• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Does anyone here own a Pixelbook? Is it worth getting?
I own the original Pixelbook and I love it. But, I managed to buy mine for $500 and my only needs were a web browser with a good keyboard/trackpad and great battery life, and it meets those needs. It's absolutely not worth $1000, as you can buy a great 13" Windows laptop at that price range, but if you can find one on sale and have similar needs to mine, it's pretty great. The build quality is top-notch and the battery is absolutely monstrous, I'm still surprised by how long it can last on a single charge.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My new OnePlus 7t does not offer OnePlus gestures. Just 3 button or A10 gestures. Was interested in seeing OnePlus gestures not sure why not on it?

One interesting point is that the 7T allows Android gestures with other launchers like Microsoft launcher whereas the pixel 3 XL did not. so maybe they are just using Android gesture system-wide on their new phones now?

Google mandates that all phones shipping with A10 only offer Google's gesture or classic 3-button navigation by default/during initial setup. Guess OnePlus decided it wasn't worth further developing their gestures if they'd only be a hidden option.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I updated my instagram app and it switched to dark mode by default and I can't for the life of me find how to turn it off. I am on an old huawei y6 and it is running android 6.0 so there is no dark or light app settings for me. Any ideas?

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Currently a Pixel 3XL owner who was going to make the jump to the 4 until they revealed it fully and now I will pass.... I am looking to sell on my P3XL and jump onto another phone but I am unsure which... I could go OP7 Pro instead of the T series or I could get the RealMe X2 Pro? Or possibly the Mi9T pro?

So many good phones for little money these days, it's crazy.

I am in the UK too btw.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Sup old timers!
Just went from the Xperia 1 to the galaxy fold, and the fold is straight legit! Straight game changer!

It's been a joy to use so far. If it didn't have a stupid notch it would have been perfect. It will be really hard to go back to conventional rectangular slab phones.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
My new OnePlus 7t does not offer OnePlus gestures. Just 3 button or A10 gestures. Was interested in seeing OnePlus gestures not sure why not on it?

One interesting point is that the 7T allows Android gestures with other launchers like Microsoft launcher whereas the pixel 3 XL did not. so maybe they are just using Android gesture system-wide on their new phones now?
You should check the gesture settings properly. OnePlus gestures is still there.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Are you referring to quick gestures? Oh those are the OP gestures? Yes those are cool. I thought it was a separate Navigation Bar gesture system as an alternative to 3 button or A10 swipe gestures?

I do not see that option on my OP 7T anywhere
No? Under navigation bars and gestures you should have 3 options there. The last one "Navigation gestures (bottom)". That's the one.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
No? Under navigation bars and gestures you should have 3 options there. The last one "Navigation gestures (bottom)". That's the one.
I only have 2 Nav options on that screen:

* Back, Home, Recent
Or
* Navigation Gestures

I'm in US on ATT Android 10 latest Sept security update if it matters?

Beneath that are custom settings and Intro with a video how to use A10 Nav gestures

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I only have 2 Nav options on that screen:

* Back, Home, Recent
Or
* Navigation Gestures

I'm in US on ATT Android 10 latest Sept security update if it matters?

Beneath that are custom settings and Intro with a video how to use A10 Nav gestures
Well that's odd. I don't have the 7T exactly but I have the 7 Pro on Android 10 so I assume it should be there....

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
someone earlier in the thread said that they could possibly write it back in if they wanted to but must have chosen not to. so perhaps it's possible it will be added again in a way that Android approves I guess.

Not too clear on why it's not there
I guess my confusion is that its there on the 7 Pro on Android 10. Just can't see a reason why its there but not on the 7T. It doesn't really make sense.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I guess my confusion is that its there on the 7 Pro on Android 10. Just can't see a reason why its there but not on the 7T. It doesn't really make sense.

Here is the quote from earlier regarding it... Since the Pro shipped with 9 it was already in. 7t ships with 10

Google mandates that all phones shipping with A10 only offer Google's gesture or classic 3-button navigation by default/during initial setup. Guess OnePlus decided it wasn't worth further developing their gestures if they'd only be a hidden option.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
The LG G8X with the second screen case bundle looks neat. I still wouldn't buy it because it's LG, but still.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
One UI 2 Beta (Android 10) on my S10 is quite good so far.

Apparently beta 1 had better animations, but it's still good to me.

It overall feels smoother in certain areas like pulling down notifications (it's weird saying because it's not like Android 9 ever lagged on this).

I like the dynamic wallpaper feature similar to what you get in windows 10. I set mine rotation to landscape photos. All of the photos look amazing on this screen.

I also like how we will still get a ton of choices for navigation. I'm using Samsung's version of the full screen gestures since I already use one handed operation+ for all the side gestures.

Oct 25, 2017
One UI 2 Beta (Android 10) on my S10 is quite good so far.

Apparently beta 1 had better animations, but it's still good to me.

It overall feels smoother in certain areas like pulling down notifications (it's weird saying because it's not like Android 9 ever lagged on this).

I like the dynamic wallpaper feature similar to what you get in windows 10. I set mine rotation to landscape photos. All of the photos look amazing on this screen.

I also like how we will still get a ton of choices for navigation. I'm using Samsung's version of the full screen gestures since I already use one handed operation+ for all the side gestures.

do the gestures work with other launchers like nova?

Heard that was an issue on pixel phones before 4 on 10

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
do the gestures work with other launchers like nova?

Heard that was an issue on pixel phones before 4 on 10

For the original Samsung navigation is works fine, but it's buggy occasionally. For the stock Android option that follows Google's where any swipe down goes to the home screen (or swiping an holding for the task changer), this one is definitely very buggy. TBH, I've used task changer the entire time, but it doesn't work right now on One UI 2.0, I've been using

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying my Pixel 4 XL so far. Battery is the same as my s9+ in terms of size but I feel like the phone lasts a long longer under use than the s9 did for whatever reason.

One weird thing about it though is a lot of issues I thought were "Android" issues seem to have just been "my Galaxy s9 issues." I could never use the search on this forum on my old phone because it would constantly lose focus/scroll around whenever I tapped it- not an issue on the pixel. The google assistant on my old phone would never skip tracks- which was annoying as fuck as I listen to music while cycling and also exercising at the gym when I can't necessarily touch my phone - not an issue on the pixel. No more accidental bixby button presses. No more accidentally tapping the curved screen edge with my palm and fucking up whatever i'm doing it at the time. An actual decent camera setup. The matte texture back feels so much better than the glossy/fingerprint greasy s9 back. And I'm not going to miss wiping my fingerprint sensor/getting pissed and just putting my pin in when it didn't work properly.

This is not mentioning how much better it performs in general but that's not really a fair comparison with a phone from last year. In general feels like a total upgrade. Really pleased with it.

A less important good feature is it actually takes decent photos in Snapchat but that's not really Samsung's fault.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Hey everyone!

So I've had a Samsung Galaxy S7 for what feels like forever, and I think it is finally time to upgrade. I don't upgrade often and I tend to gravitate towards weird stuff. Before this I had a Blackberry Priv and absolutely adored everything about it besides how god damn hot it ran. I don't like going on payment plans so I'd prefer to just buy a phone outright. $500ish is what I would like to spend, I could do a bit more if its worth it. The camera is def the most important aspect to me. Open to any and all suggestions.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Xiaomi is launching its first Mi branded smartwatch on November 5th in China

This will probably be made by Huami, the company behind the Mi Band and the Amazfit smartwatches.

They are also debuting the Xiaomi CC9 Pro (which will be sold as the Mi Note 10 outside China) and a new TV set during that same event.

Mi Note 10 will arrive on November 11 in Europe (Spain). Two variants: SD730 (quad camera) & SD855+ (penta camera).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My phone has been trying to update Chrome since last night, but is stuck at the "installing" stage. I tried deactivating Chrome, rebooting my phone, and reactivating Chrome, but that did not fix the issue. Anyone else having this problem?

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I may be getting a new phone today, probably the Pixel 4 or Note 10+

How much better is the camera on the Pixel vs the Note?

Is there a way to completely remove/disable Facebook apps on the Note 10?

I can't decide which phone I really want to get. :|

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may be getting a new phone today, probably the Pixel 4 or Note 10+

How much better is the camera on the Pixel vs the Note?

Is there a way to completely remove/disable Facebook apps on the Note 10?

I can't decide which phone I really want to get. :|
Pixel 4 camera is better for still shots, but you lose out on the wide angle camera. Also video options are much worse on Pixel. You can disable the facebook app on the Note 10+.

Pros of Pixel 4 XL:
-90hz refresh rate(ymmv, I can't notice a huge difference. Google throttles this pretty heavily too so to take advantage you would have to enable it to run full time in developer settings hurting battery life)
-Day 1 security and os updates(becoming less important nowadays as Android becomes more refined)
-Smaller than Note 10+
-No curved edges
-better still shots from the camera

Pros of Note 10+
-bigger, brighter, better quality screen with blue light reduction tech
-much better battery life
-wide angle camera and better video recording
-more premium build quality
-s-pen
-samsung pay

You would be getting the 4 XL and not the 4 right? I wouldn't recommend the normal 4 to anyone due to battery size. It really comes down to how much you value stock android and how much you would be paying for each, because both cameras are pretty good. Pixel camera is slightly better for still shots.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Pixel 4 camera is better for still shots, but you lose out on the wide angle camera. Also video options are much worse on Pixel. You can disable the facebook app on the Note 10+.

Pros of Pixel 4 XL:
-90hz refresh rate(ymmv, I can't notice a huge difference. Google throttles this pretty heavily too so to take advantage you would have to enable it to run full time in developer settings hurting battery life)
-Day 1 security and os updates(becoming less important nowadays as Android becomes more refined)
-Smaller than Note 10+
-No curved edges
-better still shots from the camera

Pros of Note 10+
-bigger, brighter, better quality screen with blue light reduction tech
-much better battery life
-wide angle camera and better video recording
-more premium build quality
-s-pen
-samsung pay

You would be getting the 4 XL and not the 4 right? I wouldn't recommend the normal 4 to anyone due to battery size. It really comes down to how much you value stock android and how much you would be paying for each, because both cameras are pretty good. Pixel camera is slightly better for still shots.

I would love stock Android, but I've heard the battery life is pretty bad. I also like the Pixel camera with Night Sight. I'll probably go with the 10 plus. Thanks for the info.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Another random question...

So I got a Note 10 + today, but it will not hide notification text. So if I have my phone locked and I get a text or whatever, it shows the text.

Under Settings>Lock Screen>Notifications it gives the options of Detail, Brief, or Icons only, but when it is set to Icons only, it still shows the text through the lock screen. I've rebooted, did a system update and other stuff, but it will not NOT show the text.

Any ideas?

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the Pixel 4XL for a week now, upgraded from a LG v30. I love it. The camera is amazing, stock Android is a revelation.

The battery has been fine, I sit at a desk all day so it's not a big deal to me, I can do a 20 minute quick charge if needed. Thought I would miss the fingerprint sensor on the rear, but face unlock is scary fast, but I really want it to be fixed to where I need to have my eyes open. Looking forward to what else they will do with the radar sensor.

My v30 can now be used strictly as a music device. Love the Hi-Fi quad dac on that thing. Again the camera on the Pixel 4 is awesome. the best I have had on a phone.

PgOHuPl.jpg

Last edited:

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
With the Pixel 4 and iPhone 11 dropping, my wife on a Galaxy S8 seems to be wanting an upgrade to "a better camera." I think the S8 is still a pretty good shooter and is a nice looking phone in its own right. I am wondering if a camera upgrade to possibly the Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, or Galaxy S10 or S10e would be noticeable. She doesn't use the phone for much more than web browsing, music, pictures, and video streaming, hence why I am throwing in the "mid-rangers" of the 3a and S10e. I know with Black Friday / Swappa these options may be around the same price range +/- $100 or so. Appreciate any input.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the Pixel 4 and iPhone 11 dropping, my wife on a Galaxy S8 seems to be wanting an upgrade to "a better camera." I think the S8 is still a pretty good shooter and is a nice looking phone in its own right. I am wondering if a camera upgrade to possibly the Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, or Galaxy S10 or S10e would be noticeable. She doesn't use the phone for much more than web browsing, music, pictures, and video streaming, hence why I am throwing in the "mid-rangers" of the 3a and S10e. I know with Black Friday / Swappa these options may be around the same price range +/- $100 or so. Appreciate any input.

If camera is the main upgrade, get the Pixel.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get the S10e

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The S10e is not a midranger. It's got flagship specs and a premium build, something that cannot be said about the Pixel 3a.

Get the S10e.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Still loving my S10e.
Reasonable battery, fast charging, great screen, great camera, small(er) size.

An update fairly recently fixed my only issues with it (accidental touch protection wasn't working right, but it is now).

Ive said it before, but it's the first phone I've had in a long time that I haven't felt the urge to upgrade again after a few months. Usually there's another phone with upgrades or better features, but nothing has been so much better to interest me.

Oct 27, 2017
I recently had my partner get the S10e because her previous phone was stolen. It was a toss up between it and the 3a. Seems super solid.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Check your Play Store balance.

Google seem to have changed when Promotional Credit (from Opinion Rewards) expires. It does actually expire now.