• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Update - Animal Crossing has now gone over 3M (physical only) in 3 weeks.
Switch has sold 830K in those 3 weeks.

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2020 (Mar 30 - Apr 05)

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2020 (Mar 30 - Apr 05) 01./01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) 02./00. [PS4] Resident Evil 3 # (Capcom) {2020.04.03} (¥7.800) 03./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) 04./03. [NSW] One Piece...

Both Animal Crossing & Switches are still hard to find, so there is probably still pent up demand.

----Original OP:

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2020 (Mar 16 - Mar 22)

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2020 (Mar 16 - Mar 22) 01./00. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) 02./01. [PS4] Nioh 2 (Koei Tecmo) {2020.03.12} (¥7.800) 03./02. [NSW] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (Pokemon Co.) {2020.03.06} (¥5.980) 04./04...
For reference switch did 330K at launch.

Animal Crossing is a draw brother

per hiska:

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2020 (Mar 16 - Mar 22)

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2020 (Mar 16 - Mar 22) 01./00. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) 02./01. [PS4] Nioh 2 (Koei Tecmo) {2020.03.12} (¥7.800) 03./02. [NSW] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (Pokemon Co.) {2020.03.06} (¥5.980) 04./04...

It sold pretty much the same as the W1's of New Leaf + Happy Home Designer + Wild World + City Folk combined

Chris suggests that with digital this is the best W1 ever in japan:

New Horizons must be around 3m or even more with digital, this is will be a really tough record to break.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For comparison, Pokémon sword shield did something like 1.3m OW in Japan.

That's downright ridiculous sales.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
You aint Mazi, much dissapoint.

Also of note, this is not just the highest opening of a Switch game in japan, with digital around 25%(best guesses put it quite a bit higher) it would also be the biggest opening of a game ever in japan.

And this is a AC game, which are usally more known for their great legs, not great openings.
With typical AC legs this game could get to 20M when all is said and done.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly this has a chance of being the second most popular title for the switch behind Mario kart, these sales are just insane

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
PSA, with an extremely realistic, and likey even conservative, digital share of 30% (actually lower than all recent Nintendo titles in Japan) this is the best launch of all time in Japan, beating Pokémon Black and White at 2.6m and Final Fantasy VIII at 2.5m.

According to our own sale expert Chris in the MC thread we are looking at around 3m for the first week.

History in the making.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Will something ever top this?

the only two that may be able to achieve this are Splatoon 3 and Final Fantasy 7.

or ... a Mario Kart Ultimate ...

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Did Nintendo somehow know Animal Crossing for Switch would be such a monster hit? Even for animal crossing standards? If so, kinda explains why there has been no Nintendo direct yet

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I know people always joked about game X being delayed because of Animal Crossing.
But honestly for some of the high profile releases that were scheduled to hit around AC its probably best that they were delayed a bit...those are crazy numbers and probably would have negatively impacted other releases.

Also 400k Switches is nuts.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I guess that goes to show that the Switch boost could have carried Sword and Shield to much, much greater heights if the game were actually good like New Horizons :^P

Those are crazy numbers, I'm surprised the stock was there to support that many consoles!

Oct 25, 2017
Those are crazy numbers, I'm surprised the stock was there to support that many consoles!
Common practice is that to prepare for an expected large sales release, Nintendo would withold some weekly stock in order to provide supply for retailers. This can last weeks or months at a time to provide the buffer.

This is no different.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty incredible. It's like 1/3 bigger than the next biggest Switch launch, Pokemon. That is a huge gap.

I wonder if we can call Animal Crossing the biggest console video game franchise in Japan at the moment...

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Common practice is stock can be somewhat held back weeks at a time in order to provide supply for a tentpole release.

This is no different.
Yeah that definitely explains the last couple weeks of like 3K OG Switches sold there. I'm sure coronavirus played a part as well but they were definitely stockpiling those things for this storm.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Animal Crossing has been a huge franchise in Japan since Wild World on DS. Wild World and New Leaf are among the top 10 best-selling games ever in Japan with over 5m units sold. New Leaf launch, further, was hampered by stock issues: it would have no issue in opening above 1m. Worldwide the franchise has been big (5-6m units for both Wild World and New Leaf) but not as in Japan even though it cultivated a pretty strong and dedicated fan following.

I think that many reasons played into this result:
  • high quality game;
  • game can played both on TV and on the go;
  • great strategy in nurturing the fanbase over the years with spin-offs and merchandising;
  • new mainline entry since New Leaf 7 years ago;
  • Animal Crossing characters in Smash;
  • Switch is a popular platform;
  • mobile game is moderately popular;
  • Friday was a public holiday.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
People been starving for a proper AC since New Leaf and it's on "console" again too. Good to see the spin offs and the other not so great games didn't damage the brand.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Did Nintendo somehow know Animal Crossing for Switch would be such a monster hit? Even for animal crossing standards? If so, kinda explains why there has been no Nintendo direct yet

I mean, AC has been a monster hit previously--isn't new leaf like the 2nd best selling 3ds game?

but also i know a ton of people trying it out this time who hadn't before, and a lot of those people are newer to gaming and got a switch. so sort of a double whammy of appealing to casual folks and the console itself being accessible to non gamers.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

It's been explained to me that New Leaf could have done better at launch but was supply constrained.

So I checked New Leaf's MC data and it stayed in the top 5 or thereabouts for SIX MONTHS. Now granted towards the end of that it was because there wasn't that much charting big numbers, but it was doing close to 100K a week for a looooong time. I would have been reading the threads at the time, but somehow I totally forgot...and Switch has sold a few million more than 3DS had at the time, so the userbase is higher too. And of course it's been hyped for the first big change since the 64 game, all of which were well received by games media. It was in the data if you looked.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch had shortages during the last few weeks, so I don't think those hardware numbers are really relevant. But yeah, great number for Animal Crossing.
Regardless of the reasons its still Switch best week ever hw wise - so thats def. relevant. Especially since Switch represents mosts of the market right now.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Expected, and yet so much more higher than expected lol. Insane numbers, bigger than launch what.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Switch had shortages during the last few weeks, so I don't think those hardware numbers are really relevant. But yeah, great number for Animal Crossing.
I mean it beat the launch week, in which the Switch sold 0 units the week prior

Plus the Switch still sold 57K last week which beats week 11 2019 so it's not like there weren't any units anywhere.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Will something ever top this?

the only two that may be able to achieve this are Splatoon 3 and Final Fantasy 7.

or ... a Mario Kart Ultimate ...
FF7R(which i assume is what you meant by FF7) has no chance to top this, unless you combine all launches of the different episodes into one.

Pretty incredible. It's like 1/3 bigger than the next biggest Switch launch, Pokemon. That is a huge gap.

I wonder if we can call Animal Crossing the biggest console video game franchise in Japan at the moment...

Yes, but no.
AC is the biggest one by individual release, but in the span of New Leaf to New Horizons , Pokemon Released XY, ORAS, SM, USUM, Lets Go and SWSH.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
DAMN !!!

Impressive (ridiculous even) numbers. Should try an Animal Crossing one day. Was never interested in it, actually don't even really know what it is about.... :-D

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I mean, AC has been a monster hit previously--isn't new leaf like the 2nd best selling 3ds game?

but also i know a ton of people trying it out this time who hadn't before, and a lot of those people are newer to gaming and got a switch. so sort of a double whammy of appealing to casual folks and the console itself being accessible to non gamers.
Depends on if you mean WW or Japan only.

In japan it is the best selling 3DS game, but WW its top 7.

For some reason I thought Famitsu includes digital estimates in their numbers but I guess it doesn't?
They do include Digital "estimates", however they are completely made up and should always be ignored.

We have much evidence where their "estimates" directly contradict publicly aviable data, especially concerning Nintendo titles(because their "estimates" are just polling a specific audience that isnt equally interested in every type of game).

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
Holy guacamole...

Totally deserved. Amazing game.

I wonder how it's preforming here in Europe. We'll soon see I guess.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
PSA, with an extremely realistic, and likey even conservative, digital share of 30% (actually lower than all recent Nintendo titles in Japan) this is the best launch of all time in Japan, beating Pokémon Black and White at 2.6m and Final Fantasy VIII at 2.5m.

According to our own sale expert Chris in the MC thread we are looking at around 3m for the first week.

History in the making.
LM3 and SMM2 didn't hit 30% share.

But yeah, 3M is quite possible for a debut. Crazy!