• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Realme held a press conference this morning in Madrid, announcing three models for the EU market.

3tXia4v.jpg

Some great prices overall.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
K, I waited for the Pixel 4 presentation like all the cool kids said and uh yeah you peeps were right.
Gonna go check out the 10e, the iPhone 11, and the OnePlus at the local shops this weekend.
Google really doesn't get it, huh?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up snagging an S10e off Ebay for pretty cheap ($300). Not a huge upgrade from my S8, but I'm happy for the price and newer specs are always good. My S8 has a deep scratch just below the top speaker (still no clue how it got there) and a mushy power button, so I'm excited for a better looking/feeling phone at the very least! I wanted a regular S10, but a lot of folks have complaints about the fingerprint scanner and it's significantly more expensive. Not sure how I'd feel about a bigger phone, either. The S8 feels about perfect.

If the S11 ends up being some gamechanger, I'm sure I can trade this in for about what I paid for it. My S8's going to Gamestop for $110 cash. Not too bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here knowledgeable about rooting kindle tablets? I have a Kindle HD 8 and I'm trying to get LineageOS installed on it. TBH I'm pretty tech illiterate and while I've found guides, they're hard for me to follow. Anyone that can walk me through it, I'll pay you 😂😂

Feb 15, 2018
Anyone here finding the Pixel 2 battery life to be appalling with Ps4 remote play? Not sure if its an Android 10 issue that it has coincided with (i have read reports it kills the battery on some phones), but 30 minutes of rp consumes about 40% of my battery. Whereas on my iPad it uses about 5% for the same duration of time.
It's a real shame as now it supports dual shock 4 i have bought a clip and was looking forward to playing far more (the 5ghz ability that is not offered by the Vita is essential).

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Anyone here knowledgeable about rooting kindle tablets? I have a Kindle HD 8 and I'm trying to get LineageOS installed on it. TBH I'm pretty tech illiterate and while I've found guides, they're hard for me to follow. Anyone that can walk me through it, I'll pay you 😂😂

I found a couple of guides online and...it's not for the faint of heart, even if you had someone walking you through step-by-step. Amazon really went out of its way to make it as hard as possible to lock down the bootloader. Until very recently you had to physically short some of the contacts on the main board to force it into recovery and if you are on a newer firmware you'll have to purposefully brick the device. And it all has to be done via Linux terminal.

And even if you get the tablet's bootloader unlocked, there's the issue of the ROMs not being 100%. LineageOS is unofficial, for example, and stuff like the headphone jack doesn't work.

Oct 25, 2017
Just a fyi, I saw a post on iphone subreddit about how if you upload a photo in the HEIC format to google photos its not compressed even if you select high quality (because it cost them more to convert to a larger jpeg).

This 'loophole' works on android too. Tested this just now on my note 10+ which can save in that format.

So yeah check if your phone can do that if you wanna take advantage of original quality photos uploads.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Dang. Smashed the screen on my Moto G7 and have a Pixel 3XL on the way from Amazon. Didnt want to wait for the G8 at 665 QC chip and figured for $547 the Xl at 845 would be better?

I don't game AT ALL on my phone but now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a OnePlus 7 Pro for a bit more? The specs are outrageous but will I really notice the difference over P3 for apps web mail and text?

For some stupid reason when looking at the OnePlus last night I was thinking ATT was CDMA not GSM so I dismissed it.

Id even get to he Onplus 7 intl but it says only falls under Amazon 30 day warranty and is not water resistant.

I am also looking forward to having Google updates regularly and stock android but dont want a phone that's gonna be a dog in a year? My G7 is starting to feel like its moving in mud lately

Thoughts?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Dang. Smashed the screen on my Moto G7 and have a Pixel 3XL on the way from Amazon. Didnt want to wait for the G8 at 665 QC chip and figured for $547 the Xl at 845 would be better?

I don't game AT ALL on my phone but now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a OnePlus 7 Pro for a bit more? The specs are outrageous but will I really notice the difference over P3 for apps web mail and text?

For some stupid reason when looking at the OnePlus last night I was thinking ATT was CDMA not GSM so I dismissed it.

Id even get to he Onplus 7 intl but it says only falls under Amazon 30 day warranty and is not water resistant.

I am also looking forward to having Google updates regularly and stock android but dont want a phone that's gonna be a dog in a year? My G7 is starting to feel like its moving in mud lately

Thoughts?

Not that the Pixel 3XL is slow or anything but the One Plus 7 Pro is on a class of its own, not just because of the newer SoC but also because its one of the few phones with 3.0 UFS storage. Oneplus also updates their phones regularly and is probably the fastest OEM out there at porting the newest Android versions (the OP7P is on Android 10 already) and it has a pretty much stock take on Android that is arguably more feature rich than Google's pretty bare-bones implementation.

For a hundred bucks more, I'd go for the OP7P without the slightest hesitation. I personally think the notch on the Pixel 3 XL is an affront to all that's good and pure in the world and that's enough to prevent me from ever even considering getting one, and even though the OP7P has a much larger display, the phone itself is actually not much larger, as you can see here.

i9yqU4T.png

As for drawbacks, the phone is not IP68 like you mentioned, though OnePlus claims the phone should be pretty splash resistant. It doesn't have wireless charging and of course the camera isn't as good as the Pixel, though you get perks like Telephoto and Wideangle.

If you feel that the OP7P is too much, you could always pick up the smaller OnePlus 7T which is a bit cheaper and has the even faster SD855+ and keeps the 90HZ display.

Last edited:

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Not that the Pixel 3XL is slow or anything but the One Plus 7 Pro is on a class of its own, not just because of the newer SoC but also because its one of the few phones with 3.0 UFS storage. Oneplus also updates their phones regularly and is probably the fastest OEM out there at porting the newest Android versions (the OP7P is on Android 10 already) and it has a pretty much stock take on Android that is arguably more feature rich than Google's pretty bare-bones implementation.

For a hundred bucks more, I'd go for the OP7P without the slightest hesitation. I personally think the notch on the Pixel 3 XL is an affront to all that's good and pure in the world and that's enough to prevent me from ever even considering getting one, and even though the OP7P has a much larger display, the phone itself is actually not much larger, as you can see here.

i9yqU4T.png

As for drawbacks, the phone is not IP68 like you mentioned, though OnePlus claims the phone should be pretty splash resistant. It doesn't have wireless charging and of course the camera isn't as good as the Pixel, though you get perks like Telephoto and Wideangle.

If you feel that the OP7P is too much, you could always pick up the smaller OnePlus 7T which is a bit cheaper and has the even faster SD855+ and keeps the 90HZ display.
Dang thank you, much appreciated!

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Which Snapdragon should I look for if I want great battery life and decent performance? My Pixel died and I am currently using an old Asus from my dad (GPS and cameras not working, NFC nonexistent). I'd be happy to get a Pixel 3a just because of the camera, but would only buy one for 300 or less euros (maybe Black Friday?). I bought a Mi A3 that is really great for my dad, but no NFC makes me not want to have one for myself.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Which Snapdragon should I look for if I want great battery life and decent performance? My Pixel died and I am currently using an old Asus from my dad (GPS and cameras not working, NFC nonexistent). I'd be happy to get a Pixel 3a just because of the camera, but would only buy one for 300 or less euros (maybe Black Friday?). I bought a Mi A3 that is really great for my dad, but no NFC makes me not want to have one for myself.

Oct 25, 2017

performance as in UI smoothness or do you do some gaming?

3a xl seems fine for most ppl in terms of smoothness and battery. Probably can get better performance for that price range though, especially in europe with a better china presence.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, the Mi 9T is cheaper than the 3a, and has the much faster SD730, much better build quality, more RAM and storage and a 4000mAh battery, all for about 300 Euros.

It's a question of whether you can stomach MIUI and the worse camera.

I kinda want a Pixel 3a XL but that's a lot of cash for a plastic phone with a SD670 and 4GB of RAM.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up snagging an S10e off Ebay for pretty cheap ($300). Not a huge upgrade from my S8, but I'm happy for the price and newer specs are always good. My S8 has a deep scratch just below the top speaker (still no clue how it got there) and a mushy power button, so I'm excited for a better looking/feeling phone at the very least! I wanted a regular S10, but a lot of folks have complaints about the fingerprint scanner and it's significantly more expensive. Not sure how I'd feel about a bigger phone, either. The S8 feels about perfect.

If the S11 ends up being some gamechanger, I'm sure I can trade this in for about what I paid for it. My S8's going to Gamestop for $110 cash. Not too bad.
I've been very happy with my S10e. Love the size, very happy with the camera, decent battery, and a really good screen.

Also prefer it over the S10/plus just because it has a flat screen. Glass screen protectors are much more affordable for it and I dont need to worry about it blocking the fingerprint sensor. And it's easier to hold without a case without accidental touches.

One of the first phones I've had in a long time that I haven't had the urge to upgrade already and probably won't for quite a while.
I think only a non-standard phone Like Microsoft's 2 screen folding phone or a more advanced Galaxy Fold (stronger screen material, waterproofing, and less likely to break) would get me I terested in upgrading.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If you're getting the mi 9t, you might as well pay they extra for a Pro. I've had mine a few weeks and very pleased with it.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ

i9yqU4T.png

Update...Got my pixel 3xl today $547 plus tax. Very nice. But also have a OnePlus 7t coming Thursday $599 total, to compare real world. The specs were too good not to see. Thx

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone messed around with Recorder on the Pixel 4? Kind of a killer app for me in theory but I'm just using a 3. Hoping it's made more widely available soon...

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
performance as in UI smoothness or do you do some gaming?

3a xl seems fine for most ppl in terms of smoothness and battery. Probably can get better performance for that price range though, especially in europe with a better china presence.
Just smoothness, I dont game on my phone. From what I see it should be either the SD710, 675 and 660. I'd probably get a smaller Pixel 3a and deal with a not so great battery life, I am used to carrying powerbank with me and I dont like bigger phones. It is hard to have a phone with a non-Pixel camera after you owned one lol. I am really pissed that the Mi A3 doesnt have NFC, for under 200 a good enough device with Android One.

Oct 25, 2017
Just smoothness, I dont game on my phone. From what I see it should be either the SD710, 675 and 660. I'd probably get a smaller Pixel 3a and deal with a not so great battery life, I am used to carrying powerbank with me and I dont like bigger phones. It is hard to have a phone with a non-Pixel camera after you owned one lol. I am really pissed that the Mi A3 doesnt have NFC, for under 200 a good enough device with Android One.

3a is probably the only option then. Battery is probably ok for the size. Probably better than pixel 3 and 4 lol

Oct 25, 2017

Damn that's a great deal. been looking at those recently and cheap ones are like 380.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
People buying Pixel phones are part of the problem: it gives Google the impression they are on the right track with the iPhone copying.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I finally got the Pie update on my LG G6. Is there a way to get the dark home button bar again? They removed it as one of the color options and I don't want it white. Only other option I see is the LG proprietary theming for a full dark theme, but it changes the icons and I don't like that.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Been using google phones since Galaxy Nexus but ditched my Pixel for a 7t. 800 STARTING for a pixel 4 is some bullshit. I think the 7t is expensive @ 600, but I'm hoping it'll last me years.

Need to hit up XDA because the auto brightness on this is shitty in low light.

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Received the pixel 4. Coming from a pixel 3.

Pros:
- 90hz is amazing and should be standard on all phones going forward.
- Local onboard google assistant is snappy and feels great to use compared to pixel3's slower assistant.
- 6GB ram, feels like applications aren't clearing out as often as the pixel3
- Screen size is bigger.
- Speakers surprisingly sound better than the pixel3, despite the down firing speaker on one side.

Cons:
- Google is aggressive with the 90hz to 60hz reduction. I didn't see 90hz until I forced it on in developer options. Makes this feature basically nonexistent unless you jump through hoops to force it on.
- The small battery obviously. Plus add on 90hz forced and the battery life is unacceptable for an $800 phone.
- Screen has a yellow tint to it side-by-side to my pixel3. Additionally the colors look washed out. Toggling every display option doesn't get rid of this.
- Scroll flicking behaves poorly. Instead of allowing me to fly to the top/bottom of a page with a thumb flick, it sputters and only scrolls a tiny bit about half the time.
- Face unlock behaves differently depending on if you're picking it up off a table vs pulling it out of your pocket. If coming off a table or from the standing wireless charger, it unlocks with your face without any button presses. If from your pocket, you have to press the power button or double tap the screen before face unlock starts working. This inconsistency is annoying.
- Face unlock doesn't work if the phone is closer to your face (<7 inches or so). In bed I tend to have the phone closer to my face, so the face unlock fails. I have to reset the whole procedure by pressing the power button, then moving the phone away from my face to get it to unlock.
- If coming from a flat surface, I can't look at the ambient display for notifications or else it will unlock my phone and I'll have to relock it. Sometimes I only want to glance at the ambient display before putting it in my pocket. Now I have to deal with the phone itself deciding when it should and shouldn't unlock.
- No fingerprint swipe down to open notification shade. On the pixel3 I could unlock the phone and swipe down the notification shade, all with the fingerprint sensor, all as I'm pulling it out of my pocket, before I even looked at the phone. Now I have to look at the phone, wait for it to unlock, then reach my thumb up to the top of the screen to pull down the shade.
- Pixel4 is larger and heavier than the pixel3. With my smaller hands the phone is much more cumbersome to handle.
- Haven't used Soli yet because there simply aren't many applications implementing the feature. Plus with the reports of it being inconsistent, it feels gimmicky.
- Lack of 4k60 video recording and wide angle lens, which is standard in other premium phones.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
- If coming from a flat surface, I can't look at the ambient display for notifications or else it will unlock my phone and I'll have to relock it. Sometimes I only want to glance at the ambient display before putting it in my pocket. Now I have to deal with the phone itself deciding when it should and shouldn't unlock.

It is surprising no one has found a good balance yet. iOS always puts you on the lock screen. Android seems to give you an option for lock screen or home (Correct me if I am wrong, I am just going off the reviews).

Maybe an intermediate option where you can select lock screen if there are notifications present or home screen if there are no notifications could work.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Just got an S10+, upgraded from the Note 9. I know, why didn't I upgrade to the Note 10? Because I still want the headphone jack and wanted the phone with the best specs that still had it. I also don't use the stylus nearly as much as I like.

Will miss the iris scanner. The face unlock isn't as reliable.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an S10+, upgraded from the Note 9. I know, why didn't I upgrade to the Note 10? Because I still want the headphone jack and wanted the phone with the best specs that still had it. I also don't use the stylus nearly as much as I like.

Will miss the iris scanner. The face unlock isn't as reliable.

yeah, s10 probably gonna be the last phones with headphone jack. Even LG is iffy if they will keep it next year.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
So guys, what you're favorite navigation gesture?
I think Oneplus is the best.
My new OnePlus 7t does not offer OnePlus gestures. Just 3 button or A10 gestures. Was interested in seeing OnePlus gestures not sure why not on it?

One interesting point is that the 7T allows Android gestures with other launchers like Microsoft launcher whereas the pixel 3 XL did not. so maybe they are just using Android gesture system-wide on their new phones now?