• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Spawn

Now the 2 Pat The NES Punk videos with the Nerd. They kind of pick up after the NWC episodes.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
AVGN has been pretty bad recently, but I thought this Spawn episode was pretty good. Haven't seen the Bayou Billy & The Punisher video yet, but the Combat one was the funniest Nerd related thing I've seen in a long time.

Edit: Oh, the Bayou Billy / The Punisher video isn't even new.

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Rob the Robot as player 4 and being fucking useless was gold.

Oh and hey, I never knew there was a decent Spawn game on PS2.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Bayou Billy one is from like 5 years ago but i guess Pat reupped it?

The Combat one had the old nerd energy, Pat has good chemistry with James

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can't be a AVGN thread without bringing up the Mike thing every freaking time. First reply no less.

On topic: video was cool, the friend playing the clown was weirdly convincing
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Mike's actions are deplorable and should not be supported. So long as James stands with him, I refuse to support him. The more attention on this the better. People should be aware that Mike has done some very bad things.

considering you probably still wouildnt care if he wasnt lets not do this performative concern trolling in every avgn thread ever
Let's not falsify things. I used to watch his videos regularly until the Mike stuff. I can't support it.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Spawn video was good. Small thing, but when he used the cheat code on the snes spawn game to go to hell and he ended up facing the same enemy, it made me chuckle. I guess last time i really laughed was in the Sega Activator video. Still good content from him.

Mar 26, 2018
AVGN has been pretty bad recently, but I thought this Spawn episode was pretty good. Haven't seen the Bayou Billy & The Punisher video yet, but the Combat one was the funniest Nerd related thing I've seen in a long time.

Edit: Oh, the Bayou Billy / The Punisher video isn't even new.
I agree, I really disliked the latest actual avgn episode in one shot, it was so far off and just wasn't good.

I think it has to basically do to James just not wanting to put in much work or effort as he did before. If you watch enough videos you can often tell he is in that mind set and like the one episode that I forget what it was where mike and james talk about how mike had to urge james on to do more avgn after the first 1, 2 3 etc

Nov 23, 2017
I agree, I really disliked the latest actual avgn episode in one shot, it was so far off and just wasn't good.

I think it has to basically do to James just not wanting to put in much work or effort as he did before. If you watch enough videos you can often tell he is in that mind set and like the one episode that I forget what it was where mike and james talk about how mike had to urge james on to do more avgn after the first 1, 2 3 etc
no, this is so off base. yeah, he has diversified into other shows but you only need to watch The Immortal's behind the scenes video to see that James puts in an extreme amount of work and creative input and the entirety of the one shot was masterminded and pulled off by him and his crew. dont insult him or their crew with shit like this.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
i edited my post, i was off base and i shouldnt have posted that. but i'd hardly hardly say he's a racist. jontron is a racist. mike made a dreadful comic 15 years ago
I'll remove it from mine as well, no need to not be civil :)

I agree Jontron is worse. All Mike really has to do is admit it was a bad decision and apologize and I'm basically over it. The comics are horrible and indefensible, but it's his non-apology after it came to light that really gets my goat. How hard is it to say "I was young, stupid, and have grown a lot. I never should have wrote those and I am deeply sorry for them."

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

considering how atypical and how difficult it must have been to film the last avgn episode, i wouldn't say it's a matter of less effort.

Nov 23, 2017
I'll remove it from mine as well, no need to not be civil :)

I agree Jontron is worse. All Mike really has to do is admit it was a bad decision and apologize and I'm basically over it. The comics are horrible and indefensible, but it's his non-apology after it came to light that really gets my goat. How hard is it to say "I was young, stupid, and have grown a lot. I never should have wrote those and I am deeply sorry for them."
thank you for also editing your post.

i agree with you on that, but he HAS apologized. I didn't take that as insincere personally. but the implication that mike is equal to the regular stable of youtube alt right people i tend to see on era is pretty wrong to me, that's where I'm coming from. He is still obviously paid and part of cinemassacre but I don't know how much he works on Nerd videos anymore, I think Screenwave has filled the role of James' crew/writer team since 2017

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
thank you for also editing your post.

i don't disagree with you at all, but he HAS apologized. I didn't take that as insincere personally. but the implication that mike is equal to the regular stable of youtube alt right people i tend to see on era is pretty wrong to me, that's where I'm coming from. He is still obviously paid and part of cinemassacre but I don't know how much he works on Nerd videos anymore, I think Screenwave has filled the role of James' crew/writer team since 2017
I wouldn't mind a link to the apology if you have one, perhaps I missed it?

Mar 26, 2018
no, this is so off base. yeah, he has diversified into other shows but you only need to watch The Immortal's behind the scenes video to see that James puts in an extreme amount of work and creative input and the entirety of the one shot was masterminded and pulled off by him and his crew. dont insult him or their crew with shit like this.
No. He doesn't. He does more let's plays and sit and talk videos while others are doing the work. You understand that he edits and writes the avgn episodes which are fewer etc while Mike edits most everything else. James doesn't even know or choose what they play on Mondays. I think you are seeing the overall picture.

James has nothing to do with his merch as well. A company handles every aspect of it and it's a bit rough. I think James does a lot less than most actually realize and I'm not saying he should or shouldn't but there is a reason the channel has less views on videos even though total views are higher. It's pretty clear nerd wants to relax more than work often imo

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018
considering how atypical and how difficult it must have been to film the last avgn episode, i wouldn't say it's a matter of less effort.
I would imagine the years difference in content matters more than 1 video and again even that video shows his change in getting more help from others. I actually think a regular nerd video is more actual work for James. You are talking difficulty.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The Immortal was a bottom-tier episode, one of my least favorites for sure. I also really disliked the Trespasser one; it just felt off. Other than that I think he's been on a pretty good streak lately. It's clear he leans on the help of others nowadays, but if that's what he needs to keep AVGN going, so be it. I feel the quality is good enough to keep it going at least a few more years.

Mar 26, 2018
The Immortal was a bottom-tier episode, one of my least favorites for sure. I also really disliked the Trespasser one; it just felt off. Other than that I think he's been on a pretty good streak lately. It's clear he leans on the help of others nowadays, but if that's what he needs to keep AVGN going, so be it. I feel the quality is good enough to keep it going at least a few more years.
Relying on friends is what will bring it down more and more. James wouldn't be popular either if he was starting out today with what he's doing now imo

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Relying on friends is what will bring it down more and more. James wouldn't be popular either if he was starting out today with what he's doing now imo
But he's not starting out today. He was the one to popularize this entire genre and he just wants to keep it alive for his many fans. Preaching to the choir essentially. I fail to see how it's gonna bring it down further. I will say the glory days are over though, I'd say he hit his peak at around season 5, but I still watch everything he puts out, it's a comfort-food kind of thing for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched most of it. Honestly, I think his videos are just getting worse because they just seem rote. The Home Alone one was fun mostly because of the novelty of having Culkin there with him, and Earthbound was interesting since it wasn't a traditional review. But at this point, I'd have to go back half a decade or more to find a streak that I've consistently enjoyed. Which is fine, as it's ok to move on from stuff you used to like.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
The making of video for The Immortal is really good and goes into detail how much work it was. Makes you appreciate the craft. even if it fell a bit fat.

Mar 26, 2018
But he's not starting out today. He was the one to popularize this entire genre and he just wants to keep it alive for his many fans. Preaching to the choir essentially. I fail to see how it's gonna bring it down further. I will say the glory days are over though, I'd say he hit his peak at around season 5, but I still watch everything he puts out, it's a comfort-food kind of thing for me.
The point was worse content.

His fans will get older and that's just another step of losing views and fans..

At least he isn't as bad ad metal jesus rocks and his no idea what to do

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The point was worse content.

His fans will get older and that's just another step of losing views and fans..

At least he isn't as bad ad metal jesus rocks and his no idea what to do
Legit surprises me how Metal Jesus Rocks still survives. I'm glad because he often has good guides for older systems, but his content is so homogeneous.

Mar 26, 2018
Legit surprises me how Metal Jesus Rocks still survives. I'm glad because he often has good guides for older systems, but his content is so homogeneous.
I 100 percent believe he barely plays games. He mostly uses generic words to describe games and any depth that may be there he's obviously researched the devixe, game or developer. While that's common of course it just doesn't seem anything he is doing is for hobby. It honestly seems everything he's doing from collecting ganes, creating videos etc is a front just to earn money and exploit it as much as he can imo

I often see fans of his way they love his videos and games of information etc but it really isn't there.

He needs a major overhaul as those videos whwre it's essentially a slide show or those where he just stands there and talks about games he doesn't play more than 5 minutes of are rather bad honestly.

I don't know what fans get out of it if they don't see how bare bones and full of nothing it is.

I'd give Mike some credit there. Atkeast he plays and wants to play what he's showing

Sep 15, 2019
Justin absolutely crushed it this episode. Had a hard time realizing it was him outside of a few times where you could tell the voice was starting to wear on his vocal chords.

Definitely liking how things are turning out with James really working with a group and not just doing everything by himself. While not everything is the gold that was spun years ago look at the games and material he's covering. He's been through nearly all of the classics and legendary bad games so we're looking at different approaches to make what is basically bottom of the barrel material more entertaining.

It's not great but enough to confirm I think that he's just really stupid that that he's a hateful horrible person.

Hadn't seen this before so appreciate them getting posted. While the comics were definitely in bad taste it never seemed like something that was an ongoing thing or like he truly harbored racist beliefs. I can totally get the edgelord humor angle and remember time when I was much younger, really immature, and didn't understand how sensitive certain subjects are. Live and learn. No one is perfect and the dude is owning up that it just doesn't work, it was tryhard offensive humor, and he was shit at writing it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's not great but enough to confirm I think that he's just really stupid that that he's a hateful horrible person.

I have seen this before, and I can see where people see this was an apology, but I don't think "I feel awful some people have taken it the wrong way" is saying he's sorry.

That statement is a lamentation that his work was bad and that his point was not delivered, not an apology for the hateful and hurtful content he produced. It's a variation on "Sorry you were offended."

To be fair, I feel like even if the joke was delivered "better" I would not support it. The comics he drew are incredibly offensive. I just can't imagine how you "fix" them enough to make them acceptable while keeping any of the same content.

I understand he can't go back and change it. And I understand what he was attempting. He should still be sorry. Genuinely so and without exception. When he is and expresses that then I can move on. But not before.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really fun episode, the R.O.B. cameo was amazing. AVGN is best when he focuses on a whole theme or propety and explores it all, throwing in nice bits of info about it and legitimately being informative even beyond telling us how shitty the games are. And some of the games in this review looked pretty solid, in particular the Dreamcast one which I'd gladly play if I had the means.