• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Billy Bayou was incredibly hard. I used to dabble with it when i was like 5 or 6 yo, but it was almost impossible to even proceed in stages.

I have seen this before, and I can see where people see this was an apology, but I don't think "I feel awful some people have taken it the wrong way" is saying he's sorry.

That statement is a lamentation that his work was bad and that his point was not delivered, not an apology for the hateful and hurtful content he produced. It's a variation on "Sorry you were offended."

To be fair, I feel like even if the joke was delivered "better" I would not support it. The comics he drew are incredibly offensive. I just can't imagine how you "fix" them enough to make them acceptable while keeping any of the same content.

I understand he can't go back and change it. And I understand what he was attempting. He should still be sorry. Genuinely so and without exception. When he is and expresses that then I can move on. But not before.

He never really apologized and that wasn't the only offense to the world he has done, he posted the following video on youtube, and posted his dick or someone's dick on the AVGN subreddit for everyone to see.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and james gunn isnt a pedophile either. they did comedy that was dreadful in an era of extremely edgy comedy, not excusing that but it doesn't make them racists or pedophiles.

That's a very disingenuous comparison, James Gunn apologized for those jokes and since them he sided himself with minorities and fully supported socially progressive stuff.

Mike never apologized, as far as I know, for those comics and he and James are very coy on actually talking about that stuff and keeps on his chests were they actually side on these issues.

Which is perfectly fine, but let's not fool ourselves with these comparisons.

Dec 25, 2018
James is stuck in a shitty situation. He was hoping the movie would be his escape from AVGN.

So what does every "wannabe" film maker do after obtaining more than enough to make a movie?

He went to Hollywood. Virtually blew all the funds filming in LA, whereas he could have filmed elsewhere for so much cheaper and make the film probably way better. It's such a shame really.

That's why the new episodes are basically him reading a script, he allegedly doesn't even write the new episodes.

He worked for Silvermania and was able to basically see what James did with the funds.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I'll remove it from mine as well, no need to not be civil :)

I agree Jontron is worse. All Mike really has to do is admit it was a bad decision and apologize and I'm basically over it. The comics are horrible and indefensible, but it's his non-apology after it came to light that really gets my goat. How hard is it to say "I was young, stupid, and have grown a lot. I never should have wrote those and I am deeply sorry for them."

He (Mike) actually did before.

EO9bxpi.jpg

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A great ep without a doubt but Spawn Armageddon is crap. You could compare it to a DMC clone. DMC 2 that is.
The HBO show my be forever unfinished but it´s good to this day.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
James is stuck in a shitty situation. He was hoping the movie would be his escape from AVGN.

So what does every "wannabe" film maker do after obtaining more than enough to make a movie?

He went to Hollywood. Virtually blew all the funds filming in LA, whereas he could have filmed elsewhere for so much cheaper and make the film probably way better. It's such a shame really.

That's why the new episodes are basically him reading a script, he allegedly doesn't even write the new episodes.

He worked for Silvermania and was able to basically see what James did with the funds.
That sub is a toxic shithole that just pulls fake shit from 4Chan. Don't believe anything posted there.

This Spawn episode was great, one of the better ones recently.

Dec 25, 2018
That sub is a toxic shithole that just pulls fake shit from 4Chan. Don't believe anything posted there.

This Spawn episode was great, one of the better ones recently.

I mean the guy worked with James soooo

I don't see the "Loco Bandito" as fake. There's videos of Justin saying the N-word. Cinemassacre isn't the "angelic" channel it seems you think it is.

Sure, the memes can be dumb but even Bootsy came out and said how they fucked him over.

Also the "fake stuff from 4Chan" is actually from Kieran, who leaked pictures of James' kids.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He (Mike) actually did before.

EO9bxpi.jpg
That's still no apology, it's a 'sorry you were offended' non-apology. Don't think his edgelord bigoted ways left him, they're still on display in the Elmo video. Not sure it was worth watching all the way through for Mike Matei to go on about smacking women, blowjobs, showing a cunnilingus comic of Gordon and his wife, and masturbating into a blanket.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Mike's actions are deplorable and should not be supported. So long as James stands with him, I refuse to support him. The more attention on this the better. People should be aware that Mike has done some very bad things.
Mike drawn a stupidly racist one-page comic 15 years ago.
I don't even like the guy, and I never thought he was talented in anyway. The Video Rental crew and Bootsy are way more likable and talented than him.
And he is an idiot, of course.

But geez, we' re not talking about Roman Polanski. Or JonTron.

And I don't see how that could be a reason to boycott James. He seems like a genuinely great guy, and he did point at some racist jokes in the old Three Stooges shorts.

Wait. What's wrong with metal Jesus rocks?
Maybe he meant AlphaOmegaSin ?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
AVGN isn't funny or creative anymore, and it is really obvious that James doesn't care (I think he just reads a script written by the "screenwave" guys). Can't blame him though... Honestly I think he should have "rebranded" it a long time ago into something different, even if it meant losing views.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mike drawn a stupidly racist one-page comic 15 years ago.
I don't even like the guy, and I never thought he was talented in anyway. The Video Rental crew and Bootsy are way more likable and talented than him.
And he is an idiot, of course.

But geez, we' re not talking about Roman Polanski. Or JonTron.

And I don't see how that could be a reason to boycott James. He seems like a genuinely great guy, and he did point at some racist jokes in the old Three Stooges shorts.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there were two equally horrible comics. As I've said before, the non-apology is why it sits so poorly with me. He isn't sorry for what he created, only that people didn't find it funny. That's called standing behind your work.

As for James, so long as his work pays Mike and/or Mike is helping with creative on James' content, I can't participate.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AVGN isn't funny or creative anymore, and it is really obvious that James doesn't care (I think he just reads a script written by the "screenwave" guys). Can't blame him though... Honestly I think he should have "rebranded" it a long time ago into something different, even if it meant losing views.
His Youtube channel has been consistently growing for years. I think it's just you...

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there were two equally horrible comics. As I've said before, the non-apology is why it sits so poorly with me. He isn't sorry for what he created, only that people didn't find it funny. That's called standing behind your work.

I meant a one-page comic series, but I see that I left it ambigous with my wording.
His apology was shitty, but I read it as totally improvised and Mike seems too stupid to have calculated a non-apologetic apology. I think you're giving him too much credit. I don't think he's dogwhistling like many people do with their non-apologetic apologies.

That said, I think it's an idiot and deserves his failed "internet persona" career. I just don't think he deserves a full-blown boycott toward the channel.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
If he's really not feeling AVGN he could rebrand into a more serious channel. He has serious videos and I really like them.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I meant a one-page comic series, but I see that I left it ambigous with my wording.
His apology was shitty, but I read it as totally improvised and Mike seems too stupid to have calculated a non-apologetic apology. I think you're giving him too much credit. I don't think he's dogwhistling like many people do with their non-apologetic apologies.

That said, I think it's an idiot and deserves his failed "internet persona" career. I just don't think he deserves a full-blown boycott toward the channel.
Let me get this right. Your defense for him is that he is "too stupid" to apologize properly? I'm not buying it.

Non apologies are consciously-selected work arounds by people who don't feel like they did anything wrong but recognize their actions are causing them and/or perception of them discord.

I don't know if he is dog-whistling. But I do think he is standing behind the intent in his work rather than accepting his failed attempt is horrific and offensive. I don't care what he meant to accomplish: he failed spectacularly and the result is horrible. It demands an actual apology.

I don't want him to make money because of me. That is why I boycott the channel. I don't expect everyone to agree or join in. It's my personal choice.

Oct 25, 2017

People keep repeating that he doesn't write the episodes but at no point has there been any evidence.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? I'm talking about quality, not popularity. Obviously he still gets a lot of views
These metrics are correlated though, if people didn't like his videos quality they wouldn't be subbing. I'm watching him since the first year. Personally I didn't see any dip in quality and he's one of the most consistent Youtubers I can think of. I think he's just grown creatively. In the old days it was just him shouting made up swear words for comedic effect, but now his reviews are actually usable as reviews and not just as collections of swearing for fun.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

He sorta confirmed this at a con he was recently in. One of the guys in the audience asked about the process of writing the scripts and he mentioned recent AVGN episodes being rotated between games he is passionate for and has written the script and games that the screenwave guys wrote and think will be a bit hit.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The best part of Spawn episode was Justin as the clown! He played so good and at first I thought he's a professional actor!

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find this on Reddit. I know it's really him because it sounds like his tweets, but is there a link?
If you go to that truth site, just search 'apology' and it will show the result.

I can't really direct to the link since that place is pretty much toxic with nasty comments and harassment to Cinemassacre and James Rolfe. Criticizing them is fine, but not with those bad language and harassing included, that's even directed to their personal life and family.