• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Call me a stalker, but I always try to take a quick look at what other people is doing in their phones on the street (just a quick half second glance).

I can in the line on the store to pay something, and the hair cut place, cinema... And 99% are using their phones for Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp.

I never see anyone just browsing the web. Not even Reddit or some other popular forum (like Era 🤭).

What a waste of technology.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I won't go to wikipedia, or do research on the street, IG is a nice timewaster when waiting for the subway or whatever. So is Era, but comparatively we are a niche site.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly don't see how just randomly browsing the web on your phone is objectively a better use of your time than social media, of which, majority of people are casually browsing on.

WhatsApp is direct communication so I'm not sure what your objections here are. Cell phone technology primary use right there.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
alternatively, perhaps people only use the internet for social media when they are out and about? Like, why would you not use social media on your portable device, when being social IRL? The non-social media stuff I use the internet for, like research, isn't well suited for reading on a phone in a movie line.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly browsing the web at home as 99% of mobile sites are dog shit compared to their desktop version.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, there aren't a lot of billion user websites. Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp are some of the few ones.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just realize that a lot of these people wouldn't be doing anything with the Internet at all if social media didn't exist.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you see me on my phone whether home or out I'm usually on Era, Reddit, wiki, some other forums, or just looking for info.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Online retailers and media streaming companies billions in profit says otherwise.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon and Netflix say otherwise....
There is about 2 billion Facebook users more than people that have shopped on Amazon. Aside from people doing their shopping more at home, the number of people using Facebook is just astronomically bigger, considering there are an estimated 4 billion internet users.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I look at Era on my phone but I mostly use eBay or Facebook. I am not usually at places and using my phone long enough to read an Era thread, unless I am using it on my couch at home.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
DIGITAL-IN-2018-001-GLOBAL-OVERVIEW-V1.00.png

DIGITAL-IN-2018-011-TIME-SPENT-ON-SOCIAL-MEDIA-V1.00.png

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
True, I agree that if I do happen to glance at someone else's phone in public, it's always FB/Insta/WhatsApp, but those are the only things I really look at on my commute too.
I spend more time on Era and other sites, but only at home and work on my desktop and iPad.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only used by phone for social media a handful of times. Otherwise I'm browsing Era, reading the news, or looking up sports info.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Going by the actual definition of social media, this site falls into that category as well, as do many websites on the internet. But more and more the term social media is used to describe Facebook and the like

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
What makes reddit or a forum any less 'wasteful' than a social media platform or a messenger?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 80% reading and learning new things on the 'net. Don't see the point in paying for knowledge in 2019 lol 20% maybe emailing or chatting thru Gmail. Got rid of Facebook unless a client messages me, only reason it's still active. But I have noticed the same, OP.

Edit* Also been active on Nextdoor. Good way to make money locally.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
If I'm on the street, shopping, or the train I'm going to be looking at directions or taking 5 mins to check social media or Era (yes, Era is social media, so is reddit).

What am I supposed to be browsing instead OP? Not gonna read a whole Wikipedia article in the grocery store line. I do that at home or in the office. I bet you also only look at max 5 websites/apps too.