• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Angela Merkel blames dehydration for shakes
Angela Merkel has blamed dehydration after she started to visibly shake in the hot Berlin sun while welcoming Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy to the German capital.

As a military band played the two countries' national anthems, the chancellor's whole body visibly shook and she pursed her lips as she tried to contain the situation.

However, she grinned widely when later asked by reporters about her condition during the red-carpet reception for Zelenskiy.

"Since then I've drunk at least three glasses of water, which I apparently needed, and now I'm doing very well," she said at a press conference.

Merkel had walked quickly inside with Zelenskiy after the anthems, pausing to greet the military band and take a salute.

She told reporters at a joint news conference that they had discussed bilateral issues and the Minsk peace process.

Merkel turns 65 next month. It is not known if the German chancellor has any health issues.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've all had moments like that. Feeling weak or shaky due to a biological need, especially during a moment of higher pressure. Honestly weird that something like this is considered news.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Dehydration is no joke. I spent all day drinking beer in the sun a few years ago and had to be up early for a funeral the next day (I know), so I left the house without eating or drinking any water and spent the afternoon in a suit in 26 degree heat. Fainted shortly after the cremation was complete, thought I'd had a seizure at first as my tongue bled (I bit down on it) but got cleared by the doc.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And before anyone conspiracy theories that looks nothing like Parkinson's. The body does some crazy shit when it overheats

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We've all had moments like that. Feeling weak or shaky due to a biological need, especially during a moment of higher pressure. Honestly weird that something like this is considered news.
It looks pretty severe. Between 15 seconds and 35 or so it looks like she's on the verge of collapsing. That happening with a major world leader seems newsworthy to me.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
That is quite a lot of shake. I mean, it's not uncommon to have extended muscle spams whilst under pressure/stress. If she hadn't been able to sit down all day/drink/eat then I can imagine these symptoms being intensified.

Like others said, not really news. Feels a bit paparazzi-level.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Hope she gets better and resigns so we can end this shitshow.

It's time Mutti.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
is that a common symptom of dehydration? Hope she's OK.

Tremors, muscle twitching, cramping, etc. sure. Electrolyte imbalance and dehydration can jack you up. Her symptoms seemed quite...severe for dehydration? But she's got some years under her and who knows how dehydrated she actually was? I've found myself much more sensitive to it as I get older and more busted. I've always got a hydroflask with me lately.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Is it weird that this looked a little fake to me?

At any rate, it's crazy hot here in Germany and I don't blame her. Gotta stay hydrated, yo.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty severe. Between 15 seconds and 35 or so it looks like she's on the verge of collapsing. That happening with a major world leader seems newsworthy to me.
yeah , if some random bloke gets dehydrated and begins shaking its obviously not news but if it happens to the german chancellor its newsworthy

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Must be terrible to experience something like that when you know the cameras are on you. I remember when TV cameras focused on Sir Alex Ferguson during a champions league final because he was shaking, piss off and let him have some dignity.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As the Ukrainian president, do you have to just stand there for the national anthems?

I would've asked her if she's okay, but that might break tradition or something.

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine literally passed out and collapsed while walking and talking beside me on a music festival once due to dehydration and being blasted by the sun.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Will German newspapers write puff pieces and make armchair doctor diagnoses about her health, being unfit to lead, and being generally unwell?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Will German newspapers write puff pieces and make armchair doctor diagnoses about her health, being unfit to lead, and being generally unwell?

F5uvOvv.gif

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happened to me in a really hot church when I was a kid, I spewed right at the entrance doorsteps. Doh. May the power of Christ compel you!

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I remember on a hot day spending a couple of hours in a park then getting on a bus home and suddenly felt like I was going to fall over and had to jump off at the next stop and sit down on the floor all because of the heat and dehydration.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
65 isn't too old

But when you're over 50 and a women in government, that's when everyone suddenly hates you for reasons
More like when you've been leading a goverment for 15 years and only haven't office because your party is about to get fucked in elections while everyone hates your goverment.

I mean she doesn't even do anything domnestically anymore.

I thought she was a progressive?

When has merkel ever been a progressive?