• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah, nexdock is releasing a minimum touch bezel version this summer for about $250 with shipping. (laptop shell with built in battery that works with desktop modes like samsung dex/ huawei easy project)

Preordered one. Seems to fit my needs, especially with how good dex mode is these days. Might retire my samsung tab s4.

Oh wow, this is interesting. Dex mode is pretty good, and considering how much I travel for work, it makes sense to have this instead of the Tab S4.

I managed to get the Tab S4 for cheap on Best Buy when they were for clearance under 300 bucks that one day

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, this is interesting. Dex mode is pretty good, and considering how much I travel for work, it makes sense to have this instead of the Tab S4.

I managed to get the Tab S4 for cheap on Best Buy when they were for clearance under 300 bucks that one day

yeah i can't imagine this being as good as the amoled screen on the tab s4.

I'm actually kinda baffled samsung hasn't done something like this yet.

I saw a rumor today that they are doing a portable monitor but whats the point if you miss the keyboard. Makes you wonder if samsung is still investing time into dex.

Didn't the linux initiative die out?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i can't imagine this being as good as the amoled screen on the tab s4.

I'm actually kinda baffled samsung hasn't done something like this yet.

I saw a rumor today that they are doing a portable monitor but whats the point if you miss the keyboard. Makes you wonder if samsung is still investing time into dex.

Didn't the linux initiative die out?
Well, they would be cannibalizing their Snapdragon laptops for one, and Tablets with Keyboards too

Yup, Linux on Dex died a while back

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/86310.html

www.slashgear.com

Samsung Linux On DeX Is Dead, Here Are Open Source Alternatives

Over the weekend, Samsung sent a relatively small number of its customers an email that they probably didn't want to read on a weekend or…

Linux on DeX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they would be cannibalizing their Snapdragon laptops for one, and Tablets with Keyboards too

Yup, Linux on Dex died a while back

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/86310.html

Linux on DeX

Still feel like there is enough differentiation for that to be something...

Anyways lets see if this 'dexbook' thing turns out to be anything interesting. The release date seems to be along with the note 20.

It would also be nice if dex on pc didn't ran like ~30fps and crashes often.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
www.soundguys.com

Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus review

The Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus is an iterative upgrade to the original Galaxy Buds, let's see how it sounds and if it's worth picking up.

Another strong review..

I can't decide...

This or the Jabra elite 75ts???

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Won't lie, this is the first time I'm getting somewhat interested in the foldable concept.

Price is still TGH and it still has that crease, but at least it looks on point.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to find a replacement phone for my BF since his S8 is cracked to hell. Really considering a pixel 3a since he's definitely not a power user, but will probably see what's on offer from Verizon when we go by BB today.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
www.soundguys.com

Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus review

The Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus is an iterative upgrade to the original Galaxy Buds, let's see how it sounds and if it's worth picking up.

Another strong review..

I can't decide...

This or the Jabra elite 75ts???
I've had the Buds+ since Unpacked and they're very good. Especially that battery life and a definite improvement from the 65t. Can't compare to the 75t though as I don't have it

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Would you say these are worth upgrading to from the 65ts?
If you have the money and don't like the 65t, sure. I find the sound of the 65t is pretty muddy losing sound from the mids and highs and just a muddy overall sound. The Buds+ are sharper sounding and a much better sounding bass.

Also, the battery is a huge plus and how it can charge visa usb c and wirelessly compared to the 65t is a plus as well.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the Jabra 65t a while ago and they were my least favorite pair of fully wireless buds I'd tried.

They didn't sit comfortably in my ears at all (not a problem with the Bose, or Samsung ones), and I did t like how they used a physical button that you need to press INTO your ear canal to press. It made the discomfort even worse having to do that.

I'm still happy with my regular Galaxy Buds, my only complaint is that they removed the gesture controls that the Icon X had so you can't swipe up or down to control volume, and the case only charges the Buds twice before it needs recharging.
Other than that I'm happy with it. Never had an issue with the 5 hour battery the earbuds have.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Jabra 65t a while ago and they were my least favorite pair of fully wireless buds I'd tried.

They didn't sit comfortably in my ears at all (not a problem with the Bose, or Samsung ones), and I did t like how they used a physical button that you need to press INTO your ear canal to press. It made the discomfort even worse having to do that.

I'm still happy with my regular Galaxy Buds, my only complaint is that they removed the gesture controls that the Icon X had so you can't swipe up or down to control volume, and the case only charges the Buds twice before it needs recharging.
Other than that I'm happy with it. Never had an issue with the 5 hour battery the earbuds have.

I have small ears. The 75ts, Galaxy Buds+, and upcoming Google Buds all seemed to be the top picks for their features and they all either look comfortable or have gotten good impressions on their fit. I know the Google Buds aren't out yet and I assume they'll be great, but I wasn't going to continue waiting this long.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I have small ears. The 75ts, Galaxy Buds+, and upcoming Google Buds all seemed to be the top picks for their features and they all either look comfortable or have gotten good impressions on their fit. I know the Google Buds aren't out yet and I assume they'll be great, but I wasn't going to continue waiting this long.
Yeah, everyone's ear fit is different, I'm not sure why the Jabras were so uncomfy for me.

I'm personally waiting to hear more about
Bose's next earbuds that are supposed to come out this year. I loved the fit of their Soundsport Free's, but they were really early gen and had issues with connectivity and lagged badly during videos. Plus if it has active noise cancellation it'll be perfect, I'm just worried they'll cost a fortune.

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Samsung offering £350 for my S10 if I put towards the S20 Ultra which I can spread over 3 years interest free @ £23.60... should I?

Means the total for the S20 Ultra is £849 including the Buds+

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I know you guys deal with the flagships and more upscale products, but I really can't help but feel that 5G on the lower end and midrange is gonna be the shake up that we needed this whole time. Value for Money phones are gonna be shipping with the 765 throughout the year and from what we have seen they'll be starting out at around 300$/€. This is a great thing as its doubtful that Qualcomm will be able to get 5G compatibility on lower end chipsets, and as 5G becomes the norm so will the processing capability baseline gain a huge boost. We're talking >SD30 SoCs, which are WAY more beastly than the baseline SD660/665 that exist now, and we could see this in a year or two at most being offered at 200 or less. Of course I could be wrong with how slow the 710 let alone the 730 are being adopted, but you never know.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Galaxy Buds + are legit. I haven't tried calls yet, I'm happy with the audio and the ambiet mode is some crazy. The super ambiet mode feels like I have a super hearing as if I had a hearing aid.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, does anyone have faith in Google doing the right thing with Pixel? Or do you think they will always be a year behind in what is considered the "standard"?

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious, does anyone have faith in Google doing the right thing with Pixel? Or do you think they will always be a year behind in what is considered the "standard"?
I gave up on flagship pixel phones. I have no faith Google will correct their hardware flaws and actually compete in that space. The a series is decent for the price range though. I'm sure they will find a way to less that up next.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on flagship pixel phones. I have no faith Google will correct their hardware flaws and actually compete in that space. The a series is decent for the price range though. I'm sure they will find a way to less that up next.

Funny how they bought HTC and everything to make sure that they get to their vision... what fucking vision? They could be doing so much more and it's usually just the previous year's tech at the end of the year. I don't get it. Even Samsung is also pushing so that their batteries are much larger. Can't wait for another sub 3000 mAh battery from them.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how they bought HTC and everything to make sure that they get to their vision... what fucking vision? They could be doing so much more and it's usually just the previous year's tech at the end of the year. I don't get it. Even Samsung is also pushing so that their batteries are much larger. Can't wait for another sub 3000 mAh battery from them.
What's funny is they've relegated the HTC team basically to the A series. They have no input on the flagship series. Like everything Google does it seems like their phone division is a half hearted attempt to say they have something Apple has without trying to actually compete. They sure can price their phone the same as Apple though

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I haven't trusted a Google branded phone since the Nexus 6P. Honestly, nothing that Google produced since they stopped using more competent phone companies has been even remotely good. To be fair, the Nexus 5X was a disaster, too.

But aside from obvious hardware issues. Not a single Pixel phone has had a worldwide release yet, which given it's on its 4th version now, is ridiculous. Then there's the features like auto-call answering which are gimmicky, but also US exclusive so pointless. Then there's the comically bad battery life. The almost retro design with huge bezels and huge notches for no reason. The only real advantage they have over a bunch of the competition is the camera software, which have workarounds and really, it's not like there aren't other better phones with camera's that are equally as good.

There's just no reason to get a Pixel phone, not for that price.

-edit: On a personal note, After my HTC Universal broke it's screen in my pocket after less than two weeks of use (on my "fixed" device that had a non-functioning sim tray out of the box). I vowed to never purchase anything HTC made ever again, so that doesn't help sell me on Pixel's either. I broke that promise to myself exactly once though, for the Nexus 9, ironically. It overheated, slowed to a crawl, was poorly build. The worst tablet I've ever owned.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's kind of amazing how much of a step down the Pixel 4 was from the 3, design wise. The Pixel 4 just felt like they had nothing creative in the tank and said fuck it. And it showed. I have a Pixel 3 and I really enjoy it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I respect the Pixel 4s design because it joins Sony in the ergonomics crusade with the minimal bottom bezel and proper top bezel to have something to hold onto when in landscape. I love how we now have phones with the same footprint as old 5.5 inchers having screens upwards of 6.5 inches but the lack of bezels is a bane to ergonomics.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Never spending more than $300-$350 on a google phone again. I just don't trust their reliability. I think they have found their niche with the 3a and I might get a 4a for my parents next phone though.

Oct 25, 2017
whats most annoying about the pixel 4 is that... its been many months... and still no update for the face unlock to not work when eyes are shut... or any new gestures for the soli crap.

Meanwhile you can do csi enhance zoom with the ultra's 108mp camera pics lol

I guess the current tmobile prices aren't bad... but i'd still say most ppl would be better off with the op7t at the same price.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got rid of my 4 XL and I was pretty happy too for the following reasons:

1. Horrible screen brightness. Even when cloudy outside it was barely visible.

2. No fingerprint sensor. I did not enjoy face unlock. Most banking apps are not compatible.

3. Bad memory management. Apps reloaded constantly at about the same rate as the 3a.

4. Camera lag. Processing still took a few seconds after taking the photo to be able to view whatnot actually looked like.

5. Horrible oleophobic coating. Screen always looked filthy and was a lint and fingerprint magnet.

6. Battery life was barely average. I would get less than 5 hours sot consistently.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
I know you guys deal with the flagships and more upscale products, but I really can't help but feel that 5G on the lower end and midrange is gonna be the shake up that we needed this whole time. Value for Money phones are gonna be shipping with the 765 throughout the year and from what we have seen they'll be starting out at around 300$/€. This is a great thing as its doubtful that Qualcomm will be able to get 5G compatibility on lower end chipsets, and as 5G becomes the norm so will the processing capability baseline gain a huge boost. We're talking >SD30 SoCs, which are WAY more beastly than the baseline SD660/665 that exist now, and we could see this in a year or two at most being offered at 200 or less. Of course I could be wrong with how slow the 710 let alone the 730 are being adopted, but you never know.
I'm expecting the MediaTek Dimensity 800 to be used for the entry-level 5G smartphones. I doubt we will see many Snapdragon 765 (G) 5G devices launch under €400. Most will probably be priced somewhere between €450-550 (premium mid-range segment) when they arrive in Europe.

Last edited:

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I might try to get some recommendations here- I'm looking for a replacement wallet case for a Samsung Galaxy S10+. Can anyone direct me to a good one?

I'm currently rocking a Ringke, but it's starting to show signs of wear and tear after a year.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I might try to get some recommendations here- I'm looking for a replacement wallet case for a Samsung Galaxy S10+. Can anyone direct me to a good one?

I'm currently rocking a Ringke, but it's starting to show signs of wear and tear after a year.

I've personally been using cases from Snakehive for a while now. Have had them on my last three phones and have been really impressed with the quality, they look better over time if anything.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

2. No fingerprint sensor. I did not enjoy face unlock. Most banking apps are not compatible.

3. Bad memory management. Apps reloaded constantly at about the same rate as the 3a.

4. Camera lag. Processing still took a few seconds after taking the photo to be able to view whatnot actually looked like.

5. Horrible oleophobic coating. Screen always looked filthy and was a lint and fingerprint magnet.

6. Battery life was barely average. I would get less than 5 hours sot consistently.

you sure could use a One PLus

Oct 25, 2017

how do you even 'get rid of it'? Thing is a depreciating bomb.

Only 'deal' I can see is trading it in for a samsung. $600 for a s20. I assume the same for a note 20 later too.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you sure could use a One PLus

Ready for the 8 series, but judging by past OnePlus releases it's 3 months away. Also the company seems to be going in a weird direction and charging more and more money. I'm not paying Samsung and Apple money for a OnePlus phone.

how do you even 'get rid of it'? Thing is a depreciating bomb.

Only 'deal' I can see is trading it in for a samsung. $600 for a s20. I assume the same for a note 20 later too.
I got lucky and took part in the Best Buy deal where I price matched Amazon when it was like $600 and they gave a $200 gc. Sold the gc for $170 and the phone for like $640 a couple of weeks ago so I still came out in the black. Glad I didn't wait a couple of extra weeks though, because wow lol

Probably gonna pass on the s20 line. They are crazy for pricing it like that, but you know with Samsung it will be $300 less after a month or two

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else hoping that the new One Plus 8's camera is right up near Samsung/Pixel/iPhone? If it is, I may go to it from my Pixel 3.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a P30 Pro and just got Android 10 (EMUI? 10) and it's messed up my notifications a bit. Things like LastPass and Blokada that were always at the bottom of my notifications list and out of the way are now at the top and it pushes more important notifications like WhatsApp etc down to the bottom. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I've reinstalled the apps etc. I changed the notifications to 'Gentle' in the settings but that didn't make a difference. Quite annoying.
kg1vecj.jpg

Posted a picture to make my ramble easier to understand 😅 on EMUI 9 and my old Xiaomi phones LastPass and Blokada would get moved down and messages etc would be displayed above them. Since updating to EMUI 10 Blokada and LastPass stay where they are and notifications appear below them so I have to scroll down to check for messages etc. No idea how to fix it