• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really want to watch an hour long documentary right now, are there any articles about polybius? Like what's the deal with it, was it actually promoted despite never actually existing?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really want to watch an hour long documentary right now, are there any articles about polybius? Like what's the deal with it, was it actually promoted despite never actually existing?

Like most mysterious urban legends or creepypastas, it became popular and fascinated the collective consciousness of gamers due to how creepy and mysterious it sounded. So obviously people started talking about it, some people went on investigations to find out if it really existed, some threw oil on the fire by elaborating "believable" hoaxes.

Its popularity is no different than that of any other urban legend, like the Lochness Monster. There is no credible trace of it ever having ever existed.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't have hated this episode more. Unless Mike and Ryan made a cameo.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Did anyone notice a hand print appearing on one of the dusty cabinets on the left when speaking direct at the camera at one point? Some neat effects on this episode!

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah kinda fizzled out but I liked it. Even the episodes that are kinda ho hum with because James has a good personality. Only one I probably won't watch again is the one with that toxic avenger guy. Was just too much. Also I could give or take any that features Mike.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think he just gave up on trying to make it convincing as soon as he started reading the emails. Or was it when he said he wasn't going to record the game footage. I forgot. Still, with how it ends up, it's no wonder he went immediately for camp. His nonchalant attitude is pretty good, but he doesn't have very convincing range.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Christ the value of the avgn blu rays drops like a rock, how he expects to sell a $40 blu ray with 7 episodes is beyond me.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I wasn't expecting an AVGN episode today, was OK. I thought he already done the Robocop games before, though, maybe it was on James & Mike Mondays.

Also, I see people are using this as an OT now. Is anyone going to be making a community OT for AVGN? If not, I can edit the title for this thread to reflect that it's the OT now. Anyone have a good subtitle that I should use?

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes this is the AVGN community thread now

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wasn't expecting an AVGN episode today, was OK. I thought he already done the Robocop games before, though, maybe it was on James & Mike Mondays.

Also, I see people are using this as an OT now. Is anyone going to be making a community OT for AVGN? If not, I can edit the title for this thread to reflect that it's the OT now. Anyone have a good subtitle that I should use?

Angry Video Game Nerd |OT| ASSimilated by the worst games of all time

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the polybius episode. The only thing it was really missing that would have put it in line with his previous halloween efforts would have reviewed a game or two in there too, like the actual halloween game episode.

Kind of an average episode. Not that bad, but not really that good either.

He did a good job with the material he had in my opinion, and the costume reveal made me laugh. I think the series is at its worst when he overacts the anger in something that's not very bad and it turns into stereotypical streamer/youtuber fake junk. This one is pretty honest, which is good, it's just that the games aren't really all that interesting or bad. It's typical mediocre nes fodder. It's no little red hood or silver surfer, which brought out some genuinely funny anger.

Yeah kinda fizzled out but I liked it. Even the episodes that are kinda ho hum with because James has a good personality. Only one I probably won't watch again is the one with that toxic avenger guy. Was just too much. Also I could give or take any that features Mike.

Toxic avenger is the worst episode. I couldn't finish it, it's just too awkward and gross, my two least liked things. The runner up is the alien 3 episode. I'm not epileptic (afaik), but the constant blinking blue strobe light with the red wash was making me nauseous. Had to turn it off and couldn't finish it. Tried again twice, same issue. Its like the perfect colors and hz to make me feel sick.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the episode, lots of gameplay and majority of the ep was about the games, with good comedy at the start and end.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Toxic Avenger episode was such a fucking cringe fest. Easily the worst episode ever.

Can't wait to check out the new one.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Christmas one with Keith Apicary a year or two ago was the worst by far. Baffled by the praise that one got.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I was just wondering if there was an AVGN OT. I guess I already posted in it. I wonder if the OP would be interested in sprucing up the first post to make it look more... official. It was weird that it suddenly got turned into the OT.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
He's been pumping those out lately huh? Not complaining, i still find him entertaining.

Oct 25, 2017
A shame he skipped over Shadow and Silver's parts. Silver would have provided some amazing anger.

He's been pumping those out lately huh? Not complaining, i still find him entertaining.

No other major projects seem lined up right now.
Monster Madness is retired, no more Board James
He could be working on something secretly right now. Though it's possible he's doing smaller projects so he can have time with his kids.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A shame he skipped over Shadow and Silver's parts. Silver would have provided some amazing anger.

I'm gonna watch this later but that's a shame. I thought he didn't play Sonic 2006 enough and was hoping for a part 2 to see how he'd handle Silver and Shadow's parts. I don't see a point of making another video if it's just the Sonic ones.
(I actually beat Sonic 2006, and imo Sonic parts are the... uh, best ? for lack of a better word :/)

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I didn't expect this. I know the game's bad, but I didn't know it was this bad. All I know is the horrible loading.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I always enjoy when James goes back and redoes an old episode they're always way better then the originals.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Didn't think he would do a follow up to Sonic 06. To think it was my first PS3 game purchase, I honesty should've known better. Though it at least had one of the best OSTs in the series.

I would imagine if James did Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Oh boy did that game turn out worse!

Nov 2, 2017
That was surprisingly fast after the Sonic 06 Part 2 video.

Got a few chuckles out of me which is always good. Besides, I had heard this game was ass before, but didn't know it was that much ass.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet, just the first 60 seconds or so.

I'm...confused. Why is he endorsing shit freemium P2W garbage? That's...An odd decision.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm...confused. Why is he endorsing shit freemium P2W garbage? That's...An odd decision.
Definitely weird and it was at the start of the episode, he even advertises their own Blurays at the end.

Still, that was pretty entertaining episode, I like how much gameplay there has been in these episodes and they actually seem more like reviews. Maybe there's some Christmas Special coming up that goes back to the more nerdy format where things happen.

Nov 4, 2017
I was a big fan of this guy back when he was the Angry Nintendo Nerd. I'll have to revisit to see if his content holds up, I haven't watched any AVGN videos in years.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Definitely weird and it was at the start of the episode, he even advertises their own Blurays at the end.

Still, that was pretty entertaining episode, I like how much gameplay there has been in these episodes and they actually seem more like reviews. Maybe there's some Christmas Special coming up that goes back to the more nerdy format where things happen.

They paid him to do it. This is one of the few sponsored videos he does.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching AVGN since the early days, and it occurred to me how every time a new video comes out it's just... Off. It lacks authenticity. The writing is weak.

I wondered if he changed or if I'm just misremembering the old episodes, so I'm watching some old ones now (in particular, I have Karate Kid going on my screen at this moment). It was absolutely better in the old days. He felt invested, and he was insightful. New episodes feel like he's just going through motions and doesn't care about anything.