• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm glad this guy gets his own thread and has been back doing his thing this past year. Excited to dive into this right away :)

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought Atlas would tip out Sea of Thieves because I heard him going "Fuck Sea of Thieves! This is how it should be!"...and it turned out terrible as well.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who can't watch, here's the list:

10: New Gundam Breaker
9: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
8: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
7: State of Decay 2
6: Red Dead Online
5: Battlefield V
4: We Happy Few
3: Atlas
2: Sea of Thieves
1: Fallout 76

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people call Fallout 76 "disappointing". Was anyone actually expecting anything good from it? I thought that most people were instantly turned off the moment the first bits of info about started coming out. No NPCs, no actual storyline, all the changes made to accommodate multiplayer gameplay... Who was expecting something different, let alone good?

Now, if you want to say it's the worst game of the year, then sure.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure I agree with Battlefield V as the multiplayer is fantastic but other then that it's a decent list

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why do disappointing games of 2018 get their own Angry Joe thread???

On topic, 2018 was a great year for gaming and there were still a ton of disappointing titles

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Laura Croft and Toomb Raider (I hate english, lol, tomb like womb, not like bomb)

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I agree with most on there, with the exception of Battlefield V. Game's super fun and I'm addicted to the MP.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like how Angry Joe keeps shitting on SOT because MS had the audacity to charge 60 dollars for the game.

A moron would buy SOT for 60 dollars. A smart pirate got it for 10 with GamePass.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with most on there, with the exception of Battlefield V. Game's super fun and I'm addicted to the MP.
He mostly criticizes it for all the missing content, literally having greyed out buttons in the menu for "coming soon" gametypes, like some AAA early access title.

I'll agree that it's probably got some of the best gameplay in the franchise, but there's so many other problems with it that don't exist in the previous entries.

He also criticizes the progression system, which is absolute garbage. It's crazy that a game dev for a competitive online game still thinks it makes sense to try to get players to do oddly specific things. That literally ruins matches.

Edit: Looks like he also touches on the female thing, instead criticizing the game's story mode for half-assing the stories including women, talking about all these real stories DICE could have based the story mode off of, but instead they made up their own stories that were poor. I dunno. I don't play BF singleplayer.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good list, i really enjoyed playing tomb raider with the Mrs though. Sounds like Sea of thieves is really righting its ship though?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Angry Joe keeps shitting on SOT because MS had the audacity to charge 60 dollars for the game.

A moron would buy SOT for 60 dollars. A smart pirate got it for 10 with GamePass.

That's not even counting the 14-day trial for Game Pass that most people hadn't gotten yet. There were several ways around paying the full $60 (or anything).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well two of those games are on my top ten of the year list so I guess I don't 100% agree with them! :D

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
actually i list i agree with for once.

it's crazy how many on that list are associated with xbox though. either first party, acquired studios or marketing partnerships :/

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is it wrong that I like these worse of list more then best of? Guess I already know what's good and it's more fun to look at a trash fire.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
looks like microsoft had quite a rough year, sheesh!

According to Angry Joe's top ten list, they did. 2 out of there big three exclusives. Sea Of Thieves and state of decay 2. Sea of thieves is doing extremely well on twitch still though, so I'm sure they aren't worrying too much. People seem to be jumping back in and if No man's sky is any indication, you can recover from disappointing launch.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Battlefield V? Should be nowhere near that list. It is the best BF game since 3 - and possibly is better than 3. It had issues - but christ its a great MP game.

Mind - typical that some reviewers and commentators are clueless when it comes to assessing a MP game.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I had Tomb Raider on my top 10 list for 2018 so don't agree there, but (thankfully) didn't buy nor play any of the others.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield V? Should be nowhere near that list. It is the best BF game since 3 - and possibly is better than 3. It had issues - but christ its a great MP game.

Mind - typical that some reviewers and commentators are clueless when it comes to assessing a MP game.

Angry Joe is a strong advocate for single player games. That is probably why. He also placed COD in this list due to the lack of a campaign.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Battlefield 5 and Black Ops 4 are pretty good games. They may not be great but I don't see them as disappointing games.
Well it's his list, whatever.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't agree with his reason(no campaign and adding micro transactions after launch) for putting Black Ops 4 on that list. Imo it's ny favorite COD since Black Ops 2. There is more content in this game without the need of a boring campaign and IMO Treyarch focusing on BlackOut over the campaign was a great idea.

The Microtranactions are whatever. They don't effect gameplay and couldn't bother me less plus you can go through and unlock tons of stuff from just playing the game.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a World War II without any notable World War II battles. Of course it's going to disappoint a lot of people, as is reflected in the sales.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I like playing both BLOPS4 and BF5. Sea of Thieves I got burned on, for sure.
No opinion on the rest as I didn't even try them, knowing they'd be bad (therefore impossible to be disappointed.)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with the top 2, simply because of how easy it was to predict they would be bad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my thought on the picks and his reasoning on them. Spoiler tagging just in case.

#10: Wow, I don't follow these Gundam games at all and that looks like an extremely confusing and unfocused mess. Generic high school anime characters, a confusing PvPvE system with quests and shit popping up the screen everywhere... I mean, a lot of Japanese games are notorious for cluttering the screen with trash, but this is something else.

#9: Black Ops 4 made my personal top of the year list in a quite high spot too, but I do agree with his fear. They are pushing microtransactions perhaps harder than ever, because not only they still do the Pass and the COD points, now these aren't used for lootboxes but for veeery expensive cosmetic items. I bought the Deluxe Edition so I have plenty of points I can spend for now, but yeah, it's a bit worrisome. And yeah, I do wonder: where does Blackout go from here? 3 months in we had one map update basically, nothing major. And most importantly, does this game stay when the next COD comes? Will there be two competing Battle Royale games by Activision? Two (or three if they include a MW2 Remaster) multiplayer games competing again? In this day and age, when games like Overwatch, Siege and Rocket League are reasoning in decade-long supports, Call Of Duty needs to find out where it wants to be. Service gaming and disposable yearly titles don't match anymore.

#8: I also loved this Tomb Raider trilogy and by the third game... I just kinda lost interest. I have it there in my backlog, I played the prologue, I enjoyed what I saw so far. But it feels like I'm doing the same motions again, the same kind of platforming and enviromental puzzles in a similar setting, bar some cool setpieces. I'll probably finish it and enjoy it, but when this saga got rebooted some years ago, I would have thought that a generation and two games later it would have changed more and been much bigger in scope, too. But to be fair, I wasn't disappointed particularly, because the moment they announced it wasn't Crystal Dynamics making it, it became evident this would be an Arkham Origins moment: a good game, but in the end without much to say or add to what was already established.

#7: Similar as above. I would have thought that this much time and a generation inbetween would have made State Of Decay 2 a much bigger and bolder sequel to a game I absolutely adored back then, but that was already feeling a little... "not enough", if you will, by the time I tried it again on the current-gen port. More of that with co-op and few meaningful changes but all the same jank (and then some) was... slightly disappointing, and in fact this is one of the various games I got this year that I still have to properly dive into, as in fact I only played a few hours in the first house yet. Game Pass makes this not hurt, however: I kinda wanted the game, I didn't pay for it, I didn't get hooked on it but I do expect to play it better in the future. I don't mind this one that much overall.

#6: I did not play RDR2 so I can't say much about how Red Dead Online plays. I expected it to be the same grindfest microtransaction-galore that GTA Online was, and well, it seems like it is. At least this one doesn't have (AFAIK) 10 minutes loading screens and ultrafrequent connection issues like Rockstar's other online platform, and while the in-game economy looks trash, the balance should be better in the sense that they can't start selling 10 times faster vehicles (horses) or nukes like over there. Right? RIGHT?

#5: Oh man, Battlefield V feels in such a weird spot. Stupid controversies dragged it down and actually muzzled the actual problems of the game, which are a bare minimum storyline (which is even shorter than the already short BF1, especially at launch when it was still missing a chapter), minimum content in multiplayer, tons of missing features, a decent amount of bugs. And it's such a shame, too, because it's the best Battlefield mechanically speaking at least since Battlefield 4 (the patched and DLC'd version, that is), and the strongest launch state function and fun-wise in multiplayer since Battlefield 3. And yet, here we are, the game did not make an impact, I personally don't play it much despite liking it because there's not a whole lot to do still, Call Of Duty stole its BR thunder and DICE even delayed their own one until March or something. The game, in itself, is good, fun. Short on content but there aren't major gamebreaking flaws. It just doesn't wow, not when other shooters (including COD) kinda reinvented themselves and are offering shittons of things to do. What a shame.

#4: We Happy Few: didn't play it. The world always looked interesting but the gameplay not so much, so I skipped it. Turns out it was pretty janky so guess I didn't miss out on much. It always came off as weird to me that they had this reveal where everyone assumed (unsurprisingly) that this was some sort of Bioshock game. Then it turns out it was a roguelike sort of thing and that turned people off, so they repurposed the game into what people hoped it would be, and... well, it doesn't surprise me it didn't feel right for many. However, the devs seem to be rather creative, and it seems to be they should be able to do well under a better direction with MS. Joe says "the lesser version of Bioshock". Considering how poor the gameplay actually is in that series, and how it all sort of sticks together due to the world and story, knowing that this game doesn't even live up to that is enough for me to skip it. Will probably try it on Game Pass where I expect it soon.

#3: Anyone who played Ark, whether a fan or not of it (I enjoyed it for a decent amount of hours) must have known this will be a shitshow, especially at launch. It was. Surprise? I feel sorry for the people who were fooled by that glorious trailer at the TGAs thinking this was something cool. Feel less sorry about the people who shat on Sea Of Thieves after that trailer and then turns out this game wishes so hard it was a fraction of the greatness that Sea Of Thieves is (which is also with a fair share of issues). P.S.: Funny how he censored a whole part of his livestream showing the game by beeping a copious amount of fucks, but then he missed one and he also uses shit.

#2: Sea Of Thieves made my top 10 of the year, and I didn't have a massive hype for it. I just got it on Game Pass and I liked it, but that's kinda it. Sailing the seas: awesome. Fun encounters: incredible. Waves: stellar. Social experience: varying, but potentially exhilarating. It's just that the game doesn't have the variety to justify lengthy sessions. One third of the quests (the animals and shit) are boring, so the only things that make sense doing are finding treasures and fighting skeletons. But since skeletons also pop up during treasure hunts, and since inbetween you just do these gorgeous but unexciting shiprides, it just feels rather empty in many ways. It's awesome when the right circumstances and people collide, but it also can be really boring. Which is why I am happy to play it every now and then and that's about it. The game is improving content-wise and I gladly check it out from time to time. Too bad the connection issues persist. But again, I am not overly disappointed: I wasn't sure I was gonna buy it, and Game Pass made it easy not to, now I can play it "for free" when I want, without feeling the obligation to dive into it more frequently. Works by me. Rare has a special product in their hands but it needs more content and variety. But that's it. Angry Joe's hyperboles about Rare being gone for good are unwarranted, because if anything the game proves they have a creative artistic vision and technical abilities. They just needed more time to add content, which is coming.

#1: Fallout 76, didn't play it. Thing is, Fallout 4 for all its qualities is just not a fun game to play. The shooting mechanism, the movement system... it's not fun to play. Why would that gameplay be somehow better in a persistent online Destiny/Borderlands-whatever thingy? Modern Bethesda games just play poorly, but most people put up with it because the worlds and the stories are good. Same as Bioshock above. But taking any story, all NPCs, any worldbuilding away and making it gameplay-based in a (janky as fuck) online experience? It sounded bad, seems like it's even worse. I'm not even sure I'd bother with it when it hits Game Pass, which it sure as hell will this year.

Overall a mostly agreeable list, overall. Some of the games included made my personal top 10 but there are reasons to have disappointment in them for sure. Not a fan of some of his rhetoric about lazy devs and incompetent devs, but that's the YouTube "true gamer" schtick other "true gamers" love so I guess I'll have to live with it. Otherwise his content is mostly fine and this was a solid video. Since we're talking about disappointments, I'll add a few more of mine:

- Below: Well, one of my most hyped indies ever turned into an anachronystic game where slow exploration of an engaging and dark world is then made frustrating by pointless survival, roguelike and soulslike elements. Another incredible world unfulfilled due to questionable game design. Sigh.

- The Culling 2: Yeah, this one's a spectacular failure to be honest. The first was a honestly fine BR game before PUBG blew up, then they decided to throw everything good about it in the trash, and sell a sequel that is quite literally just PUBG, except far jankier and far worse. With the game cancelled days after release, it's one for the records.

- Megaton Rainfall, non-VR version: You know, this game looked fun enough to be enjoyable even outside of VR. Turns out that, as with most VR games, it's a tech demo that works because it's in VR. That the shiny new tech out of it and what remains is a shallow, limited, barely sufficient product with no variety whatsoever.

- Super Bomberman R: It finally came to other consoles this year! And while the game has a single player mode, one that is very repetitive, the other things... well, most don't live up to the last Bomberman game to hit Xbox, Battlefest, and that was like 8 years ago. It's a good game, it's Bomberman, but it could have been a lot more.

- OnRush: This game is also in my top 10, so why is it here? Because had they marketed it properly, had the game offered more variety, had it been priced lower it could have been (and should have been, damn it) a hit with tons of players. Rocket League + Overwatch, what could go wrong? Pretty much everything outside of the game, that is. Colossal flop for a game that is, by all means, very good.

- The Crew 2: This one's also on my top 10, but again, it could have been much more. So much scope, so much vehicle variety... and yet, the launch felt relatively barren, with not many different things to do, questionable design choices especially in regards to progression, and plenty of rehashed content. By the time the game corrected some of the issues, Forza Horizon 4 came out, so yeah, I won't be playing this one too often anymore. Shame because it could have been insanely good. Instead, it's just good.

- The Fall Part 2 Unbound: One of my all-time favourite indie games, one that had a brilliant storyline, fantastic atmosphere and all, started off incredibly well: some extremely powerful storylines, marvelous robot characters, very unique settings and gameplay situations. But then the second half of the game arrived, which is nothing but a rehash of the first half, except with more (bad) combat and terrible trial and error puzzles. If the first half is a solid 8.5, the second one is like 5.5, which is why I give it 7.0 in my review. Had it ended after 3 hours instead of 6 it would have been in my yearly top 10 possibly.

- Mario Tennis Aces: Was going to buy this day one, but the beta proved there is just not enough depth, and that some of the new gameplay elements kinda break the balance. Waht a shame, it looked like the perfect "hardcore party game", even better than Smash (for my tastes), but ultimately it wasn't the case.

- Sushi Striker The Way Of The Sushido: The production values are pretty good, but full price for such a limited gameplay is a no-no from me, dawg. It's fun, but these kind of games used to be sold for like 20 bucks and offered more variety. You know them PopCap, Big Fish, etc. games on PC from last decade. I was hoping there was some secret behind it, that in reality the game has far more depth than it shows, that there's secret game modes or something. It doesn't. I'll see you at 20$.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't expect New Gundam Breaker to be in this video, and it's literally the first thing he shows off.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
State of Decay 2 was one of my top 5 last year but i would be lying if i said i wasnt a little disappointed in it.

Battlefield 5 along with 1 and Titanfall are my favourite shooters this gen. But again, its a bit dissapointing.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who can't watch, here's the list:

10: New Gundam Breaker
9: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
8: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
7: State of Decay 2
6: Red Dead Online
5: Battlefield V
4: We Happy Few
3: Atlas
2: Sea of Thieves
1: Fallout 76

Thanks for this.

Such a shame about number 4. When I first saw during its E3 reveal, I thought for sure we had a classic.

Anyway, as I have never played anything on that list, I cannot comment on the quality of those games, but seeing some of those make other such, similar lists makes me want to avoid them altogether. Especially number 1. It shows up everywhere.

I am seeing a lot of love for numbers 9 and 5. Not my cup of tea though, not since my college days.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves right next to Fallout 76? That's like a huge fucking insult towards Rare, wtf...

Insult to FO76. FO76 launched with "stuff" in it and you could "make a character". It was buggy, but I'll take a buggy game over one that has literally nothing in it and no character progression.