• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this in GSMarena and they are saying that this the pricing just for LTE models? That doesn't sound right. Anyway, Samsung can fuck off with that pricing.

If the One Plus 8 line sees a massive improvement to the camera and happens to have the telephoto upgrade that I seek, I'll be all over that. I don't feel the need to upgrade though. Galaxy S10 is a good phone with a great camera and convenient headphone jack.

I am interested in the new Galaxy Buds+. I may wait until Google's comes up before making a decision or I'll ignore both of those and just pick up the taotronic sound liberty 79 because that looks like a solid bang for buck headphone.

Galaxy Buds+ might be in lead though because of the rumored features which sound pretty nice. If the call performance is substantially improved, I may not even wait on Google.
There's no LTE-only models for the US, so that's with the SD865 and X55 modem.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Android 10 finally hit the MI9T.

Any specific features or functions I should be aware of? I read up on some of the bigger additions (Dark Mode!) but I'm still a general Android novice.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Samsung needs to be real generous with their preorder promos. Even, me as someone with a pixel 4 xl, note 10+, galaxy fold (returning in a bit) in front of me...

Guess I'll probably wait for the note 20 or fold 2.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this in GSMarena and they are saying that this the pricing just for LTE models? That doesn't sound right. Anyway, Samsung can fuck off with that pricing.

If the One Plus 8 line sees a massive improvement to the camera and happens to have the telephoto upgrade that I seek, I'll be all over that. I don't feel the need to upgrade though. Galaxy S10 is a good phone with a great camera and convenient headphone jack.

I am interested in the new Galaxy Buds+. I may wait until Google's comes up before making a decision or I'll ignore both of those and just pick up the taotronic sound liberty 79 because that looks like a solid bang for buck headphone.

Galaxy Buds+ might be in lead though because of the rumored features which sound pretty nice. If the call performance is substantially improved, I may not even wait on Google.
Why not get the WF-1000XM3?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Why not get the WF-1000XM3?
I own the XM2s

EDIT: Damn it, Sony's naming is so terrible for these. I thought you were referring to the over the ear headphones.

I don't want those Sony's because I don't like the way it looks on the ear and it's too expensive for what I want.

Last edited:

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
I own the XM2s

EDIT: Damn it, Sony's naming is so terrible for these. I thought you were referring to the over the ear headphones.

I don't want those Sony's because I don't like the way it looks on the ear and it's too expensive what what I want.
Lol, Ya their naming is terrible.

Edit: it's on sale for US$199

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
ZPWWzmZ.png

While these are good numbers, the iPhone 11 Pro Max posted insane numbers with a 4000mAH battery:

GAyksfI.png

Very interested in seeing what the S20 line does because I want to understand the impact that 5G will have on all of this. I don't think the S20 will hit the numbers above because of the higher native resolution and 5G.

If One Plus 8 series gets a bump in battery again, I think we'll see good numbers as 5G doesn't kill it.

9HszVvW.png

I've always liked GSMarena for relative comparisons. In my experience they have been pretty accurate.

Last edited:

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Anyone had their Chrome menu bars messed about? Had the bar at the bottom using Chrome Duet on ://flags.but now the options arent the same.

New tab should not be positioned in the top left hand corner. I cant even reach it with the one hand mode on my Xperia 1

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
ZPWWzmZ.png

While these are good numbers, the iPhone 11 Pro Max posted insane numbers with a 4000mAH battery:

GAyksfI.png

Very interested in seeing what the S20 line does because I want to understand the impact that 5G will have on all of this. I don't think the S20 will hit the numbers above because of the higher native resolution and 5G.

If One Plus 8 series gets a bump in battery again, I think we'll see good numbers as 5G doesn't kill it.

9HszVvW.png

I've always liked GSMarena for relative comparisons. In my experience they have been pretty accurate.
The Xperia 5 has 96hrs with 3100 mah.

Imagine what the Xperia 1.1 can do with rumored 4000 mah.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I started playing Granblue Fantasy on Chrome, and when I logged through my Google account, I got an email from Google telling me that I had just logged in using a Sharp Galapagos. I guess they use that as an emulator when you play the game through a browser. Interesting, because that was one of the first 3D phones or something.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I started playing Granblue Fantasy on Chrome, and when I logged through my Google account, I got an email from Google telling me that I had just logged in using a Sharp Galapagos. I guess they use that as an emulator when you play the game through a browser. Interesting, because that was one of the first 3D phones or something.
a Tegra 2 device? oof

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the smallest annoyance has a lingering impact on overall experience. Everything about my S10 has been mostly great. One UI has been a big upgrade and proof that Samsung is going in the right direction in terms of software. They are getting faster at security updates too.

The one annoyance I've had though is when it comes to the fingerprint unlocking animation. There's a slight pause in the animation at times so it doesn't look smooth. This happens at random and and infrequently, but it's still something that so jarring to see, especially when everything else is smooth when using the device. I didn't see this happen with One UI on Android 9 and not sure how this wasn't picked up on during the BETA for Android 10.

Not sure if anyone here has noticed this?

I think it's this and the average battery life that have been the most disappointing things. The battery easily gets me through the day and I never struggle here, but it's nowhere as good as my past phones (Sony Xperia Compact Z3 Compact, Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S9+). Every other high-end manufacturer is beating them for the phones that have a smaller/regular size.

The biggest surprises for me with this phone is the quality of the sound from the stereo speakers and quality of the low light camera photos without night mode enable. Samsung Pay has continued to be very useful for me at random times and I've gotten $20 in cashback offers. I know others have struggled with the fingerprint, but it's worked perfectly fine for me except when my screen is wet. This is also the last Samsung flagship series that has the heart rate sensor in the back. In future I would consider getting a smartwatch with the an ECG built in (I learned that the Galaxy Watch Active 2 has this capability, but it's not FDA approved yet).

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Mobile World Congress hasn't been worth shit for years now, but there is a chance it might be severely stunted this year if not outright cancelled. Companies are cancelling left and right thanks to the corona outbreak.

Feb 22, 2018
I just updated my phone to the latest android version, or well it updated itself. But anyway it just happened. And well, now I cant access the gallery app, clock app, camera app, Samsung notes app... maybe other apps too but I dont feel like testing all my apps. But anyway, I guess I should say the apps load up, but none of their features are functional and they basicly crash shortly after I try to do anything in them.

Also I noticed that when trying to pick photo albums for my screen saver to use, it claims there are no pictures on my device!
I've tried restarting my phone, turning it off and on, forcing the mentioned apps to shut down and then clearing their cache. The apps still will not function.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there an easy yet free method for fixing this problem? Preferably something that isnt factory resetting or reformatting the phone? And if there are no currently known fixes for this problem, is it possible to "roll back" the update?
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9, Verizon is the carrier.
Other possibly important details regarding my phone:
  • One UI version: 2.0
  • Android version: 10
  • Baseband version: G960USQU7DTA5

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
A report came out that maybe the judge is going to approve the Tmo/Sprint merger. Either today or tomorrow.

Edit: it's approved

www.wsj.com

T-Mobile, Sprint Deal Wins Approval, Reshaping Industry

A federal judge’s approval of T-Mobile’s takeover of Sprint will test whether three giants will compete as aggressively for cellphone users as four unequal players once did.
RIP, we are gonna get a taste of Canada's wireless industry with their 3 carriers.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Android 10 finally hit the MI9T.

Any specific features or functions I should be aware of? I read up on some of the bigger additions (Dark Mode!) but I'm still a general Android novice.

Well, MIUI 11already had darkmode without Android 10, though now there's support for Dark Mode notifications as well, which fit much better. MIUI also had excellent gesture navigation, IMO better than stock A10, so that's another important A10 feature that was already in MIUI 11.

On the whole, many of A10's prominent front facing features wil not be seen in Xiaomi devices, mostly because MIUI reshapes the UI so thoroughly. So most of the changes will be under the hood.

One of A10s features is Notification priority, so you can group them into different buckets depending on how important they are to you.

Another cool new A10 feature is the ability to prevent Apps from using GPS in the background. So you can now limit, say, Facebook, from polling your location and instead will only be ale to get that information while you're actively using the app in the foreground.

Android 10 also has native support for Dualshock 4 and the Xbox One controller. Unfortunately, for some reason MIUI blocks the DS4 from working on the PS4 Remote Play app. I don't know if this is a bug or intended behaviour.

There are some cool A10 features that, unfortunately, are not in MIUI 11. Most notably, there's no interactive seekbars in media notifications.

If you want an in-depth look into A10, here's a great article.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I hate how flagships are going up in price all the fucking time.
My 5t is still going strong (after some cleaning of the usb-c 😳), I get between 5 and 6 hours of SOT, so it's not necessary right now.
But I still like to know what is currently happening on the scene, and I'd hate to have even worse prices whenever I feel like changing my phone (or it breaks)
Also, I'd love to buy another OP phone, it has the best implementation of Android I've seen so far, but yeah, the same issue with prices.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hate how flagships are going up in price all the fucking time.
My 5t is still going strong (after some cleaning of the usb-c 😳), I get between 5 and 6 hours of SOT, so it's not necessary right now.
But I still like to know what is currently happening on the scene, and I'd hate to have even worse prices whenever I feel like changing my phone (or it breaks)
Also, I'd love to buy another OP phone, it has the best implementation of Android I've seen so far, but yeah, the same issue with prices.
Don't go for flagships. Top of the line midrangers are solid these days and they really only suffer in game performance ( and very little at that). My issue with midrangers is that none of them come in sizes more suitable for me. And those that do cost too much for what I'm getting or aren't fully compatible with US networks. Phones with 6.2 inch or smaller screens are hard to find among flagships and are even harder in lower tiers.

If you're not tethered to a max size like I am, or not wanting to waiver from Samsung Pay's ubiquitous payment utility that works anywhere you'd want it to, it's easier than ever to pick a solid "not flagship".

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Don't go for flagships. Top of the line midrangers are solid these days and they really only suffer in game performance ( and very little at that). My issue with midrangers is that none of them come in sizes more suitable for me. And those that do cost too much for what I'm getting or aren't fully compatible with US networks. Phones with 6.2 inch or smaller screens are hard to find among flagships and are even harder in lower tiers.

If you're not tethered to a max size like I am, or not wanting to waiver from Samsung Pay's ubiquitous payment utility that works anywhere you'd want it to, it's easier than ever to pick a solid "not flagship".
Oh yeah, that's another issue for me.
Larger than my current 5T is a no-no.
I think the size of the s10/s20 is the max for me. More than that and they don't fit in my pants, one-handed usability drops like a rock.
So yeah, I am pretty limited.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, that's another issue for me.
Larger than my current 5T is a no-no.
I think the size of the s10/s20 is the max for me. More than that and they don't fit in my pants, one-handed usability drops like a rock.
So yeah, I am pretty limited.
So yeah, you're in the same boat as I am. My only option right now is the S10e, which I would've gotten last year had it not been for pre-order Galaxy Buds. You at the very least could still slide over to the Pixel 4a, which is roughly the S10e size.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah, you're in the same boat as I am. My only option right now is the S10e, which I would've gotten last year had it not been for pre-order Galaxy Buds. You at the very least could still slide over to the Pixel 4a, which is roughly the S10e size.
Wait, have they announced the 4a? i thought it was only rumors for now.
btw, I got myself the buds, and I am surprised they sound so damn well.
But I bought them two months ago, I don't know what I should do about the buds+ lol
I'll wait for crinacle's review and then decide.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, have they announced the 4a? i thought it was only rumors for now.
btw, I got myself the buds, and I am surprised they sound so damn well.
But I bought them two months ago, I don't know what I should do about the buds+ lol
I'll wait for crinacle's review and then decide.
4a hasn't been announced yet, but we all know it's coming, lol.

I agree, the Galaxy Buds work surprisingly well; they make me hesitant to veer away from them. I know I can get better for the same price or the same for cheaper, but since I use them at work a lot, being able to listen with one bud and that bud not really mattering, keeps me tethered. I think right now, it's like Samsung, Apple, and Jabra that don't have a slave/master system for their ear buds.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
The ultra is very expensive. No thanks. I'll see what OnePlus offers this year, but if it's not worth it, I can see myself lasting with the 6T for another year. This phone has treated me so well.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
4a hasn't been announced yet, but we all know it's coming, lol.

I agree, the Galaxy Buds work surprisingly well; they make me hesitant to veer away from them. I know I can get better for the same price or the same for cheaper, but since I use them at work a lot, being able to listen with one bud and that bud not really mattering, keeps me tethered. I think right now, it's like Samsung, Apple, and Jabra that don't have a slave/master system for their ear buds.
Sound-wise I think they're the best ones, at least according to crinacle, who is a semi-professional reviewer of headphones.
But they use a master/slave system. The master is the right one. I've tested it, if the right one doesn't have line of sight, connection cutanout to both.

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh any Aussies here know of any S20 Ultra 512gb sellers that aren't Vodafone. I'm looking to upgrade but it seems like the 512gb version is a Vodafone exclusive here and to get it through them they force you to get a plan. Samsung itself only has the 128gb available as well as other carriers like Telstra.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Ugh any Aussies here know of any S20 Ultra 512gb sellers that aren't Vodafone. I'm looking to upgrade but it seems like the 512gb version is a Vodafone exclusive here and to get it through them they force you to get a plan. Samsung itself only has the 128gb available as well as other carriers like Telstra.
Any reason you wouldn't just get the cheapest phone and buy a micro-sd card in the size you're needing?

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
Any reason you wouldn't just get the cheapest phone and buy a micro-sd card in the size you're needing?

I noticed with my S9+ that once you restarted the phone or updated it i'd have to remove and reinsert my micro sd card for it to read what was on it. Up until that point i'd gone with everything being on the micro sd but that quirk made me want to have everything on the phone except i only had the 64gb and my micro sd card was much bigger than that which made moving things to the phone not feasible.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone know why I can't make a backup on my phone unless I disable the security completely? I've never had this issue before on any phone, but the replacement I received two days ago refuses to make a backup and sticks with the message "Waiting to back up" unless I disable the fingerprints and pin...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung ticking my boxes with a close to 7" phone and 120Hz screen.

Price is a little steep though and I kinda want a revision of the original fold

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the company that gave the world the notch

RIP Essential, I enjoyed my day one Android updates. I've been using the PH-1 for almost two years now and it's a great phone, very satisfied with it.

It looks like it might be time to shop around for a replacement though, especially since there won't be any further security updates 😭

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Fack. My wife uses an essential phone and really likes it. It was one of those prime day deals a while back.

Wonder what to replace it with.

And I wanna replace my Pixel 3 too...

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got my Essential for like $170 and it's been a solid phone for over two years now.

For replacements, the new Samsung phones are nice but still give you a pinhole camera for $1000. Moto also announced a couple Moto G devices in the $300 range that have decent midrange specs but the same amount of RAM as my Essential so I'm not sure it will be very future proof. And Xiaomi is supposed to make an announcement tomorrow but then I guess everything I do is cataloged by the Chinese government.

No obvious choices this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Yet again, every year I want to get on the galaxy s line because ive been using the stylus less... but it always feels like they leave a few 'issues' that are addressed later with the note.

gimme the 2nd gen ultrasonic sensor tech. Gimme QHD 120hz. razer 2017 had that. I'm gonna make a wild guess is that samsung isn't confident that oneui 2 can handle that resolution without dropping frames.

My note 10+ drops frames often when going to app switcher in qhd. No issues in 1080p.

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah, nexdock is releasing a minimum touch bezel version this summer for about $250 with shipping. (laptop shell with built in battery that works with desktop modes like samsung dex/ huawei easy project)

Preordered one. Seems to fit my needs, especially with how good dex mode is these days. Might retire my samsung tab s4.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet again, every year I want to get on the galaxy s line because ive been using the stylus less... but it always feels like they leave a few 'issues' that are addressed later with the note.

gimme the 2nd gen ultrasonic sensor tech. Gimme QHD 120hz. razer 2017 had that. I'm gonna make a wild guess is that samsung isn't confident that oneui 2 can handle that resolution without dropping frames.

My note 10+ drops frames often when going to app switcher in qhd. No issues in 1080p.
I bet someone release a hack to do 1440p 120hz on the s20 within a couple of weeks of launch. It was already in software and just hidden for release. Sucks they used the old fingerprint sensor though

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah I got my Essential for like $170 and it's been a solid phone for over two years now.

For replacements, the new Samsung phones are nice but still give you a pinhole camera for $1000. Moto also announced a couple Moto G devices in the $300 range that have decent midrange specs but the same amount of RAM as my Essential so I'm not sure it will be very future proof. And Xiaomi is supposed to make an announcement tomorrow but then I guess everything I do is cataloged by the Chinese government.

No obvious choices this year.

Maybe an S10+? Samsung will keep making them and you'll probably be able to snag one for $600ish or less.

If you're not opposed to OnePlus, the OnePlus 7 Pro is $500 now, and the 6T is $350.

You could probably get an LG G8 ThinQ for about $300 if you search hard enough.