• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Using cabled headphones in 2019 🤭
Some of want sound quality while not spending as much or more as what we spent for the cellphone we use. I've tried 50€ bluetooth earbuds and those things are nowhere near my Xiaomi budget earbuds in SQ.

On another note, I made an impulse buy, sorta. I was gonna wait for the reviews of the Honor 9X and see if its the budget phone of the year, but I bit another bullet. AliExpress has an amazing deal for the Lenovo Z6 Lite, and I bought one. For 145€ its a damn steal, you won't see that price for SD710 phones till late next year if ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah going to a oneplus 7 pro, the headphone jack situation isn't something that bothers me until a situation in which it does bother me.

The rare scenario where I need a jack, I can almost always never find a dongle. And I've had a few at home and the office.

Bluetooth still sucks with multiple devices too. Some can handle 2, but none can do 3.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried to hold out for the Pixel XL 4, but my original Pixel 1 XL's battery was so shot that I couldn't take it anymore. Less than an hour of use on battery saver would drop it to 20%, and it would die at 20% not even making it down to 0.

So got myself a heavily discounted Pixel 3 XL. Feels good to be able to use a phone again without having to be attached to a charger.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
LG's already done this shit before, and nobody gave a shit. It's like Google watched that "Face ID" iPhone XR commercial with the guy in the reclining chair and thought "Hey what if we make it so he can do everything in his chair."

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Where can i get good Pixel cases? For the first model. I have 2 official cases, one transparent (slippery...) and one blue (looks nice, more of a "sticky" feeling). In Amazon (Spain) I only found the transparent one (that sucks). Any brands I should look for? Will check other Amazon stores as well.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I'm trying to figure out a use case where motion gestures might be useful. Maybe hands-free in the car? But at that point, voice control accomplishes the same thing without you having to move your hands from the steering wheel so maybe not that either.

Accessibility options?

Maybe some stuff that OnePlus does on a turned off screen (draw a V for flashliht, an S or an O, for specific apps, or a pause or arrow sign for music control?), but then why make it weird by doing air gestures rather than just the on-screen gestures?

Maybe it'll be some great implementation that's the next big thing, but on first glance, it sounds extremely gimmicky for a mobile phone.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I'm trying to figure out a use case where motion gestures might be useful. Maybe hands-free in the car? But at that point, voice control accomplishes the same thing without you having to move your hands from the steering wheel so maybe not that either.

Accessibility options?

Maybe some stuff that OnePlus does on a turned off screen (draw a V for flashliht, an S or an O, for specific apps, or a pause or arrow sign for music control?), but then why make it weird by doing air gestures rather than just the on-screen gestures?

Maybe it'll be some great implementation that's the next big thing, but on first glance, it sounds extremely gimmicky for a mobile phone.
At work, phone is on the table facing up, you want to skip a song... Hand gesture over it. Can't think of anything else though, and I also expect lots of activations at the wrong times. But I guess the one thing that matters from the ad is the Google take on FaceID.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

Accessibility options?

For me it would be a God send. I drive a vehicle for a living and it would be awesome to be able to do hand gestures to control my phone while on road.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the new Android Auto interface for the car to start working by doing the following. I downloaded it from here just to make sure I was up to the latest version. if you don't trust that just wait till it updates through the play store. Next you go to settings>apps>Android auto> clear cache and storage and then force quit the app. After that scroll down to advance and choose additional settings in the app and first one should be Try the new Android auto.

AgPbM2N_d.jpg

Last edited:

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
S10E or Pixel 3a? I can get both for roughly the same price. Looking for something cheap with a good camera to hold me over a bit.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Really Samsung? Taking away the headphone jack from the Tab S6? Even Apple has it on iPads.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
NVidia Shield TV just took an update to Pie. Must be one of the oldest Android devices still getting updates at this point

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an app that you can play youtube videos while the screen is off?

YouTube Premium has that feature, which of course made Google crack down on those apps that allow it. The ones I used to use before Premium have stopped, so I'll let others recommend something.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
NVidia Shield TV just took an update to Pie. Must be one of the oldest Android devices still getting updates at this point
To be fair, they've never really updated it and still sell it.

Hell, the upcoming update is no more than getting that slightly updated Tegra, too. So I'm expecting many years of new updates to come.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Tried to hold out for the Pixel XL 4, but my original Pixel 1 XL's battery was so shot that I couldn't take it anymore. Less than an hour of use on battery saver would drop it to 20%, and it would die at 20% not even making it down to 0.

So got myself a heavily discounted Pixel 3 XL. Feels good to be able to use a phone again without having to be attached to a charger.

How much would a new battery have cost?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

Interesting twist, seems like US note 10 will all be Exynos outside of Verizon.

Samsung making moves against Qualcomm
Regional-exclusive hardware was one thing, but now carrier-specific hardware? This feels shitty, especially since historically the Exynos versions have always trailed the Qualcomm SKUs, significantly in some cases. "Want a faster Note 10? Better be a Verizon customer." Yuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Regional-exclusive hardware was one thing, but now carrier-specific hardware? This feels shitty, especially since historically the Exynos versions have always trailed the Qualcomm SKUs, significantly in some cases. "Want a faster Note 10? Better be a Verizon customer." Yuck.
at the same time most of the custom scene for Samsung are with the Exynos devices, so there might some interesting potential.

Heck if I can buy a cheaper dual sim version off ebay and flash a US rom on it to support wifi calling and what not... would be interesting!

Would be interesting if Samsung goes full Exynos someday, with no snapdragon version, and dedicate 100% on optimization with the whole stack, sorta similar to apple, and huawei.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
My perfect phone will be something like Oneplus 7 pro with Pixel's camera, Note's pen and a headphone jack

I will not upgrade my Note 9 fuck Samsung for that ugly hole on the Note 10 screen and no headphone jack on the Tab 6

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
What are the chances that Google will replace/fix a Pixel (1st) with huge burn in om tbe screen? (Its the G of Google in the middle of it, whenever the screen is not dark). Phone was in Android 8.1 so I guess it was sitting on a shelf for a long long while before I got it lol.

Got it used and I can still return it, but their support was great with me (other Pixel phone, got a replacement hassle free), but I can only see the "call" option, I'd prefer the text based support. Is it because it is the weekend?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chrome updated last night and since then, every video, including gifvs from Imgur, just locks up the entire phone and forces a restart. Clearing the cache will have it work for videos again for a while.

This is on a Razer Phone 2 updated to Pie. On my Oreo Pixel C, no issues. Using the Samsung browser, no issues. Just Chrome on this device.

Anyone else getting anything similar? Not seeing a lot of talk about it online, so thinking it's just me.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Hi. I've been running a shop on ebay for a good few months now and anlm using my Moto g5 and the camera is okay but the focus is crap. I'm wondering I've anyone can suggest an upgrade for under £200? I don't really need anything on the phone apart from the best camera for the money. Thanks

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

This has been my favorite device since purchasing other than my S10. I'm not looking at another streaming device until there some sort of significantly leap. Definitely don't see that happening for 5+ years. I don't care about 8K.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm testing Mi9T, the camera is really good considering it's only ~$300. LTE also works because it has band4(aws). Really good option if you're looking for an affordable phone. It's practically same experience as One Plus 7 pro at less than half the price. You might not like the software but it's honestly ok, there is nothing really wrong with it and from what I've looked, it's very easy to flash ROMs on it unlike a galaxy or huawei phone. It supports netflix DRM but it only goes up to 720p for me still, unfortunate because the display is amazing and it's HDR. Maybe it is fixed later.

Considering what Samsung sells you at this price (A50), this is so much better and A50 is still a good value phone normally. Mi9T is just insane. When you don't have to pay for marketing, support and retail, you can pack a lot more into the product. If you don't mind these drawbacks, I don't think there is anything better than you can get for this much money. This is basically a flagship minus wireless charging. It's also very good looking with full screen experience. The performance is very good on this SD730, can't tell the difference between it and S10e that I have in normal use except this little guy takes much better photos than any samsung phone right now.

Last edited:

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I'm testing Mi9T, the camera is really good considering it's only ~$300. LTE also works because it has band4(aws). Really good option if you're looking for an affordable phone. It's practically same experience as One Plus 7 pro at less than half the price. You might not like the software but it's honestly ok, there is nothing really wrong with it and from what I've looked, it's very easy to flash ROMs on it unlike a galaxy or huawei phone. It supports netflix DRM but it only goes up to 720p for me still, unfortunate because the display is amazing and it's HDR. Maybe it is fixed later.

Considering what Samsung sells you at this price (A50), this is so much better and A50 is still a good value phone normally. Mi9T is just insane. When you don't have to pay for marketing, support and retail, you can pack a lot more into the product. If you don't mind these drawbacks, I don't think there is anything better than you can get for this much money. This is basically a flagship minus wireless charging. It's also very good looking with full screen experience. The performance is very good on this SD730, can't tell the difference between it and S10e that I have in normal use except this little guy takes much better photos than any samsung phone right now.

I have the 9T and I severely recommend you to install the GCam, because the difference is really huge, making the 9T cam even greater.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

This will be my next phone. MIUI is the only fly in the oinment, but I guess Nova Launcher can make it more bearable. And hopefully by the time I get mine there'll be an official LineageOS ROM. I've been using LineageOS for quite some time on my Nexus 6 (currently running Pie) and the experience has been truly great.

How's the front camera? I know the back cameras are solid (and probably even better with GCam), but I've heard mixed things about the front camera.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
This will be my next phone. MIUI is the only fly in the oinment, but I guess Nova Launcher can make it more bearable. And hopefully by the time I get mine there'll be an official LineageOS ROM. I've been using LineageOS for quite some time on my Nexus 6 (currently running Pie) and the experience has been truly great.

How's the front camera? I know the back cameras are solid (and probably even better with GCam), but I've heard mixed things about the front camera.

I haven't tried it a lot but I guess it's fine. Gcam makes wonders and taking in consideration the difference with the back cameras...

I've used it this weekend with little light and the result impressed me.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
I got a s10e two days ago and have a really weird bug. Whenever I am on wifi, I get a "new voicemail" notification. There are no voicemails when I call it or in my Tmobile visual voicemail. I also tried clearing the phone app cache and data. If I am not connected to wifi, I do not get the notification. Any ideas?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely get annoyed about Samsung's late updates because they typically put in their features up front and they tend to be more useful than stock android. I'm legit annoyed this time that I've been hearing about the Samsung night mode for well over 2 months and still have not received the update for it. I have the unlocked US version so I understand I'll be getting the update last. But it's kind of ridiculous that the last update for me was June 4th with a May 1st security patch.

And no I still don't want a Pixel and I don't care about those devices.