• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought an Android phone (was on windows until now..). What's the best/most simple app to play mp3s? (no streaming; like I said, I'm from another era...). Something like windows media player or winamp, but for android phones.

I tried to look on youtube, but it seems like every other videos on android are in Hindi.
ZPlayer

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, wondering if anyone can help me out. What would be the best sub $200 phone I can get under Verizon? Currently thinking the Moto G7 Power, but if there are better options I'd love to know.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 2 years with my S8 and I think it's time for a change. Any budget-ish recommendations? My budget is about $300-400. Trying to snag a used S10 for that price locally but all the cheap ones sell super fast.

I thought about going back to standard budget phones with something like the Moto G7, but I don't know if that's really an upgrade over what I already have. Is the Samsung A50 any good? I can get it for like $40 directly from Samsung if I trade in my S8.

I also kind of want a Pixel 3 but it's like a year old at this point.
Why, if I may ask?

My S8+ works just fine. And it better hold until the Surface Duo.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Pixel XL 2. Swiping back and forth between apps with the new Android 10 multitasking is so damn useless. Nothing stays in RAM so it's constantly reloading and creates a shitty, glitchy mess. Pixel 4 better have 8 GB RAM or the new multitasking is just useless.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, wondering if anyone can help me out. What would be the best sub $200 phone I can get under Verizon? Currently thinking the Moto G7 Power, but if there are better options I'd love to know.
The Moto Z3 Play's been on sale for $199 for the past month and looking over the specs it looks decently better than the G7 Power with the exception that the G7 Power has a huge battery. If you buy it from Motorola's website you can also get a free Moto Mod included.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Why, if I may ask?

You didn't get the galaxy fold?

I didn't either, phone was ridiculously hard to get and sold out after first day. And fragile screen kinda scared me off lol.

At that point I said screw it and got the note 10+. Dont regret it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought an Android phone (was on windows until now..). What's the best/most simple app to play mp3s? (no streaming; like I said, I'm from another era...). Something like windows media player or winamp, but for android phones.

I tried to look on youtube, but it seems like every other videos on android are in Hindi.
Blackplayer or the paid version Blackplayer EX. Nothing is better.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Why, if I may ask?

How has your S8+ battery held up over the last few years?
I think that's when Samsung started using their longer lasting battery tech, and I'm curious how well yours had held up.

I'm planning on keeping my S10e for longer than I typically do (buying a new phone every year just isn't realistic for me anymore), and battery is my main concern with keeping a phone for 2+ years.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't get the galaxy fold?

I didn't either, phone was ridiculously hard to get and sold out after first day. And fragile screen kinda scared me off lol.

At that point I said screw it and got the note 10+. Dont regret it.

My preorder was cancelled and couldn't be bothered to go through with it again.

How has your S8+ battery held up over the last few years?
I think that's when Samsung started using their longer lasting battery tech, and I'm curious how well yours had held up.

I'm planning on keeping my S10e for longer than I typically do (buying a new phone every year just isn't realistic for me anymore), and battery is my main concern with keeping a phone for 2+ years.
So far I can get a full day out of it. That is unless I play Mario Kart Tour.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man is it just me or is it hard to decide on a phone right now. I'm due for an upgrade (Pixel 2) and prefer to buy my phones outright but the prices are nuts out there. Seeing the speculated Canadian prices for the Pixel 4 just makes me roll my eyes.

No idea what my plan will be.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Man is it just me or is it hard to decide on a phone right now. I'm due for an upgrade (Pixel 2) and prefer to buy my phones outright but the prices are nuts out there. Seeing the speculated Canadian prices for the Pixel 4 just makes me roll my eyes.

No idea what my plan will be.

OnePlus 7 Pro is the least expensive flagship-like phone option, yet has powerful specs. I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm looking at the Pixel 4 and laughing at the $1000+ prices, yet only having 6 GB RAM. O7P is the only phone that makes sense to own.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm keeping my 6T and will upgrade to next year's OnePlus device. We'll see what they offer.
dims

Punchhole and probably wireless charging.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6T is only a year old. Don't think you are really missing much by holding on to that. There won't be noticeable performance gains.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool, but I'm a massive sucker for quirky smartphones. I think rumors said it is supposed to be a companion device (IE Like the Light Phone or Palm Phone), and it is not meant to be a smartphone replacement, but rather a phone to use to get things done and get back into the world. I don't know if there's a huge market for a device like that, but the success of crowd-funded campaigns like the Light Phone makes me think there might be.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I want to replace my Moto X4 and had planned to jump into the Apple ecosystem since I have an iPad, but I just don't know if I want to pay $700+ for a phone that doesn't even have a 1080p display. I've been looking for something a bit smaller and saw the Galaxy 10e for $450 or so refurbished from Amazon, but I've heard good things from the Pixel 3a. Which one would you all recommend?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I want to replace my Moto X4 and had planned to jump into the Apple ecosystem since I have an iPad, but I just don't know if I want to pay $700+ for a phone that doesn't even have a 1080p display. I've been looking for something a bit smaller and saw the Galaxy 10e for $450 or so refurbished from Amazon, but I've heard good things from the Pixel 3a. Which one would you all recommend?

I'm writing this on a Pixel 3a. The display is awful (I honestly think the X4's is better, but the X4's camera is a potato).

The S10e's looks a lot nicer. The S10e also has a much nicer in-hand feel. I only question Samsung's long-term support.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I'm writing this on a Pixel 3a. The display is awful (I honestly think the X4's is better, but the X4's camera is a potato).

The S10e's looks a lot nicer. The S10e also has a much nicer in-hand feel. I only question Samsung's long-term support.
Oh, well that's that. lol I keep seeing that the S10e has "abysmal" battery life, which sounds crazy as hell cause my X4 gets like, a full day+ of usage. There are so many options in the $450 price range and all I want is a phone with a decent camera. Any other recommendations or devices I should look at?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

S8 series still gets updates, so that's a good sign. I don't think the S8s will get Android 10 though

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is the default messages app better than Hangouts?

Hangouts feels like crap to use compared to other messaging apps out there nowadays.

I use because of the Gmail functionality but I want to be done with it :'(

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had issues with Timely (alarm clock app) ever since Android 10 was released. Before, when the morning alarm function would trigger, it would come to the forefront, and all I had to do to deactivate the alarm was to swipe up. Now, the app starts in the background... which is an extreme hassle as I have to unlock my phone, pull down the notification bar, select the app, then swipe up to deactivate the alarm.

This issue has not been fixed yet. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix this?

Thank you

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I've had issues with Timely (alarm clock app) ever since Android 10 was released. Before, when the morning alarm function would trigger, it would come to the forefront, and all I had to do to deactivate the alarm was to swipe up. Now, the app starts in the background... which is an extreme hassle as I have to unlock my phone, pull down the notification bar, select the app, then swipe up to deactivate the alarm.

This issue has not been fixed yet. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix this?

Thank you
Use a different alarm app, unfortunately. I had no end of bother with Timely a while back and ended up having to ditch it entirely.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, well that's that. lol I keep seeing that the S10e has "abysmal" battery life, which sounds crazy as hell cause my X4 gets like, a full day+ of usage. There are so many options in the $450 price range and all I want is a phone with a decent camera. Any other recommendations or devices I should look at?
OnePlus 7 $437 at Amazon. And the 8gb/256gb version.

Amazing value.

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be getting the 7T Pro once I'm back from my vacation. I'll sell my S10+. I'm welcoming the change after 5 generations of Samsung. That's quite exciting to me :D

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I can get a day and a half out of my S10 between youtube, facebook/twitter/instagram, reddit, era, and spotify/local music, along with some Waze usage during my commute. And the 10e is supposed to have better battery life.

I did enable the medium power saving mode though, which pretty much downclocks the processor about 10%, but I've played games that way and downloaded some torrents with no issue, and I'm using 1440p resolution. The 10e will be fine, I think. Get the 10e if you're looking at it. Or if you don't care about gaming performance, get the Oppo Reno 2.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've got an LG G6 that I've been using since 2017, and the battery has really been showing signs of age lately. This morning, when I woke up, it was dead even though it had been plugged in all night, and I'm just now getting it to slowly charge while it's plugged into a fast charger. So, I'm thinking that it's about time for me to consider an upgrade, if this problem persists, and I thought I'd ask you experts for some recommendations.

Specifically, I need a headphone jack, which apparently cuts out a lot of options nowadays. I also really like the size of the G6, and don't think I'd want one of those big, 6.6 inch phones. Water resistance would be nice, but I know that's a luxury if I want a headphone jack, so it's not necessary. I also do quite like having a fingerprint reader on the back of the phone.

All that being said, I've been researching around, and it looks like the Pixel 3a might be my best option, but I'd love to know if there are other good phones out there that meet my needs, or if there's a reason I should avoid the Pixel 3a. Thanks for the help!

Oct 25, 2017
Android 10 beta is out for s10 in Korea usa and Germany.

Samsung finally got the animations to be smooth.

Gotta prep for s11 and 90hz screen!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So, I've got an LG G6 that I've been using since 2017, and the battery has really been showing signs of age lately. This morning, when I woke up, it was dead even though it had been plugged in all night, and I'm just now getting it to slowly charge while it's plugged into a fast charger. So, I'm thinking that it's about time for me to consider an upgrade, if this problem persists, and I thought I'd ask you experts for some recommendations.

Specifically, I need a headphone jack, which apparently cuts out a lot of options nowadays. I also really like the size of the G6, and don't think I'd want one of those big, 6.6 inch phones. Water resistance would be nice, but I know that's a luxury if I want a headphone jack, so it's not necessary. I also do quite like having a fingerprint reader on the back of the phone.

All that being said, I've been researching around, and it looks like the Pixel 3a might be my best option, but I'd love to know if there are other good phones out there that meet my needs, or if there's a reason I should avoid the Pixel 3a. Thanks for the help!

The biggest problem with the Pixel 3a is that it would be a sidegrade relative to your G6 in most respects (and a downgrade in some others like build quality and screen resolution), and its drawbacks might get a bit long in the tooth over time. Other than the camera and the timely updates, the 3a has only 4GB of RAM, a pretty meh display, and a midrange processor, which might be fine for 2019 but not so much in a couple of years. And that chin, oof.

If you don't mind forking out the cash, your best bet is probably the Galaxy S10, since it's about the same size in hand as the G6, has a headphone jack and it's a tremendous upgrade in every respect over it. It's worth noting that this phone has the fingerprint reader under the display, not on the back like the others.

Another choice would be the LG G8 ThinkQ, with flagship specs, headphone jack, also same size as your G6, and a POLED display. It has a pretty big iPhonesque notch though, and I don't know if that'd be a dealbreaker for you (ït'd be for me). You could probably get one for less than $400.

If you don't want a notch and you don't want to spend as much money, then the Pixel 3a is fine. If you like taking pictures with your phone and stock Android, it's great at that. But then again, if you have the chance, it might be a good idea to wait for the Pixel 4 or get a (discounted) Pixel 3. (which unfortunately lack headphone jacks).

Here's a handy size comparison.

1PRw50C.png

Last edited:

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with the Pixel 3a is that it would be a sidegrade relative to your G6 in most respects (and a downgrade in some others like build quality and screen resolution), and its drawbacks might get a bit long in the tooth over time. Other than the camera and the timely updates, the 3a has only 4GB of RAM, a pretty meh display, and a midrange processor, which might be fine for 2019 but not so much in a couple of years. And that chin, oof.

If you don't mind forking out the cash, your best bet is probably the Galaxy S10, since it's about the same size in hand as the G6, has a headphone jack and it's a tremendous upgrade in every respect over it. It's worth noting that this phone has the fingerprint reader under the display, not on the back like the others.

Another choice would be the LG G8 ThinkQ, with flagship specs, headphone jack, also same size as your G6, and a POLED display. It has a pretty big iPhonesque notch though, and I don't know if that'd be a dealbreaker for you (ït'd be for me). You could probably get one for less than $400.

If you don't want a notch and you don't want to spend as much money, then the Pixel 3a is fine.

Here's a handy size comparison.

1PRw50C.png

Wow, this is a fantastic write-up! Thanks for the help. I was totally under the impression that the S10 was much bigger, so I'd written it off. You've totally changed my mind, though. Now I think it'll probably come down to the S10 or the G8. I really don't like the notch onthe G8, but I could probably handle it. I'll have to go look at them in the stores and see how they feel in my hand, but I feel much better now that I have an idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks so much!

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I really want the Mi 9T Pro, but seeing that it only works with like half of Cricket's LTE bands makes me probably pass. I live in rural KY and coverage isn't great as is.

That looks like an insane value for the price, though.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Wow, this is a fantastic write-up! Thanks for the help. I was totally under the impression that the S10 was much bigger, so I'd written it off. You've totally changed my mind, though. Now I think it'll probably come down to the S10 or the G8. I really don't like the notch onthe G8, but I could probably handle it. I'll have to go look at them in the stores and see how they feel in my hand, but I feel much better now that I have an idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks so much!

Not a problem! I'm in the market for a phone myself so the specs of most newer phones are pretty fresh in my mind, haha.

I really want the Mi 9T Pro, but seeing that it only works with like half of Cricket's LTE bands makes me probably pass. I live in rural KY and coverage isn't great as is.

It'll probably be my next phone. What I really want is the OP7 Pro, but it's a wee bit too pricey for me. Luckily I live in a GSM only country so LTE bands wouldn't be a problem if I went with the 9T Pro.

My only concerns are MIUI and the relatively mediocre perfomance considering it has a SD855. Other than that it's almost too good to be true. I wish Xiaomi sold an Android One version of this phone; the Mi A3 was a bitter disappointment.

Hopefully it'll get official LineageOS at some point.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Your best options are gonna be phones supporting Band 14.