• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Why are animals so weak against this tech?

Did the human species reign supreme because we evolved hands and fingers to perform belly rub? Like up until this point the other animals never felt anything like this before?

80f3a47ff645ff94f6a5628fef7b804f.gif

LnjeLZZdTCSdzBKZBJqH_b4.gif

4501ab13a58b1bd4736473f3c1aaf6cb_belly1.jpg

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
My dog literally falls into a state of euphoria and twitches until he has the aura of a celestial being.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a place they can't reach easily, human kind destiny is to pet every animal and make them happy.

Oct 25, 2017
Generally they can't reach their own bellies, so it's an entirely new and pleasurable experience.

Unless it's a cat. A cat will trick you into thinking it wants a belly rub and then attack the SHIT out of you because you should have known better. Except for my giant 35-pounder. He loves belly rubs. I swear he should have been born as a golden retriever.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely hit or miss with cats. I have one cat who stretches out and can't get enough tummy rubs and one who will bite you (gently) almost immediately if you touch his stomach.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I bet it also felt better with hands than whatever style parrots are into.
The issue with parrots is that parrots see rubs as a form of social preening. A parrot can preen its own belly, so the only other parrot it lets preen its belly is its mate. Because a parrot can't preen its head/neck, it lets whatever other parrot preen it without them being considered a mate. Which is why the only "safe" areas for pets on a parrot are the neck and above.

With the bigger birds, that can lead to frustration because you're offering something you can't deliver.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had cats in the past that like belly rubs but I'm not even remotely going there with our current one. I'd need like 50 band-aids and a gallon of Bactine after that attempt.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm laughing at that hedgehog; he's way into that.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
One of my cats is okay with belly rubs. The other one is okay for a little while, then springs shut like a bear trap, clawing with the front paws, kicking with the back ones, and biting with his teeth, before running off. If I could see a cohesive history of all the cat scratches I've gotten on my arms over the years, I'd look like a movie monster.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Our cat is weird. She brings us to a specific mat, and rolls on her back to insist on receiving a belly rub. No claws used, ever.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Man, if you think dogs like belly rubs, try scratching their butts. You'll have a new best friend in 8 seconds.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animals actually don't like this. They freeze up and/or struggle because their stomachs are a vulnerable point.

This is humans trying to anthropomorphize animal reactions with human emotions.

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
The ancient Greeks often sentenced especially heinous offenders to death by having them rub a lion's belly. Not a lot of people know this.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
My cat lets me rub her belly and chest for a few seconds and then starts biting me hand and scratching with her hind legs. I think it bothers her most of the time. I don't let it stop me though. My hand it usually covered in red marks from her.

She's a calico and pretty aggressive but she will still lick my hand when I pet her head.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
http://i./i/pix/2015/07/21/11/2AB739D200000578-3169343-The_man_scrubs_the_lion_s_belly_with_a_lathering_soap_while_it_r-a-47_1437474348307.jpg

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
My cat loves a belly rub. No claws, ever. She will roll over and stay on her back until she gets one.

That's the only cat I've known who won't use claws, though.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
My dog (Just passed away last week :( ) loved belly rubs. Ever since he was a puppy he has this technique where he's get right in front of your legs and then sit down on your feet then roll over with his belly up so you'd have to give him belly rubs.

He would even block you off if he caught you going toward a door without first giving him a belly rub, he'd make a mad dash for the doorway before you so you'd have to get past him first with a belly rub before leaving.

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
Animals actually don't like this. They freeze up and/or struggle because their stomachs are a vulnerable point.

This is humans trying to anthropomorphize animal reactions with human emotions.

My cat turns over on her back specifically to ask for belly rubs/combing and knows it's coming and highly enjoys it so no.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
My parent's dogs never used to roll over for belly rubs until I started dating my current girlfriend. First time she came over she rubbed their bellies and ever since they'll just walk over to you, roll onto their back and stare at you until you rub their belly.

Also a friend of mine has a cat who will come over, roll on their back looking like he wants belly rubs. Then will SCRATCH THE FUCK OUT OF YOU if you try to touch his belly. He was a rescue and seems to still have some trust issues.