• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The shit about the developers working at Rare having no talent. That's the only thing I take issue with.

You can dislike someone his or her work, but shitting on them personally is something I will always stay away from. But hey, as I said, to each his own.

He didn't say they have no talent, he said that one of the reasons they're not able to produce games at the same AAA quality level as some other developers, or that they themselves used to be able to, could be a lack of it, or that most of their best developers from their glory days have left, or for other reasons he's simply not even sure about. Context in this instance matters.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FO76 despite its initial flaws (and current flaws) is actually fun. Exploring and fighting mutant monsters. I'm having a blast.

Finally scrounged together some Power Armor I can wear. Good times.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Yep, that's a list hard to argue with. Maybe placements but that's about it. Except for number 1. That's right where it belongs.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The latest update gave it a big shot in the arm on Twitch, I assume the playerbase also spiked.
I can't speak for other times of day, but currently a couple of Thai and Scandinavian streamers represent about 70% of the entire Sea of Thieves Twitch viewership. Removing them puts the game around StarCraft II/Lost Ark/Rust viewer levels. Not bad, not great. Depends on where it was before the patch, I suppose.

The NA-based channel with the highest viewer count right now is 208. Not particularly inspiring.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
He didn't say they have no talent, he said that one of the reasons they're not able to produce games at the same AAA level as some other developers could be a lack of it, or that most of their best developers from their glory days have left, or for other reasons he's simply not even sure about. Context in this instance matters.

I don't see why it's neccesary to shame the developers. But, sure.
It was the only problem I had with it. Hence why I called it disrespectful towards the work Rare has done. (Especially regarding how they've taken up the torch since launch. I agree that the game shouldn't have launched at 60 dollars. I agree that the main three quests were not diverse enough and that there was a lack of content. Luckily they are fixing the issues with the game very rapidly.

Does anyone play Sea of Thieves any more?

25th most played Xbox game in the US. That's decent enough. Just behind For Honor, just ahead of Halo 5.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I can't speak for other times of day, but currently a couple of Thai and Scandinavian streamers represent about 70% of the entire Sea of Thieves Twitch viewership. Removing them puts the game around StarCraft II/Lost Ark/Rust viewer levels. Not bad, not great. Depends on where it was before the patch, I suppose.

The NA-based channel with the highest viewer count right now is 208. Not particularly inspiring.
Summit 1G is who gets pretty much all the SoT's views but it was prettt much dead on Twitch before it's recent surge.
https://sullygnome.com/game/Sea_of_Thieves
You can see it pretty well here when you set the chart to the year or from November.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Summit 1G is who gets pretty much all the SoT's views but it was prettt much dead on Twitch before it's recent surge.
https://sullygnome.com/game/Sea_of_Thieves

https://sullygnome.com/game/Sea_of_Thieves/365/summary

This link shows it the best, I think.

WXx63cd.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot Sea of Thieves was available on PC.

I don't usually gel with Joe's views, anyone ITT that can sell me on SoTs on PC?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Agree with the list for 2018 except for Battlefield. That's a strong game despite some content not being ready at launch.

SOT was my most disappointing game of 2018 but there's a chance it could be the turnaround game of 2019.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good list. Funny how Atlas being number 2 makes Fallout 76 look even worse. Cause launch Atlas was a supreme shit show.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Know what is crazy? Metal Gear Survive came Feb 2018, damn 2018 was long as hell

Oct 25, 2017
The Microtranactions are whatever. They don't effect gameplay and couldn't bother me less plus you can go through and unlock tons of stuff from just playing the game.
I don't fully agree with call of duty on the list but I do agree with the micro transaction stuff so I guess I sorta agree after all, with the caveat if you can totally ignore skins/cosmetics BLOPS4 is a really fun game.
Black Ops 4's microtransactions are not just cosmetics only and they do affect gameplay. New guns are behind the tiers.

If you played every day when the guns were put in, you are likely to unlock the guns soon without paying real money. But if you were to buy the game today, you may have trouble unlocking the new guns as you have less time left and you'll be starting at tier 1.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
EA Access continues to prove it's an amazing way to avoid wasting a big amount of money.

Otherwise I would have bought Battlefield V only to discover I really hated it after I finished the trial. :/

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Of course. But this IS a disappointment list. ;)

Also people claiming it's "only 10$ with game pass" are wrong. It's $10 a month. If I had to subscribe to game pass each month SoT had an upgrade, it would have costed me a lot more.

You could have gotten two months for $1 and gotten the Gamepass sale, so you pay only 45 or something. :P

But yes, I agree. Gamepass is no excuse to launch games for $60.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This. YouTubers should have some more respect for developers who put their heart and soul in games. Even if the games aren't any good.

That's how we got to the situation that most sites don't criticize games for their faults and some Journalists are seen more as company shills than neutral reviewers.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two of the games listed are in my top 10 of 2018 and will still be in my top 12 once I play the two games that are in my backlog. Battlefield 5's war stories were good but Battlefield 1's were better. Of course, I still believe that Battlefield 4 is the best game in the franchise this generation with Hardline being the worst. Of course, this is just based on the single player campaign as I don't play online.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is at #4 in my top 10. At worst, it would drop a spot to #5 once I play RDR 2 in the summer. It's top 5 for me regardless and overall, I enjoyed the game. I can understand it being a disappointment though if you're coming off of Spider Man which I was and still enjoyed the game from start to finish. Completed it 100%.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
New Gundam Breaker definitely deserves to be on this list, should be at #1 though.

I'm loving Black Ops 4, so can't agree with that. BFV, I've had since launch, I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I haven't touched it in two weeks...so...not sure how I feel. I think a couple really good maps and fixing some of the more annoying bugs and it could go from Good to Great. Many others on the list were bad games, for sure, but not exactly disappointing (I mean if you didn't know that Atlas was going to be shit, you just weren't paying attention).

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
Don't agree on COD or BFV and State of Decay 2 is what I expected. I agree with the rest of the list though (Thank God for Gamepass)

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely understand Fallout 76. It's fucking ridiculous how Todd was lying his ass off during E3 about how it all works and new rendering tech and what not. A shame really.

Up next is Joe's worst games video and I really want to see that one. I always enjoy them a lot. "he's a man, not a God."

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic list. A real letdown for AAA shooters this year with half-assed incomplete releases.

Hopefully developers learn that if you want to make a GaaS game, you have to actually support it.

This is a world where people can play Fortnite for free, and have something new to do every single week. Battlefield and CoD need to step up if they want to compete in this market which is a lot different than it was a few years ago.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Didn't play most of those games, but I agree with Tomb Raider on that list. I've replayed the other two recent Tomb Raider multiple times through (5ish times for Rise, and 10ish for TR). I knew that as soon as I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider that I would likely never play through the game again.

With some more time and thought, I think I'd lower my score from an 83 to a 72. The only part I really remember in the game is near the end where there's ACTUAL combat.

I hope the game didn't do any damage to the future of the series.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he didn't put Fallout 76 as one of the worst games. My pick is Metal Gear Survive to be #1.