• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
I've got a Huawei P20 Pro and would like to upgrade.

My initial upgrade path was the P30 Pro but I don't want to risk going with Huawei again due to frankly ridiculous state of affairs.

Being based in the UK, I understand that the Pixel 4/4XL have important features such as Google assistant not working.

This leaves me with Samsung's uninspired design. Any ideas what if there are any other decent flagship phones out there?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2017

My initial upgrade path was the P30 Pro but I don't want to risk going with Huawei again due to frankly ridiculous state of affairs.

Being based in the UK, I understand that the Pixel 4/4XL have important features such as Google assistant not working.

This leaves me with Samsung's uninspired design. Any ideas what if there are any other decent flagship phones out there?

Thanks
New assistant is rolling out outside of the US now- and if you set assistant language to US english it works as the new one anyway

pochi

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks
Oneplus 7T/Pro but if you can hold for about 2/3 months you can get the S11.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Thanks

At this point I'd wait for the S11 and Oneplus 8. It's not like the P20 Pro is old or anything, so you could probably hold out a few months and get a Snapdragon 865 phone.

If you feel that you must absolutely switch right now, then I'd get the OnePlus 7 Pro or the 7T, but other than the software experience and 90Hz display they won't be much of an upgrade and in some departments (namely camera and maybe battery life they'll actually be downgrades).

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
OPPO is doing some interesting things with the camera. The OPPO Reno 2/10x Zoom are the best-looking devices on the market.

The ROG Phone II is also worth looking into if the camera isn't your main priority. You won't find a phone with better performance and battery life in 2019.

Last edited:

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
It's disappointing as I just am not sold on any phone like i was on P20 Pro.

To someone that understands the Huawei situation better, is it likely to improve or should I just forget about the brand?

Also I forgot to mention I am limited to what EE offers as I am with them.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone else who updated their S10 is annoyed that the home screen and lock screen are tinted, long press dark mode in the notifcation bar until you reach the options and turn off dark mode for wallpapers. You can also find it by searching dark mode in the settings.

The new gestures for android 10/one ui 2 are great. Much better than the previous iteration.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
If anyone else who updated their S10 is annoyed that the home screen and lock screen are tinted, long press dark mode in the notifcation bar until you reach the options and turn off dark mode for wallpapers. You can also find it by searching dark mode in the settings.

The new gestures for android 10/one ui 2 are great. Much better than the previous iteration.
I don't notice the difference between the dark/light wallpaper option.

Haven't tried the new gestures yet. Have been sticking with the swipe up so far.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

To someone that understands the Huawei situation better, is it likely to improve or should I just forget about the brand?

Forget the brand going forward. Only if the embargo is lifted then maybe.

And you can use any LTE phone with EE. It isn't like in the US. Just buy unlocked.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for something that can turn down the in-call volume when using headsets. It way too loud on the lowest setting and it's not possible to lower it more. The volume control turns orange so you can't get it as low as all the other volume controls.

Anyone have any solution for this? I'd really like to use headsets when I call, but I can't when the volume is this high. I have a Galaxy S9+

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
OPPO is doing some interesting things with the camera. The OPPO Reno 2/10x Zoom are the best-looking devices on the market.

The ROG Phone II is also worth looking into if the camera isn't your main priority. You won't find a phone with better performance and battery life in 2019.

Trying to sell/swap my 10x Zoom but not getting a bite due to nobody knowing who Oppo are, it's crazy.

I am wanting to get a S10 purely because I have a Samsung Watch and Samsung Buds.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
sorry if this isn't the right place for this.

i have a Pixel 3A XL and every so often my charger will freak out. when i plug it in it takes a few seconds for the phone to recognize i've plugged the charger in. after another couple seconds it thinks there is no charger in. this keeps repeating. it recognizes and forgets.

this first happened a couple weeks after i got the phone (in June) but it went away so i thought nothing of it. a couple months ago it happened again. i tried charging my phone with my Switch charger and also plugged it into my PC's USB-C port. it didn't fast charge but it was charging no problem. i thought maybe it's just the charger so Google sent me out a replacement but nope that didn't fix it.

i found that restarting the phone fixed the problem temporarily. after a restart it would fast charge just fine. at the time i was on the beta version of Android 10. when that officially released the problem went away. but now since i got the December patch the issue is back. i've just been using my Anker charger for the last week with no problem (except slow charging times) because i can't be annoyed restarting my phone all the time or trying a clean install.

i'm pretty sure it's a software issue. the USB-C port charges fine and i can connect USB drives to it no problem.

is there anyone else with this issue? is there any fix? or do i just need to wait and hope that the next patch fixes whatever is broken.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks

Xperia

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So is there any way outside of setting streaming quality to "very high" on Spotify to make it sound better? I don't know why, but if I play a song on Apple Music and the same song on Spotify I get such a huge difference in quality it's rather shocking. There's way more clarity and a wider soundstage using Apple Music over Spotify and I don't really know why. I'm using Sennheiser Momentum's 3.0 so it's not like it's a codec issue or something like that.

Am I missing a setting or is there some kind of hack to this? Is Spotify deliberately serving a lower quality under "very high" on mobile in some weird forced data saving mode or something? Can I force a hidden function to get an "extreme" quality?
I finally found out what causes this. It's Spotify's "normalize" function that's on by default. It aims to make music sound generally the same in levels. But it just makes everything sound more muted. Turn it off.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017

Thanks
Xiaomi MI 9 / MI 9T Pro or in February /March 2020 the upcoming MI 10
Oneplus 7 (Pro)

Last edited:

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal

Hi. Sorry, a bit late to reply here.

I work for them and AFAIK you can just buy the P30 Pro without any regrets. You will get all updates as usual and can access the Play Store as usual, today and in the future. In fact, Android 10 is in beta for the P30 series so the release is coming up shortly. Everything normal there.

As far as upgrading from the P20 Pro, you'll notice a slight increase in battery, a nice increase in low light photography and optical zoom capacity, as well as an improved screen and overall design as there is no button anymore. But you won't see that huge a difference.

You could just wait for the S11/new wave of 2020 phones, including or excluding the P40 depending on where things go.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
so the S10 lite and the Note 10 lite will be shown next month at CES. I wonder if these will be released in the US with the S11 announcement not far after. these flat screen phones have got me interested since the new S11s will all have curved screens and dropped the "e" option on favor of the plain S11, the S11 Plus, and the S11 Pro.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've vowed that I'm sticking with my S10 for as long as possible, but the promise of phones next year with 120hz screens, bigger batteries, improved fingerprint scanning (over larger area), at least 5x optical zoom, 4K 120 FPS recording, UFS 3.0 more standard, and the performance improvements have my attention.

I guess after this other than developments with 5G, a major thing to look forward to is microled in phones. I believe that's another 3 to 4 years out.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if there's an app suggestion thread, but I'm looking to change things up with my music player app. Can anyone recommend a music player app that is preferably ad-free, looks nice, and lets me choose the music folder? The stock music app is almost perfect, but I can't select a music folder in it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if there's an app suggestion thread, but I'm looking to change things up with my music player app. Can anyone recommend a music player app that is preferably ad-free, looks nice, and lets me choose the music folder? The stock music app is almost perfect, but I can't select a music folder in it.
Retro Music Player and Blackplayer. Retro has premium features, and Blackplayer has its premium features tucked away in a separate app called Blackplayer Ex. In any combination, these two are the best music apps I've come across since I've been on Android Currently using Retro myself, but I might migrate back to Black at some point.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Pixel 4a (xl) anyone?

google just can't make up their mind in regards to their designs. Bigger "forehead" on the regular 4, now a cutout on the budget version. Square rear camera for one Lense? I get their trying to make it look like it belongs with the 4 series, but then keep the bigger forehead too, or keep the single lense cutout on the rear to make it look symmetrical with the single lense at the front.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blah, my Pixel 3's screen got scratched up when I was home visiting with my family and playing with the dogs. This is the first smart phone I've owned that's taken any screen damage and I'm so annoyed. I was looking at having the screen replaced but that's going to be around $230. Anyone have any experience with any other options or have any other more reasonable suggestions? Not sure I want to live with how scratched up it is until next cycle =/

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Blah, my Pixel 3's screen got scratched up when I was home visiting with my family and playing with the dogs. This is the first smart phone I've owned that's taken any screen damage and I'm so annoyed. I was looking at having the screen replaced but that's going to be around $230. Anyone have any experience with any other options or have any other more reasonable suggestions? Not sure I want to live with how scratched up it is until next cycle =/

Problem with most modern OLED screens is that the way the display is laminated into the glass, so it's impossible to replace the front glass alone. You have to replace the whole panel.

iFixit lists the price of a spare display at around $140 so maybe you could try your hand at doing it yourself or getting someone to do it for you if you give them the parts.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem with most modern OLED screens is that the way the display is laminated into the glass, so it's impossible to replace the front glass alone. You have to replace the whole panel.

iFixit lists the price of a spare display at around $140 so maybe you could try your hand at doing it yourself or getting someone to do it for you if you give them the parts.
Hmm thanks for that. Looks like it's out of stock right now =/

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Anyone moved from a regular S9 to an S10e? Everything seems like an upgrade apart from the screen, so am I likely to notice much difference? Already got a decent deal on the 10e but I'm not sure whether to open it and commit.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Retro Music Player and Blackplayer. Retro has premium features, and Blackplayer has its premium features tucked away in a separate app called Blackplayer Ex. In any combination, these two are the best music apps I've come across since I've been on Android Currently using Retro myself, but I might migrate back to Black at some point.
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried Retro Music Player and it works well for what I need. It's a bit backwards in that specific folders have to be blacklisted, but it gets the results I need. And it looks great too.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
Hi. Sorry, a bit late to reply here.

I work for them and AFAIK you can just buy the P30 Pro without any regrets. You will get all updates as usual and can access the Play Store as usual, today and in the future. In fact, Android 10 is in beta for the P30 series so the release is coming up shortly. Everything normal there.

As far as upgrading from the P20 Pro, you'll notice a slight increase in battery, a nice increase in low light photography and optical zoom capacity, as well as an improved screen and overall design as there is no button anymore. But you won't see that huge a difference.

You could just wait for the S11/new wave of 2020 phones, including or excluding the P40 depending on where things go.
Thanks for the insight. I have now changed phones and was very tempted by the P30 Pro but ultimately decided against it.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Outlook works good except it messes up my work email. Might be my company tho. Also, can be buggy sometimes when you click on a notification and it doesn't take you to the email.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
to beta test their next phones

Their next phones are likely going to have a 120hz 1440P display with different (better) cameras a new (better) processor, and 5G capabilities.

What are they beta testing? The new design aesthetic? It looks like the Galaxy S10 Lite is larger (meaning harder to hold) than the Galaxy S10. It also has a significantly bigger battery. But it's not like they're going to have time to change anything - this gets announced in a month...

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Their next phones are likely going to have a 120hz 1440P display with different (better) cameras a new (better) processor, and 5G capabilities.

What are they beta testing? The new design aesthetic? It looks like the Galaxy S10 Lite is larger (meaning harder to hold) than the Galaxy S10. It also has a significantly bigger battery. But it's not like they're going to have time to change anything - this gets announced in a month...
updated super steady cam with the new shifting lens. the higher megapixel sensor which might be the same sensor on the S20 and S20+.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 4 recently to pair with my OnePlus 3 and I'm pretty amazed with it, for the price. £35 (£40 delivered) and it does everything I need a smart band/watch to do.

Notifications (the main reason I bought it), sleep tracking, heart rate monitor, exercise tracking, steps tracking, weather, music controls - and it's waterproof.

The battery life is great, too. I've been wearing it for 3 days now, and playing around with it more due to the novelty, and it's still on 77% battery, even with sleep tracking on which supposedly decreases battery life.

Besides more accurate or in-depth exercise tracking, which isn't a huge deal for me, I'm not sure if there's much else a more expensive watch could offer.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are fancy apps which could give you stats of your battery life period? My Huawei Y9 2019 (btw this thing rocks at battery life) give useful info but it's barely a graph, I want get numbers and trends. I try look at Google but I only find apps which to manage the battery life, and I don't want that.