• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
New MIUI version with Android 10 is rolling out for Xiaomi MI9 in Europe (i just got it in germany). Don't know about 9T (Pro), SE and Lite though.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I did the workaround to enable RCS on my phone in the US, and finally convinced a friend to do the same.

I'm oddly excited to be able to message a single individual with somewhat better features.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of the Key2 LE as a second phone to use on Verizon and internationally with local SIMs.

299 right now at Best Buy.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, they never actually enforced the expiration before, but they are doing it now. The original dates still apply.
They never enforced it indeed; the expiration date was always auto-extended (although that might have been a regional thing).

It seems promotional credit now expires after 12 + 3 months over here (on the last day of the next quarter you earned it).

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Gmail dark mode alone is worth Android 10. I use dark mode for everything when possible. Probably the usual placebo update effect but my MI9 feels even faster and smoother now with Android 10. Still crazy how much phone you get for 300€ with the MI9 (and also T and Pro variants).

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
If only they put Android One on the actual good phones and not in the almost-throwaway models... I've been there, done that and I don't have the time or energy to babysit and micromanage MIUI constantly in order to have my notifications go through, or my apps not getting killed from RAM 10 seconds after not being in the foreground, and let's not start with all the "phone security" and "cleaning features" that do more harm that good, especially when dev houses with such a great track record as Cheetah Mobile are involved /s

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Got hold a a Oppo Reno 10x zoom today. This thing is lightening fast and the screen is marvelous it's my first time without bezels/notch/cutout and wow it would be hard to go back.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
If only they put Android One on the actual good phones and not in the almost-throwaway models... I've been there, done that and I don't have the time or energy to babysit and micromanage MIUI constantly in order to have my notifications go through, or my apps not getting killed from RAM 10 seconds after not being in the foreground, and let's not start with all the "phone security" and "cleaning features" that do more harm that good, especially when dev houses with such a great track record as Cheetah Mobile are involved /s
Nokia 9 is a SD845 Android One phone

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Nokia 9 is a SD845 Android One phone

Nah, fuck SD8xx phones, I got badly scalded by the LG G4 and Mi 5 barely having 3h SOT (which degraded to 2 and a bit after a year) per charge and I'm not making that mistake ever again. I'm currently rocking a Nokia 7 Plus since launch (a year and a half already) and it still has a full year of use ahead. I'm mostly pissed that it's going to be difficult to find a good replacement phone since the combination of Android One, 3700+ battery, SD6xx or 7xx, NFC and headphone jack is so rare.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, fuck SD8xx phones, I got badly scalded by the LG G4 and Mi 5 barely having 3h SOT (which degraded to 2 and a bit after a year) per charge and I'm not making that mistake ever again. I'm currently rocking a Nokia 7 Plus since launch (a year and a half already) and it still has a full year of use ahead. I'm mostly pissed that it's going to be difficult to find a good replacement phone since the combination of Android One, 3700+ battery, SD6xx or 7xx, NFC and headphone jack is so rare.
Nokia 7.2? Even though it is 3500 mAh.

SD808 was pure trash, true. 810 too.

Currently rocking a S8+ and battery life isn't that bad after 2 and a half years of heavy use.

I had a Lumia 950 before that, so not like I didn't have a SD808.

820 and higher are good.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
820 and higher are good.
The Mi5 was 820 and it was a dumpster fire. No matter how many ROMs I tried both AOSP-based or MIUI-based (including official MIUI), I would arrive at work with barely 60% battery left after a 1 hour commute so I would have to charge it or else the battery wouldn't survive the trip back. Reaching 15% meant the phone could die at any minute even if you didn't look at it, and pretty much forget about leaving home for an evening/night out without a portable battery since being indoors with shitty coverage and no wifi (restaurants, clubs...) would eat at the battery twice as fast.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The Mi5 was 820 and it was a dumpster fire. No matter how many ROMs I tried both AOSP-based or MIUI-based (including official MIUI), I would arrive at work with barely 60% battery left after a 1 hour commute so I would have to charge it or else the battery wouldn't survive the trip back. Reaching 15% meant the phone could die at any minute even if you didn't look at it, and pretty much forget about leaving home for an evening/night out without a portable battery since being indoors with shitty coverage and no wifi (restaurants, clubs...) would eat at the battery twice as fast.
Man, that's trash hardware besides the SoC. Galaxy S7's weren't that bad

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that's trash hardware besides the SoC. Galaxy S7's weren't that bad

There was something really fucked up with it because reading XDA, most people had a similar experience with it, and I had the regular non-Pro version with the downclocked CPU. I guess my best bet would be a Pixel 4a if they keep the 3a good stuff, but Google's pricing is rancid in Europe and it will be very appalling paying for it knowing I could get something much better or cheaper.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
At first glance, I was going to go for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G. But upon reading more & more about 5G in general, I think that it would be best to wait until the 3rd or the 4th generation 5G phones to come out in which 5G will be the standard (I'd say by 2021 or 2022).

By buying a 1st generation 5G phone, you're just being a beta tester/a guinea pig. Something like this article points it out.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Yeah, it's a pity. I was looking forward to the Mi A3, but that phone was a real dissapointment. I'm still on the fence on whether I should get a Mi 9T Pro but MIUI just turns me away from it. If it had Android One it would literally be the perfect smartphone for me. Hell, I'd settle for an Android One vanilla Mi 9T.

Makes me sad that when Google finally deigns to release a midrange Pixel, the hardware is such utter trash that it almost seems like a joke. Imagine a midrange Pixel with a SD730 and faster storage than what you get in a fucking Moto G.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I guess I received it the last week for my 9T in Spain
Not every Miui 11 update has android 10 though. Couple of models stayed with Android 9 although they got the MIUI 11 update. MI9 and 9T Pro have definitely Android 10, while others are reported as still having 9 but you can check it yourself.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Not every Miui 11 update has android 10 though. Couple of models stayed with Android 9 although they got the MIUI 11 update. MI9 and 9T Pro have definitely Android 10, while others are reported as still having 9 but you can check it yourself.

Yup, seems like it's still Android 9 in my case

Oct 25, 2017
black friday previews are popping out. As usual, some dope deals on samsung.

I believe pixel 4 is $200 off unlocked. $400**** or so off with carrier activation.

Return your pixel 4 if you bought it day 1 lol. They do this every year.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
black friday previews are popping out. As usual, some dope deals on samsung.

I believe pixel 4 is $200 off unlocked. $400**** or so off with carrier activation.

Return your pixel 4 if you bought it day 1 lol. They do this every year.
What's the good deals on Samsung phones? Haven't seen anything direct from them yet

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
At first glance, I was going to go for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G. But upon reading more & more about 5G in general, I think that it would be best to wait until the 3rd or the 4th generation 5G phones to come out in which 5G will be the standard (I'd say by 2021 or 2022).

By buying a 1st generation 5G phone, you're just being a beta tester/a guinea pig. Something like this article points it out.
The only 5G phones that are currently 'future proof' are from Huawei afaik. They are the only ones that support both standalone & non-standalone (SA/NSA) networks simultaneously. Every other 5G phone currently on the market (from Samsung, LG, Motorola, OnePlus, OPPO, Vivo, Xiaomi, ZTE) can only do non-standalone 5G. That will change in 2020 as dual-mode support will be the norm going forward.

The first 5G networks that are being rolled out in North America and Europe are NSA deployments, meaning that they are still aided by existing 4G infrastructure. They offer greater speeds and enable things like 4K UHD video streaming and AR & VR. Ultra-low latency and (much) higher capacity however will arrive with standalone 5G deployment, but that will require building a lot of new network infrastructure.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I ended up getting a Galaxy Tab S5e and I'm in love with this thing. This screen is fucking gorgeous and for what I plan on using it for (media consumption) it's fast enough.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
So happy I didn't bite on Pixel 4XL preorder, Google announcing the $200 off across the board from Nov 24 to Dec 2. Hoping Amazon, Best Buy or B&H add a gift card on top.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
My pixel 2 xl that I got when it came out has started to have some sort of screen tearing whenever I switch between apps or if I just hit the square to look at opened apps. It has also started feeling sluggish and sometimes stops or apps freez. I guess it's starting to show its age? Is there anything I can do to extend it's life?

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Mmmh... I'd gladly use the backup function of Google Photos, but there is no way to set it that it doesn't backup the videos ? They being 4K take FOREVER to upload and I don't care about it being backed up...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Mmmh... I'd gladly use the backup function of Google Photos, but there is no way to set it that it doesn't backup the videos ? They being 4K take FOREVER to upload and I don't care about it being backed up...

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be possible, since Google Photos backs up the Camera folder wholesale regardless of content.

You could try moving the videos to another non-backed up folder on your Phone as soon as you take them to keep them from getting backed up though.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, Dropbox has that toogle as well.

I'm pretty sure Google Photos used to have the toggle, but they removed it at some point (it still has the option when uploading via mobile data). They also used to have the option to start the backup only when your phone was connected to Wifi AND charging.

Classic Google.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure Google Photos used to have the toggle, but they removed it at some point (it still has the option when uploading via mobile data). They also used to have the option to start the backup only when your phone was connected to Wifi AND charging.

Classic Google.
That way they ensure ALL of your pictures and videos are uploaded as fast as possible for immediate data harvesting safekeeping.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Classic Google.
80% of people back up everything.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
Is the Note 8 still worth considering at this point? The more recent ones are too pricey unless there's some great Black Friday deals. But I saw a refurbished Note that has me considering it. The biggest drawback I can see it not getting newer versions but I don't care too much about that anyways. I've always wanted a Note and love big phones.

(Must be on carrier contract and in Canada)

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Note 8 still worth considering at this point? The more recent ones are too pricey unless there's some great Black Friday deals. But I saw a refurbished Note that has me considering it. The biggest drawback I can see it not getting newer versions but I don't care too much about that anyways. I've always wanted a Note and love big phones.

battery life... ain't ideal, but everything else isn't that much behind the note 9 and 10 imo. it really depends on that refurb price though, might be worth paying a bit more for a note 9 for the sizeable jump in battery.

Tokikko

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hello, recently i published a simple app on the google play store.

Basically you can view random cat pictures and some interesting facts about them. The problem is that i still can not find the app in the store if i search for it. I tried with both cat and cat professor as names but nothing show up and i came to the end of listed applications. Im not sure if i missed anything when i published the app but i can not fix this problem. Anyone can help?

Also i have made a simple web example (basically it is the same thing you just can not save favorites). The design is still not totally finished so the site is not responsive (you can only view it from desktop, if you go with a mobile phone it will look terrible).

https://cat-professor.herokuapp.com/home/

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017

The Note8 is still a great phone.
But try to get the Note 9 just to get Android 10 and OneUI 2.0 that the Note 8 won't get.

Oct 26, 2017
Hello, recently i published a simple app on the google play store.

Basically you can view random cat pictures and some interesting facts about them. The problem is that i still can not find the app in the store if i search for it. I tried with both cat and cat professor as names but nothing show up and i came to the end of listed applications. Im not sure if i missed anything when i published the app but i can not fix this problem. Anyone can help?

Also i have made a simple web example (basically it is the same thing you just can not save favorites). The design is still not totally finished so the site is not responsive (you can only view it from desktop, if you go with a mobile phone it will look terrible).

https://cat-professor.herokuapp.com/home/
Tips for common issues
  • When you publish an app or update, we let you know how long the review process should take before your changes can go live. If your update is taking longer than we indicated and you still haven't seen your changes on Google Play, troubleshoot your specific issue below.
  • If you want your app to be available and searchable on Google Play, make sure your app is published to production. If you're running a closed or internal test and want to make your app publicly available, create a production release.
Hope this helps!