• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem is waiting 30 sec everytime someone join in, or the lack of multiplayer features, otherwise it's working fine, I played 3 hours online today.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. It's not particularly good, but it does the job. There are a bunch of nice improvements over New Leaf and a bunch of steps back. Same as usual

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It is still cumbersome, and while making it feel like an actual airport terminal is quirky, in reality you're still waiting minutes before jumping into playing with someone else. It was a painful system in New Leaf and it is still a painful system now.

It's as if Nintendo sacrifices efficiency in order to make their online mode make thematic sense - so rather than just hopping in to someone's world, they need to contextualise it in the world by having a plane and setting off and landing sequence. I get it, but it doesn't appeal after you've seen it a few times.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
No issues here either. As for the menus and conversations... that's just the vibe with animal crossing. Honestly I'm impressed more than anything with how seamless and robust the messaging features are.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely incredible that we have to pay for this shit.

I assumed something that would make sense like an island that's always open. Setting permissions for certain people with the default not allowing them to destroy things or harvest limited materials. But this... It's one thing to have to manually go open the gates... But then you get a loading screen every single time someone wants to leave or join, and I'm pretty sure you can hold people hostage by just staying engaged in dialogue with an NPC.

It's kind of mind-blowing that this game's got a 91 on Metacritic. Why's this game reviewed as if no other game in its genre exists? Every single second of the game makes me feel like the game doesn't actually want to be played. Want to sell your items? You can conveniently throw them in a box to sell them with no loading screens or anything... But they're sold at a reduced price compared to going into the shop (loading screen), digging through all the dialogue with one of the Nook kids, and then leaving the shop, which also engages dialogue and a loading screen.

Want iron, stone, or clay? Well, they're nowhere near as easy to obtain as wood, because you've gotta go travel to another island for 2k points just to get maybe 10 iron.

Reminds me of Runescape in a way, where absolutely everything is a major inconvenience to the player, and it doesn't feel like a game that was meant to be enjoyed.

I continue to play it because everybody I know is playing it, kind of like when I played Pokemon GO for a week at launch, or like how I continued to watch Game of Thrones after it became trash.

Some of you are really offended by the fact that most people seem to have no Issues with the online.
Most people haven't even been able to play online yet. Online literally just unlocked today for most people playing the game.

Last edited:

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
the issue isn't the camera, it's the fact that only the "leader" can use items and tools and talk

not sure if you've played the game. Online you have separate cameras, only local play on a single switch has this issue. Also to use items and tools online, you have to add someone as a best friend.

Also, I've had a group of 7 people joining islands all morning with no issue whatsoever.

Oct 27, 2017
In MHW when you start a quest you are essentially starting a online room anyone can join at any point.

Opening your gate in Animal Crossing should be just like opening a quest in Mon Hun. You can lock it so that only those with the passcode can join if you are so inbliged or you can just open it to the public. Then people could look up what islands are available for visiting and then pick one and go.
That's literally what it is. I don't understand how it's different. The only difference is there's no option to open it to the public without a passcode. Having to pause everything when someone is just arriving is annoying though

Only axes and shovels, though. You can use everything else.
Yeah, online restricts "destructive" tools to best friends, for obvious reasons

It is still cumbersome, and while making it feel like an actual airport terminal is quirky, in reality you're still waiting minutes before jumping into playing with someone else. It was a painful system in New Leaf and it is still a painful system now.
I think the airport is to mask the loading. I don't think they're intentionally making the process take longer than it needs to just for the airport stuff

Dari

Feb 14, 2019
Spain
Though I did had issues with the local multiplayer giving errors every 4-5 minutes, my biggest complain is the huge amount of menus, dialogues and loading screens you have to accept to connect with other players. It's quite annoying.

Other than that, I'm enjoying this game a lot. I'm loving it so far.

jerd

Oct 26, 2017
Whole system is definitely cumbersome but yeah I've been playing in a group of 5 all day with no issues jumping from island to island

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had issues at all today.

As for the menus and NPCs to accept people, its just the New Leaf way of doing it so I got used to it.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I've had zero issues so far and it's been such an a great time playing with friends. That's a bummer some people are having issues.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
What you mean by potential??
most fans are happy by the game and how improve on past ones, most complains are from missing some content from past games.
I think that a platform like the Switch allows for more growth. Bigger towns, free camera, more verticality. That's what I imagined Animal Crossing to be when the Switch came out and I don't think anything like those ideas are too crazy ambitious to implement. Please note that I'm not saying the game is bad. Like I said, I am enjoying it. I also know that obviously most people are loving it too, but that doesn't mean that it could've been even better. Take Zelda for example, when the Wii U came out a lot of people would've been fine with a Zelda that was like that Giant Spider demo that they showed at E3, which is basically Twilight Princess but in HD. I don't think many people thought of a massive open world as something that the series needed but when people got it they loved it.

Apr 21, 2018
I figure that the servers are being overloaded on the opening days and it's mostly maintenance issues they'll work out.

For major Nintendo releases I'd rank it:

Great:
None

Good:
Splatoon 2
ARMS
Mario Kart 8

Bad:
Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario Maker 2

Unknown to me:
Pokemon / Pokken

I have a feeling Animal Crossing will fall between Good and Bad.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I didn't realize that. That's even lamer. You know, after Splatoon 1 and 2 I was excited that this team was building experience with multiplayer and online, but in retrospective, and as much as I adore those two games, they weren't a good sign for Animal Crossing's MP lol.

Ive since found out this was wrong

both players can use items and tools but only the leader gets a pocket and can use the menu and enter doors

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
You have to enter a code????

I visited two of my friends islands yesterday and no code was entered. I said I wanted to visit an island, and then selected the friends island from the list.....and I went straight there with zero issues.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Online has worked flawlessly for me and 8 other friends. It takes a little long to connect "fly over", but it's not bad at all.

silverhick

Oct 25, 2017
Been loving it so far and haven't gone online yet but I'm bummed there is no option for playing multiplayer with randoms. The island was a blast in New Leaf and I actually met a lot of cool people that way. Hopefully it's coming at some point.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I've had a flawless connection so far but the fact that the game has to stop every time someone joins is unacceptable. The only person that should have a loading screen is whoever to coming to an island. I don't see what would be the hangup that doesn't allow more seamless joining. It's 2020 and I don't understand how it's essentially the same as it was in New Leaf.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The online is fucking horrible

nothing like finally getting onto a island and having the game freeze action every 30 seconds for another 2 minute long arrival.

why can't people load in with out all the fan fare and constant save states.

why do i even need dodo codes and Nintendo friends codes. Just let me go to a random island to shake trees Nintendo.

when will they ever fix their online?

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
The process is exactly the same as previous AC games. With a few tweaks, like Dodo codes, which make connecting with strangers much more straightforward.

It works fine. I've been online all day with zero issues.

Your WiFi sucks.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
If you're playing with people and plan to use in-game chat, make sure you install the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app and link the Animal Crossing sub-app in your games main menu settings. You can type on your smart device and it's much better. Message limit is a little short, but it's very easy to type this way.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
The real problem with the online seems to be a poor tolerance for bad connections. I've only used it once and it was rock solid but both of us had excellent connections.

Oct 27, 2017
why do i even need dodo codes and Nintendo friends codes. Just let me go to a random island to shake trees Nintendo.

??? Why the fuck would the game allow you to go a random person's island? How can you not understand the purpose of dodo codes?
They're to restrict who can go. You can always freely open your island to friends if you want and they don't have to enter in anything

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The process is exactly the same as previous AC games. With a few tweaks, like Dodo codes, which make connecting with strangers much more straightforward.

It works fine. I've been online all day with zero issues.

Your WiFi sucks.
This is such a bad response.

I'm sorry but you're playing it down because you like the game. I'm like what? 10-12 hours in? I adore the game

The online is bad

if you visit a island that is open to the public and you have to stop what you're doing every single time a new player joins? Is horrible game design. It's horrible. The person should just appear.
Everyone on the island shouldn't have to be frozen in place and watch the incoming players loading screen. That is poor poor decision.

I can only pray that Microsoft or Sony makes a similar game with a more seamless online experience.

if i open up my gates to my friends and me and my friends have to sit through saved screens and loading screens when we are already there on the island? That is just backwards. Why can't Nintendo get this online thing right?

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bad response.

I'm sorry but you're playing it down because you like the game. I'm like what? 10-12 hours in? I adore the game

The online is bad

if you visit a island that is open to the public and you have to stop what you're doing every single time a new player joins? Is horrible game design. It's horrible. The person should just appear.
Everyone on the island shouldn't have to be frozen in place and watch the incoming players loading screen. That is poor poor decision.

I can only pray that Microsoft or Sony makes a similar game with a more seamless online experience.

if i open up my gates to my friends and me and my friends have to sit through saved screens and loading screens when we are already there on the island? That is just backwards. Why can't Nintendo get this online thing right?
I'm just used to it. It's how Animal Crossing has been since the DS version. It's not a reflection of Nintendo or their abilities. It's a design choice by the producers of Animal Crossing. There is nothing "tragic" about the online mode.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Had the opposite experience. I was actually surprised with how well it worked. My friend opened her gate and I just joined with no problems and we had a blast. Sometimes when I went to pick up weeds very rarely my character would wait a bit before picking it up due to probably syncing up with the server, but that's the only thing I even noticed. Didn't have any of those other problems listed.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Had a lot of fun with the online already. But I was expecting similar to New Leaf and it is. But sending letters to friends is awesome, no longer any need to visit eachother's islands for simple swapping of items etc.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty awful, and the issues have absolutely nothing to do with quality of internet connection. You can't join someone's game if they are in a menu or talking to someone and have to keep trying hoping that they are no longer doing those things. Then if you do manage to get in, you get a message telling you to please close your menus since someone is trying to join. You then have to watch a loading screen of that person's join progress. And then you also have to watch a thing if someone leaves. It's ridiculous.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually found it to be surprisingly smooth. The only issue I've had was it couldn't find a local play session. But we had access to internet so we just did it online instead and it was fine.

As far as the NPC stuff and all that, it can be a little tedious but I like it. It gives the whole experience charm in a nice AC kind of way. I wouldn't want it to just be standard connect menu option type stuff.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah, it's pretty awful, and the issues have absolutely nothing to do with quality of internet connection. You can't join someone's game if they are in a menu or talking to someone and have to keep trying hoping that they are no longer doing those things. Then if you do manage to get in, you get a message telling you to please close your menus since someone is trying to join. You then have to watch a loading screen of that person's join progress. And then you also have to watch a thing if someone leaves. It's ridiculous.
For real. There is no defending just how cumbersome it is. Talking to the dodo and stuff is fine, I like it. But all the extra stuff shouldn't even happen. It's bad enough when 1 person comes over but a group of 7? It's a fuckin mess. Just got done with an 8 player session and it makes me not want to do it again it's so time consuming.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It is what it is at this point, they are never going to get better. Even if you can connect reliably, which is debatable, the mechanics and design around online in their games is archaic and cumbersome. From what I've seen and read about this game, it's no different.