full package with an underperforming processor, and I don't mind it at all, definitely gonna be next phone.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Mi A3 is a bit underwhelming; Snapdragon 665, 720p+ OLED screen and no NFC.

Makes you wonder what their plans are for the CC9. Could we see a Mi A3 Pro later this year? Mi 9T Pro (aka Redmi K20 Pro) is getting an EU release next month. Yearly refresh of the Nokia phones is also coming up. Lots of models on clearance it seems.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It's kinda odd they'd give the MI A3 a 720p display. I guess it was the tradeoff they had to do to keep the AMOLED and the low price, but a 720p, 6" AMOLED can't be pretty given the smaller number of subpixels. It's a bit baffling.

In many ways it's actually a downgrade from the MI A2. Its saving grace will be the battery I guess.

If they released the Mi 9T with Android One and called that the Mi A3 Pro, that'd be perfection.gif. Even with MIUI the 9T is probably Xiaomi's most interesting device.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, it looks like Xiaomi cannot be arsed to have NFC in anything but their higher end handsets which are locked to MIUI and all have a very sub-par battery capacity. Let's hope my Nokia 7 Plus works for another extra year or so...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Mi A3 is a bit underwhelming; Snapdragon 665, 720p+ OLED screen and no NFC.

Makes you wonder what their plans are for the CC9. Could we see a Mi A3 Pro later this year? Mi 9T Pro (aka Redmi K20 Pro) is getting an EU release next month. Yearly refresh of the Nokia phones is also coming up. Lots of models on clearance it seems.
Nokia right now have 2 maybe 3 phones coming up, and 2 of em are 99% 300+€ phones with an SD660. Unless a miracle happens the phones are dead on arrival.
It's kinda odd they'd give the MI A3 a 720p display. I guess it was the tradeoff they had to do to keep the AMOLED and the low price, but a 720p, 6" AMOLED can't be pretty given the smaller number of subpixels. It's a bit baffling.

In many ways it's actually a downgrade from the MI A2. Its saving grace will be the battery I guess.

If they released the Mi 9T with Android One and called that the Mi A3 Pro, that'd be perfection.gif. Even with MIUI the 9T is probably Xiaomi's most interesting device.
CC9 is far more interesting despite the Sd710, that is the device they should have gone with. FHD+ OLED/UDFPR, NFC, 3.5mm Jack, Micro SD, same cameras as the K20 Pro, better selfie cam, they threw everything and the kitchen sink into that phone. If they don't bring it over theu would be idiots. I have championed a lot of midrangers including the K20 series and so far I have been wrong about every fucking single one of the phones, but I feel it, the CC9 is finally gonna pull through for me. It has to pull through.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
is there something built into Android where you can put text on a photo? I know there's Markup where you could draw text with your finger but would prefer something easier. On a Pixel.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
How can I analyse what is going on with my battery life? All my pixel 2 is telling me is everything is running normal in the background. There's no breakdown.

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the rumour I read before about the pixel 4 having only 6gb of ram aren't true. Having 4GB on my 2XL has never caused actual problems for me, but a late 2019 phone shouldn't be launching with only 6GB.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the rumour I read before about the pixel 4 having only 6gb of ram aren't true. Having 4GB on my 2XL has never caused actual problems for me, but a late 2019 phone shouldn't be launching with only 6GB.
I have occasional issues with ram with my pixel 3 (4GB). I'm guessing 6GB would be enough based on how infrequent the issues are, but yeah, 8GB+ would be great.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Can someone point me to a PC app that can extract Android stuff like message and pics to the PC so I can load them to a new Android phone?

I'm trying to help my dad and got him a brand new phone because his old one was so busted as the internal keyboard and wifi don't work so I can't download any transfer apps, or update passwords so I can run online backups. I have it connected to a PC now and it seems I can browse the internal files for pictures, but am unsure about messages.

Thanks if any can help!

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Anybody in here play around with Google Home devices? I don't see a dedicated thread about that.

I'm wondering how to get my Home to use my Android TV's apps instead of casting everything to the TV. When I try to use Netflix or Hulu, it tries to get me to sign in again even though I'm signed in on the TV, it casts Google Music instead of using the TV's app, etc.

The Google Home support page suggests Google Home is built entirely around casting:

AFAIK, Google Home can only cast, not control Android/AndroidTV apps.
I know I made this post a while ago, but it seems that since my TV (Sony X900F) updated to Android 8.0, it now opens Netflix via the app on the TV even when using Google Home.

My SO asked our Google Home Mini to start something on Netflix on the TV, and instead of it asking me to log into Netflix so it could cast like it usually does, it started right up. I got really excited and checked the TV to make sure it was actually the app lol.

Though I don't know if this is because my TV got an update, or because they've updated Google Home server-side. Maybe Google Home only supports Android TV 7.0 through casting, and a lot of TVs are on old firmware? I also noticed that it started referring to my TV by its nickname 100% of the time instead of reading out "XBR55X900F" 90% of the time like it did before.

All I know is I'm happy that the tiny quirks of Google Home integration are being worked out.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
I know I made this post a while ago, but it seems that since my TV (Sony X900F) updated to Android 8.0, it now opens Netflix via the app on the TV even when using Google Home.

My SO asked our Google Home Mini to start something on Netflix on the TV, and instead of it asking me to log into Netflix so it could cast like it usually does, it started right up. I got really excited and checked the TV to make sure it was actually the app lol.

Though I don't know if this is because my TV got an update, or because they've updated Google Home server-side. Maybe Google Home only supports Android TV 7.0 through casting, and a lot of TVs are on old firmware? I also noticed that it started referring to my TV by its nickname 100% of the time instead of reading out "XBR55X900F" 90% of the time like it did before.

All I know is I'm happy that the tiny quirks of Google Home integration are being worked out.
The was a recent update on Sony Android tv. not sure if it rolled out to your TV yet

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted for the ROG Phone 2.

If AT&T weren't such cunts and allowed unlocked phones to have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling, I'd have jumped on it. I need Wi-Fi calling for travel.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted for the ROG Phone 2.

If AT&T weren't such cunts and allowed unlocked phones to have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling, I'd have jumped on it. I need Wi-Fi calling for travel.

We just gotta keep hope that the galaxy fold is gonna have a fucking release date soon lol. The rog phone got me tempted but damn I've waited this long, I can keep going.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Huawei is in a bit of a rough spot to recommend purchasing their products, but I'll be damned if this isn't worth looking into:
Base model should start around 220-250€, which is a great price for what's being offered. And like all Honor XX phones, it will drpp below 200€ within 4 months, creating even further value. Not to mention the Kirin 810 is putting in some crazy numbers compared to the SD730:

This is the first time since what, the Honor 5C or I think the 6X where they are gunning for absolute value for money? God I miss those days, and I am so glad they are going back to that. And again, price will likely remain relatively low as to not compete with the Nova Line. Was not expecting this outcome at all, very happy overall.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
"Dear neoak,

At Samsung, we remain focused on pioneering the next generation of mobile innovation: new products and technologies that push the entire industry forward and help users like you do what they cant.

Back in May we reached out to you with an update on your Galaxy Fold order and the progress we were making with enhancements to your new device. Now, we're excited to share more details about the optimizations we've made to ensure your new Galaxy Fold meets the high standards you expect, and when you can expect to receive it.

We've taken the time to fully evaluate the product design, make necessary improvements, and run rigorous tests to validate the changes we made. For more information about these design and construction improvements, please read our blog post on the Samsung Newsroom.

Right now we're in the process of conducting final product tests on these improvements, to begin shipping Galaxy Fold in September. As we get closer to the launch, we will send you a firm ship-by date for your order.

Galaxy Fold is a device long in the making and we're so grateful for the support and patience we've received from Galaxy fans like you all over the world. We can't wait to deliver it to you soon and share it with everyone.

Thank you for your continued loyalty—we couldn't do any of this without you.

With appreciation,
The Samsung Leadership Team"

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
"Dear neoak,

At Samsung, we remain focused on pioneering the next generation of mobile innovation: new products and technologies that push the entire industry forward and help users like you do what they cant.

Back in May we reached out to you with an update on your Galaxy Fold order and the progress we were making with enhancements to your new device. Now, we're excited to share more details about the optimizations we've made to ensure your new Galaxy Fold meets the high standards you expect, and when you can expect to receive it.

We've taken the time to fully evaluate the product design, make necessary improvements, and run rigorous tests to validate the changes we made. For more information about these design and construction improvements, please read our blog post on the Samsung Newsroom.

Right now we're in the process of conducting final product tests on these improvements, to begin shipping Galaxy Fold in September. As we get closer to the launch, we will send you a firm ship-by date for your order.

Galaxy Fold is a device long in the making and we're so grateful for the support and patience we've received from Galaxy fans like you all over the world. We can't wait to deliver it to you soon and share it with everyone.

Thank you for your continued loyalty—we couldn't do any of this without you.

With appreciation,
The Samsung Leadership Team"

Yooo finally, AT&T canceled my fucking preorder, when can I preorder again for this lol

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Or just buy a fancy Note 10 and an iPad Pro or Galaxy Tab or Surface.

I fear that even if this phone is durable, it's never going to be a great experience.

On the other hand, I'm glad someone is taking that bullet for all of us to get some first hand insights.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm still upset that the Mi A3 ended up with a 720p display, which I simply cannot wrap my head around.

Yeah, give it a glass back (which 99% of users will cover up with a $2 case anyway) for that premium feel at the expense of arguably the most important part of a phone. The finger print reader under the display is nice, but it solves a non-existent problem; the Mi A2 had the reader on the back so it doesn't make a difference on bezel size.

Hopefully the custom ROM scene for the Mi 9T will have somewhat matured by December.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I might pick one up if amazon has them, due to their simple return process.

but the timing is unfortunate, note 10+ got all the hardware upgrades for half the price, and I bet the fold 2 is still scheduled for next april...

idk, hope we get demo units at like best buy or something.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I might pick one up if amazon has them, due to their simple return process.

but the timing is unfortunate, note 10+ got all the hardware upgrades for half the price, and I bet the fold 2 is still scheduled for next april...

idk, hope we get demo units at like best buy or something.
Note 10? Without 3.5mm?

giphy.gif