• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is the S10+ worth upgrading my J7 to? Was thinking a Note but no 3.5mm killed my interest.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So is the S10+ worth upgrading my J7 to? Was thinking a Note but no 3.5mm killed my interest.

Absolutely, but at this point it might be worth it to wait for the S11 since it's probably coming out in like February and even if you don't buy the S11 (it probably won't have a headphone jack either) it'll bring the price of the S10+ even lower.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but at this point it might be worth it to wait for the S11 since it's probably coming out in like February and even if you don't buy the S11 (it probably won't have a headphone jack either) it'll bring the price of the S10+ even lower.

I don't think I can wait yet because this black friday is offering a really good deal for Sprint which we are thinking of changing to. My parents would get an S10 which would be free for the 2 year contract and the S10+ I'd get for 15 bucks a month.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I don't think I can wait yet because this black friday is offering a really good deal for Sprint which we are thinking of changing to. My parents would get an S10 which would be free for the 2 year contract and the S10+ I'd get for 15 bucks a month.

Oh, in that case, for sure go for it. It'll be an incredible upgrade.

Going from 720p to 1440p, from a SD615 to an 855, tons more RAM and an incredible set of cameras will be mind blowing.

Using an Android phone with 1.5GB of RAM in 2019 must've been painful.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, in that case, for sure go for it. It'll be an incredible upgrade.

Going from 720p to 1440p, from a SD615 to an 855, tons more RAM and an incredible set of cameras will be mind blowing.

Using an Android phone with 1.5GB of RAM in 2019 must've been painful.

You say 1440p and 720p but it looks like if I get Unlimited Basic, I can only use 480p at Sprint? Or is that just if i'm using Mobile?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
For those looking for a good discount on a great older android tablet, this might be worth checking out:

Galaxy Tab S4 has a excellent screen, long battery life, and good performance.

If you mainly use a tablet for web browsing, e-reading, and streaming, I think this is an excellent buy.

I've owned an 8 inch Galaxy Tab S2 in the past, it it was somehow one of the best mobile devices I've ever used... surprisingly because of it's performance
Thanks for the heads up. Left as soon as I read it for a Best Buy that showed one in stock. Got there, last one, and got the book cover.

I was looking for something to watch Netflix and what not during travel. Almost went for the Fire Tablet 10 until I read your post.

I was looking to get one with LTE, but at this price it's hard to pass up on.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
Pixel 3 is $349 new on Amazon right now. Wife is trying to decide between that or I can snag a 3a for $250 (+ $20 activation) on Fi. Wife values head phone jack, battery life, and the polycarbonate construction is a safe bet for her since she smashed the shit out of her S8 this week.

Just wondering if the $100 extra would be worth it for the Pixel 3 to get better performance and water resistance though....

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Pixel 3 is $349 new on Amazon right now. Wife is trying to decide between that or I can snag a 3a for $250 (+ $20 activation) on Fi. Wife values head phone jack, battery life, and the polycarbonate construction is a safe bet for her since she smashed the shit out of her S8 this week.

Just wondering if the $100 extra would be worth it for the Pixel 3 to get better performance and water resistance though....

I'd personally go for the Pixel 3. It's better in every way other than the lack of headphone jack (and maybe battery) . And the 3a isn't just hampered by the SD670; it also has ancient eMMC storage not even Moto Gs use anymore. Performance is not going to be pretty on that phone in a couple of years.

Google really skimped on the 3a series, probably because the high end Pixels are generally such a bad value that if they'd made the 3as any better there'd be no reason to buy the regular Pixels ever.

Watch the Pixel 4a have a notch and a massive chin, a plastic screen, a SD675 with 4GB of RAM, smaller batteries than the 3a, all for more money than the 3a.

Last edited:

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
Pixel 4/XL is $250 CAD off on Canada Google Store (https://store.google.com/ca/product/pixel_4). I pulled the trigger on a 4 XL myself (64 GB, Black, $879 CAD + tax).

Promotion starts November 24, 2019 at 12am PT and ends December 02, 2019 at 11:59pm PT, while supplies last and subject to availability. Offer available only to Canadian residents aged 18 years or older with Canadian shipping addresses. Purchase must be made on Google Store Canada. Unless otherwise stated, this offer cannot be combined with other offers. Offer is non-transferable and not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Void where prohibited.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

You're better off trying to buy a S8, S9, or S10e.

Heck, maybe a S8 or S9 Active. They are tough.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
You're better off trying to buy a S8, S9, or S10e.

Heck, maybe a S8 or S9 Active. They are tough.

Well, 99% of the time her S8 was in a case. She put it in her running arm band without the case and then proceeded to put her band on upside down and thus the phone fell out on pavement. Needless to say, her next phone is never leaving a case....

I know there is a lot of justifiable hate for Pixels, but she definitely wants the Pixel camera in some capacity. She can get by with 4GB of RAM no problem.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
I never realize how much battery life nova launcher consume..well any launcher actually. Like I can get 8+ hours SOT using the stock One UI, but when using nova I get around 5-6 hours only. Is that normal?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nova consumed minimal CPU cycles and battery percentage when I used it last (before A10). What does your battery breakdown show?

I really wish the stock launcher had some way of grouping apps in the app drawer. Tabbed groups are what I miss most from Nova.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I been trying hours to do something about my Samsung TAB A it won't let me move ANY APPS to SD, supposedly some of them should be able to move but there is no option besides formating, no option to use card as internal storage either, nothing.i had a Lenovo that let me use SD for storage and it was cool but i returned it for the Samsung when it had a price cut 🥺

I even tried rooting but it didn't worked only made the tablet slower

Hunting a good tablet has been a nightmare

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I been trying hours to do something about my Samsung TAB A it won't let me move ANY APPS to SD, supposedly some of them should be able to move but there is no option besides formating, no option to use card as internal storage either, nothing.i had a Lenovo that let me use SD for storage and it was cool but i returned it for the Samsung when it had a price cut 🥺

The only good tablets released in the last 3 years are Surface Pros and iPads unfortunately

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Enable developer options and debugging
  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. (Only on Android 8.0 or higher) Select System.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and select About phone.
  4. Scroll to the bottom and tap Build number 7 times.
  5. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options near the bottom.

Then you can force it to allow you to move apps to SD.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Enable developer options and debugging

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. (Only on Android 8.0 or higher) Select System.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and select About phone.
  4. Scroll to the bottom and tap Build number 7 times.
  5. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options near the bottom.

Then you can force it to allow you to move apps to SD.
I found Developer Options and it says these
Log outpout level
Show TTS outpout
Node Tree debugging

but idk what they mean

Edit: oh it says developer mode has been turned on now what do i do

Last edited:

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Nova consumed minimal CPU cycles and battery percentage when I used it last (before A10). What does your battery breakdown show?

I really wish the stock launcher had some way of grouping apps in the app drawer. Tabbed groups are what I miss most from Nova.

Nova is always high on the CPU usage.
I went back and forth with Nova and One UI, and battery life is a beast with when using One UI. Today I'll probably get near 10 hour SOT.
I'm 5 hour SOT with 50 percent battery left. It would be almost dead if I use Nova or Microsoft launcher.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Sprint thing and S10+ was a bust.

Turns out you cant go from Virgin Mobile to Sprint and it be considered a new line (Which I was told the other day by Best Buy.)

So back to Square 1.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Received my OnePlus 7 Pro yesterday and I'm really liking this. Still getting used to Android and how to navigate around but so far so good.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Does google drive have some sort of DRM on their downloads? I sent back my original phone via RMA and before doing so I uploaded my music library to Drive to redownload on the replacement. The files play fine on the Drive app (streaming) but when I download it none of my music players can find them in their libraries. I've tried both Power Amp and Play Music. I can play the downloaded music file fine if I search it through a file explorer but I just can't get the music to be scanned into my music library. Am I missing something?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ Google. I've bought a Nest cam for when I go away, great. So I download the app and set everything up. Then my watch pipes up and says "Hey, wanna install the Nest app here too?" Sure! Takes me to the Play store and installs. I boot it up to see what it can do from my watch:

"The Nest app for Google Wear has been discontinued. Please uninstall"

Just fucking remove it from the store then. You own Nest. You're the same company.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Jesus fucking christ Google. I've bought a Nest cam for when I go away, great. So I download the app and set everything up. Then my watch pipes up and says "Hey, wanna install the Nest app here too?" Sure! Takes me to the Play store and installs. I boot it up to see what it can do from my watch:

"The Nest app for Google Wear has been discontinued. Please uninstall"

Just fucking remove it from the store then. You own Nest. You're the same company.

That sounds like the most Google thing in the world, jeez.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
My pixel 2's battery reached new lows while on a trip yesterday so I have finally given in and ordered a new phone. Was hoping to wait a year until the Pixel 5 but the battery is just so shit on this thing

Ended up ordering a OnePlus 7T, this is the first time will have a OnePlus phone so am really hoping it lives up to the hype these things get! (and also that the gcam apk works well on it too!)

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
TMOs 5G just went live an hour ago. Looks like I have full coverage in my area but the new devices won't be selling until Dec 6.

The options are the Oneplus Maclaren and Note 10+ 5G, with the Note 10+ 56 being 1300 or 36/mo for 36 months with a trade-in discount up to 650.

I've been on S10+ since March on the Jump plan. I think it's time to check out the 5G service.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
TMOs 5G just went live an hour ago. Looks like I have full coverage in my area but the new devices won't be selling until Dec 6.

The options are the Oneplus Maclaren and Note 10+ 5G, with the Note 10+ 56 being 1300 or 36/mo for 36 months with a trade-in discount up to 650.

I've been on S10+ since March on the Jump plan. I think it's time to check out the 5G service.
That's a pretty impressive map coming from a Verizon user. I went with the S10+ as well. After getting one of the first 4G phones when the service was pretty new, I figured I would wait at least a cycle.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
That's a pretty impressive map coming from a Verizon user. I went with the S10+ as well. After getting one of the first 4G phones when the service was pretty new, I figured I would wait at least a cycle.

I went to the store to confirm pricing for Jump program because the jump program is funky af.

normal price is 1300 or 36/mo
Jump is 250 down with 42 a month wtf

I think it is time to get out of the Jump program. It used to be that the jump program was awesome but now that hardware change is less significant, it's pretty damn useless.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered an Orange Pixel 4 XL from Best Buy sunday open box for $657... Got a regular Pixel 4. The best part is, the phone box has a "inspected by Best Buy" seal on it and a Pixel 4 XL price tag on it. Now the XL is sold out everywhere in Orange and the sale is over. Called best buy and they said they have to escalate it to a special team. I'm screwed aren't I? :(

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

They also have a B1G1 sale on the Note 10 but it requires a $550 security deposit plus tax on both phones for a total of $300 tax on both phones due at time of purchase. Then it's $31 x 24 months. Screw that shit.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last night, I looked up the Pixel XL update and saw that it was no longer going to get security updates after this month. Why even bother giving it Android 10 then if it was only going to be for 3 months?

In a quick panic for last minute Cyber Monday, I ended up buying a Pixel 3a XL w/ protection plan for $500. I'm just not ready yet to spend $1000 on another phone. I know enough about the 3a XL to be excited about the battery life, camera, and the e-sim. Worst case scenario, I can buy a new flagship next fall. 500/9 months is $55, if I buy a new phone next fall. Not too bad. Also, I still have a fucking headphone jack with the 3a!

Anyone else go from the Pixel to the 3A? What's your experience been?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Last night, I looked up the Pixel XL update and saw that it was no longer going to get security updates after this month. Why even bother giving it Android 10 then if it was only going to be for 3 months?

In a quick panic for last minute Cyber Monday, I ended up buying a Pixel 3a XL w/ protection plan for $500. I'm just not ready yet to spend $1000 on another phone. I know enough about the 3a XL to be excited about the battery life, camera, and the e-sim. Worst case scenario, I can buy a new flagship next fall. 500/9 months is $55, if I buy a new phone next fall. Not too bad. Also, I still have a fucking headphone jack with the 3a!

Anyone else go from the Pixel to the 3A? What's your experience been?

Pixel 3a XL should be a hair faster than the OG Pixel, and of course the camera is a lot better. I guess the most noticeable difference at a glance would be the lower screen resolution on the 3aXL.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pixel 3a XL should be a hair faster than the OG Pixel, and of course the camera is a lot better. I guess the most noticeable difference at a glance would be the lower screen resolution on the 3aXL.
I don't have the best eyes, so I don't mind the lower resolution, especially on a smaller screen such as a phone. I'll take battery life over resolution any day. I'm not a power user as far as playing games or doing anything too intensive with my phone, so I was already still happy with my OG Pixel. It will be interesting if I notice a difference with the 3a. Thanks.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
My mom is interested in a new phone. She really doesn't use it for much other than one game and call/text. The phone she has now is a LG K8, she is happy with it apart from it only has 16gb of storage, and that one game happens to fill up nearly the entire internal storage, causing issues with updates and other things.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on phones that are on the lower-end budget-wise (though she was looking at an LG G8 for ~$400 on amazon), just because she really doesn't need anything fancy. Another thing is she's with US Cellular, and she would prefer to stay with them. She probably would have bought the LG G8 but we aren't sure if USCell. will accept that phone, and they were no help in clearing up that matter.

If ya'll got any advice, it'd be appreciated.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My mom is interested in a new phone. She really doesn't use it for much other than one game and call/text. The phone she has now is a LG K8, she is happy with it apart from it only has 16gb of storage, and that one game happens to fill up nearly the entire internal storage, causing issues with updates and other things.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on phones that are on the lower-end budget-wise (though she was looking at an LG G8 for ~$400 on amazon), just because she really doesn't need anything fancy. Another thing is she's with US Cellular, and she would prefer to stay with them. She probably would have bought the LG G8 but we aren't sure if USCell. will accept that phone, and they were no help in clearing up that matter.

Nokia offers budget phones with solid performance/design and pretty good software support. Not sure how far along US Cellular is with migrating off of CDMA though. Motorola might be the better choice. The Pixel 3a is another option, although you may have to search for a good deal.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

G8 ThingQ is there

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Nokia offers budget phones with solid performance/design and pretty good software support. Not sure how far along US Cellular is with migrating off of CDMA though. Motorola might be the better choice. The Pixel 3a is another option, although you may have to search for a good deal.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think she may switch off US Cell. and go for somebody else. Nearly every "unlocked" phone we come across does not list US Cell. as compatible. As people who aren't well-versed in this cell-phone service racket, it's very frustrating not being able to find this information easily.

Correct, though they don't specify if they allow the unlocked version. They sell the same phone for $800 vs. Amazon's $400 (It lists nearly every carrier but USC. This is what's giving us pause, and calling the two outlets here didn't help.

Sorry guys, we're complete cellphone-service noobs and have never really had to deal with buying unlocked phones.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered an Orange Pixel 4 XL from Best Buy sunday open box for $657... Got a regular Pixel 4. The best part is, the phone box has a "inspected by Best Buy" seal on it and a Pixel 4 XL price tag on it. Now the XL is sold out everywhere in Orange and the sale is over. Called best buy and they said they have to escalate it to a special team. I'm screwed aren't I? :(

Just an update on this, I don't even care about getting another XL anymore. I just want my money back. Best Buy is blaming me for this and wiped their hands of it after I called them. They sent me an email this morning that they "closed their investigation and that I can not receive a refund of replacement for this order". I went to the store, and I can't return it because they apparently closed off the order. I'm at a loss for words.

So basically, purchased a Pixel 4 XL open box for $700 after tax, received a regular Pixel 4 Open box, can't get my money back because best buy said it's my fault.

Time for a chargeback/dispute I guess?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just an update on this, I don't even care about getting another XL anymore. I just want my money back. Best Buy is blaming me for this and wiped their hands of it after I called them. They sent me an email this morning that they "closed their investigation and that I can not receive a refund of replacement for this order". I went to the store, and I can't return it because they apparently closed off the order. I'm at a loss for words.

So basically, purchased a Pixel 4 XL open box for $700 after tax, received a regular Pixel 4 Open box, can't get my money back because best buy said it's my fault.

Time for a chargeback/dispute I guess?
Absolutely.