• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
That was amazing lol

Even as a fan, it's fun to see new people young and old try to catch up hahaha.

This is what happens when Disney and anime rpgs collide. Chaos and wonder

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Well this was not a video I expected him to make. Love that old Zelda timeline video

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I will say it again:
If there isn't a plot twist with the main villain being Phantom Blot, I will be REALLY disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For those who don't know what this ominous link is:

TL;DR: James's friend and prominent Cinemassacre member/AVGN helper (He did a lot of the AVGN illustrations), Mike Matei, is a huge racist piece of shit.

Do we really need this coming up in every James / AVGN Thread ?

Back on topic, as a big fan of the series, it does always make me laugh how over the top the KH names got and how convoluted the story became and spreading it across multiple platforms made it even harder to follow. Luckily the 1.5 + 2.5 set had everything needed in one package to catch up.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
As Era's [formerly] biggest AVGN fan, I implore you: please read this post before watching this video. Thanks.
The point of this derail is to start drama?

Anyways, AVGN pretty much back thanks to the new writers who our on board and screenwave helping them it also seems like James can do more stuff on his channel now than before.

Last edited:

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Great video, I'm just jumping into 3 with 1-2 under me can't be bothered with all the spin-offs, might do 0.8 if I have the time before KH3 launches.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen the Home Alone episode yet, so that's two new episodes for me, which is very nice.

As Era's [formerly] biggest AVGN fan, I implore you: please read this post before watching this video. Thanks.
I stopped watching anything with Mike for that reason, but I decided to keep watching AVGN. It'd be nice to see James speaking out against this, that's for sure.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
That video pretty much summed up what it felt like growing up with the series & questioning "wait, why are they putting all of these on different consoles?" only to find out years later they're actually important, which then made me further question why all the systems.

I know, the PS3/4 collections exist, thank goodness, but people forget that it took until 2013, 11 years after the first game, for them to start porting them into collections. & even then, those collections haven't been ported to a Nintendo or Microsoft system, despite like half the games being on Nintendo handhelds.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
KH in a nutshell:

b7EVFgR.jpg
Haha, is it shopped or does it come from something ?

Oct 25, 2017
If James thought Power Rangers was a tough undertaking... hehehehe
But yeah, he's right about the problem with the systems. It's not a problem now but before the PS3 and PS4 collections, you needed a PS2, a GBA, a DS, a 3DS, and a PSP to experience everything. Along with heading into the dankest Kingdom Hearts forums to read translations of information that was only available in Japan. Remember when he was the Lingering Sentiment?

Do we really need this coming up in every James / AVGN Thread ?

Yeah this /v/ esque thread derailing behavior needs to stop.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
The point of this derail is to start drama?

Anyways, AVGN pretty much back thanks to the new writers who our on board and screenwave helping them it also seems like James can do more stuff on his channel now than before.

"Hey this guy works continually works with a racist!" "How dare you derail this super important thread!" Grow up, shit like this needs to be talked about. Yes, it will brought up in every. Single. Thread. About AVGN, as it should be. I know all you poor loves are getting steamed about real world issues getting in the way of your fun video game talk...but...iI am sure you'll cope.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure the whole video needed to be on a chalkboard with an eraser in the way but enjoyable as always.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If James thought Power Rangers was a tough undertaking... hehehehe
But yeah, he's right about the problem with the systems. It's not a problem now but before the PS3 and PS4 collections, you needed a PS2, a GBA, a DS, a 3DS, and a PSP to experience everything. Along with heading into the dankest Kingdom Hearts forums to read translations of information that was only available in Japan. Remember when he was the Lingering Sentiment?

Yeah this /v/ esque thread derailing behavior needs to stop.

It would be nice.

Yeah the multiple systems was the thing that got me lost on most of the story originally, as I wasn't buying all the systems to play all the games. The 1.5 + 2.5 set was a life saver lol

They should have kept the numbered games for the main story and the spin off games for side plots, but nothing essential to the main story. I feel bad for Xbox only players, who might go into KH 3 blind, that will be a big WTF is going on moment lol

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem confusing with those titles being absurd, but as others have said, glad there is a collection coming soon.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
"Hey this guy works continually works with a racist!" "How dare you derail this super important thread!" Grow up, shit like this needs to be talked about. Yes, it will brought up in every. Single. Thread. About AVGN, as it should be. I know all you poor loves are getting steamed about real world issues getting in the way of your fun video game talk...but...iI am sure you'll cope.
So am I supposed to never talk to someone from US ever again because their president is a racist piece of shit? Is that what you're saying here? Guilt by association?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
James Rolfe is a wonderful person who doesn't have a hateful or mean bone in his body.

Dude is also entirely disconnected from the bullshit. He doesn't use social media, he doesn't interact with fans outside of conventions, he just makes videos, plays games, and watches movies.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Instead of replying to the derail, report it.

Anyway, fun video, and great to see this coming back. He's been pretty reasonable about it.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing racist content. Please do not make excuses for racist material.
Aw, I'd liked the Nerd to explain the whole plot, not just the titles.

And Mike's characters are racist and called "crazy bandit"... does that mean he's (Mike) racist? I don't think so - can't you write mad, bad and racist characters anymore? His comic is somewhat similar to Brazil's 80s underground comics, only it's bad...

Oct 25, 2017

He said he hasn't really played the games yet, this is more about the difficulty of getting into the series.

Though I think the fact that James Rolfe of all people is talking about Kingdom Hearts shows how screwed up YouTube is. How you need to talk about relevant topics in order to get noticed. I mean yeah he's done it all the time, reviewing NES games related to movies coming out, but here it feels lot... weirder.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
He didn't seem very chronologically confused in this episode. Fun video to summarize the series from an outsiders perspective.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not that there's many games, it's mainly that the plot is the kind of JRPG nonsense bullshit that would be rejected in any scriptwriter office in the known universe. As with many Japanese titles it can become a guilty pleasure and it's always cool to watch all this madness ensue and roam around Disney universes, but what we have here is probably the worst story of a high profile franchise, ever. At least I can't think of anything with a more ridiculous story than this.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

And Mike's characters are racist and called "crazy bandit"... does that mean he's (Mike) racist? I don't think so - can't you write mad, bad and racist characters anymore? His comic is somewhat similar to Brazil's 80s underground comics, only it's bad...

I don't want to derail all AVGN threads into mike, but you know that your comic is fucked up with when the n - word with the hard r is the less controversial thing there. And that comic felt more like an edgy teen writing shit than a criticism towards racists

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
huh I guess that's why I was lost with II and dropped it in an hour

I didn't know about those games

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
So am I supposed to never talk to someone from US ever again because their president is a racist piece of shit? Is that what you're saying here? Guilt by association?

Wow, I guess I just got logicked by the best! No, seriously kitten there is a difference between having a close business relationship with someone who is a known racist and...you know..just talking to some dude. You do get that right? This isn't guilt by association, this is continuing to work closely with a harmful individual.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

James and especially mike have a great fondness for classic cartoons/comic styles and history of animation interesting. He's imitated classic pieces before and I would assume that's what he was trying to do here. Doesn't mean he should have though as some things are best left in the past. It would probably be smart to talk about some of the controversy because the subreddit is a toxic shit hole constantly spreading misinformation and trying to destroy cinemassacre... they still cling to that penis picture, which was from chaturbate, like a trophy.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to watching this once I get back home, will be nice to have this timeline explained by the nerd (the Zelda one was great as well)

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
For those who don't know what this ominous link is:

TL;DR: James's friend and prominent Cinemassacre member/AVGN helper (He did a lot of the AVGN illustrations), Mike Matei, is a huge racist piece of shit.
Oh for fuck sakes I knew that's what this would be about. I always liked this guy and watched him for years. As a black man this hurts. And now I'm confused about AVGN. I'm a huge fan

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That video pretty much summed up what it felt like growing up with the series & questioning "wait, why are they putting all of these on different consoles?" only to find out years later they're actually important, which then made me further question why all the systems.

I know, the PS3/4 collections exist, thank goodness, but people forget that it took until 2013, 11 years after the first game, for them to start porting them into collections. & even then, those collections haven't been ported to a Nintendo or Microsoft system, despite like half the games being on Nintendo handhelds.
EVen before the collections, all you really needed for a long time was a PS2 and a PSP for the games with more significance (1, 2 & ReCoM on PS2 and BBS on PSP). Unfortunately PSP died a somewhat untimely death in the west so they switched to 3DS with Dream Drop Distance. The two Nintendo DS games (Days & ReCoded) and the mobile game have very little in them that is important and what is there can be quickly referenced/explained and expanded upon if/when those things become relevant in the actually relevant games.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
What a disappointment from avgn, friend of a blatant racist like that, well guess I won't be watching more of them.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved his "chronologically confused about zelda" video where he predicted the plot for Skyward Sword, lol.

This and the game/movie sequels ones are fun rewatches

The KH one is decent. I was kinda hoping for something more in-depth, but that'd make the video probably about three times as long.

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
What is even happening? I had no idea!
Thanks for sharing.

On topic, I agree about it being a huge mess though. But I can't imagine that Square will bake knowledge of the prior games necessary to play the sequel.

I enjoyed the video as usual.

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The Mike stuff needs to be in its own thread, so everyone has a chance to learn about it in the proper way. Derailing every AVGN thread isn't the way to do it. From there, people can decide whether they want to continue to support James or not.