• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Are you saying you think it should be pronounced like bomb?
No, I'm saying that english is a dumb language because in many cases the way words are written is not the same way that words are pronounced (I'm looking at you colonel=kernel; why don't write it "coronel"); and yes, being a non native english speaker, I've always pronounced it like bomb, today I realized it's not like that.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I managed to avoid all the games listed. Didn't get bamboozled by the game industry in 2018.

Oct 27, 2017
You could look-up the internet outrage meter and it should come close to the AJ list. The most outrage, the higher the item on the list.

The list is trash if you want any kind of valuable information regarding purchases. The list only applies to launch or even Day-1 (in the case of Atlas) versions of the games.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is an insult to the work Rare has done in my opinion. But sure, to each his own.

Sea of Thieves was easily my #1 of 2018. Even ahead of masterpieces like Frostpunk and Forza Horizon 4.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an insult to the work Rare has done in my opinion. But sure, to each his own.

Sea of Thieves was easily my #1 of 2018. Even ahead of masterpieces like Frostpunk and Forza Horizon 4.
Giant Bomb "awarded" it most disappointing.

I get it, it's one of my most disappointing games too. The game launched with nothing to do.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the hyperboles were horrible. It makes sense to be included in a disappointment list, I think most of us was disappointed with the amount and variety of content, even those who liked what was in there. It makes sense. But when he starts rambling about devs who had any talent left the team... yeah, shit like that is just true "gamers rise up" trash that is so big between YouTubers.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Giant Bomb "awarded" it most disappointing.

I get it, it's one of my most disappointing games too. The game launched with nothing to do.

True. Most disappointing doesn't have to mean it's shit. But I can't see how it's above Atlas. Just compare Atlas' launch trailer to the real game.

Yeah, the hyperboles were horrible. It makes sense to be included in a disappointment list, I think most of us was disappointed with the amount and variety of content, even those who liked what was in there. It makes sense. But when he starts rambling about devs who had any talent left the team... yeah, shit like that is just true "gamers rise up" trash that is so big between YouTubers.

This. YouTubers should have some more respect for developers who put their heart and soul in games. Even if the games aren't any good.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Color me shocked that he actually included red dead online as its own game. Its not like you can play GTA Online without owning GTA5.

Either way this list is gonna make someone mad cause it has games like Sea of Thieves and Black Ops 4 on it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
True. Most disappointing doesn't have to mean it's shit. But I can't see how it's above Atlas. Just compare Atlas' launch trailer to the real game.

This. YouTubers should have some more respect for developers who put their heart and soul in games. Even if the games aren't any good.
Because he expected more from Rare and SoT, most disappointing doesn't mean worst. Like my biggest disappointment would be RDR2, it's still my number 2 GoTY.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
God dammit, whenever I see your username and picture I just can't resist replying. So good. (And I'm seeing them in March so I'm excited about that.)

Haha, yup I have tickets to see them in April, I never miss them when they come around. I saw him a few times over the years during the holidays in town since he lives near me.

New single out today!

He did, just disappointed with the no single player and the microtransactions. His logic being if it had a great SP it could have possibly been a 9 or 10 for him.

Yeah I just checked it out. I mean of course they were gonna put microtransactions in it. At least this time around they didnt put the guns in as a low chance to obtain. For absolute zero, it has 100 tiers to get the SWAT, and i think this black market phase had like 90+ days to finish. Login once a day and you get a free tier skip, play during a double xp/tier xp weekend and you'll go up many tiers. I just hit tier 100 last night and theres still plenty of time to spare. The rest is just cosmetic BS so whatever, I just ignore it.

As for the no story, I get it, but after BO3 I'm not sure if I wanted a campaign to be honest. I still feel like this game was worth the money. Sure it only has MP, but it has so much more than COD mp normally has that I think it makes up for the no campaign.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like how Angry Joe keeps shitting on SOT because MS had the audacity to charge 60 dollars for the game.

A moron would buy SOT for 60 dollars. A smart pirate got it for 10 with GamePass.

Whilst I do semi agree with you, you could apply a similar logic to almost any game on any platform due to rental subscription services (Boomerang, GameFly etc), doesn't change the fact that the game is still $60. If the game was GamePass exclusive, it might be a slightly different discussion.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people call Fallout 76 "disappointing". Was anyone actually expecting anything good from it? I thought that most people were instantly turned off the moment the first bits of info about started coming out. No NPCs, no actual storyline, all the changes made to accommodate multiplayer gameplay... Who was expecting something different, let alone good?

Now, if you want to say it's the worst game of the year, then sure.
For me GiantBomb nailed it. Most people didn't expect it to be great or even good, but even with those diminished expectations it still managed to be awful in ways nobody could've expected.

Oct 27, 2017
Color me shocked that he actually included red dead online as its own game. Its not like you can play GTA Online without owning GTA5.

Either way this list is gonna make someone mad cause it has games like Sea of Thieves and Black Ops 4 on it.
Just for the sake of seeing the hypocrisy in the industry, i would love if more games launched their online mode a month later and slap a beta tag on it to see if they get hit with the same kid gloves

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I do semi agree with you, you could apply a similar logic to any game on any platform due to rental subscription services (Boomerang, GameFly etc), doesn't change the fact that the game is still $60. If the game was GamePass exclusive, it might be a slightly different discussion.

Oh I know...

Is just that MS heavily pushed SOT with GP. I honestly didn't even know how much it cost full retail. For a time, I just associated SOT with GP as a combo. And with free trials, it was a no brainer IMO.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
State of Decay 2 was such a letdown. Loved the original to pieces with all it's jank but this new game is utter ass. At least they didn't charge 60 bucks

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I don't get the new Tomb Raider reboots. The first one was awesome but the other 2 are really uninteresting for for some reason

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch the video yet, so I'm wondering what's the issue with Tomb Raider?

I've only played the demo.

Also I'm surprised by Blops 4. Not that Joe's a fan, because I don't think he is. But I think it's a worthwhile purchase at $60. Unless he's talking about the lousy microtransactions?

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand why people call Fallout 76 "disappointing". Was anyone actually expecting anything good from it? I thought that most people were instantly turned off the moment the first bits of info about started coming out. No NPCs, no actual storyline, all the changes made to accommodate multiplayer gameplay... Who was expecting something different, let alone good?

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. I thought Fallout 76 will be in the Worst Games of 2018 list as this looked like a mess from the start.

Fallout 1 is the first game I ever played in my life and a part of one of my favorite franchises, but I did not even think for a second that I would like to play F76.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I can't watch the video yet, so I'm wondering what's the issue with Tomb Raider?

I've only played the demo.

Also I'm surprised by Blops 4. Not that Joe's a fan, because I don't think he is. But I think it's a worthwhile purchase at $60. Unless he's talking about the lousy microtransactions?
Underwhelming end to the trilogy seems to be his biggest disappointment with it.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Maybe that's why I enjoyed Fallout 76... it can't be a disappointment when I didn't expect much (it pretty much was what I expected except that the last time I played the community actually was pretty decent... as in it was actually rarely I met some one who just wanted to kill me to annoy me and met a decent amount of friendly-neutral people).

I really can't call it a disappointment of 2018. It met what I expected it to be *shrug*. I mean it's Bethesda so you know it's going to be buggy (and come on, Fallout NV was just as buggy), they pretty much laid out it's not an RPG (no dialogue at all), they said the quests were going to be things you foudn and that's what they are (and honestly the stories told through notes and stuff is where Bethesda actually is decent in writing), I'm not sure what people expected.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, yup I have tickets to see them in April, I never miss them when they come around. I saw him a few times over the years during the holidays in town since he lives near me.

Yeah I just checked it out. I mean of course they were gonna put microtransactions in it. At least this time around they didnt put the guns in as a low chance to obtain. For absolute zero, it has 100 tiers to get the SWAT, and i think this black market phase had like 90+ days to finish. Login once a day and you get a free tier skip, play during a double xp/tier xp weekend and you'll go up many tiers. I just hit tier 100 last night and theres still plenty of time to spare. The rest is just cosmetic BS so whatever, I just ignore it.

As for the no story, I get it, but after BO3 I'm not sure if I wanted a campaign to be honest. I still feel like this game was worth the money. Sure it only has MP, but it has so much more than COD mp normally has that I think it makes up for the no campaign.
I agree, the microtransactions are pretty good by CoD's standards even, but stuff like charging for worthless shit like a pretty basic red dot just leaves a bad taste, even if it's not really a big deal or as bad as Blops 3's lootbox red dots. Just makes me really roll my eyes and ask really? That's something you have to pay for, more than actually bothers me.

SP wise I'm in the same boat, I only care for Infinity Wards campaigns at this point, so couldn't care too much by it's absence. I think they offered more than enough to make up for no SP too, even if I don't care at all for Zombies.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully agree with call of duty on the list but I do agree with the micro transaction stuff so I guess I sorta agree after all, with the caveat if you can totally ignore skins/cosmetics BLOPS4 is a really fun game. And yeah, Shadow of the Tomb Raider was really disappointing to me as well for the exact same reasons, it felt like a middle game instead of the end of a trilogy and the story and villains were just awful and boring. The entire game was fine gameplay, mechanics (ignoring the "here's 100 skills you'll never use") and visuals wise but extremely mediocre in every other way and that was a super bummer.

RDR Online is insanely disappointing as well but I'm not sure how to even rate that, I'm hoping it gets better in 2019 and just consider it a free beta addition to my RDR2 purchase, which is my #1 GOTY for the SP.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Guess I agree with most of the list. Maybe I wouldn't place BFV that high on it since I had a lot of fun with the MP despite it being broken. But I can see why people are disappointed with the game.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can't expect people to wait months and come back to see if it's good yet. A game should be good at launch and get better not be alright at launch and slowly get good.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not complaining it's on a list. Just the way he talks about it.

The game was a slight disappointment for me too at launch. And it wasn't worth the 60 dollars for most people.

Do you disagree with anything he said about the game in the video, or any of his specific complaints?

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
AG gets a click from me every time - not just because I enjoy him, but give me that intro music, bruh.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't expect people to wait months and come back to see if it's good yet. A game should be good at launch and get better not be alright at launch and slowly get good.

I completely agree with the bolded but it's an issue that's complicated by GamePass.

If you checked out of SoT at launch, but are still a GamePass subscriber, you lose absolutely nothing by giving it another go now.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Do you disagree with anything he said about the game in the video, or any of his specific complaints?

The shit about the developers working at Rare having no talent. That's the only thing I take issue with.

You can dislike someone his or her work, but shitting on them personally is something I will always stay away from. But hey, as I said, to each his own.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I watched about half of the video. I just can't do the screamy angry gamer stuff anymore. That being said...

I do agree with holding...
Call of Duty BO4
...accountable for the predatory shit, even if it is a good game.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Perhaps said developers should respect their captive buying audience by not putting out half-done products as "ready to ship", then forcing said customers, reviewers, and onlookers to hold their collective breath for months and hope that they fix everything that's fundamentally broken and put the kind of meat on the bones that was expected at launch. These aren't charity cases. They are businesses asking for your hard-earned money. They are not entitled to our money and if they fail to make a competent product while still continuing to ask for $60, they should earned criticism. And no, it doesn't have to be delivered in a nice way.

Don't apologize for SoT's launch and don't act shocked that someone (or most people) would put it on a failure list. Just like No Man's Sky (which you probably also had fun poking at when it launch for many of these same reasons), sometimes you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Sea of Thieves came exactly as Joe described it: pretty to look at, empty, lifeless, dry, bland and tasteless. Just like 76, you could make your own fun with friends (because everything can be fun with friends), but combat was trash, customization was trash, so on and so on. Many people played it for a few weeks and moved on. Many of those people will never return. Whether they should try it again is a different question, but the game still revolves around playing with friends and if friends aren't playing...well...neither are those players, you know? It's really important that GAAS games start off strong. Sea of Thieves was a space shuttle with a bad O-Ring.

Sea of Thieves was appropriately placed here, IMO. It was easily Microsoft's most hyped game, years in the making. It came out to a really good amount of buzz and streamers were having fun with it. I remember Twitch having 100k+ viewers watching it at any given time. That lasted about 9 days. The cracks that were pretty obvious in the games execution (but masked by players just having fun with each other being silly) became holes that started sinking the proverbial ship. It's good that the game is in a decidedly better state today than it was then, but don't be shocked if few outside of the most dedicated players care anymore. Just like No Man's Sky and many other big games that never reached the level of success hoped for, SoT had its chance to make a big mark and it blew its chance.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Perhaps said developers should respect their captive buying audience by not putting out half-done products as "ready to ship", then forcing said customers, reviewers, and onlookers to hold their collective breath for months and hope that they fix everything that's fundamentally broken and put the kind of meat on the bones that was expected at launch.

Don't apologize for SoT's launch and don't act shocked that someone (or most people) would put it on a failure list. Just like No Man's Sky (which you probably also had fun poking at when it launch for many of these same reasons), sometimes you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Sea of Thieves came exactly as Joe described it: pretty to look at, empty, lifeless, dry, bland and tasteless. Just like 76, you could make your own fun with friends (because everything can be fun with friends), but combat was trash, customization was trash, so on and so on. Many people played it for a few weeks and moved on. Many of those people will never return. Whether they should try it again is a different question, but the game still revolves around playing with friends and if friends aren't playing...well...neither are those players, you know? It's really important that GAAS games start off strong. Sea of Thieves was a space shuttle with a bad O-Ring.

Sea of Thieves was appropriately placed here, IMO. It was easily Microsoft's most hyped game, years in the making. It came out to a really good amount of buzz and streamers were having fun with it. I remember Twitch having 100k+ viewers watching it at any given time. That lasted about 9 days. The cracks that were pretty obvious in the games execution (but masked by players just having fun with each other being silly) became holes that started sinking the proverbial ship. It's good that the game is in a decidedly better state today than it was then, but don't be shocked if few outside of the most dedicated players care anymore. Just like No Man's Sky and many other big games that never reached the level of success hoped for, SoT had its chance to make a big mark and it blew its chance.

I never said he shouldn't have placed it on the list. Just saying the devs lack talent annoys me. I think Sea of Thieves even deserves to be on this list, they shouldn't have charged 60 dollars for it. But Rare never lied, the community just expected there to be more in the game than there was in the beta. But sadly only the kraken was added (and some other little things).

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Perhaps said developers should respect their captive buying audience by not putting out half-done products as "ready to ship", then forcing said customers, reviewers, and onlookers to hold their collective breath for months and hope that they fix everything that's fundamentally broken and put the kind of meat on the bones that was expected at launch. These aren't charity cases. They are businesses asking for your hard-earned money. They are not entitled to our money and if they fail to make a competent product while still continuing to ask for $60, they should earned criticism. And no, it doesn't have to be delivered in a nice way.

But these feelings could cause these grown adults to crumble under the pressure of your negative opinions. We must be the vanguard for keeping everything positive at all times.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly with no.1 and no.2, both promised the Earth and gave us literally nothing....LITERALLY NOTHING at launch.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand why the state it was in when it was announced (in 2018) cannot factor in to the disappointment? It's not like it was a new IP. Does disappointment only begin the moment you boot the game up?