• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Love it. Ff6 is still my favorite in the entire series. I think he brought up all the wonderful reasons for it being the epic that it is.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit! This is gonna be great. Always interesting seeing him play/review games that are universally lauded like when he did Earthbound and Majora's Mask.

He does these quasi-serious and retrospective reviews of highly praised games every so often, and will give his honest takes on them.. both the stuff he likes from the games and stuff that's annoying to him. I'm pretty sure he's played FF6 before(referenced in a couple episodes), so I'm guessing he'll recount what he thought of it when he was younger as well.
I suspect he'll do one of these for A Link to the Past since he has said it is his favorite game of all-time.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a non-internet drama version of what happened with AVGN?

As far as I can tell, he decided to focus on family and sell his "brand" to a company. The direction they took it was not what OG fans wanted (which I kind of agree with, but it's fine), and as a result, everyone hates everything he puts out now?

I don't love the new AVGN stuff, but I'm also almost 40 years old and started watching him while I was in college. Shit changes, ha. If he can make a little bag and live a comfortable life with his family and play video games, good for him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

As far as I can tell, he decided to focus on family and sell his "brand" to a company. The direction they took it was not what OG fans wanted (which I kind of agree with, but it's fine), and as a result, everyone hates everything he puts out now?

I don't love the new AVGN stuff, but I'm also almost 40 years old and started watching him while I was in college. Shit changes, ha. If he can make a little bag and live a comfortable life with his family and play video games, good for him.

It's pretty much all "he doesn't have the time/energy/personal investment to do the hustle the way he used to, and he trusted the wrong people to manage his personal brand for him".

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I felt like Goonies 2 was considered one of the better licensed NES games. Think I misremembered & I was thinking Gremlins 2.

Definitely had vibes of older movie based episode with all the footage used.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, a lot of the drama doesn't even involve James. I think it's mostly with the management. You can look up the AVGN editor quitting, he went into detail about how he was made miserable, but none of it was directed at James

The RedCow videos of it and here's a summary of the editor's complaints

One of the writers plagiarized a ton of scripts and that was a big scandal. Mike had some skeletons in his closet.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

If you have 2 hours to kill Lady Emily has a fantastic video going over the timeline of events.

View: https://youtu.be/EmC5Zte5RnM?si=HGRuFzPuZFnmLJUV

Her tl;dw summary is that, for the most part, the backlash/drama is mostly over blown by people who've developer para-social hatred towards James over the content not being as good anymore. Not that things like the plagiarism or Mike's local bandito comic aren't problems worthy of criticism, but there isn't some massive scandal like 90% of James content being plagiarized or James abusing his wife/kids.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I only remember a running joke on the AVGN subreddit about James not having enough time or needing permission from his wife. In reality it seems like he just takes things easy and is enjoying life. Looks like he can provide for his family even without needing Patreon or something

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yeah, the "bad writers" drama and him still supporting his racist trash friend Mike, even behind the scenes kind of soured me on the whole channel.

I do understand having some shitty friends you hold on to a bit too long, so I tried not to let that ruin my views, but man it left a mark and I can't look at it the same.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The channel basically seems like it was pre-Screenwave at least, so it's like they knew what was wrong and did their best to stop the bleeding. lol

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I played the first Goonies on the NES in one of those 190 games in 1 cart. Man, looks like I lucked out cause the 2nd game is even worse. I couldn't get very far in the first game anyway.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Okay, that was... legitimately hilarious. I liked how the whole thing was framed more like a reaction video, but it was great. Some parts didn't look scripted at all, like the end of Chapter 3.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that was possibly the hardest I ever laughed at an episode. I remember hearing about the game a long time ago, but never knew what it was actually about. The ridiculousness of the game + his reactions made for the best combination for an episode.