• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to hold out for the Pixel XL 4, but my original Pixel 1 XL's battery was so shot that I couldn't take it anymore. Less than an hour of use on battery saver would drop it to 20%, and it would die at 20% not even making it down to 0.

So got myself a heavily discounted Pixel 3 XL. Feels good to be able to use a phone again without having to be attached to a charger.

I just wanna share the my OG pixel bricked over the weekend coincidentally, so I got a new phone too

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely get annoyed about Samsung's late updates because they typically put in their features up front and they tend to be more useful than stock android. I'm legit annoyed this time that I've been hearing about the Samsung night mode for well over 2 months and still have not received the update for it. I have the unlocked US version so I understand I'll be getting the update last. But it's kind of ridiculous that the last update for me was June 4th with a May 1st security patch.

And no I still don't want a Pixel and I don't care about those devices.
what phone?

Note 8 and 9 are on the July security patch as of late July and got the June patch in early July.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could flash OneUI on this Mi9T. Only samsung's software feels good on big phones. :(

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it took me so long to figure out how to disable the terrible gesture navigation thing on Pie. Having a separate home button and currently running apps button is so much better.

Android's settings menu needs some work, it doesn't make much sense for "Gestures" option to be in the System menu. User interface could be a separate category.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
What are some good Bluetooth controllers to Play emulators with? Looking for one of those that has a holder as well.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it took me so long to figure out how to disable the terrible gesture navigation thing on Pie. Having a separate home button and currently running apps button is so much better.

Android's settings menu needs some work, it doesn't make much sense for "Gestures" option to be in the System menu. User interface could be a separate category.

Yeah, I was so glad that I could put the buttons back and go back to vertical scrolling list of apps.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool no galaxy fold news at all then lol. Guess the wait for more news will hopefully be in September.

Also there is a thread for the note 10. If you search up Samsung unpacked, there's a thread.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
it's not a google phone if battery life isn't poor.

$900+ phone btw. It's dumb when midrange phones have no problem putting in massive batteries. It's almost like they are designed with real use in mind...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My S10e has just about a perfect battery for me.

Only issue I run I run into is if I play games for a while or stream more than an hour of video while I'm at work.

If it's true that Samsung batteries don't degrade as fast as other phones, and there aren't any obnoxious Android updates that kill my battery life, I'm hoping to keep this phone for a while.

Hopefully in 2 years or so 90-120hz screens will be more efficient.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Note 10 is pretty much ResidentSleeper.

Less use features than Note 9, center notch, and no Snapdragon refresh unlike the Exynos refresh.

I'm tempted to just get a Note 9 or a S10+ 12GB RAM for cheap instead /shrugh

Waiting for the Fold tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... idk.

I still think i might just go for the note 10 with the $600 trade in for this iphone x I have around here...

There are little things about oxygen OS that is really annoying me these days, otherwise 7 pro is dope.

Still hilarious that the op 7 pro has a (slightly) higher res and higher refresh rate samsung panel than Samsung's top flagship.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Note 10 is pretty much ResidentSleeper.

Less use features than Note 9, center notch, and no Snapdragon refresh unlike the Exynos refresh.

I'm tempted to just get a Note 9 or a S10+ 12GB RAM for cheap instead /shrugh

Waiting for the Fold tbh.
I think that's what I'll do too. I love the stylus, but I'm guessin the S10+ is better?
I'd like to use my Note8 for another year, but the Pie update killed its battery life and it has become a huge inconvenience :\

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Nubia unvealed the dual-screen Nubia Z20 earlier today in China (video in Chinese):

It's a refined version of last year's dual-screen Nubia X, with a Snapdragon 855+ processor, a 6.42-inch curved AMOLED display and an upgraded triple camera setup (which supports up to 8K video recording) as the main new features. They've also added some gestures (see 3:00 mark), including HTC-like squeezing and the ability to lock your screen by touching it with the palm of your hand. Phone is getting a global release (including the US) in September.

Curved displays is something we're going to see on all upcoming Chinese flagships later this year.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's what I'll do too. I love the stylus, but I'm guessin the S10+ is better?
I'd like to use my Note8 for another year, but the Pie update killed its battery life and it has become a huge inconvenience :\
If you don't need the S Pen, S10+ has everything you can get from the Note plus headphone jack

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the galaxy unpacked OT, but it's pretty slow.
I asked if it would be better to get either a TabS4, a TabS5e, or wait and get the TabS6. I'm a samsung/android guy and would like to get a tablet. Just wanted to see what anyone recommend.

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the galaxy unpacked OT, but it's pretty slow.
I asked if it would be better to get either a TabS4, a TabS5e, or wait and get the TabS6. I'm a samsung/android guy and would like to get a tablet. Just wanted to see what anyone recommend.

depends on what you want an android tablet for. all 3 basically have the same amoled panel, so for video consumption all are the best. If you wanna do some light laptop work.. tab s6 is the best bet. 4gb ram on my tab s4 is a struggle with reloads.

definitely recommend tab s4 > 5e especially with the price these days. also has headphone jack, and spen

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
depends on what you want an android tablet for. all 3 basically have the same amoled panel, so for video consumption all are the best. If you wanna do some light laptop work.. tab s6 is the best bet. 4gb ram on my tab s4 is a struggle with reloads.

definitely recommend tab s4 > 5e especially with the price these days. also has headphone jack, and spen

Thanks for that. It's pretty much just gonna be an extension of my note 9 when charging. Basically a Netflix/ companion app/ e reader.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize the smaller Note 10 didn't have a micro SD card slot until I read an article about the phone on Verge.

No headphone jack is already a bummer but not Micro SD card makes it a huge no for me, even if I think the phone at least LOOKS nice.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've asked before and got no response but, does smart lock just not work on any android?

I just run my screen without any lock or even swipe. I dont want that hassle as I'm constantly checking my phone and running podcasts or music off it, and I dont want to even swipe yet alone do any kind of security (pin or biometric), every single time I open my phone. However obviously running without any lock screen security is a little dangerous.

Smart lock seems the almost perfect solution, it's supposed to keep your phone unlocked at the geographic location you define as home, as well as whenever it's connected to designated bluetooth, which would also defacto keep it in unlocked in my car, basically with home and car covered I'm good. Once I discovered this feature existed I was excited.

So I turned this on when I found out about it on my old phone an S8+. Didn't reliably work (keeps randomly locking my phone at home). I even tried a few solutions I googled (that I shouldn't have to do) such as putting a pin NEAR your home and designating it as home rather than using your actual home address. Still unreliable. But it seemed googling revealed a fair bit of problems related to smart lock and the S8+, so I chalked it up to that phone.

Until I got a brand new latest and greatest phone a few months ago the One Plus 7 Pro, And hey guess what, smart lock still doesn't work. Any tips?

WTF, Google.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Also in a separate post about the note 10. I wont lie I'm a gadget lover, of course I want the Note 10 if money was no object. That said comparing it to my months old OP7 Pro, I'm very happy with my OP7. I still get 12GB RAM, 6.7", no camera cutout,and a 90hz screen and paid 749 for it. Whereas it would cost me way over 1000+ to get 12GB RAM on the Note 10 (at least at first, Samsung prices do fall). I honestly figures Samsung would go all screen no camera cutout with the Note 10, either with a popup cam or the coming camera under display tech, but I guess it wasn't ready. Next year I guess.

I will say the one thing that bugs me a little about my OP7 is despite that in reviews the screen brightness nits is measured close to the latest Samsungs and Apples, in reality outside on auto brightness in direct sun it's a lot harder to see than my old s8+. Not sure if it's because of the super large 6.7 screen, the factory preapplied plastic screen protector (which my S8 didn't have) causing glare, or just a actual dimmer screen. That's really a very minor issue though, almost never affects me. Inside the brightness is great.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
I got a s10e two days ago and have a really weird bug. Whenever I am on wifi, I get a "new voicemail" notification. There are no voicemails when I call it or in my Tmobile visual voicemail. I also tried clearing the phone app cache and data. If I am not connected to wifi, I do not get the notification. Any ideas?

Anyone?

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung is offering me 300 € for my Note 9, 100 € less than what they gave me for my Note 8 lmao

The Sony Xperia 1 only has a 3300 mAh... just why??????? Don't tell me that they have a super energy-saving software because whynotboth.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having this as well on Tmo. S10. Not just you. Appears to be a service side issue.

Edit: I have the s10+. I usually get the new note; that's why I'm still on the Jump plan. But it would seem like the fold is the better Note this year?

its the more exciting option, but man, im not confident at that plastic screen, as someone that's used plastic screen protectors before... those get messed up within weeks of daily use.

edit; also tmobile says they weren't selling it?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The newest beta killed notifications on my Pixel 3a. All I get is an icon in the status bar, even for incoming phone calls.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm feeling to get a new phone this year, primarily as I want something a bit bigger and with a better camera than the One Plus 5 I'm currently using.

Currently looking at either a One Plus 7 Pro or a Pixel 3 XL. Any recommendations between those two, or should I wait to see what the Pixel 4 family is all about?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a oneplus 7.
Everything is so smooth.
Friend of mine for his as well, does your keyboard also have a gap between the bottom and the navigation buttons of the OS? He shared a screenshot with me, and there's a strange and large gap on his phone. Even with other keyboards.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Is the consensus that next year's phones will have the camera underneath the screen? Or is that still too new a tech for it to be widespread?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Is the consensus that next year's phones will have the camera underneath the screen? Or is that still too new a tech for it to be widespread?

Not at all. Maybe some Chinese brand put an experimental design like that out but nothing more than that.

the rumors suggest next iphone design has hole punch for example, you can expect more of that design replacing tear drop notches that were the prominent design this year.

Last edited:

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Also in a separate post about the note 10. I wont lie I'm a gadget lover, of course I want the Note 10 if money was no object. That said comparing it to my months old OP7 Pro, I'm very happy with my OP7. I still get 12GB RAM, 6.7", no camera cutout,and a 90hz screen and paid 749 for it. Whereas it would cost me way over 1000+ to get 12GB RAM on the Note 10 (at least at first, Samsung prices do fall). I honestly figures Samsung would go all screen no camera cutout with the Note 10, either with a popup cam or the coming camera under display tech, but I guess it wasn't ready. Next year I guess.

I will say the one thing that bugs me a little about my OP7 is despite that in reviews the screen brightness nits is measured close to the latest Samsungs and Apples, in reality outside on auto brightness in direct sun it's a lot harder to see than my old s8+. Not sure if it's because of the super large 6.7 screen, the factory preapplied plastic screen protector (which my S8 didn't have) causing glare, or just a actual dimmer screen. That's really a very minor issue though, almost never affects me. Inside the brightness is great.
The main reason I'm upgrading to the N10+ is because I'm able to pay the 20/month I'm paying for the NO. Otherwise I'd probably look into the S10+ myself. I love the S pen too so I definitely wanted to make a lateral move when it comes to that.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Maybe some Chinese brand put an experimental design like that out but nothing more than that.

the rumors suggest next iphone design has hole punch for example, you can expect more of that design replacing tear drop notches that were the prominent design this year.
Alright. It's just I expect Apple to be behind with a year like they usually are. And Galaxy S10 already has the cutout instead of the teardrop. I was hoping the S11 could have a chance of hiding it behind the screen. But maybe it's too soon.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
It appears that Verizon is doing what amounts to a buy one get one free deal on the Note10 when you switch over. Any downsides? I am a veteran so Im not sure what pricing comes out to. I see $30 per mont on 4 lines, not sure about 2.