• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
hmmm i see galaxy folds 'like new' on ebay for like $1500 and below.

Amazon is selling a 'renewed' with 90 day return window for around that price too.

Should I get one?

20200108_120224.jpg

played with one at best buy and its surprisingly solid build.

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal
played with one at best buy and its surprisingly solid build.

It is surprisingly well built! My main thoughts were exactly this after playing with the fold and the Mate foldable as well.

When I put my hands on them for the first time, that was the main surprise. Both very well built, sturdy, didn't feel at all they would break ou anything of the sort in the long term.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I just flashed Android 10 on my ancient Nexus 6. Seems to run fine. This phone has run 6 different versions of Android.

I don't think I've ever owned any sort of device that has run so many versions of an OS. Insanity what the Custom ROM community can do when a device is popular.

Oct 25, 2017
pixel 4 xl 64gb was $614 on amazon today.

I got in quick and got it price matched at best buy which also had a $200 gift card promo with purchase.

Guess ill return the pixel 3a xl I bought for a backup phone.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pixel 4 xl 64gb was $614 on amazon today.

I got in quick and got it price matched at best buy which also had a $200 gift card promo with purchase.

Guess ill return the pixel 3a xl I bought for a backup phone.
I tried. Unfortunately they wouldn't price match the white with the gc as best buy wasn't offering gc with that color. Ended up getting black for like $669 plus the $200 gc

Oct 25, 2017
I tried. Unfortunately they wouldn't price match the white with the gc as best buy wasn't offering gc with that color. Ended up getting black for like $669 plus the $200 gc

still not bad.

Still not sure if I'll keep it or not. At the very least I can trade this in for ~$600 for a S20, if samsung does similar preorder promos this year as before.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still not bad.

Still not sure if I'll keep it or not. At the very least I can trade this in for ~$600 for a S20, if samsung does similar preorder promos this year as before.
They probably will. They always do lol how are you finding it so far? Haven't had a chance to use mine yet. Main concern of mine is lack of fingerprint

Oct 25, 2017
They probably will. They always do lol how are you finding it so far? Haven't had a chance to use mine yet. Main concern of mine is lack of fingerprint

Getting mine tomorrow morning from delivery so dont know yet.

I'm mostly concerned about the completely imbalanced bezels when watching videos. Always the most irritating thing about pixel phones. They don't even try.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting mine tomorrow morning from delivery so dont know yet.

I'm mostly concerned about the completely imbalanced bezels when watching videos. Always the most irritating thing about pixel phones. They don't even try.
Seems like it's basically same as the 2XL as far as video viewing without the horrible blue tinted grainy screen lol

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it's basically same as the 2XL as far as video viewing without the horrible blue tinted grainy screen lol

Still bummed they didn't keep the notch. Apple figured out how to stuff a bunch of sensors up there years ago just fine. pixel 3xl had a distinctive look that they never really capitalize on, software wise. Could have stuffed a double decker bus of notification bar up there or something.

Anyhow for $600* I think the pixel is worth it. It has always felt like a oneplus tier phone that they charge the price of samsung/apple for some reason.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still bummed they didn't keep the notch. Apple figured out how to stuff a bunch of sensors up there years ago just fine. pixel 3xl had a distinctive look that they never really capitalize on, software wise. Could have stuffed a double decker bus of notification bar up there or something.

Anyhow for $600* I think the pixel is worth it. It has always felt like a oneplus tier phone that they charge the price of samsung/apple for some reason.
I actually have a pixel 3 XL and a pixel 3a right now. Been using the 3a primarily and been enjoying the smaller footprint of it, but speed and front facing camera are it's weak spots. 3XL notch is giant to the point where it's kind of embarrassing to pull out in front of people lol I might go back to the 3XL for better front facing cam and speed though. 4XL seems to have alot of downgrades from the 3xl like no more full res photo uploads and no more dual front cam. I mainly got the 4XL to test out if the extra ram helps, but not a fan of lack of fingerprint sensor. That's going to be a pita for google pay and online banking apps until they use face unlock on Android.

$500-$600 is definitely the right price for this phone since it uses outdated tech and materials. I'd say OnePlus has it beat for hardware quality. If only their camera software was better.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
superstars. on Twitter is reporting that the S20 and S20+ will have a new 12mp main sensor while the S20 Ultra gets the 108mp beast sensor.

the S10 Lite's 48mp sensor and lower price are really looking good right now.

shame Samsung hasn't showed a mid-high end phone with a small footprint like the S10E.

Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Samsung Galaxy S8 here. It's on the latest AT&T provided Android 9 firmware. I was unable to download updates from Google Play Store, and after a lot of troubleshooting, I ended up factory resetting it. A while after I started it back up, I got a message saying I needed to update the time zones by restarting the phone. After restarting, I'm able to download updates. However, the time zone message keeps coming up about once a day, and I'm unable to update again until I restart. Any advice? I'll provide more information if needed.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If one of you guys are interested in buying the $200 Best Buy gc I got with the Pixel 4 XL, I listed it in the BST thread for $180

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I really don't see the need for the S20+ if it's basically the same as the S20 but a 0.3" increase in screen size. the S20 Ultra is a welcome beast though.

the included 5G is probably why Samsung isn't coming out with a smaller S10E follow up. the battery drain is probably terrible with 5G. hope we get a smaller form factor with that 108mp camera in the future.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see the need for the S20+ if it's basically the same as the S20 but a 0.3" increase in screen size. the S20 Ultra is a welcome beast though.

the included 5G is probably why Samsung isn't coming out with a smaller S10E follow up. the battery drain is probably terrible with 5G. hope we get a smaller form factor with that 108mp camera in the future.
From what I've heard the s20 is the successor to the s10e, the s20+ is the successor to s10, and s20 ultra is the successor to s10+.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of 4g variant, even if it comes later.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I hate that the s10e won't have a direct successor. I really liked it's size.
It had the same size screen as my OP5T, but in a smaller package.
Now the S20 has the same width, but it is much longer.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Infinity-O displays hope that the next Note will not ship with that shit

I like the Motorola Razr, finally a foldable phone that's not a tablet... but the price :(

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Too many camera's, assorted in a horrible camera island, and you get a nice pimple in your screen as well. Weird that the OnePlus 7 Pro is almost a year old and still ahead of the game.

Looks like we're headed for another skip year in smartphoneland.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this year's Xperia will bring back the headphone jack. Simmer bezels with front stereo speakers.

1+8 coming in hot with a 120hz display:

Now these are the things I wanted to hear rather than the Samsung above. The 120Hz screen for the S20 still seems to be a rumour, so I'll keep my eyes on these for now. Xperia having a headphone jack is nice, shame I can't have both the 120Hz and the jack.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The S20 Ultra looks interesting with the camera.

I still can't believe Qualcomm went with an external modem only for the 865. I can't shake the belief that they did it so Apple could use the same X55 modem on the 2020 5G iPhone.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
Now these are the things I wanted to hear rather than the Samsung above. The 120Hz screen for the S20 still seems to be a rumour, so I'll keep my eyes on these for now. Xperia having a headphone jack is nice, shame I can't have both the 120Hz and the jack.
It's rumor to have 4000+ mah battery, maybe it will be used to power the120hz display. 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually kinda wacky that basically every Samsung phone now has the same look, in terms of s20, s10/note 10 lite and the recent a series.

Infinity o + the camera island on the back.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hate that the s10e won't have a direct successor. I really liked it's size.
It had the same size screen as my OP5T, but in a smaller package.
Now the S20 has the same width, but it is much longer.
Probably going to have to wait for the A phones later this year for a S10e followup, S20 line is just the S10-S10 5G sequel, which is a bummer. I was looking for ward to a potential S(11)20e that had the size of the S10e, but the look of the S10. I would've hopped all over that with triple cameras and an in-screen fingerprint reader.

Now, I'm either going to wait for a regular Note 10 follow up since it's the same size as the S10, or just wait for next year to bother upgrading.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
More S20 bits:

• The display resolution comes in at 3,200 x 1,440 pixels. This is because of the taller 20:9 aspect ratio.
  • The in-display fingerprint sensor is ultrasonic, not optical.
  • The display will refresh at a rate of 120Hz. There will also be a settings toggle to turn this feature on or off.
  • The 120Hz refresh rate is locked to a 1080p resolution, so you'll need to choose between 60Hz at 1440p or 120Hz at 1080p.
  • The Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus will support 25W charging and come with a 25W charging brick in the box.
  • The model obtained by the leaker comes with 11GB of RAM (likely to be marketed as 12GB). There is 128GB of onboard storage.
  • The rated battery capacity of the Galaxy S20 Plus is 4,500mAh.

The video (15 secs) is at this link: https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-plus-hands-on-1074763/. The locked refresh rate is kiiinda wack, but I get it

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need S20 Ultra leaks. That's gonna be the new high end model now. 120hz locked to 1080p is wack, but a software hack can probably enable it at 2k. Wonder if the Ultra will have it as a selling feature.