• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Fun Angel fact, Skip:
latest

Is the same actor who plays Pam's fiancee Roy from The Office (and is in 13 Hours, Logan Lucky, and Brightburn):
963037D3-8E9C-44C4-ABBA-52A07FD1F843.jpg

EDIT - gah, beaten on the prior page

Last edited:

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame we never got more of Detective Kate after her breakdown. I quite liked her character. I think I remember at the time there was talk that she was going to join Angel Investigations after that but the actress got another job on a different show.
Yeah, she went to be on Law & Order. Since that filmed on the opposite side of the country there was no real way to make that work.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It really was.

The best stuff in Buffy almost always involved Spike and relied on what he brought to the show from Season 4 onward.

But this scene is always my go-to example of just how harrowing and twisted Angel's own characters were on their own.

YES. This scene still give me chills.

Also, Alexis Denisof is criminally underrated. I can't believe he doesn't get more work.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Couldn't find a clip but one of my other favourite scenes is when Wesley shoots his "Father" after he points a gun at Fred. Absolutely no hesitation, just blam. Really stuck with me. The bit in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with Quill and his Dad always reminded me of it.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It really was.

The best stuff in Buffy almost always involved Spike and relied on what he brought to the show from Season 4 onward.

But this scene is always my go-to example of just how harrowing and twisted Angel's own characters were on their own.

Oh man. My jaw was on the floor when this happened.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I was hesitant to watch Angel a few years back when a friend got me to binge Buffy with her. I wasn't a fan of Angel on Buffy much at all, but figured I'd give it a shot. And wow, Angel was so much better on his own show. Everything seemed to work so much better & the story felt more mature & darker. I couldn't get enough. Ended up liking Angle more than Buffy by the end of it. Crazy it's been so long since this premiered.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What really makes Angel work in better ways than Buffy is Los Angeles as the setting, the producers really leveraged the diversity of the city to their favour.

LA was also a character in of itself.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
On my rewatch of buffy and angel, and it just reinforces my opinion that angel is the better show.

buffy has 2-3 great seasons and some great individual episodes throughout the rest.

Angel is the same way, with the big difference being Angel ended right as it was peaking, with the best season from either show.

I ultimately do think it was better and I'm sad we couldn't get more.

Last edited:

Meia

Oct 26, 2017

Also worth mentioning here. :)

Had tickets for this year's NYCC, the panel/autographs just mean I had to buy a second day's ticket. Just wish I knew what day the panel was now. No Boreanaz so far though sadly.

Angel is probably my favorite show, was always just really solid. Well, except for the end of season 5, but we all know why at this point. Wonder if it was ever worth trying to dig up the comic continuations...

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I could never get through Season 4 after that lady who turns everyone crazy appeared. And Cordelia was on a higher plane or some shit. But one of these I'll power through it.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Angel is probably my favorite show, was always just really solid. Well, except for the end of season 5, but we all know why at this point. Wonder if it was ever worth trying to dig up the comic continuations...

It's depends. If you just want a canon continuation of Angel; then Angel: After the Fall vol.1-4 & Spike: After the Fall by IDW do a pretty good job of continuing the story in a fun & wacky way. Plus, the payoff to the Dragon statement.

After that, the story got really crazy in Buffy. But the Angel & Faith companion series was a lot more enjoyable for me since Faith was always my favorite character. They just wrapped up the original timeline canon last year with Angel getting a solo book to wrap up his story.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't an open end. I mean, you can write your way out of anything really but that was very much meant as an ending.

The series likely always would have ended on a similar note of, "The team is clearly about to die but they're going to keep fighting anyway."
But they continue that storyline I a comicbook.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
<3<3<3 Rogue Demon Hunter <3<3<3

glad conner wasn't there, the absolute WURST

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The Skrull stuff in Captain Marvel had a very Buffy-verse feel to it

Man, I really want a revival of Buffy to happen soon, whether its an animated series or reboot or something

I'll just miss James Marsters a lot

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The twist of Angel getting what he wanted and turning "human" the second the apocalypse unleashed so that he doesn't pose a threat was brilliant.

Fight me.

That idea wasn't terrible at all. I wasn't a fan of a lot of the writing and characterization in the 17-issue After the Fall arc though. I didn't hate the series but everything that came after -- including what they did to Angel after moving him from IDQ to the actual Buffy comics at Dark Horse -- was really bad.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That idea wasn't terrible at all. I wasn't a fan of a lot of the writing and characterization in the 17-issue After the Fall arc though. I didn't hate the series but everything that came after -- including what they did to Angel after moving him from IDQ to the actual Buffy comics at Dark Horse -- was really bad.

If it makes you feel any better, after the buffy cross over nonsense they gave him a new series to try to redeem themselves. Characterization was better there.

After the Fall had its faults but I enjoyed the dark and cynical approach it had it some instances. It wasn't the kind of things we wanted to see but some stuff was fairly decent, like that twist.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That cliffhanger where angel was stuffed in a coffin and tossed to the bottom of the ocean was brilliant.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Also I really wish the Arrowverse shows were more like the Buffyverse. They have the structure down but not the heart and soul.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Angel is amazing. In my top 10 , behind Babylon 5 somewhere (my favorite). Probably competing with Person of Interest for my #2 slot (Amy Acker is great in POI, too). Buffy is great sometimes and not so great other times from season to season, but Angel is consistently great.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The Skrull stuff in Captain Marvel had a very Buffy-verse feel to it

Man, I really want a revival of Buffy to happen soon, whether its an animated series or reboot or something

Fox announced that they were developing a reboot about a year ago.

It's not the revival starring Sarah Michelle Gellar that fans have been waiting for, but series creator Joss Whedon is finally working on a new TV version of Buffy with original production company 20th Century Fox Television (via Deadline).

Whedon is set to executive produce a reboot, and hand over writing duties to Monica Owusu-Breen, whose impressive CV includes Alias, Lost, Fringe and Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

Their vision is in its early stages, but they are expected to cast a black lead actress as Buffy in order for the series to feel "richly diverse".

There was a lot of backlash over the idea of a reboot, however, which led to the showrunner making a statement that made it sound as if it would thankfully be a continuation with a new slayer, rather than a reboot.

But there has unfortunately been no news on the revival since then. I would imagine that Disney's purchase of Fox could have impacted this, since they now own Buffy and Angel.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If it makes you feel any better, after the buffy cross over nonsense they gave him a new series to try to redeem themselves. Characterization was better there.

After the Fall had its faults but I enjoyed the dark and cynical approach it had it some instances. It wasn't the kind of things we wanted to see but some stuff was fairly decent, like that twist.

The Angel & Faith stuff? Yeah, I didn't mind that.

That being said, I think if this in-continuity revival ends up happening, we all know every single comic book will no longer be canon, even the good ones. Haha.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The Angel & Faith stuff? Yeah, I didn't mind that.

That being said, I think if this in-continuity revival ends up happening, we all know every single comic book will no longer be canon, even the good ones. Haha.

That revival is going to be atrocious and ignored by fans. Hopefully cancelled after one year.

Plus what are they gonna do with vampire characters ?

This is gonna be a "canon for marketing purposes" but just a different timeline for old fans honestly.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Man I fucking lived in the Buffyverse back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Angel was such a good show. I think I'm due a rewatch.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That revival is going to be atrocious and ignored by fans. Hopefully cancelled after one year.

Plus what are they gonna do with vampire characters ?

This is gonna be a "canon for marketing purposes" but just a different timeline for old fans honestly.

Huh? I'm not sure how you're jumping to that conclusion so quickly. We know literally nothing about it other than it seems to be about a new slayer. Hoping it will be cancelled already seems strange.

... And what do you mean "what are they gonna do with vampire characters?"

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I'm not sure how you're jumping to that conclusion so quickly. We know literally nothing about it other than it seems to be about a new slayer. Hoping it will be cancelled already seems strange.

... And what do you mean "what are they gonna do with vampire characters?"

Can't exactly pretend like all immortal characters either got killed and vanished if it's in "continuity" and as good as they look you can't have actors reprise all their roles 20 years later when they're not supposed to age a day.

Also I am very pessimistic because I have literally no reason to be optimistic about any of this.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I just snagged a copy of the first Buffy game on the original Xbox just to have

I don't even have anything to play it on, lol