• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The fact that Animal Crossing is also known for its legs instead of opening debuts means we're probably going to be seeing AC in the weekly sales threads for quite a while. All without counting digital. These sales numbers are insane.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that pretty much every other publisher is seeing declines both in market share and real terms whilst Nintendo is seeing the best ever numbers for a lot of their franchises.

It's almost like Japan as a market isn't actually dead.🤔

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Animal Crossing is also known for its legs instead of opening debuts means we're probably going to be seeing AC in the weekly sales threads for quite a while. All without counting digital. These sales numbers are insane.
new leaf ended up selling 8 times its launch week in its lifetime (and it's not yet truly done selling). with similar legs new horizons can get to some crazy numbers.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But Animal Crossing is a niche franchise!
/s

I knew this game would sell extremely well. Props to the dev team and Nintendo!

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Regardless of the reasons its still Switch best week ever hw wise - so thats def. relevant. Especially since Switch represents mosts of the market right now.
Yes, but you can't compare to Pokemon Sword/Shield launch for example, because it weren't shortages during weeks before its launch. Same for Smash Bros. Ultimate launch.

Plus the Switch still sold 57K last week which beats week 11 2019 so it's not like there weren't any units anywhere.
But only 11 801 Switch. Switch Lite didn't have shortages issues, but the number of regular Switch available was very low.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but you can't compare to Pokemon Sword/Shield launch for example, because it weren't shortages during weeks before its launch. Same for Smash Bros. Ultimate launch.
You can and will - just need to add the relevant context when comparing these numbers.
A 400k week will always need some kind of preparation and setup to be achieved, thats a given - in this case it was Nintendo saving up some consoles for a big software launch. During the Holiday and NY launches from Pokemon/Smash it wasnt possible and needed to that amount, most people know that Switch could have likely sold even more back then.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is 7M in the cards? Likely, no?
Pokémon did 2M within 3 days (edit: 2 days, actually!) in America and within 6 days in Europe.
Early insights suggest New Horizons is selling as good as Pokémon Sword/Shield in a certain part of the US market. And Pokémon did 2M within 3 days (edit: 2 days, actually!)
The majority of Europe is homebound, so there should be a spike in (digital) video game sales. Just like everywhere else, Animal Crossing has won a lot of terrain since New Leaf. I'm not sure if it would be as big as Pokémon, which did 2M within 6 days in Europe, but I hope I'm wrong.
I'd say 7 million is not a lock, but definitely realistic.

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing where Animal Crossing is today when Nintendo didn't release the N64 original ooutside Japan and they released the GCN game in Europe over 2 years after it's US release. Amazing.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Pokémon did 2M within 3 days in America and within 6 days in Europe.
Early insights suggest New Horizons is selling as good as Pokémon Sword/Shield in a certain part of the US market. And Pokémon did 2M within 3 days.
The majority of Europe is homebound, so there should be a spike in (digital) video game sales. Just like everywhere else, Animal Crossing has won a lot of terrain since New Leaf. I'm not sure if it would be as big as Pokémon, which did 2M within 6 days in Europe, but I hope I'm wrong.
I'd say 7 million is not a lock, but definitely realistic.

Oh sorry I meant for Japan lifetime.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its fucking wild how many people are playing this on my friends list. Plus a bunch of random people on Facebook. I'm glad I jumped on the hype as I'm enjoying it a lot as my first animal crossing.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
x1igpykl2rl41.png

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, didn't expect AC to whoop Pokemon's arse this hard. And to think of, both will likely continue selling well enough, AC because it's AC and Pokemon due to the DLC and no third game this time.

As of now, this img should have the text changed to "Once again, I am thanking for your financial support."

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just sheer mind boggling numbers. Really curious about the worldwide sales.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy is thing is actually that it seems it might have *comfortably* beat the opening week sales record with a moderate digital sales ratio.

Actually, hardware sales are pretty crazy also. I think that is the biggest non-launch, non-holiday week for a console ever.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
new leaf ended up selling 8 times its launch week in its lifetime (and it's not yet truly done selling). with similar legs new horizons can get to some crazy numbers.

These are incredibles numbers, NH will climb in the top chart of best selling game ever in Japan but in no way will it get close to 8 times its first week numbers... which would be 14-15M for retail only

Animal Crossing New Leaf having such an abnormal high ratio was largely due to supply constraint, New Horizon reaching 3 times its FW sales retail would put it at 5.6M already, making it to ~7M with digital, it might be the target to look at we'll see in the future.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Hey, quality won.

Considering the coronavirus situation all over the world, the digital share on this game is going to be absolutely massive. History in the making, for real.

Zeppin

Mar 24, 2020
Prague, CZ
Aye, although Animal Crossing is also a series that's tailor made for digital. I'm playing for hours a day right now but 6 months from now it's ideal for popping in and out for 15 minutes

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the clarification on the numbers not including digital sales, guys (haven't quoted you all, sorry).

This is great news for AC. Great that retail sales did so well.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Not bad for a niche franchise!

In all seriousness though, this Is insane. I imagine the digital numbers being pretty ridiculous too.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Crazy and even more impressive given what's happeing around the world right now if these are physical sales.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's next meeting with investors is going to be wild

72190265_409272919789314_7677309459563020288_o.jpg

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
How have hardware sales been that high? Haven't they been facing stock issues for months and sales haven't been good? I thought there literally wouldn't be enough switches to meet demand

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Easily the best first party game I've played on Switch since 2017, a superb new entry, well deserved.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy and even more impressive given what's happening around the world right now if these are physical sales.
These are physical sales (including download cards which are sold physically and which Famitsu tracks), no "If". Also, in Japan there is generally no lockdown (though schools are closed and I think there was some kind of national holiday on Friday).

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
They've honestly nailed their software strategy with the Switch and it's unrecognisable when compared to the Wii U.

The big, single player system sellers came out early and games like AC and Pokemon are capatalising on both the install base but also cheaper hardware on the market. The amount of people I know that have gone out and purchased a Switch for either AC or Pokemon is insane.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
You know, I think that delay was for the best. They had no way of knowing, of course, but the stumbled into the best possible release date for this game. It's absurd.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Nook retakes the face of Animal Crossing after Isabelle had it for a short time.

Tom Nook Always wins

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing moving up the hierarchy of Nintendo heavy hitters. Might be a top three system selling franchise for them now in the vein of Mario Kart, Smash and Pokemon.