• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Was talking about Xperia.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
funny enough... I was noticing drops in framerate on my note 10 at times with one ui 2 app switcher.... but hearing today's new's I flipped it to 1080p and those frame drops are gone.

makes you wonder.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
do all the s20 phones have 108mpix camera?

I think mega pixel wars is going to make a difference this time, specially for low light shots, pixel binning helps quite a bit.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Max Weinbach says the camera is really impressive this time. Kind of hyped for a Samsung phone finally lol

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017

S20 Line specs. International variants, so I assume that everything in NA will have the SnapDragon. I guess I will go with the + unless the Ultra isn't absurdly expensive. The extra little bit of battery over the base model will be nice.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up a OnePlus 7T to replace my ageing OnePlus 3. Very happy with it so far (except for what appears it may be a dead pixel on the screen. Thankfully it's only noticeable when I really search for it).

I wasn't planning on buying this phone; in fact I was planning to wait for the 8 series and then decide between those and the 7T Pro. However, I was in the Three store trying out the Pro (mainly seeing how big it was because it's much bigger than the 3), and two guys from OnePlus were there. They asked me what phone I was interested in and when I mentioned the Pro, they both said something along the lines of "It's a fantastic phone but personally I prefer the 7T, non-Pro". The 7T was also on sale whereas the Pro wasn't.

I didn't like the curved screen of the Pro either; light was reflecting off it all over the place, which seems like it'd get annoying fast. With the sale, the Pro was effectively £13 a month more expensive, for 2 years. So I decided on the 7T. I'm really liking it so far, and the notch isn't nearly as much of a problem as I thought it may be. I could have waited for the 8 series, but it seems like those will all be 5G (maybe except for the Lite), and I have no interest in 5G at this point in time - right now it just seems like a pointless battery drain. I can't even get 5G coverage anywhere near me.

Really liking the 7T so far, possible dead pixel aside. Not sure if I can get that changed or whether they'll just laugh when I ask. Thankfully it's not too noticeable. I do wish OnePlus had included a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter in the box though.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting to see them turn the POCO brand into its own thing, considering they were pushing Redmi as the more cost-effective 'youth' brand (both in China and India). But given the rapid growth of Realme, eating away Xiaomi's market share in India, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

There are already rumblings about a new Pocophone (Poco X2).

Oct 25, 2017
Just a friendly reminder of that if you are planning on getting a s20 during preorder... go buy up some cheaper flagships of last year, because samsung is always the most generous with trade in. I believe they gave like $600 for a pixel 3 for the note 10. pixel 4 are around $430ish on swappa atm.

Wtf you guys loading on your phones to say the S8+ has bad lag?

the same apps as every other phone i got? I remember there was like 1+ second delay on screen press before any response at times. Was crazy. I think this was back when snapdragon samsung phones were pretty rough though.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most samsung lag is avoided by going to another launcher like Nova and switching animations to 0.5x though. Don't use touchwiz/one ui

Definitely looking forward to good trade in values for the s20 line so I can buy the ultra. Hopefully they have some goodies along with preorder this time too.

Oct 25, 2017
Most samsung lag is avoided by going to another launcher like Nova and switching animations to 0.5x though. Don't use touchwiz/one ui

Definitely looking forward to good trade in values for the s20 line so I can buy the ultra. Hopefully they have some goodies along with preorder this time too.
That's not true man. The difference between my.s9+ and pixel 4 xl is like day and night. The pixel murders the s9. Idk about the S10 big s9 or earlier if you think they're "lag free" you need to try some other phones.

This is not mentioning the other weird issues with the s9- I couldn't type on this forum without the keyboard double inputting words randomly, the haptics are disgustingly bad, the curved glass is a palm touch nightmare

Oct 25, 2017
Yep the pixel 4 with 90hz screen and a stockish android build is smooth as butter.

Still don't have issue going to my note 10 though. Just takes me half a second to adjust.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, smoothness ain't samsung's game. The tradeoff is you get all these wacky features and gimmicks and multi window modes, and dex and other crap that can utilize the abundance of ram phones have these days.

Rri2Krk.jpg

The question is if things will change with s20. 120hz is gonna be meaningless if scrolling is super smooth but transition around the app switcher or bixby home or w/e is sub 60. Would be pretty jarring.

Oct 25, 2017
Soo... best phones of 2019. what y'all feeling? Samsung phones were solid... but man the ultrasonic fp sensor was unusable in the worst scenarios, slow on the best scenario. Heard ppl like the s10e though. I liked my oneplus 7 pro a lot. I also like my $614 pixel 4 xl a lot as well. I've heard iphone 11 family is amazing too. People on the subreddit seem to like their fold, and there does seem to be very few issues so far.

2019 wasn't too bad for phones.

I was pleased that Samsung announced a new phone with a replaceable battery, the XCover Pro. (https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-brings-back-rugged-galaxy-with-xcover-pro/)

My question is this. Coming from a Galaxy S7, will this phone feel underpowered and with a mediocre display? Or will it be comparable? I'm very interested.

probably? Battery life is gonna be better though lol.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Soo... best phones of 2019. what y'all feeling? Samsung phones were solid... but man the ultrasonic fp sensor was unusable in the worst scenarios, slow on the best scenario. Heard ppl like the s10e though. I liked my oneplus 7 pro a lot. I also like my $614 pixel 4 xl a lot as well. I've heard iphone 11 family is amazing too. People on the subreddit seem to like their fold, and there does seem to be very few issues so far.
Did Samsung phones use a different fingerprint sensor to the OnePlus phones? Having recently got the 7T I haven't noticed any issues with the fingerprint sensor, it seems quite fast to me and works well. My brother has the 6T with the older version of the sensor but he hasn't complained about it as yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Did Samsung phones use a different fingerprint sensor to the OnePlus phones? Having recently got the 7T I haven't noticed any issues with the fingerprint sensor, it seems quite fast to me and works well. My brother has the 6T with the older version of the sensor but he hasn't complained about it as yet.

Most companies use an optical one, which basically shines a bright light and takes a screenshot of your finger. Samsung uses an ultrasonic sensor which in theory is more secure, but in practice it's super finicky, and it's incredibly ymmv depending on your screen protector + humidity + how moist or dry your finger is etc.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck do people prefer tablets I can no longer use a PC at work to browse the internet (Slow Nightshift job) and it SUUUUCKS I WANT A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD AND NORMAL WEBSITES I HATE TOUCH TYPING

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm having a lot of freezing issues on my Note 10 since I upgraded it to Android 10. It's a T-Mobile model running the T-Mobile firmware.

What's happening is every time I open a link from a program (like a link in an email), it opens it in the quick view window and the quick view window will lock up. The buttons on the bottom of the screen don't respond, nor does anything in the browser. I can pull the notification shade down, access settings and then my recent menu to close the browser, so it's not hard locking the phone.

This happens with both Chrome and Edge, so I don't think it's a specific browser problem, and it only started since I upgraded to 10.

I've factory reset my phone twice now and the problem still exists. I don't know if it's an Android issue, a T-Mobile issue or a Samsung issue, but it's really annoying.

Has anyone come across a problem like this and have any idea how to fix it?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of freezing issues on my Note 10 since I upgraded it to Android 10. It's a T-Mobile model running the T-Mobile firmware.

What's happening is every time I open a link from a program (like a link in an email), it opens it in the quick view window and the quick view window will lock up. The buttons on the bottom of the screen don't respond, nor does anything in the browser. I can pull the notification shade down, access settings and then my recent menu to close the browser, so it's not hard locking the phone.

This happens with both Chrome and Edge, so I don't think it's a specific browser problem, and it only started since I upgraded to 10.

I've factory reset my phone twice now and the problem still exists. I don't know if it's an Android issue, a T-Mobile issue or a Samsung issue, but it's really annoying.

Has anyone come across a problem like this and have any idea how to fix it?
Saw this mentioned a few times on the subreddit so you aren't alone.

Haven't noticed this issue on my unlocked note 10+

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Most companies use an optical one, which basically shines a bright light and takes a screenshot of your finger. Samsung uses an ultrasonic sensor which in theory is more secure, but in practice it's super finicky, and it's incredibly ymmv depending on your screen protector + humidity + how moist or dry your finger is etc.

It can be finicky, only when the placement isn't good enough. What's you get used to it and have the proper placement, it always works.

The times where it where it barely works is when the display is wet. Also when my hands are very dry, it seems to be much more finicky.

Overall it's a good phone. I think the performance has been great and pretty smooth overall, but one weird thing that started happening ever since One UI 2 update is that sometimes when I unlock my phone, there's a one-time delay stutter when it does the zoom animation to the homescreen. I have not been able to tell whether a widget is causing this other. I'm general light on widget use and the majority of them are all Samsung's widgets so there's no reason that this should be happening. Also, battery life has been better on One UI 2, but I think overall it's been merely average. It gets me through the day easily, but it sucks after coming from past phones that would get me 2 days of life with moderate usage (Xperia 3 Compact, Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy 9+).

I still think there's no better android experience than One UI + Good Lock + One handed operation + Task Switcher (expected to be updated for Android 10 in Jan).

This set up has made large phones much more usable to the point that size does not matter anymore.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Sigh, Android 10 and/or the Android Auto with it got rid of the ability to not require the screen on to enable bluetooth Android Auto, which you use to get calls while driving. Instead it has "pocket detection" which doesn't work and effectively makes Android Auto into Android Buttdial.

So I've disabled bluetooth entirely and if someone calls and I forget to connect my phone to USB I'm SOL.

Who comes up with these god awful design decisions must not actually use the software. Reminds me of how in Android 8 (with Galaxy S6) that the screen would turn on when the phone is fully charged. And if you changed your display to turn off after 30 minutes because you cook with recipes, on fully charged it'll stop charging, turn on the screen, and then drain the battery. WHY WOULD YOU TURN THE SCREEN ON WHEN CHARGED? What fucking reason?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Anyone know how to determine priority of devices when popping up alerts? Maps is sending traffic alerts and Photos photo alerts to my tablet at home but not on my cell phone. Less than optimal.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that the S20 and S20+ will just be 3x Optical lens. Other than improved screen fingerprint scanning and overall battery life, I think this would be be the thing I would be looking for to make an upgrade worthwhile. I wish that it did have 5x optical zoom. As a feature, 120hz is great and all, but an overrated feature to me. I use an iPad Pro and 144 hz monitor everyday and there was never a time where using my S10 felt terrible in comparison. Tech bloggers who suggest that you cannot go back and 90hz+ makes everything else unusable are fucking morons. With that said, it's still going to be an awesome upgrade and I definitely would want w/e next I get to have that for sure.

If the next One Plus just at least caught up to the S10 in camera quality, but offered at 3x optical zoom, I would be tempted.

If all these 5G phones end up of having shit battery life, then there's no more discussion to be had. I won't look towards any of them.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that the S20 and S20+ will just be 3x Optical lens. Other than improved screen fingerprint scanning and overall battery life, I think this would be be the thing I would be looking for to make an upgrade worthwhile. I wish that it did have 5x optical zoom. As a feature, 120hz is great and all, but an overrated feature to me. I use an iPad Pro and 144 hz monitor everyday and there was never a time where using my S10 felt terrible in comparison. Tech bloggers who suggest that you cannot go back and 90hz+ makes everything else unusable are fucking morons. With that said, it's still going to be an awesome upgrade and I definitely would want w/e next I get to have that for sure.

If the next One Plus just at least caught up to the S10 in camera quality, but offered at 3x optical zoom, I would be tempted.

If all these 5G phones end up of having shit battery life, then there's no more discussion to be had. I won't look towards any of them.

Didnt the OP 7 pro have 3x optical?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Saw this mentioned a few times on the subreddit so you aren't alone.

Haven't noticed this issue on my unlocked note 10+

Google released a webview update yesterday that didn't show up in my update list (I had to manually look for it).

Hopefully, that takes care of my issue.

Edit

It didn't take care of it. Phone is still locking up. 😡

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying the fold so far. It's... surprisingly creaky when closed though, but this could just be the one I got (amazon renewed means jack shit) has signs of being dropped on the hinge.

You can definitely see the crease and imperfections of the plastic screen depending on the lighting situation.... like the overhead lights at my office.

It's also kinda heavy and wide... so not the most comfortable to use. Guess you can get used to it though... or use it less?

I'm kinda surprised at how robust the software is for gen 1. It pretty much has everything the other one ui phones have, including themes, good lock etc. It is missing edge panels though... which is a bummer.

Anyways returning it because of the defect, but I'm definitely interested in the gen 2 ones this q2 if the rumors are accurate (s20 ultra camera, 8" flexible glass screen, spen).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the best way to sell a phone? I just won a Note 10 and don't need it cause I already have a Note 10+

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the best way to sell a phone? I just won a Note 10 and don't need it cause I already have a Note 10+

just a fyi samsung gave out $600 credit for trade in for the note 9 when the note 10 came out. So if you are planning on upgrading this year... best to wait. I'm seeing swappa prices for the note 10 in the 500s (and you gotta pay a selling fee, and shipping).

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying the fold so far. It's... surprisingly creaky when closed though, but this could just be the one I got (amazon renewed means jack shit) has signs of being dropped on the hinge.

You can definitely see the crease and imperfections of the plastic screen depending on the lighting situation.... like the overhead lights at my office.

It's also kinda heavy and wide... so not the most comfortable to use. Guess you can get used to it though... or use it less?

I'm kinda surprised at how robust the software is for gen 1. It pretty much has everything the other one ui phones have, including themes, good lock etc. It is missing edge panels though... which is a bummer.

Anyways returning it because of the defect, but I'm definitely interested in the gen 2 ones this q2 if the rumors are accurate (s20 ultra camera, 8" flexible glass screen, spen).
We'll see how the bendable glass behaves in a month or so when the Fold Z launches.