• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
British journalist Gary Younge takes to the road to understand Trump's America

Gary talking to Spencer...

I would have knocked him out..

Gary Younge does not lack guts. The British journalist has reported from the US for 12 years and has "never seen it this bad", with one community in particular suffering from existential despair, a drug crisis, radical lack of self-esteem and a loss of identity. "It's time to talk about white people," he asserts grimly. In Angry, White and American, he takes to the road to understand Trump's America.

Source:
https://www.ft.com/content/d75972ee-c02d-11e7-b8a3-38a6e068f464

On Channel 4 in UK. Interesting but also gets me angry as hell with the shit spewed out...

11redder

Oct 27, 2017
"Africans have benefitted from their experience of white supremacy" and "That's not your real home" says white asshole of European origin living in the US (amongst many other despicable things). Jesus fuck.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
What does he mean with "because I'm called Richard Spencer"? The interviewer is called Gary Younge, an English name through and through. Or did it he just assume he was called something different? You'd think he remember who asked him for an interview.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much of Richard Spencer or what his beliefs are, because I don't actually actively seek out information about him or what to give him any undeserved attention, but this video really showed me what a misguided, pompous, and dangerous individual he is when given media attention. I'm seriously pissed off after watching just that snippet.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
We need leaders in this country who are more concerned with the growing disease known as the alt-right than they are of "radical Islamic terrorism." That is, in my eyes, the most substantial threat to our safety at home.

Our youth is becoming brainwashed with this bullshit due to indoctrination from various angles, from parents, relatives, friends, and most importantly, the internet. Substandard education definitely isn't helping the issue. I feel like social issues need to be pushed to the forefront in school, as well as critical thinking and urging kids to fact check what they read online. If you can't find reliable sources, the story can't be verified as the truth.

Let me edit this post and just say this important bit.

I think anyone over the age of probably 35-40 who is sold into the alt-right mentality should be written off as a lost cause at this point. The youth are the most important people to try to save from this shit.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the root problem of the democratic party in this country. Bernie Sanders was the only one really talking about the middle class. The middle class getting destroyed is just being ignored by most and its leading to this mass of angry white people who are turning to racial warfare as a cause for their problems after being bombarded by right wing propaganda claiming its the root of their evils. The government is providing no help for a collapsing middle class and the economic recovery Obama oversaw all went to Wallstreet and the wealthy. A heavy populist message of universal healthcare, debt forgiveness, free college and higher taxes on the wealthy and you could get some of these people back voting for their own interests with an actual plan for them instead of the message of we aren't as bad as Trump.

Oct 31, 2017
Extremism thrives when people feel things are getting worse in their lives, that they have no opportunities and no future. The economy (and probably society in general because of that) just isn't working for the vast majority anymore, and until thats addressed extremism will continue to get worse.
If mainstream politicians can't provide answers then people will turn to other people who claim (wrong though they are) to be able to.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is the root problem of the democratic party in this country. Bernie Sanders was the only one really talking about the middle class. The middle class getting destroyed is just being ignored by most and its leading to this mass of angry white people who are turning to racial warfare as a cause for their problems after being bombarded by right wing propaganda claiming its the root of their evils. The government is providing no help for a collapsing middle class and the economic recovery Obama oversaw all went to Wallstreet and the wealthy. A heavy populist message of universal healthcare, debt forgiveness, free college and higher taxes on the wealthy and you could get some of these people back voting for their own interests with an actual plan for them instead of the message of we aren't as bad as Trump.

No the root cause is that White America does not want to compete or be on the same level as POC. They didn't "turn" to racial warfare, its in every facet of American society.

That is all there is to it.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
As a black man born and raised in London, hearing some American try to say that I am somehow a foreigner in my own home quickly set my blood to boil.

To go even further and to then say that slavery was a net positive because black Americans are in s good place now or that he feels pride in the works made be people enslaved by his ancestors makes me realise just how thin the white supremacy veneer is and terrifies me that so many people are drawn to it.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Civilized arguments seems to go over his head and he starts whining about "ancestry" a lot.
I liked the one where he gets punched in the face better.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No the root cause is that White America does not want to compete or be on the same level as POC. They didn't "turn" to racial warfare, its in every facet of American society.

That is all there is to it.

I don't disagree with this. There is a solid base of tens of millions of born and raised racists in this country that have never gone away and probably never will unless the USA is finally willing to confront its a country built on genocide, imperialism and slavery. But we have seen a huge uptick in the number of racist people in this country in the last 10 years and I think my earlier post is a pretty good explanation for what has happened. Their financial situation continues to get worse, the opiod epidemic springs up from economic depression, the Dems offer no solutions, while right wing propaganda blames immigration and African Americans and you see a massive uptick in racism. Fix the problems with the middle class in this country and you'll see a regression in the amount of racists and racist rhetoric in this country.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
All journalists should be treating him that way. Just end the fucking interview when bullshit like black people benefiting from slavery is uttered.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Fix the problems with the middle class in this country and you'll see a regression in the amount of racists and racist rhetoric in this country.
I wish it were that simple. There are plenty of countries with more generous welfare states and bigger middle classes that have horrific racism and nativism. I would like to believe that better public education and universal health care would help, but I am not at all confident. Because my guess is that white backlash isn't about their shitty absolute economic condition; it's about their perceived economic condition relative to non-whites.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I wish it were that simple. There are plenty of countries with more generous welfare states and bigger middle classes that have horrific racism and nativism. I would like to believe that better public education and universal health care would help, but I am not at all confident. Because my guess is that white backlash isn't about their shitty absolute economic condition; it's about their perceived economic condition relative to non-whites.

It's more about degrees of racism than "fixing" it.

My family is a GREAT example.

My poor aunt's family - Us living in a shithole, eating/drinking ourselves to death etc, country sucks because of Obama and the Muslims who want Sharia Law! N word this N word that.
My upper/middle aunt's tree of the family - Sneer at football players taking a knee. Dog whistle level shit on top of that.

Raised by the same racist fucks.

Difference is my aunt who lives in a shit hole has alot more to be angry about, so by blaming others for her shit life it only intensifies her racist shit. If my two aunts had married opposite men (neither have worked a day in their life so it would be an economic flip) I'd bet their level of racist crap would flip.

This would also make a huge impact for "borderline" racists. The ones who don't believe in pizzagate or that there are secret Muslims ready to take over America. They just have shit lives, get treated like shit by basically everyone, and are sick of hearing how they are "privileged" and get bitter when they see other groups who are more actively oppressed get attention for it.

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I get it, the angry white thing.

I'm poor white trash..My mom hopped on dudes when I was young, we did government housing..My brothers an opiate addict, lost his kid, has a pregnant 19 year old GF. And that's the story for most of my friends and family. My best friend was pistol whipped then shot in the chest when I was 15 at a house party.
We all hail from Trenton/Camden NJ..pretty infamous for the Black crimes and gangs..but nobody pays attention to white folk stuggling and in the game or 'trash' cause the idea is "You were born white, if you didnt make it..you did something wrong and didnt take advantage of your priviledge!"

I made it... I dropped out of HS, had a kid, battled addiction, washed cars to rent a trailer in a trailer park. Sold a little weed and coke.
I worked my way from being 20 and thinking jail or dead was my only option.

I go back, I see these people..angry racist white folks.
The ghetto and poor isnt just a minorty thing anymore. I think the poor white demographic has GROWN substantially and is saying "Wheres my priviledge!!"

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't disagree with this. There is a solid base of tens of millions of born and raised racists in this country that have never gone away and probably never will unless the USA is finally willing to confront its a country built on genocide, imperialism and slavery. But we have seen a huge uptick in the number of racist people in this country in the last 10 years and I think my earlier post is a pretty good explanation for what has happened. Their financial situation continues to get worse, the opiod epidemic springs up from economic depression, the Dems offer no solutions, while right wing propaganda blames immigration and African Americans and you see a massive uptick in racism. Fix the problems with the middle class in this country and you'll see a regression in the amount of racists and racist rhetoric in this country.

No you haven't. Just because something is now somewhat overt again, doesn't change the fact it has been there from the start.

I will say it again. The very genesis of American society was built on the idea of white supremacy and its roots are felt in every aspect of it.

Bingo.

Last edited: