• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great game and great score on first AJ thread here. Lol

Too bad that not my angry amigo himself.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm four hours into the game so I don't have a definite opinion. With that said, Joe's score surprises me. I would give part one a 9/10, and I'm not sure if I'm enjoying part 2 as much as I did with part 1.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good review.

Happy to see the game getting a lot of good word of mouth.

Oh no!

I was really enjoying the first 40% but took a week break because I'm swamped with games to play. Is the last third really that bad?

That's a bummer.

No. The later half of the game and the ending are fantastic, most people are very happy with them.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to watching this video. Say what you will about Angry Joe, but this guy can really articulate himself.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I've enjoyed TEW2 a heck of a lot more than the first game.

The focus on Sebastian, his issues and his family, adds a lot more to not only his character, but to the stakes as well.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping we had rid ourselves of negative karma by moving here.

I'll accept this score however. :)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that is very high.

The last third of this game does no one any favors. Yuck.

It's all opinion of course when you go beyond the technical aspects, but I find 9/10 to be way too high. As simply a game I wouldn't go higher than an 8/10. As a horror game however, it's a 6/10 at best.

I also don't agree at all with his assessment that the first game was a "bad bad experience". It wholly depended on what platform you were playing it on as well as whether or not you left the black bars up. I played it in its default state on PC and didn't have any technical problems at release.

Oct 25, 2017
The atmosphere and story of the first 2/3 of the game is great.

The backend just isn't scary at all and the writing really falls apart. I might be more sensitive to that though.

I'll probably feel the same way. Seems like the kind of things that would bother me. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll still finish it, but at least my expectations are in check. Watching Joes review now and it's interesting.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, that's a first (Delrith review instead of Joe).

And right off the bat, I disagree with him about the first game - I thought it was fantastic, even slightly better than the (also great) second one.

Pretty good review otherwise though. I recommend people pick this game up if you liked Resi games and TEW1.

Don't know. Because it falls under Angry Joe reviews? I don't disagree.

Pretty sure fat4all was joking :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing one of this guys Twitch streams, I have to say that I am disappointed he is doing a review. Hopefully he doesn't appear too much in terms of reviewing games. I'd rather have OJ. That and his personality is awful

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing one of this guys Twitch streams, I have to say that I am disappointed he is doing a review. Hopefully he doesn't appear too much in terms of reviewing games. I'd rather have OJ. That and his personality is awful
You are looking at it the wrong way. He is not replacing Joe - he is doing things Joe doesn't have time for. If Delrith didn't make the review, then there would be no review of TEW2 on Joe's channel at all. And that would be a shame becaue it is a great game that deserves to be highlighted - it is great but sold pretty badly, so every review is a good thing if we want Tango to survive.
Now as far as disliking Delrith, that's fair, I am also not a his fan, but the reviews was not bad to be honest. And he has potential to improve.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Haven't seen the review, but AngryJoe not doing it is something I don't like.

The thing I like about the YT personalities like AJ is that they have a very clear sort of editorial line you can easily identify, having another member, no matter how good of a friend with Joe he is or how insightful he might be, just taints this for me.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow,an horror game that doesn't seem to control like shit, color me intrigued
Haven't seen the review, but AngryJoe not doing it is something I don't like.

The thing I like about the YT personalities like AJ is that they have a very clear sort of editorial line you can easily identify, having another member, no matter how good of a friend with Joe he is or how insightful he might be, just taints this for me.
well,the concept is that he either does it or it's not gonna be covered anyway

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not the review I expected.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thats a great score. I really dig the original despite it being very uneven. Looking forward to playing this, but it'll have to wait awhile unfortunately.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that people will eventually need to realize about this franchise is it's not a one-size fits all deal, though the very interesting thing is the second game is quite different from the original so you have some people who loved the first game but hate the sequel and people who hated the first game but love the sequel (or people like me who love both, but for very different reasons).

The Evil Within 2 is more polished than the original though, which does help (though it's not free of jank). Both games wear their inspirations on their sleeve, but twist it into something never really seen before. You'll see people with some radically different takes on different parts of the game, IE some love the ending, some don't, some in this topic dislike the last third, but I quite like Chapters 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14 for example.

But I notice the games get a strong reaction out of its players. One of my beliefs is a good horror game needs to get some feelings out of the player, and not just 'being scary.' And I think the fact TEW games do this with plenty of 'lovers and haters' just demonstrates how these games are doing just this effectively with something different that has a unique appeal that may strike heavily in some people's court, and not in others.

It's a fascinating game though, and I very much enjoyed it.

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
I still have to play the first one. It's sitting in my steam account for ages now :(

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Joe get his own...oh, its not actually Joe. Go on then. :)

Nice score. Have been wondering if I should jump into the series with this game.