• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My two favorite episodes of all time are the original bible games episode and the sega cd episode.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic episode. Trespasser is legit one of my favourite games in terms of unexpressed potential, and playing it on a decent rig (compared to the ones of the times of course) and applying the first couple official patches is enough to fix most of the technical issues and the shitty hand controls. At that point the game is ambitious, is greatly atmospheric and has a real sense of survival going for it, long before said genre exploded (aside from the horror games). Happy to see AVGN talk about it, and instead of just shitting on it take the effort to talk about the immense ambition behind it, even going as far to have developer insight as to what went wrong with it. It's a game that was Far Cry + Half Life 2 several years before those games were even started being developed, and had it received a bit of extra funding and a bit more time to cook, chances are it would have revolutionized gaming with its advanced AI, it's open world-ish structure, its immersive nature and its emergent gameplay model that could have opened the flood of open world games far sooner than it happened.

Shit's Kitchen was out of nowhere and it was amazing, lol.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This episode was so good! It had lots of funny moments from game and Nerd and good information about game too.
It seems Trespasser had some interesting ideas and cool technologies for its time, but sadly the final product had lots of flaws. I wish we had more games like that (with better quality!) these days.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, the one with Gilbert Gottfried doesn't seem to be public anymore. It works with the link posted on this page, but it doesn't appear on their channel.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still see it under the avgn episode playlist on the avgn channel?
Might be a regional thing (I'm in Europe), but here's what I see:

ooEnH3w.png

It's missing there (I think it's supposed to be before or after the Pepsiman episode?), I've searched with the keywords Black Tiger, or Gottfried and it doesn't come up. It doesn't appear either in the whole videos list of the channel. At least for me. Weird.
I can still watch the video with the link on this page, I'll have to test with my VPN set to the US to see it it appears. It's not biggie but I'm curious.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the fact it seemed as though he did it in one long take, which is seriously impressive considering he had to play the game as well, but I wasn't a fan of how off-screen the footage was most of the time, especially with how small it was (could've also been due to watching on my phone). I want to see gameplay when he's giving examples of why the game is bad, not squint to maybe make out what's happening. Least near the end, it was bigger & easier to make out, i.e. when bringing up the Genesis version having gore.

Also huh, he got Analogue's NES console, that's cool.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the fact it seemed as though he did it in one long take, which is seriously impressive considering he had to play the game as well, but I wasn't a fan of how off-screen the footage was most of the time, especially with how small it was (could've also been due to watching on my phone). I want to see gameplay when he's giving examples of why the game is bad, not squint to maybe make out what's happening. Least near the end, it was bigger & easier to make out, i.e. when bringing up the Genesis version having gore.

Also huh, he got Analogue's NES console, that's cool.

It was all one long shot. Footage looked fine on my laptop, but I can understand it being hard to make out on a phone.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the fact that he went all out on the sets, but it also really hammered home the reason why people don't do the "one continuous shot" thing very often. Made the episode feel more gimmicky and a little harder to follow. And he does stuff like read off a prompter or cue card and doesn't look at the camera. It's a lot of extra work but the end result suffers for it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a great performer, fun episode. Obviously it didn't containt that much gameplay but it's the point of the formula, and it's not quite the first time half the episode goes away with setpieces and whatnot.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really liked the fact that he went all out on the sets, but it also really hammered home the reason why people don't do the "one continuous shot" thing very often. Made the episode feel more gimmicky and a little harder to follow. And he does stuff like read off a prompter or cue card and doesn't look at the camera. It's a lot of extra work but the end result suffers for it.
Exactly, didnt enjoyed that episode at all

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah the part where he read off a cue card really broke the immersion. I'm glad James largely pulled off a one shot episode, but I hope he never tries it again.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Single shot takes are useless to everyone other than the people making it. it's just a waste of time.