• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wow those are some intense shakes.

Really does make you think if there's some health issue going on especially since she was completely absent during the EU elections but I'd like to think that she's above hiding something like that.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
From an American perspective, sure.
Is she though?

She voted against gay marriage.
She voted against minimun wage.
She voted to allow refugee kids to get housed in prisons before they get kicked out.
She hasn't done shit on climate change in 10 years.

I feel like she has such a good reputation abroad and i always wonder where that's from.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the difference with her is she doesn't stand in the way if the majority want it even though she disagrees so she isn't all bad.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Is she though?

She voted against gay marriage.
She voted against minimun wage.
She voted to allow refugee kids to get housed in prisons before they get kicked out.
She hasn't done shit on climate change in 10 years.

I feel like she has such a good reputation abroad and i always wonder where that's from.

Even Seehofer would probably get kicked out of the GOP for being communist though. Different perspective. I agree with you on Merkels terrible track record.

I think the difference with her is she doesn't stand in the way if the majority want it even though she disagrees so she isn't all bad.

Except, you know, gay marriage which she blocked for years, nuclear power, which she reinstated almost single handedly, costing the tax payer billions, legalizing weed, which she is still preventing. I could go on.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever it is, it is NOT Parkison's. I've been living with someone dealing with Parkison's for more than 20 years now and not a single day has it been like that. It's different.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap. I know it's a ceremony and she needs to respect the pomp, etc but call someone over and have a drink.

Fuck. That was uncomfortable to watch. Felt like she just one second away from falling the entire video.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Dehydration is probably part of it, but it's probably also a combination of general exhaustion and lack of food.

Anyone who's ever done a multi-day conference for work, where you're in back-to-back meetings, running back and forth, or manning a booth, knows that feeling where you suddenly realise you've had nothing to eat or drink all day and you need to cram down a doughnut and some caffeine just to remain standing and smiling. I imagine the life of a politician is like that on constant rotation, exacerbated by the fact that most politicians are past middle-age.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even Seehofer would probably get kicked out of the GOP for being communist though. Different perspective. I agree with you on Merkels terrible track record.

Except, you know, gay marriage which she blocked for years, nuclear power, which she reinstated almost single handedly, costing the tax payer billions, legalizing weed, which she is still preventing. I could go on.

I stand corrected, I thought she allowed gay marriage because the push from the majority was there.

You would think the guy would end the pomp and ceremony, he must have noticed.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That was hard to watch. I hope she's ok.

May 26, 2018
F5uvOvv.gif

This is exactly what came to mind.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oof that's crazy. I've never seen anyone having an issue like that. Hope she's okay.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Hope she gets better and resigns so we can end this shitshow.

It's time Mutti.

She can't. Who is supposed to take over?
Her own party just shit the bed and is in the process of spreading the shit around in the sheets. AKK is unpopular as all fuck.
The most likely outcome right now would be a Green chancellor in a Green-Red-Red coalition, which I would appreciate, but I don't think the CDU would want that.

I thought she was a progressive?
By US standards you might say that. But Merkel is a center-right conservative actually.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. I've been dehydrated before it's no joke. Scares the duck out of you. Electrolytes are mad important to how our bodies function.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been there before, that kind of extreme dehydration is very scary. We ought to be able to accept things like this as normal behavior and be able to accommodate it better, her staff should have whisked her out of there and allowed her to rest/hydrate as necessary.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that looks really bad. Someone get her a chair or a glass of water or something. Damn.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's been disgustingly hot in Berlin over a few days recently, almost can't go outside without feeling nasty in seconds.

I currently go through two sets of clothes a day without doing much and Berlin seems extra disgusting in the heat to make things worse. Not my favorite time of the year but I don't think I've ever reacted to heat like Merkel did in that video (to be fair she is twice my age).

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah it can get to you. Stress, heat, pressure to perform and then you forget to take care of yourself to stay hydrated.

Should probably still see someone just in case it's not something else.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yeah that looked bad. Hope she gets help really.

And climate change dawgs. That could be us in a few years.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Remember when Hillary Clinton having the flu was used by the press and Trump supporters as evidence that she was unfit to lead?

Woke Bespoke

Banned
May 12, 2019
Christ, 65 is too old now? What's the cutoff, 40?
The minimum age for president of Germany is 40, but I'd argue that restriction is ageist and should really be abolished. Old people really shouldn't have a say in determining a nation's future, since they're not gonna even be present for it. So yes, 65 is too old. Give the next generation it's fair shot ffs.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
We've all had moments like that. Feeling weak or shaky due to a biological need, especially during a moment of higher pressure. Honestly weird that something like this is considered news.

You have to admit that everyone would be going absolutely wild if there were a video of Trump doing this. It's news worthy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Because there is no

Abroad (at least in the US), she's seen as the last bulwark of the European Union against the far right, anti-EU populists, and antagonists like Russia; as well as IIRC, Merkel was leader of Germany when they opened their doors during the migrant crisis of ~2014ish (?). My opinion of Merkel has risen over the last 5 years as America under Trump has become more isolationist and broken off relationships with European allies in favor of stoking relationships with antagonists.

She's really only seen this way by centrist and moderate left leaning Americans (of which I am one). I'd imagine Republicans/Right-leaning Americans dislike her immensley, and some far left leaning Americans probably equally dislike her as a mainstream liberal / neoliberal / Euro-centric, etc.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
Well the German President has pretty much no say at all in Politics.
It's a purely protocol function. Technically he can send a law back if he things it's unconstitutional, but that's really rare.
You only need to be 18 to be eligible for Chancellor

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The minimum age for president of Germany is 40, but I'd argue that restriction is ageist and should really be abolished. Old people really shouldn't have a say in determining a nation's future, since they're not gonna even be present for it. So yes, 65 is too old. Give the next generation it's fair shot ffs.

The federal president of Germany doesn't have any say in day to day politics. He just a representative. Anyone above age 18 can be chancellor which is what matters.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Isn't the rest of your post ageist as well? "Old people shouldn't have a say" is equally as problematic.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
So we should give the country to some nobody who has not even held a job for 10 years? How would they have experience in knowing what's right for the country?
If you're old you've been young so you have a wider perspective, if you're young you're usually selfish, self-entitled and, quite honestly, a prick. This is not true for all people obvioulsy, but I've never seen a young politician that is not exactly all those things. Movimento 5 Stelle in Italy is a clear example of that.

While old people surely have problems in certain areas (they tend to be more conservative and super ignorant of technological progress and the policies that need to be implemented for that), it's the lesser evil.

Change my mind