• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
I personally hoped that they would have changed the 1 island restriction per console. But nope seems to still be in place, which is a shame as my wife has banned me from her island. I also know I am not the only one in this situation.

But to have this also be the reason why cloud saves don't work.... yeah I am a little salty about this whole affair.

I am also usually a big defender of Nintendo.... before anyone accuses me of otherwise.

So I thought I would make this thread to collect all the complaints.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Online, when people leaving the island, makes a big cut scene and mad loading times just for someone to drop out. It does this for each person unless the host boots everyone at the same time.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
The one island thing is annoying me too.

i started the game first, therefore I'm the main player and the islands progress will follow my play time.
My wife will play this more frequently than myself over the next few weeks as she's working from home.
so her experience is limited to what I've done.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Game is way too relaxing to even think about reason to complain about something.

Obviously, as many games, it has it flaws but right now i just enjoy the ride.

It came at a perfect time considering whats going on in the world right now.

So relax

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
This is the main reason I don't want to buy the game, despite it being one of my most-anticipated games since its announcement. I want my own island. I live with someone who loves AC as much as I do but, as a stay-at-home husband, he has way more time to play than I do. Why would I buy a game where I'm only going to be a passive participant?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like the way my pixel designs look as pixels than they do as smoothed images.

ETqc0qdVAAAuSHW

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've only just started, and I'm restricted to a super small piece of land that's completely restricted all the way around by a river I can't cross yet.

I know eventually I'll be able to jump over it, but for the first couple of days, I've only had a tiny space to play about in.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Lol I hear you; that's pretty fucking harsh though for your wife to BAN you from playing. The 2nd player is basically just there to help out. You can gather resources, collect stuff, build things, and design, while only player one can progress the story in the beginning, as far as I've heard.

I bought the game for my wife and initially started playing last night before reading about the 2-player complaints so I restarted and let her create the island instead since she'll be spending more time on it. She played for a while this morning, then I created my character and jumped in.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is so far. I haven't run into any roadblocks yet. I got all the same tutorials she did, crafted a fishing pole, butterfly net, and campfire, collected a whole bunch of stuff, placed and organized my tent, browsed the shop, and had a ton of fun before I took a break just now.

Unless player 1 is seriously power gaming I can't imagine having nothing to do as player 2. I can't wait to jump in again and try co-op with my wife to finish collecting resources together for the day.

Our first time playing an AC game btw.

Oct 27, 2017
It drives me crazy that you can't reorganize your inventory! Especially in the upfront where your tools are constantly breaking. The only solution I've found is to dump your whole inventory on the ground and pick them up in the order you want them. Why can't they just add a "hold this button to move item within inventory" thing?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I know streamers who have multiple Switches to have more than one island LOL. This business model is like Pokémon on crack.

Rabbit Clock

Oct 25, 2017
Tool durability is pointless. It's just a way to slow you down from progressing too fast except it's cheap enough to just buy multiple flimsy tools. It just adds an extra layer of unnecessary busy work to the game.

It drives me crazy that you can't reorganize your inventory! Especially in the upfront where your tools are constantly breaking. The only solution I've found is to dump your whole inventory on the ground and pick them up in the order you want them. Why can't they just add a "hold this button to move item within inventory" thing?

Hold A on the item you want to move.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I bought it, and it's my Switch, but wife is the main player (more hours).

I was a little disappointed I couldn't have my own island and name it, but in the end I like that we share the same virtual space and my tent is next to her house. There are things I don't get to decide and participate in for gameplay, but I feel it's minor.

We're discussing buying a Switch lite for her to have her own account, but given the stock shortage maybe that's not necessary.

It's similar to real-life -- give and take. In the end, if you and your partner have a certain mindset, the experience together can be as joyful.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? Can you explain this a bit more since I wasn't aware of anything like this.
I'm the player 2 in my household and you basically can't do shit. Nook doesn't give you the time of day.

We have new villagers moving in and the task my wife has to do is make some furniture for them. Nook gave her all the recipes and set up boxes for her to donate furniture in, but I didn't get tgem, can't get them, and even if I did I can't interact with the donation boxes.

It's wild that Nintendo has basically DRM locked the full game to one player per system.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
I let my girlfriend try out the game because she only plays the Sims and I thought this might be similar enough but also enough of a departure to broaden her horizons (no pun intended), and she's really taken to it, which is great. But we'd both really rather have our own islands and the Switch has now become a hot commodity in our house. What makes this frustrating is that I'd even be willing to buy her her own Switch and copy of the game, but there's no way to transfer her progress to the new Switch, and she's too invested to want to start over. And if I bought a new Switch so that I could play Animal Crossing on it, I'd still be cut off from the rest of my games/saves. Amazing game but these issues are definitely frustrating.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only just started, and I'm restricted to a super small piece of land that's completely restricted all the way around by a river I can't cross yet.

I know eventually I'll be able to jump over it, but for the first couple of days, I've only had a tiny space to play about in.

This is bugging me too, although I've been grinding and devouring so many resources in my first couple days there's something exciting about having over half of my island still uncharted--gives me something to look forward to tomorrow! That said, I wish they gave you an option to unlock the pole earlier (like offering it as a buyable item when you visit an uncharted island).

Oct 27, 2017
Tool durability is pointless. It's just a way to slow you down from progressing too fast except it's cheap enough to just buy multiple flimsy tools. It just adds an extra layer of unnecessary busy work to the game.

Hold A on the item you want to move.
Goodness, thank you! Tried googling this yesterday but all the top hits were about how to expand your inventory.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
First time I'm playing AC, after watching my daughter play yesterday, I decided to try it also. As a new AC player, I would say it seems a bit restrictive (land, things to do, things you can have), moreover after one week of Minecraft Realms. I guess I don't get it, yet?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the player 2 in my household and you basically can't do shit. Nook doesn't give you the time of day.

We have new villagers moving in and the task my wife has to do is make some furniture for them. Nook gave her all the recipes and set up boxes for her to donate furniture in, but I didn't get tgem, can't get them, and even if I did I can't interact with the donation boxes.

It's wild that Nintendo has basically DRM locked the full game to one player per system.
Wow what the fuck. I was considering getting the game this week but I would also have to share it with my wife. I don't know how much she'd be into the game so if either of us starts playing it more than the other and isn't the main player it would become a huge pain in the ass. What a load of bullshit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Generally I love it but there are so many quality of life improvements they could have made. Pocket camp is easier to live with in some aspects

- id like to be able to split stacks in half so I can put half in storage or drop for someone. Only being able to take one off at a time is a pain

- I want a cursor or some Method to see where I'm going to dig a hole or plant flowers or water the ground. odd rolling camera angle Makes it more difficult than it should be.

- for watering and planting I'd like to be able to strafe for speed.

- online should be persistent. Let me go to the airport to chage access settings but the island can live online and then sync back up with me later. I want to easily trade with people but the current system hasnt changed in years and it's horrible. Makes you not want to bother

- blathers makes me donate the first 15 items one at a time with multiple pages of the same script playing out each time. Painful. Nintendo have some lovely dialogue but it's like wading through syrup sometimes (not unique to AC..)

-they introduce so many tools it takes half your inventory at the start. Put them on a separate section maybe

- they tell you about eating the delicious fruit but don't mention it'll smash the limited number of rocks with one hit - the rocks you need to farm for iron early in the game to get the store built. That should have warned you the first time you do it I think. So many people in the main thread falling foul of that

- tool durability is dumb. You don't have a backpack or enough inventory space to have a spare like you might in mine craft. So a tool breaking is just an inconvenient mandatory trip to the store or a bench to make/buy another one. They aren't difficult or expensive so it's just Unnecessary busywork

basically - take a long hard look at minecraft, Stardew valley and dragon quest builders and steal the best practices

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
Also for all you multiple player households, there's a glitch that if you catch a new bug/fish as the non-primary character in local multiplayer, it will NOT count towards your Nook Miles task for catching new stuff.

And since it can never be new again you're just boned.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yeah, this is exactly what I needed. Playing as the second islander so far has been shit because it's so limited. I'm surprised more people didn't bring this up, was it mentioned in many reviews?

I can't donate anything to Tom Nook, I can't choose where buildings or shops go, I straight up just wasn't given some tutorials and crafting recipes, and I don't know how true this is but apparently only the main islander gets given gifts by the other animal. This is all super super shitty for the second player, I wanted to have a shared island but not when my experience is gimped in so many ways.

I really hope Nintendo change this in the future because right now it's a mess. It's sad that more people aren't complaining about this because I see it just being pushed to the wayside.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Also for all you multiple player households, there's a glitch that if you catch a new bug/fish as the non-primary character in local multiplayer, it will NOT count towards your Nook Miles task for catching new stuff.

And since it can never be new again you're just boned.

Hih, is this true though? That seems game-breaking if it can never be new again.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
Hih, is this true though? That seems game-breaking if it can never be new again.
It's true, I tested it last night. Caught a new bug as the sub player, switched, my Nook Miles task didn't increase but it was in my Critterpedia. Caught the same bug again in singleplayer and still nothing.

Definitely something they'll need to patch.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Hold A and you can move items around...

Status
Not open for further replies.